As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Sarlacc announced as latest playable race!

exisexis Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
horatio_caine.jpg
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49936.html
UPDATE 15th June: EA's E3 keynote!
Melkster wrote: »

STAR SHIPS:

1. "Every player will get his or her personal star ship."
2. "We want a player's ship to represent not only a right of passage in the game but also an expression of his or her personal style."
3. "These ships are important because they offer players a home to use as a base of operations from which to explore the galaxy."

PVP:

1. "TOR players battle it out in War Zones."
2. "Players will experience fierce battles that evoke memories of famous Star Wars ground conflicts." (NOTE: Remember the Hoth planet reveal? THIS PROBABLY MEANS PVP INVOLVING VEHICLES.)
3. "Our first warzone will be on the planet Alderaan."
4. "Battle for glory and great rewards."

Those are verbatim quotes or just about.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is BioWare's attempt at a Star Wars based MMO. Though it was only officially announced in October 2008, it's been in development since 2006. BioWare are renowned for their compelling RPG storylines, and they're lauding The Old Republic as "the first, truly story driven MMO". Be excited.

General stuff
  • Full cinematic cutscenes
  • Fully voice acted dialogue for all NPC's and players, including multiple voice actors for player characters for differentiation
  • TOR is set about 3000 years before the movie, and about 300 years after the timeline of KotoR. Fortunately this also means there are a lot of Sith and Jedi around, so it won't be quite so jarring seeing a million Darth Sitharoth's on day one
  • Some characters from KotoR will be in the game (eg. we know HK-47 is around)
  • Four starting planets: Hutta, Tython, Korriban, Ord Mantell
  • Completely unique stories for each class, including a hard-set end to each story line. There will be new content to extend each story line
  • GamesRadar wrote:
    We have to ignore the top of the hardcore,” says Walton, talking about those players who will simply ignore the story and min-max their way to the top end of the game. “We need to make a game that is accessible to the Star Wars fan, and the BioWare fan. Because really BioWare is a company that is about making a great RPG experience, not about making games for a hardcore MMO audience.
Gameplay
  • Everything you'd expect from an MMO: PvP, high-end PvE and raids, in-game economy, crafting, auction house, etc etc
  • Localized instancing - when interacting with quest NPC's you will be the only player in that instance
  • Dialog selection is via a Mass Effect style wheel
  • Some sort of space-based gameplay, which we don't know anything about yet
  • No auto-attack
  • Combat is intended to move a lot quicker than in traditional MMO's
    MMOs are very slow-paced, it’s you versus one enemy, and you hit him fifteen times until he dies. That’s something we’ve consciously moved away from in Star Wars: The Old Republic. You’re fighting against multiple enemies, the action is fast-paced, there’s a lot more animations going on.
  • Loot dependent upon light/dark side as well as class
  • Choices can change the course of an instance (eg. kill/spare an NPC)
  • GamesRadar wrote:
    They want to reduce the grind – removing the tedious fetch 10 and kill 20 quests that plague the genre – and tie everything into their story
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic allows players to make moral choices, whether they are a Jedi serving the Republic or a Sith Warrior serving the Empire. The story of this character is written with the assumption that players will faithfully serve the Empire and perform their missions ruthlessly. However, there are many choices where players can choose to resist the temptations of the dark side and try to minimize the suffering that their missions might cause. Because the Sith Warrior is a servant of the Empire, he must perform his acts of compassion carefully. He might tell someone he was ordered to kill to get off-world and never return, thus completing his mission in the eyes of his master but without murdering someone who didn't particularly deserve it.
Classes and factions

There will be eight playable classes, with two 'advanced class' specializations for each, which makes for 16 total career options (link). There will be two playable factions:

The Sith Empire
Bounty Hunter
  • Think Boba Fett
  • Primarily ranged combat class: flame thrower, rocket launches, stun grenades
  • Starting world is Hutta
  • Story arc called "The Great Hunt"
  • Death From Above ability: Hovers in air firing down on target
Sith Warrior
  • Advanced classes: Juggernaut and Marauder (more info)
  • Officially announced at GamesCom (see GameSpot interview - lots of detailed info)
  • Home world will be Korriban
  • Inspired by Darth Vader
  • A "heavily armored Force user driven by darkness and rage"
  • "attacks are all about uncontrollable rage and the overwhelming use of force"
  • "Spender" abilities - powerful abilities available once the character has whipped himself into a rage - sounds a lot like rogue finishing moves in WoW
  • Depending on character development, can function as either single or multiple target damage dealers
  • Abilities include Force Jump and Force Choke
  • Demo showed sith automatically deflecting blaster fire with their lightsaber
  • Dual wielding mother fucking lightsabers
  • Earn points by swiping and smashing, spend them on finishing moves
Imperial Agent
  • Specializes in high-tech gear
  • All about infiltration and assassination
  • ???
Sith Inquisitor
  • 'Second-line fighter'
  • Crowd control with some area of effect

The Galactic Republic
Smuggler
  • ie. Han Solo
  • Story will revolve around, shockingly, shipment smuggling
  • Relies on the cover mechanic, with some abilities only usable when behind cover.
  • Cover mechanic shows a stick-figure silhouette at potential cover spots
  • Starting planet is Ord Mantell
Trooper
  • "Basically a badass with lots of guns"
Jedi
  • Now announced!
  • Home world will be Tython
  • Perhaps employing the use of the force. Maybe.
Jedi Consular
  • Another 'second-line' class
  • Support class with the ability to gear towards damage or healing

When?

