As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Naki Draws

nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Artist's Corner
It's been a long while since I posted anything, but I'm back to share my latest works.

Lately, I've been working on some comics for the Orange County Star Wars Society. We're only three pages in, but I'm reasonably happy with it so far.

characterlineuppost.jpg

page1t.jpg

page2n.jpg

page3ch.jpg

I'll be posting some non-fan stuff next week after the holiday. Later!

nakirush on

• ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    you're using way too much lighting effects above your outlines.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

what?

Kendeathwalker on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

what?

he said YOU'RE USING WAY TOO MUCH LIGHTING EFFECTS ABOVE YOUR OUTLINES

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2009
    my bad, I meant this:

dcguideoneffects.jpg

In nearly every panel, naki's got some white soft-edged shape on top of the line art muddying things up.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I agree with ManonvonSuperock. You can use "special effects" in Photoshop, etc., but they need to be purposeful and tasteful. I think you could use the technique to highlight focal points of the panels, but right now it's too much. Some of your shading looks really good, especially on the Mon Cal. Don't obstruct it with too much haze! :)

NibCrom on
    edited September 2009
    I like the cut of your jib and the way you meticulously type out the entirety of my screen name, capitalization and all.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ManonvonSuperock it was probably a 'copy and paste job' :)

Arts good. Explore angles a little more.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, it was a copy and paste job. But I know who Manon is. :)

NibCrom on
    edited September 2009
    I feel so cheapened.

to get back on topic,

@dude
    You need to work on facial expressions as well.

You've got two shown: bored with an open mouth and bored with a closed mouth.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    @mano
    The concerns regarding the lighting effects are duely noted, however I disagree with you on this point. The general effect I was going for was something similar to that of an interrogation scene - harsh lighting. Probably not the best execution, so I will note it as something to keep an eye on.

As for the expressions - I completely agree. Faces have been my weakness for some time now. I'm going to make it a point to work on this in the upcoming pages.

Thanks all for the C&C!

nakirush on
    edited September 2009
    you just need to be more selective with it, you're doing it on:

the cover
    page 1- panels 1, 2, 7
    page 2- panels 1, 3, 5, 6, 8
    page 3- panels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

those include assorted interior and exterior shots. I don't think interrogation room is the feel you're trying to achieve for "in a peaceful valley" (1,1), "middle of a desert" (1,7), or "on a grassy knoll" (2,3).

As for the expressions, you should take a couple of your characters, and draw an assortment of facial expressions for them. don't worry about inking and coloring, just post them here as you do it.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited September 2009
    Haha, fair nuff! I shall tone it down as I go on.

Also, some faces -
    facesw.jpg

nakirush on
    edited September 2009
    page4x.jpg

-Lighting effects toned waaaaaaay down (actually, I don't think I used any on this page)
    -Experimenting with more camera angles
    -A non-bored expression?

nakirush on
    edited September 2009
    I think this is much improved. A couple of things:

Is the third panel supposed to be stairs/ramp? The way the leg is positioned, it looks like he just slipped.

Are they sitting on top of each other with the one guy looking out between the guy's legs? I'm all for unique seating positions in cars/vehicles, but I don't buy that one at all.

Is all of the purple supposed to be night sky? No stars?

Any reason for the brown gutter? I'm fine with it, I'm just curious.

The less haze is much improved. Continue to work on facial expressions/body language. People should have some idea of what is going on in the comic without even reading it.

Keep it up!

NibCrom on
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the crits/comments, NibCrom.

Yeah, the third panel is a ramp. I see what you mean with him looking like he's slipping.

Here's how the cockpit lines up from a side view.
    cockpitsideview.jpg
    Probably not the best camera angle for the shot in retrospect, but I was trying to avoid static side views and the like.

Not sure what you mean by a brown gutter. The purple is the sky. Laziness prevailed when it came to stars. :D

The next couple pages should give me some good expression practice, but I did promise some non-Star Wars stuff. So that will be coming next...

nakirush on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    On your first image, I really like the look you have going on with the typography... but the placement is horrible! You can't clearly read what it says...

MagicToaster on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    On your first image, I really like the look you have going on with the typography... but the placement is horrible! You can't clearly read what it says...

/signed
    That and I can't put a finger on it exactly but something about the panel layout just seems very "meh" to me. Most likely that the first 16 panels are all exaclty the same size/layout. Try varying it up a bit? I realize you're introducing all the sith and jedi and whatnot, but the beginning is probably one of the most important parts to catch your audience.

