As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
castle-show.jpg

Nathan Fillions little show that could had a great opener last night. Tied up the cliff hanger from season 1 and continued the chemistry between the leads.

So Beckett hottest cop on tv? Hottest cop on tv.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
Preacher on

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh shit, it was last night? Last night was House night. I didn't think to DVR this.

Damn!

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Beckett with Russian accent was pretty hot.

Also, while I was kind of expecting a pony to be delivered to her house by the end of the episode, having a mature "Castle grows up a little" ending worked well too.

Taramoor on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah beckett busting out the russian and tramp outfit was a nice way of adding sexy without being like "Oh I was just wearing this sexy outfit for no reason." Castle's apology worked because we get the feeling from when he leaves the first time she doesn't want him to go, but he wounded her pride enough his non apologies weren't cutting it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As a reminder, Richard Castle has a book coming out on the 29th. Yes, really.

Tomanta on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »
    As she works to unravel the secrets of the murdered real estate tycoon, she must also confront the spark between them. The one called heat.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have never watched this show. ABC has done a horrid job in marketing it, because I've had zero interest in even trying it.

I'm really surprised it was renewed.

edit: what's the hook? Cop show with tag along writer? Is there more?

mrdobalina on
    edited September 2009
    The actors is the staying point of the show. Fillion is great as Castle, and Katic as Beckett takes what could be a simple vasquez and makes her more than a one note character.

It's basically murder she wrote, combined with moon lighting.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • mrdobalinamrdobalina Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't realize there was even a place for that style of show on TV anymore.

I'll put it on my netflix queue for next May.

mrdobalina on
  • TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    I have never watched this show. ABC has done a horrid job in marketing it, because I've had zero interest in even trying it.

I'm really surprised it was renewed.

edit: what's the hook? Cop show with tag along writer? Is there more?

I agree with the lack of marketing. If it didn't have Nathan Fillion in it, I probably would have never seen it. In fact, after seeing the ONE clip that was released prior to the pilot, I had pretty much given up on it. But I gave it a shot anyway. There's not much more of a "hook" than "murder mystery novelist teams up with a cop to solve crimes", but it works! The writing, the acting, the music and set design, everything just works so well together that it actually surprised me.

TheMarshal on
    edited September 2009
    mrdobalina wrote: »
    I didn't realize there was even a place for that style of show on TV anymore.

I'll put it on my netflix queue for next May.

Compared to the overly flashy/dark of csi. Or the "RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES!" Style of Law and Order. Castle is a nice character based show where the crime isn't always amazing, but the characters make it worth watching.

And despite ABC not running a lot of ads for it, they have it in the sweet slot for their network after dancing with the stars.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Something felt off about last night's episode. Not quite right. Can't really put my finger on it though.

Still, I'm happy to have it back, and plan to keep watching.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Something felt off about last night's episode. Not quite right. Can't really put my finger on it though.

Still, I'm happy to have it back, and plan to keep watching.

I think it was because there was no real whodunnit. The investigation was an afterthought to Castle trying to win Beckett back.

Doronron on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Were I to summarize this it would be "Nathan Fillion can pull anything off"

Khavall on
    edited September 2009
    I've enjoyed that the show doesn't always do a who dunnit. As the more interesting part is the characters advancement. Without character advancement the show is just another cop show based in new york.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I saw half an episode of this last season..so I guess it didn't get canceled?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    did anyone else feel at points last night Fillion was channeling a bit of James Roday's style as Psych's Shawn?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lanz wrote: »
    did anyone else feel at points last night Fillion was channeling a bit of James Roday's style as Psych's Shawn?

Never even crossed my mind, no.

Ketar on
    edited September 2009
    Ketar wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »

Never even crossed my mind, no.

Seriously no, Castle doesn't really bluff (well other than poker) and he's not super observative or anything.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New seasons totally caught me off guard. Definitely gonna have to check this tonight after work.

clsCorwin on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As she works to unravel the secrets of the murdered real estate tycoon, she must also confront the spark between them. The one called heat.

I like that the journalist in the book is named "Jameson Rook".

Taramoor on
    edited September 2009
    Nice, I like name plays like that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    I've still yet to give this a shot. Is Fillion basically Mal without a ship? Or does he create a different character for the role?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited September 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I've still yet to give this a shot. Is Fillion basically Mal without a ship? Or does he create a different character for the role?

Not really mal at all, he's brave but incapable of doing any of the physical stuff. He just plays a cocky rich guy who usually gets what he wants.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Agh, I didn't realize this was on last night. I also missed Heroes and House. And I also realized I didn't see the season one finale of Castle, either. Dammit!

At the very least, though, this means I get two episodes of Castle to watch tonight.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    And he goes over the top with puns. Its great.

clsCorwin on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

You gotta be kidding me.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    deowolf wrote: »

You gotta be kidding me.

I'm going to have to buy that just to put on my book self.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

He's more half Captain Hammer, half Shawn from Psych

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited September 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

I don't see where people are getting shawn from psych, unless being a smarmy person who points things out is solely psychs now. He doesn't bluff people about his abilities, he just usually writes the scenarios so he takes that side of it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

I don't see where people are getting shawn from psych, unless being a smarmy person who points things out is solely psychs now. He doesn't bluff people about his abilities, he just usually writes the scenarios so he takes that side of it.

He's the outsider working with the police who makes fairly wild intuitive leaps and pokes fun in an overly confident way that's all

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Things that are awesome: I understood the Russian before Becket translated. Woot!

Premier kakos on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

He's the outsider working with the police who makes fairly wild intuitive leaps and pokes fun in an overly confident way that's all

He doesn't really make wild intuitive leaps though. He throws out some crazy suggestions in a non-serious way from time to time, but clearly from the point of view of imagining the actual crime as a mystery novel case. The actual helpful deductions he does make from time to time are generally pretty obvious and usually echoed by Beckett. His biggest area of helpfulness with solving crimes seems to come from his connections that he's able to consult, or from his ability to use his money and lack of official standing to "go undercover" in a way the police would not be able to.

Ketar on
  • Esc.HatchEsc.Hatch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

You gotta be kidding me.

I love the quote from the amazon description blurb for the book ["[I]the one called heat[/I]"]. I'm a fan of the show, but doubt I'll buy the book. Even so, it strikes me more as a clever tie-in and less as shameless marketing/cash grab.

Esc.Hatch on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Esc.Hatch wrote: »

You gotta be kidding me.

I love the quote from the amazon description blurb for the book ["[I]the one called heat[/I]"]. I'm a fan of the show, but doubt I'll buy the book. Even so, it strikes me more as a clever tie-in and less as shameless marketing/cash grab.

Yeah, tie-in is what it is (half the book is, or at least was, up for free). I /might/ get it if I want a light, pulpy read, but am not in a rush. If it was a cash grab they would reveal the ghost writer and it'd be a big name.

Tomanta on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    And he goes over the top with puns. Its great.

The puns are truly things of beauty.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nathan Fillion would be enough to sell you, but they put together a pretty good supporting cast, that will grow, if given the time

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Esc.HatchEsc.Hatch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thane wrote: »
    Nathan Fillion would be enough to sell you, but they put together a pretty good supporting cast, that will grow, if given the time

The writer's gave him a lot of good material, too. The show's surprisingly light-hearted for a murder procedural...

Esc.Hatch on
    edited September 2009
    Things that are awesome: I understood the Russian before Becket translated. Woot!

So they actually said what she said they said? (Wow that was a tongue twister). I always wonder when they do a foreign language if they are even saying anything like the translation comes out to be.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, this show is awesome.

Premier kakos on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wasn't this supposed to be on tonight?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg