As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Saints Row: The Third - Awesome Button, Autotune Pimp, Mocap'd Sombreros!

• Doctor FinkDoctor Fink Bishounen Chewbacca Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are you using the Xbox 360 input emulator? It's called like xbox360 controller emulator.

I'm using SixaxisDriver. I've calibrated the controller in the control panel and it can read that I'm moving both sticks in all directions. However, the game doesn't pick that up for whatever reason.

Doctor Fink on
    PSN: Doctor_Fink / Xbox Live:LieutenantDef / Steam: Doctor Fink
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah you have to use an xbox360 emulator for the controller because the game only recognizes 360 controllers (thx microsoft). Basically it translates the Direct input from your game-pad to 360 signals or whatever. You have to set up the config file to match your button #s though.

Originally I had the same problem as you, sorta. It didn't recognize any of my face buttons...

Lionel-Richie on
  • NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does anyone have any suggestions for the Mayhem and Insurance Fraud side missions? It seems impossible for me to get any higher than level three. Are these just something you need to do co-op for?

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    NAND NOR wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions for the Mayhem and Insurance Fraud side missions? It seems impossible for me to get any higher than level three. Are these just something you need to do co-op for?

For insurance fraud, find a highway since it has lots of fast moving traffic. You should be able to bounce off cars and aim for the next one over and over without landing and racking up massive scores. This is often better than the adrenaline bonus areas.

For Mayhem, look for fences since each segment counts as one item and you can get massive combos quickly by rocketing section after section. Also, the area it picks is random. Stilwater University is the easiest. Just turn right when entering, and head for the student housing. Behind the housing are tons of fences and trash. You can hit a million easy in a minute or less by keeping the combo going.

Insurance Fraud trick: Start the activity, and don't go to the area it's starting in yet. Instead, go to your crib and get a helicopter. Fly as high as you can over the Insurance Fraud area and jump out. The dollars will start climbing the second you jump and continue all the way down.

IdolNinja on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Those are both doable alone, especially mayhem (just blow up fences and stuff like that). But they're probably easier Coop.

Fuzz and Drug Trafficking are A LOT easier coop. They're almost unbeatable solo.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The classic rock radio station has some good tunes. I think it has The Final Countdown, which I am going to go listen to now since it's so awesome.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Those are both doable alone, especially mayhem (just blow up fences and stuff like that). But they're probably easier Coop.

Secret to Mayhem: FENCES

Secret to Insurance Fraud: Get to the fraud area, activate the timer, and get on the highway.

Actually those 2 are probably the easiest once you use those tricks.

donhonk on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    donhonk wrote: »

Secret to Mayhem: FENCES

Secret to Insurance Fraud: Get to the fraud area, activate the timer, and get on the highway.

Actually those 2 are probably the easiest once you use those tricks.

in insurance fraud, you want to bounce off as many cars as possible while in adrenaline mode, so cause a pileup when its activated, then just bounce around and hit them all 2-3 times for easy 200k points.

Morkath on
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the tips guys. Haven't focused on the Mayhems yet but just knocked out both Insurance Frauds.

Hurray for infinite sprint!

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
    edited September 2009
    donhonk, our fiendishly complicated plans earlier involving satchel charges will make fond memories to think back on wistfully when I'm old and gray. You are truly a diabolical madman and a gentleman of the highest caliber. I tip my pimp hat to you.

Can't wait to see some of those videos!

IdolNinja on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So far the activity I hate most I think is Crowd Control. It's simple for the first three, then becomes impossible. I don't know if I'm missing something, but I really have no idea how you're supposed to constantly keep 3-5 guys off the celebrity as well as throw them accurately enough to make the money you need.

Trailblazing sucks too, just cause of how shitty that little 4-wheeler handles.

Adus on
    edited September 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    So far the activity I hate most I think is Crowd Control. It's simple for the first three, then becomes impossible. I don't know if I'm missing something, but I really have no idea how you're supposed to constantly keep 3-5 guys off the celebrity as well as throw them accurately enough to make the money you need.

The higher levels of Crowd Control are next to impossible solo. In coop, one can protect the celeb while the other racks up the big bonus kills. Trail Blazing is also easier coop since your partner can throw firebombs off the back and get you lots of extra time added to the clock.

IdolNinja on
    edited September 2009
    Earlier while playing with donhonk, I tried on a silly outfit at the crib for a second to scare him with. Little did I know what might appear on the billboard of a chain of stores that I own while we were playing:

Click... if you dare!
    billboardh.jpg

IdolNinja on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    all that fun-having without me grumble

my hard drive arrives on wednesday, hopefully I'm ready to go wednesday night. if not, thursday for sure.

freakish light on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Idol and I had some fun in co-op last night, but he has the images cause I didn't turn fraps on. I should do that more often, because crazy shit does indeed go down. Such as the epic pimp vs. ninja vs. cop brawl:

Sadly this is near the end of it cause it was what reminded me to load fraps. As soon as I did, it died down.
    sr2pc1.jpg

Me and my ninjas after a job well done. What are you lookin' at?

sr2pc2.jpg

Adus on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah you have to use an xbox360 emulator for the controller because the game only recognizes 360 controllers (thx microsoft). Basically it translates the Direct input from your game-pad to 360 signals or whatever. You have to set up the config file to match your button #s though.

