As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monkey Island in Crytek engine? /headesplode

NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
IHZR47b.png
Nerdtendo on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Well that is impressive.

And look at all the colors. A shame these engines get wasted emulating dirts and metals.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, definitely looks nice.

It's a shame this just appears to be someone fooling around and isn't an attempt at a full conversion or anything. Not that I'd expect something like that to ever get finished.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    abotkin wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely looks nice.

It's a shame this just appears to be someone fooling around and isn't an attempt at a full conversion or anything. Not that I'd expect something like that to ever get finished.
    Seeing as how the series how been revitalized this year, a full project would likely get a C&D the second an announcement was made.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MctittlesMctittles Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow. That looks great. Wonder if it would be at all worth them to license the engine for their game. Of course converting an FPS engine into an adventure game is a challenge in itself.

Mctittles on
    I see what you did there last summer.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Well that is impressive.

And look at all the colors. A shame these engines get wasted emulating dirts and metals.

crsmediumdw7.jpg

GOD WHY IS EVERYTHING SO BROWN

Khavall on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm still waiting on someone to remake Daikatana in that engine but dammit, nobody is helping me out here.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was skeptical before watching the video, due to MI's stylized cartoony look. But the engine handles that surprisingly well.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just wish CryEngine2 (well now CryEngine3) would be used by somebody.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Its soul crushing that something like this will never happen, due to adventure games selling like crap, and the budget that this would require.

Motherfucking fuck the fucking god damn world.

donhonk on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fuuuuck, why haven't any developers licensed this thing!?

I didn't even realize how stylized you could make it look.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I pass. I want something that works on my laptop.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Well that is impressive.

[Image of Crysis being pretty]

GOD WHY IS EVERYTHING SO BROWN

I think that's what we call an "Oh snap!" moment.

This must have taken a hell of a lot of time to put together, he really did all that just for the purposes of this video?

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Too bad they picked the worst areas of the game to do it on. Why would you choose these:

room021.png
    room023.png

And not any of these:

room008.png
    room039.png
    room047.png
    room053.png

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rakai wrote: »

It's being used by tons of people, it's just mostly european devs IIRC

Robman on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    I pass. I want something that works on my laptop.

Funny thing is, Crysis runs better on my rig (that has enough juice for CryEngine) than some less advanced engines do.

Echo on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    I was skeptical before watching the video, due to MI's stylized cartoony look. But the engine handles that surprisingly well.

That's not really an 'engine' thing, that's more a 'modeling and design' thing.

It's very well done, but it doesn't really have much to do with the engine.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Robman wrote: »

Isn't Aion on a version of the Crytech engine?

Sporky: I think they chose those locals because of the contrast, the green/red and the blue orange are good ways to show off lightning/artistic translation into 3D.

Otherwise I haven't played the games, so...nostalgic for the person mapping? Either way it's impressive.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's just all dark and muddy. Maybe that's the point, a bright town scene was too hard for them using their mapping technique.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's just all dark and muddy. Maybe that's the point, a bright town scene was too hard for them using their mapping technique.

Which is foolish, since the Crytech engine is wonderful at lighting

Robman on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Seriously?

I'd love to learn what other games use the CryEngine. Because when I re-built my computer with fancy parts to let me run fancy newfangled games, I was very saddened that Crysis was the only game that really looked astonishingly amazing. Bioshock, Fallout 3, and other Xbox 360 ports disappointed me with their low-resolution, low-grade graphics.

Melkster on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Melkster wrote: »
    Bioshock, Fallout 3, and other Xbox 360 ports disappointed me with their low-resolution, low-grade graphics.

Baby-poop brown for the shittiest statement ever.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Damn, so is this different from the 2.5D Monkey Island 2 render test we saw a few months ago, or this just an extrapolation from that?

EDIT: Which was this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPaH8oIJd7g&feature=related

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Too bad they picked the worst areas of the game to do it on. Why would you choose these:

room021.png
    room023.png

And not any of these:

room008.png
    room039.png
    room047.png
    room053.png

Why aren't there DS ports of the MI games? They look even more beautiful at that size.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    eobet wrote: »
    Damn, so is this different from the 2.5D Monkey Island 2 render test we saw a few months ago, or this just an extrapolation from that?

EDIT: Which was this...

The info on the youtube page is the same guy saying the next step is to maybe get it working in CryEngine2/3. So this is an extension of that with better graphics in an actual game engine.

Rakai on
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well that is impressive.

And look at all the colors. A shame these engines get wasted emulating reality.

