As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Question for 1999-ish Honda Civic owners

NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
My car was stolen, then recovered. They pried the window back to unlatch the door, destroyed the ignition, and stole a fender? o_O

In any case, I got the car back from the repair shop, and the steering column seems to be shifted slightly to the left. At first I thought it might be a difference between the steering column cover (OEM vs replacement, appears in image between dash and wheel,) but the more I look at it, the more it just seems to be off by ~1/2".

Am I crazy?
3944159899_837ff820ed_b.jpg

Its nice to have my car back. I feel like I upgraded from the rental, a 2009 Prius.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
steam_sig-400.png
NailbunnyPD on

• TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I drove a 98 Civic up until last year, I personally wouldn't notice the half inch difference. That being said, the more I look at the picture though, the more the column does seem off. It's like an optical illusion or something.

Does it hinder performance or comfort in any way? Or is it just bothersome?

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Its bothersome. The car seems to steer and handle fine and alignment seems to be the same as it was before the theft. Its just that after driving this car for at least 6 years, I got used to where the steering wheel was.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Did you pop the lever and push the steering column up and down? Does that affect the left-right alignment at all?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Did you pop the lever and push the steering column up and down? Does that affect the left-right alignment at all?

It does not affect the left/right alignment. It only moves up and down.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ... Who the hell steals a fender? o_O

I can't see the pictures on account of flickr being b& by the corporate firewall, but if it "feels wrong" it probably is. Bring it back in and say "The steering column is too far left." Use a bit of string or a laser pointer from the center of wheel/seat and compare.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited September 2009
    ... Who the hell steals a fender? o_O

The $50 fender cost me my $500 deductible. Prior to this month, I wouldn't think that Grand Theft Auto would be worth risking over a $50 part. I was obviously wrong.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The fender itself isn't terribly expensive. What you're paying for is the paint and labor time. The Honda list price is about $180 right now (high, but certainly not $500). More likely, they may have pulled it off to get at something behind it...

Or maybe they just really needed a fender.

Your column does look a little off, but if it's not actually affecting anything it's not a big deal (except for aesthetics). Tiny inaccuracies tend to compound... so 1/16" here and 1/16" there will add up to a 1/4"-1/2" gap pretty easily.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I saw this thread earlier today, so I checked it out in my '99 Civic when I headed home from work. It's not just you; that's how my Civic looks too.

Mogs on
    edited September 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    More likely, they may have pulled it off to get at something behind it...

It's weird because I think there actually isn't anything behind the fender. Nothing at all, not even wiring. Unless they were trying some ass-backwards way of getting the hood open? Sometimes you just gotta steal a dudes fender.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Civics are so laughably easy to steal that the whole theft, including popping the fender off, was probably little more than a source of amusement.

admanb on
    edited September 2009
    Pretty sure that my car, an Acura Integra is even easier to steal. It has frameless windows which makes it laughably easy to get a slim-jim into.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
    edited September 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    Civics are so laughably easy to steal that the whole theft, including popping the fender off, was probably little more than a source of amusement.

It seems the only truly effective prevention is to install a hidden kill switch of some sort. Unless someone tows it, in which case there's not much you can do anyways.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png