Nothing set in stone, but looks like Spring 2011.

I want mooooore

Official Site
Bioware are also publishing a regular webcomic, filling in story details around the setting.
Official boards info thread - a hell of a lot of information, peruse at your peril

Aug 18 09: Sith Warrior announced - interview with creative director James Ohlen
July 7th 09: GamesRadar hands-on
June 4th 09: Joystiq gameplay impressions
June 4th 09: Massively gameplay impressions
Oct 21st 08: IGN Preview

Video
Coruscant Reveal, shown at PAX.
Four part, twenty minute developer walkthrough showing off voiced NPC interaction, the Sith Warrior, Smuggler and Bounty Hunter classes, and a Flash Point.
Gameplay footage - about three minutes of gorgeous environments, and a couple more of combat
IGN Live Demo at E3. Showing a bit of gameplay with UI.
Official Video Documentary #3: Gameplay video showing off voice acting and combat. Is awesome.

Bioware have been releasing "timeline" videos, to bring everyone up to speed on the current state of the world (similar to the webcomics)
Behind the scenes: the making of the trooper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=853YINfdQ0I

Inside Gaming interview with executive producer Tom Nichols.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgtZTXrZ4JQ

E3 Interview with co-General manager of BioWare. Not much new info, some comments about the Smuggler class and intent with the story.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50796.html
widowson's not-really-fail-proof Star Wars name generator
widowson wrote:
Stupid names are especially inexcusable considering how easy it is to make your Star Wars name.

First 2 letters of first two names is Star Wars first name
First 3 letters of last name is Start Wars last name.

Examples:

Barak Hussein Obama = Bahu Oba
George Herbert Bush = Gehe Bus
James Tiberius Kirk = Jati Kir
John Quincy Adams = Joqu Ada

I have yet to see it not work...

exis on

• NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Any ideas on when the next class reveals might be? Nice OP btw.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know the OP is a bit stale, I'll update some things when I get home tonight. Let me know if there is any particularly incredible stuff that it's missing.

exis on
    edited September 2009

Well, I don't think we can really expect to see anything at TGS. Really I wouldn't be all that surprised if we only saw one new class reveal by the end of the year. I mean we don't even have a ballpark release date, and we already know 5/8 of the playable classes.

exis on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Good OP, but no linkage for the background-story videos they've been releasing?

Owenashi on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Imperial Agent.

Burden of Proof on
  • Koopa_ParatroopaKoopa_Paratroopa Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Imperial Agent, then Jedi, then the Droid only classes. Muahaha.

Koopa_Paratroopa on
    Pearl FC: 5113 8469 2573
    HG FC: 4942 0608 0811
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wish they'd just announce the jedi already. I mean come on, we all know it's coming.

Terrendos on
    edited September 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »

Do you have a link to them? I thought I had most of the interesting videos up there.

exis on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    exis wrote: »

Do you have a link to them? I thought I had most of the interesting videos up there.

Dropping the four released so far in the box below as Youtube-links.

Owenashi on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    god damns is that an awesome trailer
    it's like bioware wrote me a prescription that says "just gives us your money"

Local H Jay on
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I call shenanigans on what's behind that last spoiler tag. It would mean my name was Jely. That would be dumb!

riz on
    edited September 2009
    exis wrote: »

Dropping the four released so far in the box below as Youtube-links.

Ahh right I remember those now. Thanks.
    riz wrote: »
    I call shenanigans on what's behind that last spoiler tag. It would mean my name was Jely. That would be dumb!

Deliciously dumb.

exis on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jaal One.

Eh, it could be worse.

Burden of Proof on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    <3 you for the thread title.

As for name....Majo Sch. Or Sun Kim with my other name. Hm...not feeling either of those.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was expecting the first line of the new OP to be a giant YEEAAAAHH!

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jedi will probably be the last class they showcase.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    god damnit. fix your Sith Warrior entry. its VadEr not Vadar.

other than that well done

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    god damnit. fix your Sith Warrior entry. its VadEr not Vadar.

other than that well done

No no no. It's his clone, Daarth Vadar.

Etch on
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Any inkling of an idea of a release date yet? I want to play this so badly.

