As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Trading Cards - Meetup After Closing Ceremonies At PAX

PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
Thank you to everyone who took part in the PAX East Trading Cards! We got to meet a lot of great people and even make a donation to Child's Play. I am currently helping people fill in the holes in there collection. I will be starting a new thread soon to gauge interest and discuss what could be done differently next year.

Here is the list of cards I have a lot of:

Peasant Dave
zezspecs
Bigtoy Jay
Rot26
Shervyn
JonnyBrokenBones
Kjeldor
Ike Lewis
Dardor
Vaulter85
Jess-O
Cookie Brigade
Macrogeek
Goose!
Srol

Here is what I have a couple of:

Jamers
Kevin
Handshakefulness
itzerocewl

Send me a PM with your home address and what you need, and I will mail it out. If you would like to distribute cards to other people through me just ask for my address. I have also updated the checklist with the final card names and numbers. Also let me know if your card didn't get into the binder for Gabe and Tycho.

Original Post
Meet-ups At PAX East

We will be meeting up at 6:00 PM between the Hynnes and Sheraton (inside of the mall) Friday, Saturday, Sunday. The biggest meetup will be Sunday, this is right after the event ends. Also be on the lookout for #cardshark on twitter as well as for people displaying their cards in the open. I believe most of us will have the card in the same plastic holster as our pass on a lanyard around our necks.

Also, this.
maudl1.jpg

Also, checklist.

What is this?

The purpose here is to do something like the button swap at PAX East, but different. The idea is that everyone would make one (or more) trading cards in the style of the old Marvel Trading Cards, and then we would trade them! Super-hero based things have been replaced with Arcadian based things. We've made a template but ultimately you can be as creative as you like.

davefront2010e_small.png daveback2010e_small.png

What if I don't have photoshop or skills of an artist?
Here is all we need from you! You can post here and someone will send you a PM and sort out the details.
Forum Name (for front and back):
Badges:

Coordination (1-20):
Cleverness (1-20):
Endurance (1-20):
Drunkeness (1-20):
Tactics (1-20):
Awesomeness (1-20):

Title:
Hometown:
Favorite Game:
Least Favorite Game:
First PAX:
Most Notable Achievements(s):
Quote:

646 x 948 300 DPI Image (for front):
262 x 258 300 DPI Image (for back):

How do I get involved?
Step 1: Get Photoshop, Or Find a Volunteer

Obtain a copy of photoshop or commission someone to put the card together for you. Several people have volunteered to help out. Send me a PM and I will route you to one of our volunteers. The front image is 646 x 948 pixels (300 DPI) and the back image is 262 x 258 pixels (300 DPI).

Step 2: Download templates and font

Download the front template, back template, and font. Make sure the font is loaded before you open photoshop.

Template Version 5, Updated 11/8/2009: Front / Back / Font (London Between)

Step 3: Modify text and images on templates

Insert the necessary text and images to the front and back templates.

Step 4: Choose badges

Choose six of the following badges on the front of the card. Do this by activating the group layer (such as Badge 1), then activating the particular layer you want. If you would like a badge that is not listed above, you can create it yourself and I will add it to the template. All of the badges are 100 x 100 pixel .PNG with transparency. If you have an image you would like turned into a badge but lack the tools, send me a PM.
badge_cookie.png : Cookie Brigade
badge_enforcer.png : Enforcer
badge_eta.png : East Train Alliance (East)
badge_irc.png : IRC
badge_rookie.png : Rookie
badge_twitter.png : Twitter
badge_button.png : Buttoneer (Prime)
badge_ccst.png : Cross - Country Super Trip (Prime)
badge_cst.png : Canadian Super Trip (Prime)
badge_omeganaught.png : Omeganaught (Prime)
badge_triwizard.png : Tri-wizard Pub Crawl (Prime)
badge_wctt.png : West Coast Train Trip (Prime)
badge_byoc.png : BYOC
badge_fancydinner.png : Fancy Dinner
badge_mmt.png : Magical Mystery Tour (Prime)
badge_mmte.png : Magical Mystery Tour (East)
badge_postdinner.png : Post PAX Dinner
badge_predinner.png : Pre PAX Dinner
badge_assassins.png : Assassins

Step 5: Choose Attributes

Decide what you would like your stats to be from 1 - 20. Change the "X" to the appropriate numbers on the text layer, then select the associated bar from the image layer. You may roll, arbitrarily decide or use distribute the following template however you like: 20, 17, 14, 11, 10, 8, 3.

