As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - The Why No Future Support Thread

SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
In the build up to Modern Warfare 2, I really hope to be playing and enjoying Dragon Rising.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is the sequel to the well received, wait for it, Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. The creators of the original series have since been taken off the project and committed their resources to a slightly less well received game series titled Armed Assault. However, that's another thread.
Operation_Flashpoint_2.jpg

So what is Dragon Rising about? If everything comes to plan, Dragon Rising will be an incredibly realistic portrayal of modern warfare. You will be placed on the island Kiska, near Alaska. Rule over Kiska has ranged from the Chinese, Russians, and the Japanese.

Oil were found. War were declared.

From Wiki
his game takes place on a small, fictional island located off the north coast of Japan called Skira during the present day. The island is a contested territory between Russia and China and becomes the center of an armed conflict when a large untapped oil and gas reserve is discovered there. The game begins as the player arrives as part of the United States Marine Corps and tasked with capturing the island on behalf of the Russians from the Chinese military.

As mentioned, Dragon Rising will be an authentic gaming experience. It's been described as "sandbox" in the sense that the entire island of Kiska is open for your exploration with a draw distance of 35km. If you were to cross the entire island, on foot, in the game, you would have to walk for 9 hours straight. Real time. Not no fancy game time.

There are 70 weapons in game with realistic ballistics. Bullets will ricochet. Guns are extensively modifiable.

There is co op multiplayer along with competitive multiplayer that allows for two teams of four players, each controller three AI combatants along with a directly controlled character.

Here's you some fancy YouTube videos.

Trailer

Gameplay

And here's a very very awesome developer walkthrough.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/699165/Exclusive-Operation-Flashpoint-Dragon-Rising-Direct-Feed-Developer-Walkthrough.html

Contains tons of info regarding game maps, graphics, gameplay, all the good stuff.

Sheep on

• AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm really looking forward to this game.

I'm just hoping the CP controlled team mates aren't totally useless like in Ranbow Six and Ghost Recon.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    From the developer walkthrough vid, your team mates won't simply stand there and return fire if you don't give commands.

They at least take cover.

Sheep on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This sounds really good on paper, but I hope there'll be a demo. I'll need just a bit more of a push than my fuzzy memory telling me that the original OF was pretty good.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The reason this is not being hyped around here is because I feel this community has fallen in favor of Bohemia Interactive.

See, Bohemia developed Operation Flashpoint, while Codemasters retained the rights to the name. The true sequels continued with Bohemia under the titles ArmA and ArmA 2.

This iteration of Operation Flashpoint is not really a sequel (aside from name.) Its not even the same engine. Its expected to be a dumbed down version of Operation Flashpoint/ArmA, more like the Battlefield series.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Operation Flashpoint is in my top 10 PC games of all time. It was just fantastic when it came out. (Did not care as much for Arma though)

I don't know if this sequel will actually come through though, what with the developer debacle and all.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Why no hype? Hardcore mode has no compass. Co-op mode features a 275m tether for the 4 players. For a realistic shooter it certainly seems to nail the 'glue your gun to your face' feature that CoD uses. Very limited console multiplayer (4vs4 instead of the already-tiny 16vs16 on PC).

I really want it to be a good game because then I could get it on PS3 and play it with my buddies who don't have the high-end gaming rigs needed to play ArmA, but at the same time I look at what it is offering and what you get out of ArmA and can't help but feel pessimistic about it.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm cautiously optimistic. Arma 2 just seems to be getting over its teething problems now and some of the better mods are starting to show up. It'll take something noticeably better to get over that kind of momentum.

That was some fine looking video though.

ProPatriaMori on
    edited September 2009
    This iteration of Operation Flashpoint is not really a sequel (aside from name.) Its not even the same engine. Its expected to be a dumbed down version of Operation Flashpoint/ArmA, more like the Battlefield series.

What makes you think that?

I haven't heard good things about the two ArmA games.