I think I fixed it for you. I hope.
    Impressive though.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't watch the video all the way through, but what I did watch looked nice.

According to Wikipedia, these are all the games using CryEngine 2
    • Crysis
    • Crysis Warhead
    • Entropia Universe
    • Blue Mars
    • New MMORPG - XMLGames
    • Forged by Chaos
    • Lightspire: Fortunes Web
    • Merchants of Brooklyn
    • The Day
    • Vigilance (Military Training Game)
    Outside of Crysis and Crysis Warhead, the only one of those that I've ever heard about is Merchants of Brooklyn and that's only because I pay attention to everything that gets released on Steam.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Bioshock, Fallout 3, and other Xbox 360 ports disappointed me with their low-resolution, low-grade graphics.

When I get home I'll make some screencaps comparing Crysis to Fallout 3 and Bioshock.

And then I'll win this argument.

Because Fallout 3 and Bioshock both have graphics horribly watered down for the low-powered console systems. Bioshock suffers from this less. Fallout 3, though, is just terrible.

Edit: I mean, it's pretty obvious and clear that those two games were made for the Xbox 360. The graphics are tuned for that system, which is incredibly low-powered compared to even the entry-level PCs of today. Crysis, on the other hand, was a game clearly crafted for PCs in mind, and it's graphics are unmatched. I wish more PCs would embrace the path of over-the-top, astonishingly beautiful graphics instead of pandering to the console world's diminished graphics potential.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

When I get home I'll make some screencaps comparing Crysis to Fallout 3 and Bioshock.

Because Fallout 3 and Bioshock both have graphics horribly watered down for the low-powered console systems. Bioshock suffers from this less. Fallout 3, though, is just terrible.

Then compare it to non-Crysis PC exclusive games and you'll realize that the console ports are the best things visually asides from Crysis. (Seriously look at D3's 3d models).

Rakai on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Edit: I mean, it's pretty obvious and clear that those two games were made for the Xbox 360. The graphics are tuned for that system, which is incredibly low-powered compared to even the entry-level PCs of today. Crysis, on the other hand, was a game clearly crafted for PCs in mind, and it's graphics are unmatched. I wish more PCs would embrace the path of over-the-top, astonishingly beautiful graphics instead of pandering to the console world's diminished graphics potential.

See, here's the thing:

Nobody cares.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Then compare it to non-Crysis PC exclusive games and you'll realize that the console ports are the best things visually asides from Crysis. (Seriously look at D3's 3d models).

D3 meaning.. Diablo three? The top-down action RPG? I haven't had a chance to run that yet, seeing as how it isn't out yet.

And in general RTS games are a different animal alltogether.

I can't think of a PC-exclusive shooter from the last 2 years off the top of my head that isn't Crysis. Anyone wanna help me out?

Melkster on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

D3 meaning.. Diablo three? The top-down action RPG? I haven't had a chance to run that yet, seeing as how it isn't out yet.

And in general RTS games are a different animal alltogether.

I can't think of a PC-exclusive shooter from the last 2 years off the top of my head that isn't Crysis. Anyone wanna help me out?

And see, herein lies your problem. If a developer is going to create a shooter, and they are a developer who has devkits for the 360 and PS3, they are going to make said shooter for those systems, on top of the PC, of course.

So really, the reason your wish is just that is simple: Money.

Why limit their release to simply PC gaming, especially in a time when console gaming is still generally preferred over PC gaming, if they have the capability of multiplatform? It just doesn't make any business sense.

Dourin on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just wanted to pop in and say that this is the most awesome thing ever and Telltale should feel really bad for making every game look the same instead of making their new Monkey Island stuff look like this.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2009
    Take your engine wankery elsewhere.

Echo on
  • Options
    Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's.. that's VERY pretty. I mean.. I'm amazed. The atmosphere, the art alteration.... where'd that guy work again?

Phoenix1985 on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Holy shit.

Now do Deus Ex.

Hoz on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    Deus Ex.

nnnnnnnnnnnnyeaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh

I have work to do

Khavall on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Holy shit.

Now do Deus Ex.

You shut your mouth. You shut your filthy mouth! I do NOT need to play that again!

And I am still shocked at the lack of games in CryEngine. The engine is awesome and stupid easy to create levels for. With the demo of their next engine that simultaneously builds for PC, 360 and PS3, I am going to be shocked if it doesn't take off!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Deus Ex.

nnnnnnnnnnnnyeaaaaaarrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh

I have work to do

This is exactly why I never uninstall it.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCk8ByyCsks

I'll just drop this over here

Robman on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Deus%20Ex.jpeg