Step 6: Choose Card Number

Let me know that you need a number and I will give you the next unused number.

Step 7: Create An Account On jakprints

https://www.jakprints.com/account/entry.php

Step 8: Create an order

You can use the following information as a template.

Name Your Project: Lastname PAX Trading Cards
Product: Postcards
Stock: 12pt Gloss Cardstock (heavy)
Quantity: 100 or 250
Finished Size: 2.5 x 3.5 inches
Ink Side One: Full Color (4)
Ink Side Two: Full Color (4)
Proof: No proof (printed as is)
$10 Discount: Your choice
File Prep Instructions: No
Standard Turnaround

I received my order one week after I finalized it.

Who else is doing it?

Confirmed Participants:
Bigtoy_J
main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5330&g2_serialNumber=1
Bodyheat123
BodyHeat123_Front%20halved.pngBodyHeat123_Back%20halved.png
Cookie Brigade (VThornheart providing)
cookiebrigade_card_front_2010east.jpgcookiebrigade_card_back_2010east.jpg
DaNerd
2wqtwqw.jpg2a7blfc.jpg
Ekkosangen
nQ72El.jpgWvxVFl.png
Facelesscog
FacelessCogCard_Front.jpgFacelessCogCard_Back.jpg
Goose!
goosecardfront.pnggoosecardback.png
itzerokewl
itzerokewl_front.jpgitzerokewl_back.jpg
Jamers
jamersfront2010e_small.pngjamersback2010e_small.png
lordthanda
dave_card.jpg
MagnifiedX
paxeastfront.jpg paxeastback.jpg
Moe Fwacky
2wpowmg.jpgfmuhyw.jpg
PeasantDave
davefront2010e_small.pngdaveback2010e_small.png
Rot26
Rot26front%20copy.jpgRot26back%20copy.jpg
Shervyn
shervynfront.jpgshervynback.jpg
tehnakki
000p13a3.jpg
Tweezle120
JessoPaxFront_small.pngJessoPaxBack_small.png
Vaulter85
Vaulter85Front_small.pngVaulter85Back_small.png
VThornheart
vt_card_front_2010east.jpgvt_card_back_2010east.jpg
ZeroHourHero
ZHHPAXCARDBACK.jpgZHHPAXCARD.jpg
Zezspecs
zezspecs_front2010e_v5_small.pngzezspecs_back2010e_v5_small.png

Interested Participants: (People who have expressed interest but really need to commit)
'T'
Arco
Atlus Parker
Captain Cactus And The Water Preservation Squad
Coldbrew
dardor
Deefuzz
feitocomfruta
Hammy
Hypatia
ikelewis
Izzie
Kitteh
leaf
Lewie P
Lewie P's Mummy
LTAcosta
MarsChelios
Minja
Molotov Cupcake
MoonVydeo
mspencer
ninjowned
Pinder
Rot26
Scalfin
Shervyn
shugarae
Sillyconmind
Singollo
tehnakki
Tzidakah
ukiyo e
VThornheart
Wingedillidan
Wormdundee
xibalba

Can I help with anything?

- Create "badges" for community events. If you would like a badge that is not listed above, you can create it yourself and I will add it to the template. All of the badges are 100 x 100 pixel .PNG with transparency. If you have an image you would like turned into a badge but lack the tools, send me a PM.

- Volunteer to help create trading cards for people who lack the tools.