Prospicience on
    edited September 2009
    As promised, an original by me -
    snowninja.jpg

nakirush on
    edited September 2009
    sunninja.jpg

A red ninja to go with my blue ninja.

nakirush on
    edited September 2009
    stop drawing bored faces goddammit. I want orgasmic, perturbed, contemplative, yelling, crying, laughing uncontrollably, somewhat indecisive, etc.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited September 2009
    Aaaaaaaaa! I so knew you were going to say that! :sob:: I just can't do it, Mano!

Any recommended reading that may help? I know you learn by doing, but dammnit some of those books are good.

nakirush on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Scott Mcloud's Making Comics has a good section on how the face works mechanically, and various expressions. It's a good resource overall.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited September 2009
    Do you mean Understanding Comics? I can't find one called Making Comics.

nakirush on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nope He means Making Comics...storytelling secrets of comics, manga and graphic novels by Scott McCloud..
    Its good

NakedZergling on
    edited September 2009
    Ah, found it. Thanks!

Edit - Also found one called "Making Faces." Does anybody know if that's worth picking up?

nakirush on
    edited September 2009
    Page 5 of Exiles.

page5g.jpg

nakirush on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That little title squabble is uneccesary and confusing, i'd cut it. Also the little floating droid-ball isn't apparent enough, took me a little while to figure out it was talking instead of Suffurious......not really keen on that name either.

Mustang on
    edited September 2009
    Droid ball I can change. :) I do agree with the title thing, but... I don't write the comic...so.... /innocent

nakirush on
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh no, Suffurious and Bruticus? You can do better than this.

CheerfulBear on
    edited October 2009
    Been awhile - No, I haven't given up! You can't scare me away that easily! ;)

Getting ready to move again, so I don't have much to show, but I've been trying to loosen up with my art and be a bit more "painterly" with it.

spiritcave.jpg

I know it's just a thumbnail, but I was rather pleased with it for having only put thirty minutes in.

Edit -
    runecanyon.jpg

nakirush on
    edited November 2009
    I took the above thumbnail and did a full painting based on it.

spiritcavefull.jpg

nakirush on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    that is pretty well done, i really love the colours and the lights are abundant without being overwhelming; i also really think you did a great job on the left hand side with the light hitting the flat second tier of rock. your candles on that side, however, are confusing -- they look like ice candles, or like theyre transparent.

mully on
    edited November 2009
    Ooo, good catch, Mully. Thanks! Candles are fixed.

nakirush on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also, you have at least 3 separate "verticals". The figure gives one indication of where up should be, the stalactites(gmites?) give another, and the candle's flame give a third. The stalactites and the figure are pretty close, but something is wrong, and I think it might be a difference in the z axis (depth) rather than the x or y, that is making it hard to pin down. The candles however are significantly different than the other two.

JohnTWM on
    edited November 2009
    JohnTWM wrote: »
    Also, you have at least 3 separate "verticals". The figure gives one indication of where up should be, the stalactites(gmites?)
    geobonertits.jpg

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2009
    Thanks Mano. I took your advice about consistent verticals and threw down some guide lines this time around.

rocketmans.jpg

It wasn't supposed to look like a blue Iron Man, it just kind of did...

nakirush on
    edited November 2009
    brawler.jpg

nakirush on
    edited November 2009
    A portrait for my D&D character (Tiefling Sorcerer) -

rylanc.jpg

nakirush on
    edited December 2009
    Testing a color scheme, lettering/word balloons, and panels for nothing in particular. Just trying to get better at comic layouts.

compositecomic.jpg

EDIT: The writing is horrendous, I know. I are not write good. :(

nakirush on
  • valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    nakirush wrote: »
    A portrait for my D&D character (Tiefling Sorcerer) -

rylanc.jpg

Man, I love your tifeling. If you have any time to go back and change this, try going back to his elbow on the right- its squished kinda funny. Maybe add a tail or some fangs? The more infernal the better. :D Also DnD Is super awesome.

As for your new comic-

This guy is drowning, right? Your colors and ESPECIALLY your values aren't dramatic. Look what happens when it turns monochrome:

2mevpjr.jpg

There's almost no contrast, if there were no lines and I was colorblind I wouldn't be able to tell what was happening. If he's almost drowning, maybe make it more dramatic with more dramatic values? Don't go overboard, but a little more wouldn't hurt either especially in the 'homg I'm drowning' panels.

Keep up the good work! <3

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.