As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hear me, A[chat]erasu!

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This chapter is now up to 28,000 words.

Still so much to do.

:(

BobCesca on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Gays can't hold teaching positions in the US?

Nerdgasmic on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    japan wrote: »
    My 100GB backup run ran out of space on the fileserver.

Irritatingly, It copied all the directories that just had a couple of big files in them completely, and partially copied the folders with hundreds of files and multiple layers of directory, so I can't just shuffle stuff around, I'll have to run it again.

Yeah but rsync will skip what was already done. Diff transfers etc.

I still have to move a significant amount of stuff from one drive to another to make space, which is what's going to take the time. Basically I'm moving the largest couple of directories to another drive on the server, then I'll move those directories (on the source machine) to another directory temporarily, delete the big stuff from the drive I pointed rsync at initially, and re-sync.

Ok, why not just buy some huge hard disks instead?

After 6 terabytes or so you'll find it really hard to actually use more then about 66% of it. I'm setting up a complete mirror of the ubuntu repositories because I can.

electricitylikesme on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Irritatingly, It copied all the directories that just had a couple of big files in them completely, and partially copied the folders with hundreds of files and multiple layers of directory, so I can't just shuffle stuff around, I'll have to run it again.

I still have to move a significant amount of stuff from one drive to another to make space, which is what's going to take the time. Basically I'm moving the largest couple of directories to another drive on the server, then I'll move those directories (on the source machine) to another directory temporarily, delete the big stuff from the drive I pointed rsync at initially, and re-sync.

After 6 terabytes or so you'll find it really hard to actually use more then about 66% of it. I'm setting up a complete mirror of the ubuntu repositories because I can.

Because I will be buying a house relatively soon (hopefully), which means I can run Cat6 to every room and have a cupboard with a big Gigabit switch and a purpose-built fileserver in it. Until then I'm using what I've got.

Moving costs are one of those things for which you can never have enough money, so I'm not spending any money if I can avoid it until the move is done.

japan on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd like to try playing the phalla, but I'm scared.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    edited September 2009

Because I will be buying a house relatively soon (hopefully), which means I can run Cat6 to every room and have a cupboard with a big Gigabit switch and a purpose-built fileserver in it. Until then I'm using what I've got.

Moving costs are one of those things for which you can never have enough money, so I'm not spending any money if I can avoid it until the move is done.

Does Cat6 have a shield? My house is Cat5e at the moment but I'm positive it's not the greatest GigE environment.

electricitylikesme on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cat6??

Did you like, upgrade it with cybernetic implants? Use genetic engineering for softer fur and a nicer meow?

James on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    nothing to be scared of. It just sucks for you because youre in a different timezone.

Aldo on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I approve of a Frosteey [chat].

Nocturne on
    edited September 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    nothing to be scared of. It just sucks for you because youre in a different timezone.

Yeah :?

Honk on
    edited September 2009

Do eeeeeeeeeeet.

Yeah like Aldo said the timezone thing sucks. However, this is a faction phalla, which means you will have teammates to help you out so you won't be on your own. Probably one of the best ones to join.

Nocturne on
    edited September 2009
    I'll have to try one at some point so I guess I'll go see if there are some spots left.

Honk on
    edited September 2009
    Does Cat6 have a shield? My house is Cat5e at the moment but I'm positive it's not the greatest GigE environment.

You can get foil-shielded Cat6, but it's expensive as hell. The usual stuff is similar to Cat5e, either UTP or solid core. I'm hoping I shouldn't need shielded cable because I'll be able to make sure I'm not running it in the same conduit as a TV drop or next to mains wiring.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out is if you can run PoE over Cat6. One of the things I'd like to do is put a wireless access point high up on a wall in the middle of the house, and it would be a hell of a lot neater if I don't have to run power to it as well.

EDIT: I think foil-shielded cable needs special wallplates and things as well.

japan on
    edited September 2009
    Dammit Honk, I think that one filled up like three spots before you posted :(

I've been planning on running a mini. If I get my shit together I will reserve you a spot :D

Nocturne on
    edited September 2009

You can get foil-shielded Cat6, but it's expensive as hell. The usual stuff is similar to Cat5e, either UTP or solid core. I'm hoping I shouldn't need shielded cable because I'll be able to make sure I'm not running it in the same conduit as a TV drop or next to mains wiring.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out is if you can run PoE over Cat6. One of the things I'd like to do is put a wireless access point high up on a wall in the middle of the house, and it would be a hell of a lot neater if I don't have to run power to it as well.

That doesn't seem like it has much point then. Unless you somehow have a house with a sensible arrangement for ducting cables you're going to end up threading that stuff through anywhere you can find. Hence my desire for shielded cable...man why didn't we go with coax for networking?

electricitylikesme on
    edited September 2009
    There was a time I was a fanatic phalla player. Then I remembered that videogames are a better waste of time.