PeasantDave on

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Poll:

Yes
    No
    Other
    alphamonkey

I've given this whole idea some thought today. If we run with this idea, we need to set up a standard template for the front and the back as well have some people dedicated to QC so the cards are standaradized to an extent. Recalling my trading card collections from days of yore I have a few ideas for card variatons and chase sets.

Atlus Parker on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can't make polls it would seem.

PeasantDave on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We talked about this a year ago, right after pax08, to replace the buttons for 09. Moe collected interest and took it to pm's, then I never heard of it again.

SlickShughes on
    edited September 2009
    We talked about this a year ago, right after pax08, to replace the buttons for 09. Moe collected interest and took it to pm's, then I never heard of it again.

It's being worked on.

By top men.

Atlus Parker on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2009
    Interest dropped off, unfortunately.

Hey, what about custom Fluxx cards? The game is already established and easily expandable. There would have to be some coordination between card types. Thoughts?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are the cards going to be single sided or double sided?

Are we going for trading cards (Marvel Trading Cards), or cards to create some sort of card game (Fluxx)?

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not everybody enjoys Fluxx, and I like the idea of this being purely cosmetic. I don't want to tie it down to a particular game, system, etc. or even bother with the idea of "utility" at all.

Trading cards seem a perfectly reasonable replacement/alternative to the buttons, but we would have to find a place that would make them standardized. I don't want to walk around with 100 different sized cards on different colored paper, looking like some third grade art project. One of the best things about the buttons is how legit they look.

If we can find a place to make them all professional like and adhere to a standardized template, so everyone's is the same size, format, etc, I'm in.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited September 2009
    This year we are aiming for something cosmetic to work out the kinks in the system. It will allow for more creativity and cost-cutting (if people want to print their own cards, for example).

We are working on a standard size and design. If anyone has suggestion/examples feel free to post them. I will hopefully have some examples up soon.

PeasantDave on
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Granted, I'm kind of biased, as this is my first PAX (so I don't have a back supply of buttons), but I think the TCG idea sounds awesome. (like everyone's saying, as long as a front/back template is adhered to) Just as well, the LEGO idea kinda fell through. Interesting thought, but just too pricey, comparatively speaking.

Facelesscog on
  • DarcDarc Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    With the buttons, there is an easy way to display that you are a Buttoneer (just pin them to everything). How would I do that with the cards? In a way that is visible to others? Also, I wouldn't have an easy way to display my conques-... err... successful trades.

On the other hand, being able to buy some plastic sheets and toss them in a binder is cool. Imagine, one day, pulling the PAX-E 2010 binder off the shelf to show a grandkid (not necessarily your own), who will 'ooh' and 'aah' over the neatly organized, near-mint condition (who knew a few drops of spilled everclear would bleach the things?) binder full of vintage PAX trading cards!

Seriously though, convenient visibility and standardization are what make the buttons so popular. While standardization can happen assuming we're willful about it, what do we do about convenient visibility? Any ideas?

Darc on
    There are 10 kinds of people; Those who read Binary, and Those who don't.

7Zd22nO.png
  • IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darc wrote: »
    Seriously though, convenient visibility and standardization are what make the buttons so popular. While standardization can happen assuming we're willful about it, what do we do about convenient visibility? Any ideas?

The answer is obvious.
    we all have to buy packs of those plastic trading card sheets, glue/tie/melt them together and make cloaks out of them. Then with each trade, we can fill up our "cloaks" and run around with a display of our rewards.

Then we can hang them up on our walls at home for all eternity.

Izzie on
    http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The idea I continue to pitch:

Back of card everyone makes is the same (Like a PAX10 EAST/PRIME Logo or whatever)

Front of card is anything you want (Fluxx mock up, magic mock up, yugioh mock up) but everyone keeps two locations a blank white spot (top left/bottom right corners probably).

After you're done trading, you fill in the white blanks and make a 52 deck of playing cards.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2009
    A bit too late for this now that people seem locked into the trading card idea, but I just found out that purebuttons is opening up a sticker site.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited September 2009
    stickers suck. but others love them.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    A bit too late for this now that people seem locked into the trading card idea, but I just found out that purebuttons is opening up a sticker site.

