As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Trading Cards - Meetup After Closing Ceremonies At PAX

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Really looking forward to PSDs of these so we can start a'making and a'tweaking. Great work! :D

We should also decide on a vendor before we start going crazy. I found this site and they seem to be on the level but we should shop around for some vendors and see if any will work with us. That site offers 10% off but we should see about deeper discounts since we'll be bringing in a lot of business and also if they will send us some samples so we can choose the best quality.

Atlus Parker on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's a unique concept, though I'm more of a button whore. Plus $42 for 250 trading cards from that site?? Would you even NEED that many?

Seriously, would you need more or less? I'm a n00b with that sort of thing.

But I think I agree with the sentiment of "how to store/carry". In the end, I think it would definitely be a good idea for maybe a forum-based thing, but I feel like a LOT of people would not get the message soon enough and there'd be a lot of people left out.

Just want to bring up possible thoughts. :P

feitocomfruta on
  • DragondevonDragondevon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am a TCG junkie, I have played the pokemon, magic, yugioh, marvel/dc, and quite a few other ones if you guys would like I could create a really good design for the front and back of the cards and create a really simple set of rules so you can play the game as well...they could both be just to collect and to play. a simple idea to showing off the cards would be to tape a card on the back of the pax pass and try to keep it flipped over unless your walking through a checkpoint of course. I would like to do this for you even though there is (sadly) no way i will be able to afford to go to east. But I will be there for PRIME 10, in which case i would be able to join in the fun.

Dragondevon on
    "The times are duanting, its perilous to walk out your front door anymore. The enemy is everywhere, hidden in technology, smiling faces, and laziness. Though, we are not given the luxury to give up. We are the last bastion of hope for our species. We are HUMANS!!!!RAAAAAR"-Devon
    "Dude, I think he's a zombie."
    "No he's not, he's dead."
    "But he's still walking around."
    "Which makes him one of the walking dead."
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."
    "No, that makes him a zombie."

"You sound like WALL-E having sex with a Speak and Spell"
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am a TCG junkie, I have played the pokemon, magic, yugioh, marvel/dc, and quite a few other ones if you guys would like I could create a really good design for the front and back of the cards and create a really simple set of rules so you can play the game as well...they could both be just to collect and to play. a simple idea to showing off the cards would be to tape a card on the back of the pax pass and try to keep it flipped over unless your walking through a checkpoint of course. I would like to do this for you even though there is (sadly) no way i will be able to afford to go to east. But I will be there for PRIME 10, in which case i would be able to join in the fun.

As much as I like the idea of a playable game, I think I have to agree with previous statements that trying to establish a rules system, balance it out, assign workable stats, etc. will bog the process down too much and eventually end up stalling the idea. I realize that I'm a newb to PAX, but I'd vote for just the collectible aspect, not the playable. (like the Marvel cards)

Facelesscog on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited September 2009
    I'm actually liking this idea more, the more it becomes trading cards and the less it tries to become a game.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think having a standardized back and a personalized front to the cards is the best solution. That way they are all part of the same "Set", but if someone really wants to make their card fit in with a TCG's rules they can.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Trying to make a game out of it is a bad idea. Trading would be super fun.

Why would you have blue Prime cards? Isn't the whole point separate East from Prime? Also, if you're going by where you're from that sort of leaves out the entire middle of the US who is not on a coast to pick sides.

eye-shuh on
    edited September 2009
    I think people should be able to pick their own border colors.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If people pick their own border colors that goes back to the rainbow kids project.

My vote is we all drink the red kool aid.

eye-shuh on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For series one we will have a template (with red border) that people can use. If someone wants to do something creative that is their prerogative.

For people worried about cost, you can always just print on hard stock. I have a feeling that this will ultimately be cheaper than buttons (even with professional solutions) because of materials and weight involved, we just have to find the right vendor for our purposes.

PeasantDave on
    edited September 2009
    For series one we will have a template (with red border) that people can use. If someone wants to do something creative that is their prerogative.

For people worried about cost, you can always just print on hard stock. I have a feeling that this will ultimately be cheaper than buttons (even with professional solutions) because of materials and weight involved, we just have to find the right vendor for our purposes.

