As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer won't run with 6gigs of ram

Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
The Problem:
I've recently built a system and whenever I seat 6 gigs of ram (using 3x2gig sticks) the computer BSODs within 20 min. Using 4 gigs (using 2x2gig sticks) I have no problems.

Components:
OCZ DDR3 PC3-106 (in 2gig sticks)
MSI X58 Pro Motherboard

What I've Tried:
Different OS (Happens in both Win7 64bit and WinXP)
Reseating RAM (Yes, I did follow the instruction manual and put them in the right place. Then I tried everything else)
Switching RAM (All sticks work in the 4 gig total configuration)

So I'm really at a loss here, I have no idea what to do. I don't suspect the mobo because it works (sorta) and the ram looks ok. I've heard that changing the voltage going to the ram might help, but I cannot change it in my BIOS.

calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
Kris_xK on

• Options
    TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is that 64 bit Win7/WinXP? Or 32 bit?

Just need to get that out of the way first since 32 bit OS cannot use more than 4 gigs total ram.

Tzyr on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The thing is that it wouldn't crash. A 32-bit OS can only use a maximum of 4GBs total, that is, both RAM and VRAM from the video card. That said, it still wouldn't just crash.

I'm willing to bet that this is a thing though, since he mentioned XP and no one in their right mind would use XP64.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sorry, it's 64 bit Win7

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    memtest, run 2 sticks at a time, test all 6 slots sequentially

edit: also, your memory is on the compatibility list for that motherboard right? have you checked to see if it has any BIOS updates that address your issue?

travathian on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    memtest, run 2 sticks at a time, test all 6 slots equentially

Did that when I was doing the stick swaps. No issues.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does your motherboard support 6GB of RAM?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Did you buy the RAM as a three-channel package? or is it a dual channel package of two and a third stick you picked up at the same time? how are you installing it? just in the blue (1-3-5) or just in sequential slots (1-2-3)?

If triple-channel is the same as dual channel was, if the ram wasn't packaged as pairs (or triplets now I guess) it could cause the problems you're having now.

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    TiosanTiosan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just heavily researched that mobo for the new rig I am piecing together and there's an inordinate amount of RMA's done for the current line of MSi motherboards because of bent pins on the CPU socket. Take a flashlight and shine it through the gap between the die and the socket and see if any pins aren't seated properly. If the pin carrying the signal from one of the ram slots is bent it could cause issues like you've described. That specific mobo seems to have several other issues as well, like the RAM being too close to stock cooling solutions for the CPU and the southbridge overheating, though I don't know if they would apply here.

Tiosan on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would look into BIOS updates and do some memory tests.

Dehumanized on