Noooooo! Sticker's lifetime is extremely low and their interchangability (i.e. buttons can be taken off and stacked or placed on a big shirt) sucks. I'd go for pins, I'd go for trading cards, even MAGNETS for crying out loud, but not STICKERS! Personally, I think the cards will be more effective as to be more customizable and stuff.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited September 2009
    Why can't we do buttons, again?

Arco on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Buttons twice a year is a lot of buttons.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited September 2009
    Well, yeah. But trading hundreds of anything twice a year means a lot of anything.

Buttons lend themselves very well to this idea. If the concern is that it wouldn't be different enough, we could do square buttons instead of round buttons, or make sure everyone has a unique PAX East button to stand out from the Prime buttons, or something.

I'm just saying that using a product that isn't displayed, traded, carried, or compact like the buttons are, just because PAX Prime already uses buttons, isn't good. If the product that's eventually settled on for the trading at East has its own merits, then awesome. But I don't think anybody should feel like buttons are off limits. I don't see why they would be.

Arco on
  • ikelewisikelewis Awesome Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am a fan of the trading cards. Like marvel super heroes or baseball and basketball cards.

Something like this maybe. I think it would be awesome.
    marvel1990.JPG
    MEGA-Marvel-TCards.jpg
    hawkeye.jpg

I still don't know how we would display that we are trading cards.

ikelewis on
    edited September 2009
    pin a card to your lanyands just like you did with pins

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    Well, yeah. But trading hundreds of anything twice a year means a lot of anything.

Buttons lend themselves very well to this idea. If the concern is that it wouldn't be different enough, we could do square buttons instead of round buttons, or make sure everyone has a unique PAX East button to stand out from the Prime buttons, or something.

I'm just saying that using a product that isn't displayed, traded, carried, or compact like the buttons are, just because PAX Prime already uses buttons, isn't good. If the product that's eventually settled on for the trading at East has its own merits, then awesome. But I don't think anybody should feel like buttons are off limits. I don't see why they would be.

I believe that trading cards are as inherently cool as buttons and as easily traded as buttons. They are easier to store and carry. The biggest detriment is that you can't pin them to yourself (and truthfully nothing else is going to do that as well as buttons). Many of the button traditions (displaying and such) were formed organically and I believe that trading cards would go the same route.
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    pin a card to your lanyands just like you did with pins

Hopefully with lower costs this opens up a world of options for displaying.

PeasantDave on
    edited September 2009
    So I got bored and threw a card together I didn't add any trivia or stats to it but it's a good start.
    TradingCard_IKE_F.png
    TradingCard_IKE_B.png

ikelewis on
  • Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the problem that cropped up previously was that it went from trading cards to a TCG, and then rules got thrown into the mix, at which point geek consensus becomes impossible.

Safer to keep stats arbitrary and cosmetic, methinks.

Edit: PikaPuff's idea with the consistent back and custom front has merit, but strays towards TCG territory. Hm.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
    edited September 2009
    I think the problem that cropped up previously was that it went from trading cards to a TCG, and then rules got thrown into the mix, at which point geek consensus becomes impossible.

Safer to keep stats arbitrary and cosmetic, methinks.

Edit: PikaPuff's idea with the consistent back and custom front has merit, but strays towards TCG territory. Hm.

You are 100% correct. I have plans for the future but I believe it is important for series one to be simple and fun.

PeasantDave on
    edited September 2009
    If someone has a better idea for some kind of tradeable item please, please speak up. The trading cards stemmed for the general idea that we did not want all the community events at PAX East to be an exact mirror of PAX Prime's events. The trading cards sounded like a really cool idea so a few people are running with it. Buttons are cool and all but do we really need button trading twice a year?

Edit: ikelewis I like where you're going with that. Any thoughts on adding a border on the front?

Atlus Parker on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The trading cards seem like a good plan, aye!