500 cards from that site I linked is still cheaper than 50 buttons.

Atlus Parker on
  • DarcDarc Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If someone has a better idea for some kind of tradeable item please, please speak up. The trading cards stemmed for the general idea that we did not want all the community events at PAX East to be an exact mirror of PAX Prime's events. The trading cards sounded like a really cool idea so a few people are running with it. Buttons are cool and all but do we really need button trading twice a year?

Alternate possibilities (each with their own foibles) include:

bracelets
    charms (a la charm necklace)
    stickers
    pokemanz

Darc on
    There are 10 kinds of people; Those who read Binary, and Those who don't.

7Zd22nO.png
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darc wrote: »
    Alternate possibilities (each with their own foibles) include:

bracelets - pricey
    charms (a la charm necklace) - pricey
    stickers - possibly okay
    pokemanz - uhm, living animals are probably not allowed. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    so no one likes the idea of a standarized back and two blank corners on the front to make your own playing card decks out of the cards traded?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    so no one likes the idea of a standarized back and two blank corners on the front to make your own playing card decks out of the cards traded?

I'd be down with that. Making them actually useful for something other than display sounds cool.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    skarsol wrote: »

I'd be down with that. Making them actually useful for something other than display sounds cool.

If we reeeeeeeeeeally, really wanted to, we could actually assign people number/suit combinations and try to make workable decks out of this thing.

Traders 1-52 comprise the A deck.
    Traders 53-104 comprise the B deck.
    etc.

Gotta get all the people if you want a complete, working deck of cards. Very Pokemon-esque.

That's pretty ambitious and adds a whole new level of effort to the idea, but I have to say that it's intriguing.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited September 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    skarsol wrote: »

If we reeeeeeeeeeally, really wanted to, we could actually assign people number/suit combinations and try to make workable decks out of this thing.

Traders 1-52 comprise the A deck.
    Traders 53-104 comprise the B deck.
    etc.

Gotta get all the people if you want a complete, working deck of cards.

That's pretty ambitious and adds a whole new level of effort to the idea, but I have to say that it's intriguing.

I maintain that series one should be for funsies. Since it's nearly impossible to collect an entire set it's not like anyone would be able to play with these cards anyway. I should be able to get my samples (likely based on Ike's sample) up tomorrow.

PeasantDave on
    edited September 2009
    uh no that'd be shit hard to do. finding all the right cards. just leave em blank so you can write in whatever you got whenever you get enough cards. and if you do'nt you can use your own extras to fill ot the deck

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not to mention the fact that even if you DID manage to get a whole playable deck together... who are you going to play with? Most PAXers don't have a slew of other paxers handy throughout the year. Much less full pax game deck holding ones.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited September 2009
    they're playing cards when you're done with them, as with my plan you write in 2 to ace, four suits. Most people can use playing cards in one form or another. poker, go fish, black jack, texas hold em, 52 pick up, that wierd magic tcg done with playing cards, etc.

and when people ask about the deck, it's a great topic starter to talk about pax and how they should totally go next year.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2009
    I don't even use regular playing cards, so I'm kind of meh on the whole blank space idea.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited September 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I don't even use regular playing cards, so I'm kind of meh on the whole blank space idea.

On top of that, unless you find a place that specifically prints on playing cards these won't hold up to any kind of abuse. I like the way the designs are going now and can't wait to see the finished template.

Atlus Parker on
    edited September 2009
    I also think we should just be open to making up our own stats names, no matter how ridiculous, but the numerical values should still remain between 1 and 10 or 1 and 20.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited September 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

On top of that, unless you find a place that specifically prints on playing cards these won't hold up to any kind of abuse. I like the way the designs are going now and can't wait to see the finished template.

This shouldn't be hard to do. The more I think about it, the more I like the blank playing card idea. Displaying 100+ "baseball" cards is gonna take up a bunch of space. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

This.

The only way a card game could conceivably work would be if a person, or group of people, privately created a rule system. Then they would have to impose this system upon all card traders, stifling creativity. In other words, it's a great idea in concept, a horrible one in practice.

