As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Audiophallic Stroking

Curious YellowCurious Yellow Registered User regular
I'm in need of a piece of hardware. The caveat is that I don't know what this device is called, making it difficult to search for one.

I want to take S/PDIF, coax or optical (my preemptive nerd raging apologies if one or more of those are the same thing / not applicable) from my sound card out to a Black Box that sits on my desk in the shelf space directly below my monitor stand and in front of my keyboard. No bigger than a game console for example (I don't have exact figures, I just don't want one of those massive rack-mountable pieces of equipment).

Features I'm looking for in this black box:

* Two sets (2x) of 5.1 Minijack output (to my Roccat Kave headset, and to my 5.1 computer speakers, simultaniously)
* Independent volume control (Not necessarily to each of the two components, but rather, each channel)
* Normalizer or Compressor (Nothing's worse than queuing up a playlist consisting of a season of The Joy of Painting to go to sleep to, adjusting the levels to a proper volume, only to have one episode ripped/encoded by a different group come up with different levels, resulting in a serenity shattering screamingly loud Bob Ross. I need to be able to set a maximum DB level or something that can not be exceeded.)

I've been told this black box may be called a Dolby decoder, but that doesn't seem right based on the searches I've performed.

The last two options there are really tertiary, I mostly just want a box with digital in, and minijack out, with a single volume dial. That alone would make me happy, and especially happy if it were under a hundred bucks. Any such animal?

Curious Yellow on

• Options
    skdmrklcyskdmrklcy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That sounds like a lot of the headphone amp/dacs that people use. The first one I thought of was the Astro Gaming Mixamp, but I don't know if it can be used with other headphones or not. You may want to check out Head-fi.org.

skdmrklcy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I looked at that, but here's the thing: I need multiple outputs.

My Roccat Kave headphones have 4 minijack plugs, in addition to a USB plug (no data goes over this, just some current to power the base), but if I want to use them currently, I have to get behind my shit and unplug my speakers. So I thought, why not just take digital out of the computer, to a deck of some kind, a deck with two sets of outputs, so I can have the speakers and headset plugged in all the time, at the same time.

That's really what I'm trying to do here.

Curious Yellow on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I looked at that, but here's the thing: I need multiple outputs.

My Roccat Kave headphones have 4 minijack plugs, in addition to a USB plug (no data goes over this, just some current to power the base), but if I want to use them currently, I have to get behind my shit and unplug my speakers. So I thought, why not just take digital out of the computer, to a deck of some kind, a deck with two sets of outputs, so I can have the speakers and headset plugged in all the time, at the same time.

That's really what I'm trying to do here.

Y splitter, i do it with my headphones/speakers. Just turn the speakers off when not using.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I believe what you want is the Creative DDTS-100 decoder.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wow. That's sum good puddin' right thar. </cosby face>

You win some internets, sir.

Curious Yellow on