Sheep on
  • Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

What makes you think that?

a)Read the previews and watch the videos, and read the interviews. They speak of "streamlining" and "adapating the game to a new crowd" etc.
    b)Codemasters devs said themselves is not a "simulator". i haved read that quote in a RPS interview, btw.
    c) the creators of Operation Flashpoint are not doing Ofp Dragon Raising, they are doing the Arma series.
    d)This is the first game of this type of the developers, it could be good, it couldn't be.
    e)The flaws of the Arma series are very close to the flaws of the original Operation Flashpoint. People forget that Opf had also their own share of bugs, it was a perfomance hog, etc, it just that it was so good and different from all other shooters than people overlook these things. The same can be applied to the ArmA games.
    f)This game is being developed by a big company like Codemasters, and being done for consoles and pc. Do you really think it is going to be the same hardcore experience? Big companies like Codies, EA, Activison, Ubisoft always search profibitality, that means making games for the biggest gaming crowd possible, not for a small niche of gamers. Even more when you develop a game for consoles also, it's not like they are lots of hard militaristic simulation games in consoles.
    g)All that said, it still could be a good game, just don't expect a true sucessor of the first Operation Flashponit. Expect an hybrid, a compromise, something between Operation Flashpoint, Ghost Recon, Battlefield and Call of Duty.

Turin Turambar on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    just watch the classic "I was shot in the head but now I'm better" video to see how NOT hardcore the new game is.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I heard on the PCgamer podcast about a map someone made where they were a goat walking down the road, trying to avoid getting blown up in a pitched battle between American and Chinese forces, can I get a video of this?

RoyceSraphim on
    edited September 2009
    Sheep wrote: »

I don't think I've ever seen a game take 'you either love it or you hate it' to such an extreme degree as ArmA 2. While it has its share of flaws (some would say more, and boy howdy some are doozies) there is nothing else on the market that comes anywhere near it in terms of its accuracy as an infantry simulation. It is an extremely large game, has a very large variety of things included with it, and your enjoyment of it is entirely dependent on whether or not you and your friends can make missions that don't suck.

It's also a very niche game for a very small market, because let's face it, not all that many people enjoy games that frequently result in walking for 20 minutes then being shot by a guy laying down in the grass 500m away that you never even saw.

From all I've seen of this new game, it's going to try and console-ize ArmA, and it doesn't seem like it's going to do a very good job of it. One of my favorite aspects of ArmA is that you basically must be standing still if you want to fire with any accuracy. (By accuracy of course I'm talking about shooting people 150+ meters away) They do a very good job of modeling how difficult it is to hold a rifle steady in an aiming position at all, let alone while moving, and how it basically isn't possible while running. This results in gameplay that boils down to finding a good firing position, stopping and taking cover, and then firing. On the other hand, watching less than 30 seconds of the videos of OFP: DR shows me that this isn't necessary in this new game, because despite any movement you might be doing your rifle stays rock-solid whether from the hip or while using iron sights.

The best thing about ArmA is that you have complete freedom to develop missions however you want. The only difference between a single player and a multiplayer mission in ArmA is the number of soldiers controlled by humans. The only difference between a co-op and a competitive mission is whether there are human players on both sides or only one. The only limitation to the number of players appears to be the horsepower of your server (I've seen player counts above 100 several times). The limitation on how far apart they can be is the size of the map, the base map is 220 square km but my understanding is that if you want to map out Colorado and play through a campaign of Red Dawn, you can do that.

To contrast this, OFP has 4-player co-op, 32-player competitive, and a 275m tether. That tether means you won't be able to create missions that involve multiple squads doing multiple things - for instance, a mission involving one specops squad clearing a town street-by-street while being supported by a sniper/spotter pair 1.2km away on a hillside just flat out isn't possible from what the developers have said.

With all that said, this is a game coming to PS3, and I have a lot of friends who have PS3's but not the high-end gaming rig required to run ArmA. So if this means I can get at least some semi-serious tactilol action going with my buddies, I'll get it and be hapy.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Why no hype? Hardcore mode has no compass. Co-op mode features a 275m tether for the 4 players. For a realistic shooter it certainly seems to nail the 'glue your gun to your face' feature that CoD uses. Very limited console multiplayer (4vs4 instead of the already-tiny 16vs16 on PC).

I really want it to be a good game because then I could get it on PS3 and play it with my buddies who don't have the high-end gaming rigs needed to play ArmA, but at the same time I look at what it is offering and what you get out of ArmA and can't help but feel pessimistic about it.

Most of my friends refuse to game on PC's these days, so I'm rooting for this game to be great as well.

Yall on
    edited September 2009
    it's a "infantry sim" game in which you survive headshots.

It's nothing like ARMA or the original OFP. If you want hardcore infantry fps games, you won't find them on consoles.

ArmA's optimal setup includes a TrackIR unit for enhanced simulation...

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It seems to me that once they remove a lot of the hardcore sim elements of the game excusing things like bad animation, voice acting and other shortcomings no longer makes sense.

