As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Saints Row: The Third - Awesome Button, Autotune Pimp, Mocap'd Sombreros!

• IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    Gansta Brawl I think will be perfect to play just to get people warmed up or while we are waiting for more to show up and get started. For the Strong Arm, under multiplayer there is a tutorial along with tutorials of all the various sub parts, people might want to check that out before hand so they know what is going on. I'll be the first to call anti-dibs on graffiti work because I am absolutely terrible at it with either k+m or gamepad.

That makes a lot of sense to do those quickie Gangsta Brawl's like that. The graffiti is streamlined in multiplayer. You only have to hold down Y button (keyboard E) for 30 seconds or so to spray. No mouse movement or staying in between the lines.

Don't forget game time is 2pm PST in just a few hours!

IdolNinja on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    As to the Win7 thing, I am running build 7100 with all available updates and all the latest approved drivers. Are those of you with Win7 having problems on older build? Older drivers?

Same Win7 build as you, with the newest nVidia drivers (on an i7/GTX260).

I get the fast-forward glitch and I'm also running the RC, I can try updating my graphics drivers as I think it's the ones Windows picked out for me. I'm on a Radeon 4870HD.

freakish light on
  • datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Damnit you guys, all of your screenshot shenanigans have caused me to buy this from D2D. This is not helping my already serious backlog issues.

Steam ID - miserium

Bastards.
    I kid.

datac0re on
    edited September 2009
    datac0re wrote: »
    Damnit you guys, all of your screenshot shenanigans have caused me to buy this from D2D. This is not helping my already serious backlog issues.

Steam ID - miserium

Bastards.
    I kid.

Invite sent.

Also, updated the OP with multiplayer info and performance info. Let me know if those min specs sound about right for the guys playing with that hardware.

IdolNinja on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    As to the Win7 thing, I am running build 7100 with all available updates and all the latest approved drivers. Are those of you with Win7 having problems on older build? Older drivers?

Same Win7 build as you, with the newest nVidia drivers (on an i7/GTX260).

I get the fast-forward glitch and I'm also running the RC, I can try updating my graphics drivers as I think it's the ones Windows picked out for me. I'm on a Radeon 4870HD.

8500/260 Here, rc7100 updated drivers.

To the person that said they were sick of compatibility errors? Besides ventrilo earlier in the RC, this is the first really bad issue Ive had so far.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Some other programs don't work. My copy of Need for Speed Most Wanted wouldn't even start, the RiffTrax DVD player fails every time I try to load one, my install of Windows Media Player started hardlocking the computer every time I tried to play a video file...

I'll still keep 7 around on a partition but I'd like to have a solution when it refuses to work, so I'll have XP too.

freakish light on
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    uvYtN.jpg

WE GOT IT IN THE HOOP

donhonk on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think all the problems with Saints Row 2 are directly related to the Load on Demand system the game has.

After doing some experimenting today, That seems to be the consistent problem, and why multi player runs so much better, since its usually just one chunk of world that doesnt require loading on demand as you travel.

It does not seem any graphic settings no matter how high or low affects the core problem of the LoD systems chugging, which only become more and more exacerbated the faster one travels.

I'm sure if you have a low end PC that the graphics quality settings can affect your chugging on top of the LoD system, but at its core, no matter how high end your system is, you are going to get significant chugging from the LoD systems extremely poor performance.

Buttcleft on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Some other programs don't work. My copy of Need for Speed Most Wanted wouldn't even start, the RiffTrax DVD player fails every time I try to load one, my install of Windows Media Player started hardlocking the computer every time I tried to play a video file...

I'll still keep 7 around on a partition but I'd like to have a solution when it refuses to work, so I'll have XP too.

seems your 7 install is borked, because I have NFSMW running sweet.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    uvYtN.jpg

WE GOT IT IN THE HOOP

This is from season three of The Boondocks, right?

(Seriously, though, WTF?)

Blain on
    edited September 2009
    No Boondocks Reference meant sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGc4OqQQ4Mw&fmt=22

New video up!

donhonk on
    edited September 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    No Boondocks Reference meant sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGc4OqQQ4Mw&fmt=22

New video up!

I can just see the creepy old man jumping off because he had a sudden urge to fuck the splattered stripper corpse.

Buttcleft on
  • MindstormMindstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ah, how delightful.

I just created a trashy big-headed englishman.

$5 well spent in my opinion. Of course, it crashed about twenty five minutes into the game, but that's alright. I can put up with it for this price. I'll have to try co-op soon. I'm terrified that I can pick a man's body and give him breasts, btw. When I accidentally sent that slider off to the left the first time... Nightmares.

Mindstorm on
    edited September 2009
    Mindstorm wrote: »
    Ah, how delightful.

$5 well spent in my opinion. Of course, it crashed about twenty five minutes into the game, but that's alright. I can put up with it for this price. I'll have to try co-op soon. I'm terrified that I can pick a man's body and give him breasts, btw. When I accidentally sent that slider off to the left the first time... Nightmares.