I would say, create a very basic template, and if people want to add something else to it (Stats, quote, biography, etc) let them. Remember that we want to keep this as accessible as possible to encourage more people to join. The more complex/the more effort it requires, the less people will be interested in participating.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This has been brought up, but one thing about buttons is that they're easily displayable and it's easy to tell who's participating. How are we going to do that with cards?

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited September 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    This has been brought up, but one thing about buttons is that they're easily displayable and it's easy to tell who's participating. How are we going to do that with cards?

Hanging one from your lanyard has been suggested (I will be doing that). Also, we are hoping that the fact cards weigh/cost substantially less opens the door for other methods of displaying.

PeasantDave on
    edited September 2009
    DaNerd wrote: »
    The only way a card game could conceivably work would be if a person, or group of people, privately created a rule system. Then they would have to impose this system upon all card traders, stifling creativity. In other words, it's a great idea in concept, a horrible one in practice.

I don't think anyone's pushing for the TCG idea anymore. We're talking about 52 card deck playing cards like for poker or blackjack. Those rules have already been made. :P

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like the TCG idea. Like Moe, I don't even use regular playing cards that much anymore. We don't even need to have a coherent game. I think the best would be to have maybe 5 standardized stats and then one stat that's whatever you want, and maybe a personal "power". If someone actually wanted to come up with rules for it, they could make their own homebrew TCG. It wouldn't have to be imposed on anyone else.

As I myself probably wouldn't be using them for anything but display, I'd prefer trading cards to buttons (they take up less space).

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well there should definitely be a space for us to include flavor text. Whether it be a personal quote, tcg rule, or something completely random.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited September 2009
    The main obstacle to making the cards into something resembling a legitimate TCG is going to be balance. If there's a standardized set of stats, there should be a standard number of distribution points. Say that there are 5 stats, and you have something like 20 points to assign among them.

Of course, the most important thing would still be to make sure that there's plenty of room for personalization/customization and goofing off.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited September 2009
    and hey, all these tcg things like stats and such can be on the card along with the two corners left blank to turn into a playing deck if you still choose that route as well

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • xibalbaxibalba Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    and hey, all these tcg things like stats and such can be on the card along with the two corners left blank to turn into a playing deck if you still choose that route as well

i actually think that is a great idea me and a bunch of my friends play poker a lot and these would be a nice conversation starter. i guess the only real problem is the whole standarize back. Since no one wants to conform and have a standard back with whatever you want design on the front it wouldnt suit well to cards.

but my vote (since it is worthless) goes for the playing card idea.

xibalba on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    xibalba wrote: »
    i actually think that is a great idea me and a bunch of my friends play poker a lot and these would be a nice conversation starter.

Hey, that gives me another idea to throw out...has anyone considered custom printed poker chips? I mean, since everyone's talking about a card game.

6258796.gif

Not to de-rail this or anything, it was just a thought related to cards :)

Hypatia on
  • xibalbaxibalba Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hypatia wrote: »
    xibalba wrote: »
    i actually think that is a great idea me and a bunch of my friends play poker a lot and these would be a nice conversation starter.

Hey, that gives me another idea to throw out...has anyone considered custom printed poker chips? I mean, since everyone's talking about a card game.

6258796.gif

Not to de-rail this or anything, it was just a thought related to cards :)

those would be pretty wicked but can be costly i would guess you can get cheap ones that are like .10 a chip but then the printing would probably be costly.

xibalba on
    edited September 2009
    HOW WOULD YOU DISPLAY A POKER CHIPPP

Atlus Parker on
    edited September 2009
    HOW WOULD YOU DISPLAY A POKER CHIPPP

As a monocle. Duh.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited September 2009
    Wait. Wait.

Poker chips + trading cards...

I hereby propose we make PAX East pogs.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited September 2009
    I will kill you

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited September 2009
    Pogs.

Similar in scope to trading cards with game mechanics already in place...

...downside is it's not 1995 so good luck finding a company that would print pogs.

Atlus Parker on
This discussion has been closed.