Also that second "gameplay" footage trailer looks hilariously fake, looks like they pasted several mountain images over one another and then waved a static gun image over the top in flash.

-SPI- on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Basically it depends what you're looking for. ArmA is very much a niche series devoted to being as accurate a soldier-sim as is possible whilst still maintaining fun. To put it bluntly, the game has no concept of the term "fair". Most FPS's try to maintain a somewhat level playing field where you're always given a chance, where you can always succeed. In ArmA you could be dropped literally as soon as the lead starts flying. Or it could be that the other guy will be hopelessly outmatched and you'll steamroller them because you had a tonne of support backing you up whilst they were left wandering and exposed.

OpFl 2 is naturally trying for a larger audience, and on a lower hardware requirement. It's ultimately going to be a less frustrating experience, but at the same time this limits how versatile it can be as a game. The ArmA series in general has always come into its own the most in mutliplayer, either co-op or competitive.

ArmA is all about crafting the scenarios and making your own fun by playing and co-ordinating together in massive set piece battles that would make air-traffic controllers wide-eyed at the complexity of events going on in that space. In, OpFl 2 the gameplay is going to be more limited and local in scope, but that also means that you don't have to work as hard to get to it. Going hand in hand with that accessibility, it's also looking as if it's going to be a more polished game in terms of ordering your squadmates around with the radial command menu, that looked quite intuitive.

EDIT: I just had a look at that dev walkthrough, and yeah, that really has cemented that they're two completely different styles of games. OpFl2 is far more a run-n-gun, shoot from the hip action game, where ArmA 2 is much, much more brutal. The number of times he got hit there was something ridiculous. They say "no hitpoints" but that doesn't mean much when you're taking lead and still standing, and sprinting headfirst into enemy fire.

subedii on
    edited September 2009
    Sheep on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Will this be getting a Console demo?

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited September 2009
    Jesus Christ.

I was trying to convince my console buddies to at least rent this. One of them said "It's too much like Left 4 Dead, and I don't think that's a very good game either."

Some people don't deserve to play games at all.

Yall on
    edited September 2009
    Yall wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

I was trying to convince my console buddies to at least rent this. One of them said "It's too much like Left 4 Dead, and I don't think that's a very good game either."

He's right.
    There's guns.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
    edited September 2009
    Jesus Christ.

Wow, i think you are right.

But... a zombie mode would rock! :P

Turin Turambar on
    edited September 2009
    So how many of you are planning to grab this day 1?

Yall on
  • MaskirovkaMaskirovka Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't think many people were expecting this game to be ArmA-like despite the name. I think the devs have done a pretty good job being up front about what to expect. I hadn't heard about the 275m tether in co-op, that's pretty lame. Though I'm sure it fits the missions they've designed. Hopefully it will be moddable on PC.

I couldn't care less about console versions...I still have no idea why anyone plays a FPS on console...I'd rather play with the lowest gfx settings ever on PC. I guess some people don't care about doing a 180 in under 9 hours and they're fine with the super slow analog stick.

I'm prepared for this game to suck for some of the various reasons stated earlier, but I don't think they're trying to console-ize ArmA at all. There's a reason I don't play ArmA, and it's because when I have an hour or two to play games, I don't want to spend 1/4 of that walking around trying to get into the action. Well, that and the controls...I realize ArmA is trying to be a true sim, but I don't find that very fun personally. I would really enjoy the tactical coordination aspects if I had bigger blocks of time available to play.

As for the videos and how many times people get hit...you have no idea what difficulty they're playing on, and it's possible they're using some godmode thing to demo the game. If you judged say, CoD4 on easy vs. veteran, you'd see quite a lot of difference.

Also, this game does supposedly support TrackIR, but only for vehicles/aircraft (unfortunately).

I'll probably buy it day 1 since I've been super bored lately and itching for a new game...and this comes out before everything else I'm interested in (Borderlands, Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age: Origins, etc.)

Maskirovka on
    edited September 2009
    275M tether?

That sucks...

Yall on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2009
    275M tether?

That sucks...

Sounds more like sloppy netcode programming turned into a "feature".

Echo on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The animations don't look bad at all, they just don't have them for certain things. Like for the gunner on the humvee, he was completely plastic.

Hoz on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I want ARMA2 to look like this game or this game to play like ARMA2.

