As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NHL] The NHL is fixed. Refs and commentators determine games.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So Fleury skated with the Flames in training camp.

I'm.....I'm hoping he does a season here in Calgary, his past be damned.

You mean the Flames are trying to defy the odds and make themselves even less likable?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

You mean the Flames are trying to defy the odds and make themselves even less likable?

Fleury is still well-liked here in Calgary. I mean, he's an arrogant fuck-wit, but it'd be a great time to watch Flames hockey.

Nova_C on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thornton-Healtey will be the league scariest 1-2 punch.... in the regular season, that is.

Ottawa did the best they could in the circumstances. Their scoring is a lot more balanced than it was last year. They wont have to rely on their big 3 so much. Their goaltending should also be improved.

When you look at it, all 3 canadian teams in the northeast have made significant changes in the off season. Should be pretty interesting to watch how this unfolds when the puck drops.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Fleury is still well-liked here in Calgary. I mean, he's an arrogant fuck-wit, but it'd be a great time to watch Flames hockey.

The chances of Fleury making the team are pretty much zero. Earlier in the off season Sutter said we had enough NHL ready talent to fill 6 forward lines (4 of the 6 being 3rd or 4th lines, but really good ones) What do you think the chances are of Fleury beating out someone like Backlund?

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited September 2009
    Trus wrote: »
    The chances of Fleury making the team are pretty much zero. Earlier in the off season Sutter said we had enough NHL ready talent to fill 6 forward lines (4 of the 6 being 3rd or 4th lines, but really good ones) What do you think the chances are of Fleury beating out someone like Backlund?

Yeah, I know. It's still fun.

Nova_C on
  • 3v3v Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jean wrote: »
    Thornton-Healtey will be the league scariest 1-2 punch.... in the regular season, that is.

San Jose Power Play first unit

Heatley Thornton Marleau

Boyle Blake

You can also take blake or boyle off the top PP and move them to the second and have marleau QB it from the point and input Setoguchi in his place.

Fuck yes I can't wait to see San Jose's powerplay this year.

3v on
    512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Trus wrote: »

Yeah, I know. It's still fun.

I think Fleury is destined for Abbotsford. And it still seems bizzaro that the Flame's AHL team is in a suburb of Vancouver.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tofu on
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    tofu wrote: »

Hmmm, very intersesting.

Anyone else heading to the Sharks preseason game vs the Canucks on Friday? Should be good times.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, dispute losing the game, the Leafs looked great lastnight. After a few more games under the younger player's belts and working out the lines to get some of our vets in (Blake, Stajan) we might have a shot of making the playoffs this year....

(no cup chance, but at this point just making the playoffs would be amazing.)

Sharp101 on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, Sheldon Souray broke 2 panes of glass with his slap shot in about 5 minutes during the Oilers/Islanders game yesterday. It was pretty awesome. How would you like to be that goalie for the Islanders last night trying to make a good impression, and this one guy on the other team keeps breaking the fucking glass behind your head.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think Sheldon might be shooting for the hardest slap shot record this year. Looks like he's already in mid-season form.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited September 2009
    Decius wrote: »
    I think Sheldon might be shooting for the hardest slap shot record this year. Looks like he's already in mid-season form.

he's already been clocked well over 100mph in training camp. It's pretty sick. Now, if only he could hit the net more :rotate:

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

he's already been clocked well over 100mph in training camp. It's pretty sick. Now, if only he could hit the net more :rotate:

he better hit that net, got him in our Penny Arcade Fantasy Hockey league

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited September 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    So, Sheldon Souray broke 2 panes of glass with his slap shot in about 5 minutes during the Oilers/Islanders game yesterday. It was pretty awesome. How would you like to be that goalie for the Islanders last night trying to make a good impression, and this one guy on the other team keeps breaking the fucking glass behind your head.

I might rather be the goalie in his pads than the forward on his team told to stand in front of the net when he's shooting if Souray's shot placement is hitting the glass. :P

Corvus on
    edited September 2009
    Also, Petr Sykora signed with the Wild.

Corvus on
    edited September 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    Also, Petr Sykora signed with the Wild.

1 year, 1.6 million. Good deal for the Wild.

wunderbar on
    edited September 2009
    Phaneuf busted the glass with his slapshot a couple times in a game in his rookie season. It was pretty cool. He seems to be making less of an impact (har har) these days, though.

Fleury is playing in the exhibition game tonight against....Chicago? Anyway, it's too bad I don't have cable.

