As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Family PC is essentially bricked.

GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM!ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
So I come here hoping to explain my situation effectively and hopefully somebody can help or offer some advice or whatnot. Keep in mind I'm not the most tech savvy person around, we're gonna try and get a technician to come in the next few days. I'm just hoping maybe I can get a better idea of what happened.

Here's the story! My brother and his friend decided to install a game on our family's PC (other brother and I use Macbooks), called Runes of Magic. Free MMO, the site seems kinda legit. http://us.runesofmagic.com/us/index.html There's the URL. So after much interrogation my mother just threw up her arms and let them install it.

So we come home from town and find that the computer is essentially not functioning. It was off when we came home, tried to turn it on. It brought up a screen saying something along the lines of Windows not starting, because some settings have changed from before and it's basically safeguarding itself. So it gave the option to restore the old options that worked before, so I tried that on our third boot-up attempt.

So it proceeds to the Windows screen with the loading bar and the Dell screen with the loading bar. But instead of going to the log in screen, it gives us an awful blue screen (blue is never good). It said most of the same stuff it said earlier, something was wrong and it was essentially giving us a big fuck you and not starting. It suggested that if we hadn't seen that screen before, restart. Well, we did. So if we did, it said to try disengaging anti-virus software or firewalls (well how do we do that when it wasn't really allowing any way to input commands). Keep in mind, we aren't even at the log in screen yet. So we turned it off and left it.

Cue my mother flipping shit at my little brother and his friend. She flips out asking what the hell they possibly could've done, and gets them to make a step-by-step of what they did. Here's the list, in their words.

1. Downloaded game
2. Went through installation and set up
3. Set up the patch
4. Played game.
5. Logged off their profile, and logged onto my mother's cuz they thought things were slowing down and having multiple users signed in was doing it.
6. Saw an "!" saying there was a network crisis (this was when his friend tried to go online using our wireless internet on his laptop), because too many users were logged onto the network (there would essentially at that point be four computers trying to get onto the wireless network).
7. Logged back onto my brother's account.
8. Firewall was off somehow! Tried to turn it on, but it said to go to control panel.
9. Nothing loaded, assumed it froze, turned off computer.
10. Got the blue screen that my mother and I did.

There's a few other steps of what it said for them to do, bunch of error codes but I honestly don't know how they remembered what they were an hour after the fact. So that's that.

The firewall turning off randomly had me worried. I figure something got in and fucked everything up. But what do I know? Any advice?

TL;DR: Brother installed computer game from a website that seemed legit, firewall went bye-bye, no more Windows start up. Fuck.

GreasyKidsStuff on

• Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Reinstall time I'd say, and possibly check with your router to see if you had any strange traffic going out

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Reinstall Windows? I'm not even sure how to go about doing that without being able to log in or get to the desktop.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You stick the DVD in, and boot off of that to start the installation process. The same way you would if there were nothing on the hard drive at all.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wonderful. We'll see what happens whenever we get a tech guy to come look at it.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    First of all, what version of Windows are you running? Is the PC able to boot into safe mode (tapping F8 during startup should give you the option)? Try starting it up that way, and see if Windows is stable. If you are able to get Windows running in safe mode, you have a couple of options. You can (1) uninstall the suspect game (2) try performing a system restore to some point before the installation.

If neither of these fix it, try writing down the error code you get on the blue screen (that first 0x0000000 number). While it seems cryptic, those can actually help narrow down what's going on.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Kay I'll definitely give that a try in a bit. I'll report back with findings.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MH79 wrote: »
    So it proceeds to the Windows screen with the loading bar and the Dell screen with the loading bar. But instead of going to the log in screen, it gives us an awful blue screen (blue is never good). It said most of the same stuff it said earlier, something was wrong and it was essentially giving us a big fuck you and not starting.

You need to tell us exactly what it says, especially if there is any kind of error message, or if no error code was given.

Yes, exactly. As in verbatim. If you can't remember, turn the computer on again and see what it tells you, and write it down. Error codes are given for a reason.

If this is XP a reinstall will be difficult (at best). This is a good guide. Vista and 7 are much easier.

But if you have documents or settings you want to keep on your computer, don't do either yet; it sounds fixable with some effort.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    XP isn't hard to install, it just seems it because of it;s lack of graphics or any semblance of user friendlyness.

You put the disc in, pick your drive, push Enter, L, and from there it's just following the instructions that come up in the graphical part

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    My mother took it to an IT guy at my dad's workplace, so hopefully he'll be able to sort it out.

GreasyKidsStuff on