As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Summer Dump pg.3 [Watts Thread] (NSFW/56k)

13»

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Continued work on this
    DarkAlloyBot_2.jpg
    DarkAlloyBot_3.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That is looking soooo much better than last time. Go bacon.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This was for a friend wasn't it? It really would have fit in well in a Megan Man X game.

Tam on
    edited September 2009
    The design was actually from a GBA game that we were trying to get off the ground a long time ago, and he'd had a copy of the concept sketch* on his office wall for a couple years, so I figure he'd like a version that looks a little more polished.

IT-BAgunner.jpg

EDIT: whoa whoa whoa wait
    Tam wrote: »
    It really would have fit in well in an Megan Man X game.

Is this a game about ladyboys, or just a typo?

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited September 2009
    BAHAHAHAHA

talk about a jump in quality

Tam on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

huh is this a joke I thought mega man was a habby little cyborg boy who shot lazers from his little hand cannon and exploded into a million peices if he got hit by a twig

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited September 2009
    The design was actually from a GBA game that we were trying to get off the ground a long time ago, and he'd had a copy of the concept sketch* on his office wall for a couple years, so I figure he'd like a version that looks a little more polished.

IT-BAgunner.jpg

you're not seriously telling me you've never heard of Mega Man X

Tam on
    edited September 2009
    Yes, Mega man is. Megan is a beautiful girl from middle school that I never got up the courage to ask out.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited September 2009
    oh whoops
    thanks for catching that

twice

Tam on
    edited September 2009
    Boy I love having to explain throwaway jokes.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited September 2009
    You didn't explain anything

Tam on
    edited September 2009
    I wonder if I'll ever see Megan again. So many regrets.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited September 2009

Fine. I thought better of doing so after D-Robe, hopefully, made the substance of the joke obvious, but I guess I'll do a blow by blow rundown of the joke, for the benefit of the extremely slow amongst us.

The crux of the joke is based upon making fun of the typo in Tam's post, wherein he misspelled the title of the hit Capcom series of video games, "Mega Man", as, "Megan Man." Since Megan is a common female name in many modern Western societies, and the word, "Man" is specifically male in nature, this typo results in a proper noun of confused gender; not dissimilar to the title of the 1983 Michael Keaton film, "Mr. Mom". Hence, by combining a play on the video game and the gender-ambiguous nature of the phrase, I presented a hopefully humorous idea of a video game, called "Megan Man", which would, rather than being about a Man who was Mega as "Mega Man" was, would be based around the adventures of a transgendered person named "Megan", not yet entirely through her gender realignment process. The colloquial term "ladyboy" was here used to refer to persons such as the hypothetical Megan in this hypothetical game.

The humor of said joke comes in as transgender issues are not often the subject of popular video game franchises, especially not those with origins from the 1980's such as "Mega Man", which were created during the particularly conservative political climate of the Reagan years; it was thought during this period, transgender, or indeed any sort of LGBT issue-driven video games would find little purchase in a Nintendo Entertainment System dominated market, which were seen as the time as being exclusively for children; as such, issues presented by such a game would likely go over the heads of the audience, or be seen as inappropriate as the subject for such a came by the collective parents of a largely conservative country.

Thus, the presentation of such a game, "Megan Man", would be seen, or so was my hope, by the erudite reader, as a mildly absurd, and therefore vaguely humorous idea. Perhaps not worth a full-on chuckle, but a smile as one scrolled past.

I hope that clears things up.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited September 2009
    :lol: haha. Oh jesus bacon.
    I guess that finally puts that stupid E.B. White quote to rest.
    "Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it."

I hope we can find money in the budget to make you the official Joke Analyzer.

e: Unrelated, I found Megan's dad on Facebook, but can think of no non-creepy way to solicit information about his daughter. I think none exists.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited September 2009

Fine. I thought better of doing so after D-Robe, hopefully, made the substance of the joke obvious, but I guess I'll do a blow by blow rundown of the joke, for the benefit of the extremely slow amongst us.

The crux of the joke is based upon making fun of the typo in Tam's post, wherein he misspelled the title of the hit Capcom series of video games, "Mega Man", as, "Megan Man." Since Megan is a common female name in many modern Western societies, and the word, "Man" is specifically male in nature, this typo results in a proper noun of confused gender; not dissimilar to the title of the 1983 Michael Keaton film, "Mr. Mom". Hence, by combining a play on the video game and the gender-ambiguous nature of the phrase, I presented a hopefully humorous idea of a video game, called "Megan Man", which would, rather than being about a Man who was Mega as "Mega Man" was, would be based around the adventures of a transgendered person named "Megan", not yet entirely through her gender realignment process. The colloquial term "ladyboy" was here used to refer to persons such as the hypothetical Megan in this hypothetical game.

The humor of said joke comes in as transgender issues are not often the subject of popular video game franchises, especially not those with origins from the 1980's such as "Mega Man", which were created during the particularly conservative political climate of the Reagan years; it was thought during this period, transgender, or indeed any sort of LGBT issue-driven video games would find little purchase in a Nintendo Entertainment System dominated market, which were seen as the time as being exclusively for children; as such, issues presented by such a game would likely go over the heads of the audience, or be seen as inappropriate as the subject for such a came by the collective parents of a largely conservative country.

Thus, the presentation of such a game, "Megan Man", would be seen, or so was my hope, by the erudite reader, as a mildly absurd, and therefore vaguely humorous idea. Perhaps not worth a full-on chuckle, but a smile as one scrolled past.

I hope that clears things up.

This is sufficient

Tam on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    .<3

NightDragon on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That post contributes almost as little as this one does.

rts on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You should start a new thread.
    It's the cool thing to do.

Mustang on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    look at all this contribution we are all giving

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited September 2009
    Speaking of pertinence;
    I found out Megan is teaching music at a local music store. I figure I'll just go there and pick up some necessary, music-related product (crate of guitar picks?) and run into her by "complete happenstance". This should lessen the stalking feel and make things totally uncreepy.
    At least I hope that's what a jury of my peers will think, if worse comes to worst.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited September 2009
    D-Robe wrote: »
    Speaking of pertinence;
    I found out Megan is teaching music at a local music store. I figure I'll just go there and pick up some necessary, music-related product (crate of guitar picks?) and run into her by "complete happenstance". This should lessen the stalking feel and make things totally uncreepy.
    At least I hope that's what a jury of my peers will think, if worse comes to worst.

Great TOTP there.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited September 2009
    I aim to please.

Are you going to post more cool Watts art soon?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited September 2009
    I am not slow

Tam on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    So people don't think I didn't do what I said I was going to do here is the paintover I did for Kevin. I also sent him a video.
    baconpaintover2.jpg

okay, i feel like i shouldn't even critique this because both of you are so much god damned better than me

but, i would say that if you put that well defined point to her nose, i'd suggest a slight upturn instead of the direct angle that you made

Futore on
    ETqXK.png