Nova_C on
    edited September 2009
    More moves, Afinogenov to Atlanta on a tryout. Rob Niedermeyer apparantly going to play for Moscow Dynamo, Zherdev also off to KHL.

Corvus on
    edited September 2009
    Canucks/Ducks on TV right now. Lighting in Anaheim is awful.

Corvus on
    edited September 2009
    Yes. Good night for the Leafs. First we beat the Penguins. Then we get Kessel.

I can see this being a great season.

Sharp101 on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    You get Kessel for a 2010 1st and 2nd rounder and a 2011 1st rounder.

Heres to the Leafs going 0-164!

JustinSane07 on
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Famous last words?

Please dont read too deeply into preseason action. Keep in mind the Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the preseason last year.

quovadis13 on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, preseason basically means jack shit. Its fun to see some of the new players on your team play, but dont treat it like it means anything come regular season. Especially in the first four or five games.

Corvus on
    edited September 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    Yeah, preseason basically means jack shit. Its fun to see some of the new players on your team play, but dont treat it like it means anything come regular season. Especially in the first four or five games.

Preseason games are usually the coaches playing with their lines to see if some unexpected chemistry happens. The Flames got steamrolled by the Oilers, but EVERYONE knows the Flames are about a zillion times better. :)

Nova_C on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Wooooot!

And I totally didn't realize hockey was already starting. Go Leafs!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hockey hasn't started, this is just preseason junk.

tofu on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It'll be interesting to see how Kessel does without a passer like Savard feeding him. Kessel can create opportunities for himself with his speed, but he tends to go through phases where he tries the same 1-on-1 move repeatedly without success. It should be interesting seeing how much more of the offensive load he has to carry and whether or not he can step up to that responsibility.

I think 5.4 million is a lot to spend on a guy with large flaws in his game. Kessel is poor defensively, poor along the boards, and not very physical. He's a decent passer when he wants to be, and a good puck handler, but his speed and shot are his best assets. He's only scored over 20 goals once, and that was on a line with one of the game's best passers and the game's best young power forward, assets he won't have in Toronto.

He may not handle the Toronto media well. He's never been well-liked, and if he starts slow it could get rough for him in a hurry.

As for the Bruins, they're hoping that the return of Sturm and Bergeron's recovery into the 70+ point player he was will make up for Kessel's departure. I think Kessel's speed will be missed, as there's no one on the Bruins that can stretch the ice like him. He was their only true speedster.

Nightslyr on
    edited September 2009
    Well, Kessel doesn't start until at least november, so the team will have a while to learn to play without him.

Also, he - along with quite a few other newer leaf players - is really young. Even if this year pans out, these player should grow over the next few years together and might make a pretty decent team.

Sharp101 on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    At least Boston didn't fall for that Kaberle for Kessel garbage. Those draft picks are excellent return, especially since Toronto will probably end up finishing in the bottom half of the table again. I can see Boston getting a top 10 pick next year.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For those that haven't seen it; Phaneuf wrecking Okposo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iql-lyihBkM

Wibod on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Unfortunately that was a clean hit. A rather tragic outcome, but a clean hit. The penalties were all for the aftermath.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited September 2009
    Unfortunately that was a clean hit. A rather tragic outcome, but a clean hit. The penalties were all for the aftermath.

Yeah. That happens whenever a player is caught with his head down. I feel bad for Okposo, but it was clean.

Nova_C on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If anyone wants to watch the Habs/Sens game, it's streaming here:

http://atdhe.net/9255/watch-montreal-canadiens-vs-ottawa-senators

(Sens' Rogers TV broadcast, english language)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hagman to the rescue.

Aridhol on
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I cant see anything particulary dirty about that hit either, but was it really neccesary to do that in a pre-season game?

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As a long time defender of Kronwall, I have to say that hit is fine. Though I hate Phaneuf.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Toronto currently playing Pittsburgh. 2-1 Pittsburgh in the 2nd.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I went to the LA/NYI game in Kansas City last night. Both teams played sloppy and I think they were more interested in fighting than actually playing the game. Wayne Simmonds (LA) was shafted on not getting the 1st star of the game. The guy scored a short-handed goal, and open net goal, beat the shit out of someone, and he's one of the only brown dudes in the league.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
    edited September 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    Toronto currently playing Pittsburgh. 2-1 Pittsburgh in the 2nd.

Holy crap did Kadri ever save this game.

First he ties it up with a minute left in the 3rd, then makes the first Shootout shot with a super clean goal.

Sharp101 on
This discussion has been closed.