Moe had a great idea going with the card game I think, but indeed it was hard to get a consensus or enough people who had the time to hash it out (myself included =( ).

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited September 2009
    Atlus I will add a border and make a few changes when I get home.

ikelewis on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dunno, I kinda like the sticker idea. They are actually really resilient if kept in a safe place like a book rather than just stuck on a laptop/ds/shirt or whatever. And it would be a very cost friendly option.

Plus everyone could design their own books however they want :)

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited September 2009
    okay Atlus I added a border to it. Tell me what you think?
    TradingCard_IKE_F_2.png

It might need a white border too.

ikelewis on
    edited September 2009
    ikelewis wrote: »
    TradingCard_IKE_F_2.png

White borders are for reprints, imo.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
    edited September 2009

So no white border. I'm working on the back of the card ATM I will post as soon as I'm done.

ikelewis on
    edited September 2009

So no white border. I'm working on the back of the card ATM I will post as soon as I'm done.

This was mostly a joke regarding MTG.

However, I'd be in favor of blue or red borders/text for those people that identify as mainly Prime or East folk.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
    edited September 2009

However, I'd be in favor of blue or red borders/text for those people that identify as mainly Prime or East folk.

I like the idea of having an East card having a red and a prime card having blue. So this being an East event I'm going to stick with the red theme.

ikelewis on
    edited September 2009

I like the idea of having an East card having a red and a prime card having blue. So this being an East event I'm going to stick with the red theme.

You should make the blue borders now -- if I do end up going to East, I still kind of want Prime cards. >_>

Oz K. Fodrotski on
    edited September 2009
    Okay can do.

Here is the new back I made.
    TradingCard_IKE_B_2.png

Edit: Here is one with a blue border for prime.
    TradingCard_IKE_F_Prime.png
    this was just "thrown" together.

ikelewis on
    edited September 2009
    I'm coming around to the trading card thing after seeing ikelewis' designs, which are very good.

Constructive criticism:

Front: The glowy border is a little too thick, and a little too much. Half that thick and I think it would look quite a bit better. Also, ditch the 3D effect, imo. Doesn't really fit with the rest of the card. The simple blue/black gradient, thinner, will look really good. Also, don't need "PAX" two places on the front of the card, unless they accomplish different things (it's unclear if they do or don't). I'd say remove it from on top of the name bar, because having it in the top left looks so good.

Back: Having the background be red and the name bar be a slightly different red looks weird. Too much red. Also, I'd expand the text boxes to fill more of the card. However thick the border on the front is (make it thinner), have the text boxes expand out to leave that much space. '

These are very minor tweaks. Color balance issues and some pixel tweaking here and there. It's a damn good first draft. Ideally speaking I think what we would be going for is a .psd or .jpeg with the borders, logos, etc. all in place, but with empty spaces for the picture, name, stats, quote, etc. so that people can put them into Photoshop or whatever and make their cards. If we do that, they'll all look the same.

Great job, ikelewis.

Arco on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dunno, I kinda like the sticker idea. They are actually really resilient if kept in a safe place like a book rather than just stuck on a laptop/ds/shirt or whatever. And it would be a very cost friendly option.

Plus everyone could design their own books however they want :)

Ooh, that is a good point! It would definitely make for neat material for scrapbooks/memory books!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay can do.

Here is the new back I made.
    TradingCard_IKE_B_2.png

Edit: Here is one with a blue border for prime.
    TradingCard_IKE_F_Prime.png
    this was just "thrown" together.

Wow...seriously digging the designs, though the previously mentioned tweaks wouldn't be a bad idea. (Mainly thinner border on the front and less red space on the back) Looking good though!

Facelesscog on
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TradingCard_IKE_F_2.png

me likey! The little picture spot on the back is just begging for an avatar...

the sticker idea would be cool too... I dunno about carrying around a book though :-/

either way, count me in...

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
    edited September 2009
    Really looking forward to PSDs of these so we can start a'making and a'tweaking. Great work! :D

Oz K. Fodrotski on
This discussion has been closed.