As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spectacular, Secular Spider-Thread

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The art is good, has that Ramos/Jeff Matsuda vibe to it (Matsuda did the character designs for The recent WB Batman series) but as we made fun of in the bitching thread, Berganza completely misses how to write Jamie.

Ay carumba Texiken, you're loco if you think he's writing Jaime poorly!

Muy loco!

Munch on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The art is good, has that Ramos/Jeff Matsuda vibe to it (Matsuda did the character designs for The recent WB Batman series) but as we made fun of in the bitching thread, Berganza completely misses how to write Jamie.

Ay carumba Texiken, you're loco if you think he's writing Jaime poorly!

Muy loco!

Te odio.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited September 2009
    Aw, c'mere sport.

Munch on
    edited September 2009
    Since this is the closest thing I can think of to a normal Spider-Man thread, I thought I would post this because it was kind of interesting.

I was tooling around on shit, reading spideykicksbutt, and he mentioned how Menace and Jackpot spelled out MJ. And, how some people thought that perhaps through some strange macguffin BND caused Mary Jane to split into good and evil, or any other number of different things that could happen.

That's kind of interesting! It's certainly one way how to solve the stupid shit that they did with Jackpot. I mean, I imagined Menace unmasking, and it being Mary Jane, and just holy shit what the fuck. And then Jackpot unmasking, and she's also Mary Jane! And then they fight! Whoa!

I probably would have been confused, but I'm pretty sure I would have bought it out of morbid fascination.

Faynor on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought that Menace was Mephisto in MJ's body and that MJ's displaced soul had come possess Sarah Ehret's body, giving her super-powers.

But of course, the point of BND was a fresh start, and referencing OMD would sort of negate that.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Since this is the closest thing I can think of to a normal Spider-Man thread, I thought I would post this because it was kind of interesting.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=46078

Hensler on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, well, that thread is ugly

Faynor on
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought that Menace was Mephisto in MJ's body and that MJ's displaced soul had come possess Sarah Ehret's body, giving her super-powers.

But of course, the point of BND was a fresh start, and referencing OMD would sort of negate that.

Wait, can somebody confirm or deny this?

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited September 2009
    That didn't happen.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The elbows are weird, but I can't understand not liking Cheeks' art, especially when he's on a property that his style fits so well.

Seriously. I keep hearing people trash his Wednesday Comics work on the Teen Titans strip as well, and I just don't get it.

Comic fans befuddle me sometimes.
    Well you see, us comic fans are very sophisticated and do not wish to see great works of literature sullied with 'childrens art'.

Saph on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Saph wrote: »
    The elbows are weird, but I can't understand not liking Cheeks' art, especially when he's on a property that his style fits so well.

Seriously. I keep hearing people trash his Wednesday Comics work on the Teen Titans strip as well, and I just don't get it.

Comic fans befuddle me sometimes.
    Well you see, us comic fans are very sophisticated and do not wish to see great works of literature sullied with 'childrens art'.

Well his art sorta fits in since it looks like Mary Jane love Spider-Man but all the peoples joints are like a wooden puppets. it looks weird and it doesn't help anything. Plus I have to nerd rage that every thing has to mention his nickname Cheeks. Even the shows credits. Moar liek AssCheeks m i rite?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    If you could have any old spider-man artist return, who would be your first choice?

Doctorstrongbad on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Romita Jr.

Kyougu on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Todd McFarlane

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I might get some shit for this(though not as much as the guy above me) but Humberto Ramos.

noir_blood on
    edited September 2009
    Erik Larsen, Romita Jr, Bagley

Hensler on
    edited September 2009
    If you could have any old spider-man artist return, who would be your first choice?

Steve Ditko.

Just to watch everyone's heads fucking explode.

Munch on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I might get some shit for this(though not as much as the guy above me) but Humberto Ramos.

Jenkins' writing on that Spectacular Spider-Man series was bad, but I enjoyed Ramos' art. The colorist he had really made the art look really good.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

Good choices, but you can only pick one.

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited September 2009

Good choices, but you can only pick one.

No, I can pick 3.

Hensler on
    edited September 2009
    Are they in the proper order you would like to see them returned?

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited September 2009
    No.

Hensler on
    edited September 2009
    No.

I believe that would be a FAIL, sir. Please try again.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have a Spider-Man drawing (really Ben Reilly in his spider-man costume, sue me I was like 9) from some artist that was at a convention years ago. I should go dig it out and see who drew it.

Invisible on
    edited September 2009
    Invisible wrote: »
    I have a Spider-Man drawing (really Ben Reilly in his spider-man costume, sue me I was like 9) from some artist that was at a convention years ago. I should go dig it out and see who drew it.

My bladder is full. I should go to the bathroom and relieve myself.

Hensler on
    edited September 2009
    Ben Reilly did not go over so well with the fans.

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited September 2009
    Wasn't Scarlet Spider pretty popular? It was just the whole, "Peter hits pregnant MJ and Ben's the real Peter!" thing that threw everyone off.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    The hell you say.

Ben Reilly is bomb as fuck.

Faynor on
    edited September 2009
    Wasn't Scarlet Spider pretty popular? It was just the whole, "Peter hits pregnant MJ and Ben's the real Peter!" thing that threw everyone off.

Saying " Ben is the real thing " had to be the worst Spider-man idea in a long time.

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited September 2009
    It was pretty much that decade's Brand New Day, wasn't it? At least the intent was the same, I'd assume.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really love Bagley's style of Spider-Man in the 90's. The body shape was nice and he usually put a lot of detail on when possible and the eyes were perfect. And his action always kept him in a sort of spider like acrobatics. Although everything else was hit or miss. His good looking women all look the same and some of the dudes too if they were generic and not actual characters.

Part of the reason I really like the MTV Spider-Man was because the Spider-Man in that had a similar style and was animated beautifully. Too bad it had shitty stories and rules.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought people generally liked Ben Reilly, but just hated the glut and poor writing that surrounded the Clone Saga. Even the editors weren't sure how the damn thing was going to end.

KidDork on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That's the impression I've had as well.

Slicer on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It sure would be awesome if they made another season of SSP and it was based off the Ultimate Clone Saga

Centipede Damascus on
    edited September 2009
    The Scarlet Spider outfit is a lot more like what a high school kid would wear than the regular Spidey outfit. Red spandex with a cut blue hoody. I think that's why everyone likes it so much, simple yet cool.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, there were some great stories when Ben took over as Spider-Man. It was just the months leading up to that point that sucked. Even the first year of Clone stories were good, and the reaction to Scarlet Spider was great. He joined the New Warriors! That's how you know you're a big deal in the Marvel universe. Just like Night Thrasher.

Hensler on
    edited September 2009
    I thought the hoodie was really random. What was the story reason for selecting it?

I did see a good redesign of the hoodie outfit that was leaps and bounds above the original, however.

Scarlet_Spider_Design_02_by_BlackToe.jpg

This is kind of good too.

Also, the wifebeater Scarlet Spider from the Clone Saga redo looks hilarious.
    8777new_storyimage7603350.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2009
    It's not just that outfit but the way he's standing in that splash page. It looks....you know......

TexiKen on
    edited September 2009
    Dang, that redesign is awesome.

Faynor on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That redesign looks like a lady's costume to me. I don't know why.

Centipede Damascus on