If that gives you nightmares, stay away from woggle and ninja

Buttcleft on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    so i was walking around and an NPC says "that's the last time i google 'people who love their dogs too much'"

:^:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Driving in a tricked out sports car and powersliding/firing a submachine gun at gangsters and police while "Everybody's Working for the Weekend" is playing pretty much made me giggle all over.

If only this game ran better...it's seriously making me want to pick this up for PS3 or 360 next time gamestop has a buy2-get-1-free sale.

Lionel-Richie on
  • WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Mindstorm wrote: »
    Ah, how delightful.

If that gives you nightmares, stay away from woggle and ninja

I've looked through all of the character options, and believe me that's a small taste of all the total possible nightmares. 8-)

Woggle on
  • kryoptickryoptic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I gave this another spin and somehow it was better the next few times I tried. I will second Buttcleft's (lol) observations about loading on demand. The faster I drive, the worse the lag gets. It probably also helped that I went into console mode on a virtual machine I have running.

I'd like to give multiplayer a try. I've never done anything social on Steam so I don't know if I'm doing this right. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988648741

kryoptic on
    edited September 2009
    first I'd recommend you make a custom URL so that it's easier to parse, and second your account is marked as private.

ed: Oh look it doesn't matter. invite sent.

freakish light on
  • kryoptickryoptic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    first I'd recommend you make a custom URL so that it's easier to parse, and second your account is marked as private.

ed: Oh look it doesn't matter. invite sent.

Many thanks.

kryoptic on
    edited September 2009
    Great games tonight guys. Play again tomorrow perhaps? (Oh its 12, so today?)

NEW SIG AND AVVY WOOO

donhonk on
    edited September 2009
    OP updated and formatted and added some best of pics from this game on.

Also, this pic with DigitalSyn almost slipped under the radar.

IdolNinja on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorry I missed the games earlier. Fell asleep for a while today since I wasn't feeling too well. Hopefully next time. I'd love to mess around with co-op sometime, too.

Adus on
    edited September 2009
    Man, the scariest thing was that dude I made for MP. So scary.
    And Idolninja and I had the funniest bug on coop yesterday.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2009

..Well what was it?

god damn you can't leave us hanging like that!

Buttcleft on
  • mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I was considering getting this $5 PC version since I loved the 360 version and I figured, "on PC it will be better 'cause there's mods!" And yet, there don't seem to be any. Am I missing some treasure-trove, or has the mod community avoided it thanks to the shitty port?

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
    edited September 2009

The scariest thing is Revenge's new multi character. I thought I had seen it all...

IdolNinja on
    edited September 2009
    mwoody wrote: »
    So I was considering getting this $5 PC version since I loved the 360 version and I figured, "on PC it will be better 'cause there's mods!" And yet, there don't seem to be any. Am I missing some treasure-trove, or has the mod community avoided it thanks to the shitty port?

The sale ended today, and it's back up to $30.

There are some mods, but from what I've read they have integration problems with each other, and are buggy. They're also going to cause problems if everyone you play with doesn't have the exact same everything. Considering that it involves modifying xml files and compiling it yourself, it sounds like a recipe for disaster if you're playing with other people. A couple of the modders on the Volition SR2 community forums are working on compiling all the stable good mods into one big package. It might be worth checking out once that's done.

Volition's Saint's Row 2 PC modding forum:
    http://community.saintsrow.com/viewforum.php?f=37

IdolNinja on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    you know that mission where they give you infinite grenades?

i love that mission.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The missions where you cause chaos in order for the news reporter to get more face time. Those are the best. Infinite RAWKET LAWNCHA.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • BistiboyBistiboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Picked it up last night. Seems to work well when I avoid the interstate.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/bistiboy/ Shoot me and invite!

Bistiboy on
    edited September 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

..Well what was it?

god damn you can't leave us hanging like that!

We couldn't enter the same car. One would take the other out. It isn't very funny telling it like this, but in-game it's hilarious. We had to race everywhere.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2009
    Every time I coop with DigitalSyn, it's like 2 hours of non-stop chaos, explosions, sombreros, and dead NPCs. If I ever need someone to go on a psychotic murdering spree, I'm calling him first. :^:

IdolNinja on
    edited September 2009
    Jelousy

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2009
    I got my PS3 Dual shock 3 to work with this game! Yesssss...I sacrifice some accuracy for weapons, but my driving and walking is sooo much better.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I almost got my PS3 controller to work with this, but the game doesn't want to acknowledge that I'm moving my left thumbstick left and right. This means that I can't turn my character nor any car that I'm driving.

Back to mouse and keyboard, I guess.

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
    edited September 2009
    Are you using the Xbox 360 input emulator? It's called like xbox360 controller emulator.

Lionel-Richie on
    edited September 2009
    Jelousy

Every time I coop with you it's like we're villains in an action packed, over the top comic book superhero movie. The heroes have taken the day off, and no one can stop us. :D

IdolNinja on
    edited September 2009
    All is forgiven.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.