As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

McGibs seyz: DEAMONETTE PAINTING VID page 5 (nsfw)

124»

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    She doesn't really have any different colours except her hair. Its all just a light blue/gray. The purplish colours on her extremities is just a multiply layer for tinting.

Here's the process:

1: Sketch

2: Lay down dark background under the sketch (normally the colour of the darkest shadows, so usually blue or purple)

3: Lay down really rough underpaint lighting under sketch (I don't always do this, but I normally do it for things that are lighter toned, like her skin.)

4: Start laying down midrange tones on top of sketch. I leave the lineart showing through.

5: Put on highlights, backlights, any other detail stuff, etc etc.

6: mask out character from background (this one doesnt have a background, but I do the same thing of just painting around them so I can easily work without painting over them.)

7: Add background elements, atmospheric depth, etc etc (again, none here)

8: Add overlay textures and make final colour/contrast adjustments.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gibs wrote:
    It's set to change direction when I paint, so the square rotates around.

You can do that?
    Which runs into my next question, how do you do that?

Mustang on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In the brushes menu / shape dynamics / angle jitter control to 'direction'.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well I'll be damned, life just got a whole lot easier. Thanks gibs

Mustang on
  • UnterpreizUnterpreiz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    McGibs wrote: »
    She doesn't really have any different colours except her hair. Its all just a light blue/gray. The purplish colours on her extremities is just a multiply layer for tinting.

Here's the process:

1: Sketch

2: Lay down dark background under the sketch (normally the colour of the darkest shadows, so usually blue or purple)

3: Lay down really rough underpaint lighting under sketch (I don't always do this, but I normally do it for things that are lighter toned, like her skin.)

4: Start laying down midrange tones on top of sketch. I leave the lineart showing through.

5: Put on highlights, backlights, any other detail stuff, etc etc.

6: mask out character from background (this one doesnt have a background, but I do the same thing of just painting around them so I can easily work without painting over them.)

7: Add background elements, atmospheric depth, etc etc (again, none here)

8: Add overlay textures and make final colour/contrast adjustments.

Thanks! That helps a lot. I get really flustered with all the colour options in Photoshop, haha.

Unterpreiz on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I approve of this thread.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you