Originally I had the same problem as you, sorta. It didn't recognize any of my face buttons...

My Rumblepad 2 worked, I had the same "keyboard prompts only" problem though.

Also, this game runs so much better under WinXP that I may set up a mini-dualboot.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ahahahaha. This game is awesome.

Example: I'm about 10 minutes into the actual GAME. I'm going over to Aisha's place, and on my way I end up in the middle of a gang shooting. So I'm shooting back every so often, and then I notice a few police cars pull up! "Wow! They have a quick response time! This fight only started about 30 seconds ago!" They all pile out...

And entirely ignore the battle going on? Where are they going?

To taze, beat up, then curbstomp a streaker. That's right. The police of Stilwater drove by a gang shoot out, all to assault someone running around nude.

MechMantis on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Ahahahaha. This game is awesome.

Example: I'm about 10 minutes into the actual GAME. I'm going over to Aisha's place, and on my way I end up in the middle of a gang shooting. So I'm shooting back every so often, and then I notice a few police cars pull up! "Wow! They have a quick response time! This fight only started about 30 seconds ago!" They all pile out...

And entirely ignore the battle going on? Where are they going?

To taze, beat up, then curbstomp a streaker. That's right. The police of Stilwater drove by a gang shoot out, all to assault someone running around nude.

So, pretty much right on the ball with the realistic cop AI.

Buttcleft on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    IdolNinja wrote: »
    Adus wrote: »

The higher levels of Crowd Control are next to impossible solo. In coop, one can protect the celeb while the other racks up the big bonus kills. Trail Blazing is also easier coop since your partner can throw firebombs off the back and get you lots of extra time added to the clock.

the trick to crowd control at high levels is just to spam throw the people into each other, you don't need the custom kills to win it.

When someone is on the ground, you can curb stomp them once to kill them.

Morkath on
  • Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In crowd control, just grab a bat and go to town. On higher levels you should rack up enough cash just from beating faces to win it easily.

Adhesive to plastic on
    edited September 2009
    donhonk on
    edited September 2009
    donhonk wrote: »

Long, but worth it.

Holy shit, that's awesome. Delivery System is the best damn shenanigans ever. I was laughing so hard the entire time we were sticking each other with satchels and planning stupid kamikaze tactics. :^:

EDIT: Damn shame that youtube killed all the sound in the vid. Let me know when you've got it uploaded at Vimeo.

IdolNinja on
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sticky bombs: great weapon or greatest weapon?

Blain on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    WHERE'S MAH SKULL, BITCH TOOK MAH SKULL---oh wait.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    This is just too awesome not to post right now:
    sr2pc2009092222373255.jpg

donhonk, you are a madman. :D

IdolNinja on
    edited September 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XeHP6yxwnI

Sound seems to work again!? Hooray!

donhonk on
    edited September 2009
    Playing SR2 coop with donhonk is just a whole new level of awesome. Any doubters just need to see this pic:
    sr2pc2009092222532146.jpg

IdolNinja on
  • BistiboyBistiboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This game definitely lends it self a little more toward Tarantino than Sergio Leone.

Bistiboy on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Idolninja you shut up you will never be me. You will never have what me and don have. Which is a love that is as deep as the sky is wide and the ocean is blue.. and also deep.

What we have is something you WILL NEVER HAVE!

Tell him Donhonk. Tell him about our love.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    edited September 2009
    Idolninja you shut up you will never be me. You will never have what me and don have. Which is a love that is as deep as the sky is wide and the ocean is blue.. and also deep.

I don't want to love him. I just want to blow him up. Is that so wrong?

IdolNinja on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Edit: apparently some people(read: melodramatic little girls) can't take an obvious joke.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    edited September 2009
    Ah, love.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am now fully convinced that the only reason there is a "walk" button in the game is to potentially slow walk away from something exploding. I must test this.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    I am now fully convinced that the only reason there is a "walk" button in the game is to potentially slow walk away from something exploding. I must test this.

There are two reasons, actually. That one and the pimp walk.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
    edited September 2009

You can't do NOTHING WITH HIM WHORE. I'll KILL YOU FUCKING COME FOR YOU AND MURDER YOU.

IDOL IM SORRY YOU HAD TO SEE THIS

...I FELL DOWN THE STAIRS

donhonk on
    edited September 2009
    Okay. The lure of co-op has finally gotten to me. I need to try and give it a shot.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rockmannand

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fun times tonight.

IdolNinja and me flexing after beating up on inmates. I covet his awesome SMGs.
    saintsrow2fightclubvict.jpg
    Renaldo truck surfing with an RPG. We shot everything, and I covet his awesome pistols.
    saintsrow2trucksurfing.jpg

Blain on
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dual Kobra's with infinite ammo.

I got them before I started my first mission.

They have got me through all of them.

All of them.

I think the 8 million Ronin/police standoff was a little more intense. There was no end to the sea of them, for real.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
    edited September 2009
    I had most of the top weapons and infinite ammo even before starting anything.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wait wait wait...

Infinite ammo weapons?

Why the hell wasn't I informed?!

MechMantis on
This discussion has been closed.