As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

University connection problems with game

ReviloRevilo Registered User regular
I recently moved into university accomodation.
Im having a problem with the connection in my room.
Its an either net cable from a socket in the wall.
Browsers, msn ect work fine, but when i try to connect to a Team Fortress 2 server, all I get is "Server is not responding"

Is there a way to fix this?

I didnt really set any kind of connection up, I basically just plugged it in and it was working.

thanks

Revilo on

• Options
    Jimmy5150Jimmy5150 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    unfortunately some universities try to block gaming on their residential internet connections...find other gamers who live in your dorm, and they will know some kind of workaround 8-)

Jimmy5150 on

jimmy5150-wide.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ask your Uni's IT dept?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ReviloRevilo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ask your Uni's IT dept?

Im gona try that, but i get the feeling they've purposly made it so i cant play online. I cant download torrents to use certain video streaming sites either.
    What i was hoping for was some sort of 'back door' method of getting round these blocks.

Revilo on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Buy a cellular card and pay for your own internet access. Assuming you get a decent signal on your cell phone, one of those cards should as well.

travathian on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    travathian wrote: »
    Buy a cellular card and pay for your own internet access. Assuming you get a decent signal on your cell phone, one of those cards should as well.
    Seems silly, since he's surely spending a lot of money living in dorms with provided internet.
    I know at my school you can't get online with your consoles and games, but if you contact the IT deptartment they'll help you set it up. (we have some log in software and you have to work some voodoo)

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well if the uni wont help him, and he purposely circumvents their security measures they can cut off his access, fine him, or potentially have him suspended. More and more university IT groups are taking this shit more seriously, especially if the dorm network is in any way connected to the rest of the campus. Buying a cell card knocks them completely out of the equation. I know a number of students that do this to basically give the uni the bird, and not have to deal with any of that shit.

travathian on