As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The War on Paint: We Put Bears on Art Men

1565758596062»

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The way you imitate reflective metal in paints is through blue gradients and sharp white or black borders.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
  • drama_drama_ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    what kind of lighting do you guys use to paint under? my apartment has no ceiling based lighting, so i have a daylight mimicing bulb on a workstation lamp. i literally sweat when i paint, mofo is hotter than two rats getting busy in a wool sock.

drama_ on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    drama_ wrote: »
    ... mofo is hotter than two rats getting busy in a wool sock.

This is the kind of thing I dream of saying when describing something.

Edit: Guess I should reply as well, I use two 60 watt bulbs...but those low energy spirly kind. In two multi directional lamps attached to either side of my desk. this allows me to rotate the light around to get full coverage or different coverages depending on what I am painting. One of the lamps also has a magnifying lens on it for important stuff.

Anon the Felon on
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay this is probably the dumbest question to you guys, but I hear it mentioned a lot but still don't know what it means.

What does it mean to "wash" a miniature? Like what does it do. Also do you need different washes for every color you use?

Jubeh on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jubeh wrote: »
    Okay this is probably the dumbest question to you guys, but I hear it mentioned a lot but still don't know what it means.

What does it mean to "wash" a miniature? Like what does it do. Also do you need different washes for every color you use?

Well, essentially, a wash is a highly watered down paint that is meant to pour into the recesses of a model. Its generally a colour that's darker than the base colour of what you're trying to give shadowing, or depth, to.

As for different colours... that's hard to say. I used to wash things based on colour, green painted models with green wash, etc. However, lately, I find myself washing most things with just a black and a brown wash, depending on the colour(Black works best on most things, but brown works well with yellows, golds, silvers, etc).

Anyways, use them. Use GW's washes, to be precise. The depth and shadowing they give to a model makes a huge difference, and they are really, really easy to use. I regretted not using them for a long time, once I finally started. Even just giving a non-discriminite badab black wash to a model will pretty much make it better than no wash at all, unless you're an incredible painter who created shadowing and depth by hand... but then, thats a conscious decision by a well informed painter :P

By the way, I didn't know what washing was for a long time either, and was too afraid to ask :P

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited September 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    By the way, I didn't know what washing was for a long time either, and was too afraid to ask :P

Haha yeah this has been biting me in the ass lately in all aspects of my life so now I'm adopting a policy where I just ask and not care if I look retarded.

I'm looking at the citadel washes. Do I need the whole set?

Jubeh on
    edited September 2009
    Jubeh wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »

Haha yeah this has been biting me in the ass lately in all aspects of my life so now I'm adopting a policy where I just ask and not care if I look retarded.

I'm looking at the citadel washes. Do I need the whole set?

Don't worry about looking retarded, its not like you asked "What is this "paint" thing I keep hearing about?" :P

You don't need the whole set by a long run, but if you plan on using all of them(I don't), its a good value. Honestly, I would just pick up three citadel washes: Badab black(Black wash can work for just about everything, though not the best for some), Devlan mud(Again, really good for metals that you maybe want to dull a slight bit, or give a worn look to), and one for the main colour you're painting your army(For example, if you were painting blood angels, you might look at Baal red for a wash). Experiment with these, and if you find yourself wanting to try different techniques, go from there.

Raslin on

edited September 2009
    Thank you for the advice. I will spread tales of your kindness.

Jubeh on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Actually, Baal red is a pretty terrible wash to use for blood angels. One of the tricks to using washes is that in general, using a wash that's the same shade as your primary color is note going to do very much. They're too similar. One of the browns, or even the black tends to work better with shades of red. I use the brown washes to shade green models, like my kroot. The green wash just makes them look very, very green. Another example, I painted the railgun Astronomican grey, and then used an uneven Asurman Blue wash to make it look mottled, like it has current coruscating through there, or something.
    broadside007.jpg

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Using a blue wash on my super silvery GKTs looks pretty damn cool.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited September 2009
    Actually, Baal red is a pretty terrible wash to use for blood angels. One of the tricks to using washes is that in general, using a wash that's the same shade as your primary color is note going to do very much. They're too similar. One of the browns, or even the black tends to work better with shades of red. I use the brown washes to shade green models, like my kroot. The green wash just makes them look very, very green. Another example, I painted the railgun Astronomican grey, and then used an uneven Asurman Blue wash to make it look mottled, like it has current coruscating through there, or something.

Ohh, I agree, and I use black wash on my red guardsmen. Still, sometimes proper color-on-color can work out pretty well. I mainly said that to promote experimentation, as you might prefer the more muted look of color-on-color, or the more drastic look of black-on-everything.

Raslin on

edited September 2009
    Rapidly approaching 100 pages, so I went ahead and put a new thread up. Feel free to suggest additions.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=11731176

Raslin on