Aldo on
    edited September 2009
    Also, Miranda Devine complaining about veterinary bills compared to subsidized government healthcare? Really? God I wish she'd just die already.

electricitylikesme on
    edited September 2009
    There was a time I was a fanatic phalla player. Then I remembered that videogames are a better waste of time.

This is true. However, I spent 8 hours a day 5 days a week at a computer with lots of downtime. Playing videogames at work is a little bit more difficult.

Nocturne on
    edited September 2009

That doesn't seem like it has much point then. Unless you somehow have a house with a sensible arrangement for ducting cables you're going to end up threading that stuff through anywhere you can find. Hence my desire for shielded cable...man why didn't we go with coax for networking?

What doesn't seem like it has much point?

The runs can go wherever I want them to. I'm going to be adding it as I decorate so it's not a problem to cut channels in the plaster to fix conduit.

The biggest issue I can see is avoiding the ring main (since it, by definition , loops round the whole room) if I have to run cable under the floor on the ground floor. For the first floor it's easy to drop cables from above the ceiling.

japan on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pushing Tin wasn't bad. It had a lot of potential. I wish they'd remake it with the same actors all grown up now, I think it would be perfect now that they have more experience.

Passerbye on
    edited September 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »

This is true. However, I spent 8 hours a day 5 days a week at a computer with lots of downtime. Playing videogames at work is a little bit more difficult.

Oh, yeah, I'm still in college. I get to plan my own time (:

Aldo on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I need to buy an external hard drive - should I go for size/value - or are there are things that I should be looking for - e.g. fancy back up/mirroring options or the like? I don't have requirements for loads of space

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited September 2009

What doesn't seem like it has much point?

The runs can go wherever I want them to. I'm going to be adding it as I decorate so it's not a problem to cut channels in the plaster to fix conduit.

The biggest issue I can see is avoiding the ring main (since it, by definition , loops round the whole room) if I have to run cable under the floor on the ground floor. For the first floor it's easy to drop cables from above the ceiling.

I'd prefer to be able to basically run cable without worrying about the location of the mains wiring.

electricitylikesme on
    edited September 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Dammit Honk, I think that one filled up like three spots before you posted :(

I've been planning on running a mini. If I get my shit together I will reserve you a spot :D

Ah well, I should have decided faster as I know they fill up pretty quickly.

That's very nice of you though, and I would definitely be interested!

Honk on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Posting in the Republican or Democrat thread, good idea?

Y/N

Passerbye on
  • Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Well looking at the thread, I would say neither. It is an independent idea.

Phil G. on
    edited September 2009
    No, never. Don't do it.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited September 2009
    Ehn, I put conditions on it.

I foresee a couple of comments, and then my post being ignored. I'm just curious to see how the OP reacts to it.

Passerbye on
    edited September 2009
    Passerbye, I told you to stay off this case.

You're a loose cannon, Passerbye.

But a damned good poster.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited September 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Passerbye, I told you to stay off this case.

You're a loose cannon, Passerbye.

But a damned good poster.

What now?

[tiny]Stop! You're making me blush. I'm just being honest.[/tiny]

Passerbye on
    edited September 2009
    I'm too old for this forum.

Nerdgasmic on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, 500 Days of Summer really dropped the ball right at the end.
    One of the main themes running throughout the movie is 'no such thing as true love'. The very last scene is a 'lol or is it? (and heavily suggests that yes there is such a thing)'.

Leitner on
    edited September 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    I'm too old for this forum.

How old are you?

Passerbye on
    edited September 2009
    Oh, I was just quoting some catch phrase.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blargh. The gym was closed. I really wish they would announce these things in some other method than a poster on the door.

On the plus side I bought bowls and a duck. Mojo's gonna have a roast duck for dinner like the gentleman he is.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited September 2009
    Someone should start either a (1) party for people who think immigrants-are-kind-of-cute-and-we-should-not-be-mean-to-them-OK? or (2) a SCIENCE party of people who do not disagree with widely accepted scientific proof.

Aldo on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Someone should start either a (1) party for people who think immigrants-are-kind-of-cute-and-we-should-not-be-mean-to-them-OK? or (2) a SCIENCE party of people who do not disagree with widely accepted scientific proof.
    Sounds like my kind of party. Here's my manifesto
    1) Using facts as a factor in policy decision
    2) Hot bitches

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited September 2009
    Mojo, I would like to subscribe to your party's newsletter.

Passerbye on
    edited September 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Sounds like my kind of party. Here's my manifesto
    1) Using facts as a factor in policy decision
    2) Hot bitches

I think I agree with your manifesto.

Aldo on
    edited September 2009
    Nerdgasmic on
This discussion has been closed.