Smurph on
  • NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Smurph wrote: »
    Any inkling of an idea of a release date yet? I want to play this so badly.

Last official quote from Bioware was "Conservatively, sometime after the return of Christ."

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jaal One.

Eh, it could be worse.

Chli Car here...:?

I'd think I'd put an aposterphe in the first name, cause I could see Ch'li Car working.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Jaal One.

Eh, it could be worse.

Chli Car here...:?

I'd think I'd put an aposterphe in the first name, cause I could see Ch'li Car working.

Think of what you could do for the Spice trade with a name like that.

Terrendos on
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Damn, that trailer is fucking boss.

Also, well done on the thread title :^:

marty_0001 on
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gupe Dag, nah, sounds too german, I suppose it could work as an imperial general, but not for my Smuggler (is there going to be majority of Republic players or what?)

Sparvy on
    edited September 2009
    I really don't know how that's ever worked. I think it's a joke to screw with people. And why do all lastname only have 3 letters?

Nevertheless, mine would be Chan The. I'm thinking I'll pick something else. My middle name being Anderson I'm thinking something along the lines of N'dersan

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    edited September 2009
    mine would be Fran Tur. Angry at the world and his parents for naming him Fran :\

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
    edited September 2009
    It shouldn't be too difficult to reverse engineer people's actual names from that formula either. For example, if I had to guess TK-421's name, I'd say

Frank Andrew Turner

After all, there's not many names that start with "Fr" and "An." Might not be such a good idea to go parading these Star Wars names around.

Terrendos on
    edited September 2009
    On a side note: I caught all of 10 min of Star Wars the other night and realized where TK-42-1 comes from. I gotta give props.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He wasn't at his post.

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Trle Shi

Yeah how bout not.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
    edited September 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    It shouldn't be too difficult to reverse engineer people's actual names from that formula either. For example, if I had to guess TK-421's name, I'd say

Frank Andrew Turner

After all, there's not many names that start with "Fr" and "An." Might not be such a good idea to go parading these Star Wars names around.

not even close. but point taken.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Gupe Dag, nah, sounds too german, I suppose it could work as an imperial general, but not for my Smuggler (is there going to be majority of Republic players or what?)

This was actually one of the things I hated most about Star Wars Galaxies. Fucking everyone rolled Rebel characters, and the developers provided very little in the way of incentives to join the Empire (or disincentives for the Rebels).

I remember joining an Imperial guild purely because I felt that the Empire was the underdog on our server. Every world was overwhelmed by Rebels, and the Imperials had to stick together with each other just to survive. It was like a perverted alternate universe where it was the Rebels who were the oppressive, violent mob and the Imperials were the ragtag heroes fighting for their right to live in peace. I remember the day I (and most of my guild) quit: we were desperately defending our HQ against a zergrush of rebels so big that they nearly crashed the server and forced our small defense squad to drop our connections. When we logged back on and found our HQ in ruins and our stormtroopers being tea-bagged by the rebels, we were all like "fuck this" and quit.

But you see, it's cool because in ToR, the Republic is supposed to have greater numbers than the Empire. Though I do hope that devs give people incentives to join the Empire, because while "be evil" be a pretty nice draw, SWG and pretty much every other MMORPG show that people can join the "good guys" faction and still find plenty of ways to be tremendous pricks. Having relatively balanced factions would be a plus.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
    edited September 2009
    Well, it's my understanding that Sith vs Republic is not going to be expressly good vs evil. You can be a good Sith or an evil Republic... uhh... guy. It's a difference of philosophy that's at war.

That said, I imagine it won't ever be perfectly balanced. If I were to guess I'd say there's likely to be a majority who choose the Republic because hey, they're the home team and we know in hindsight that they win.

Terrendos on
  • narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jaro Ell

Not bad

narv107 on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    my first name would be Jote

terrible

Joolander on
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    You can be a good Sith or an evil Republic... uhh... guy.

Republican?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Trel Sho, not bad

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited September 2009
    Sparvy wrote: »

This was actually one of the things I hated most about Star Wars Galaxies. Fucking everyone rolled Rebel characters, and the developers provided very little in the way of incentives to join the Empire (or disincentives for the Rebels).

I always find myself with a natural inclination to play evil, maybe I'm just an angsty emo kid. What was the class system like in Galaxies? The way I see it, Bioware are going to make an effort to differentiate each factions classes enough that rather than saying "I want to play like x, on faction y", people will be saying "I want to play like x, so I need to play on faction y". I don't have a lot of examples to go along with that, but in broad terms I'm talking more like Warhammer Online than WoW.

edit: I nearly took the name generator out of the OP this time, but it at least gives us something to talk about :P

And I like "Chja Dea" >.>

exis on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I actually got this nickname from a Star Wars name generator thingy a long time ago. On a website far, far away.

Alegis on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Roth Goo?

That's half a cool name I suppose

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.