Is that too much to ask?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The distance you can view in the gameplay video in the OP is striking. I quite liked the first Operation Flashpoint, thanks for making me aware of the sequel.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This looks interesting and more along the lines I want. ArmA is wayyyyy to sim for my tastes but I want some thing along the lines of the first Ghost Recon with a mix of Battlefield 2. Wide open areas with real world weapons and uses and quick deaths but with easy to use controls and gameplay.

May pick it up after some reviews.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    I want ARMA2 to look like this game or this game to play like ARMA2.

Is that too much to ask?

It is not too much, but it is wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. I can understand liking Ofp DR more than ArmA 2, becuase most people doesn't like so much "simulation" in their "videogame". And then add the bugs and the bad performance of ArmA2.

But graphics? ArmA 2 is way better than Ofp Dragon Rising. Head and shoulders above.

Turin Turambar on
    edited September 2009
    Maskirovka wrote: »
    I don't think many people were expecting this game to be ArmA-like despite the name. I think the devs have done a pretty good job being up front about what to expect. I hadn't heard about the 275m tether in co-op, that's pretty lame. Though I'm sure it fits the missions they've designed. Hopefully it will be moddable on PC.

I couldn't care less about console versions...I still have no idea why anyone plays a FPS on console...I'd rather play with the lowest gfx settings ever on PC. I guess some people don't care about doing a 180 in under 9 hours and they're fine with the super slow analog stick.

I'm prepared for this game to suck for some of the various reasons stated earlier, but I don't think they're trying to console-ize ArmA at all. There's a reason I don't play ArmA, and it's because when I have an hour or two to play games, I don't want to spend 1/4 of that walking around trying to get into the action. Well, that and the controls...I realize ArmA is trying to be a true sim, but I don't find that very fun personally. I would really enjoy the tactical coordination aspects if I had bigger blocks of time available to play.

As for the videos and how many times people get hit...you have no idea what difficulty they're playing on, and it's possible they're using some godmode thing to demo the game. If you judged say, CoD4 on easy vs. veteran, you'd see quite a lot of difference.

Also, this game does supposedly support TrackIR, but only for vehicles/aircraft (unfortunately).

I'll probably buy it day 1 since I've been super bored lately and itching for a new game...and this comes out before everything else I'm interested in (Borderlands, Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age: Origins, etc.)

This is a lot of dumb.

Of course people are going to go looking at a game called Operation Flashpoint 2 and compare it with the original OFP, continuing from there to the game that was made by the same developer as the original. This is a normal thing to do, just like when people were comparing Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band. Furthermore they go out of their way to describe this game as a hardcore military simulator, and really the only other game like that on the market is ArmA 2 so you'd be comparing them anyways.

Something tells me that if you don't have the time to spend playing missions in ArmA, you won't in OFP2 either.

And did you seriously just suggest that they demo'd the game with some sort of godmode on? o_O

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And did you seriously just suggest that they demo'd the game with some sort of godmode on? o_O
    Umm, developers frequently do this.

Hoz on
    edited September 2009
    Hoz wrote: »

Outside of small showings of the engine and whatnot, I've never seen this done. That is to say, when showing off the normal gameplay one would expect, it is unusual to say the least.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    275m is quite a lot though. It's not 275 hand or toes or whatever barbaric anthropometric measure unit you folks still cling too.
    <3
    And the guy's player character did lose some health when he got headshotted, it was not god mode.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2009

Outside of small showings of the engine and whatnot, I've never seen this done. That is to say, when showing off the normal gameplay one would expect, it is unusual to say the least.

I've seen it a lot. Usually to show off the environments without worrying about having to restart at any point of time during a presentation, which are timed.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • MaskirovkaMaskirovka Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    But graphics? ArmA 2 is way better than Ofp Dragon Rising. Head and shoulders above.

I thought you were on crack after your first post...now it's confirmed.

Maskirovka on
    edited September 2009
    275m is quite a lot though.

It's really not, though. You can pretty reliably hit people with an M4 at that distance.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    275m is quite a lot though. It's not 275 hand or toes or whatever barbaric anthropometric measure unit you folks still cling too.
    <3
    And the guy's player character did lose some health when he got headshotted, it was not god mode.

In a world that is 225 square kilos, fuck no 275 meters is not a lot. It's miniscule.

I can come up with tons of scenarios where I might want to be > 300m away from my teammates.

Yall on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I quite liked the first Operation Flashpoint, thanks for making me aware of the sequel.

Maybe you didn't read the thread... This is only Operation Flashpoint by name.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited September 2009

YMMV, but I see it happen pretty often.

Usually so Devs can talk and demo and play to the crowd without worrying about dying.

Sheep on