As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Threadless submission - Jake's Thread

Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Artist's Corner
I'm putting together a series of illustrations based on photographs from a trip down the west coast of America. Anyway, my original idea was to frame the photographs using the illustrations, like so;

(badly photo shopped, but you hopefully get the idea; the blend to black would be done more subtly, and there'd be no flipping)

Picture1.png

However, for this particular illustration I'm not sure it works, so I was thinking of just framing them together, like so.

Picture3.png

What do you guys think? And what the hell should I put in the smoke frame? The story is that we nearly ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere, Utah.

Jake! on

• Options
    edited July 2009
    So I just went with the slightly unimaginative 'fill the smoke with more smoke' option. Crits welcome.

compa4.jpg

small.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i prefer that you keep the illustration away from the photo, as in your last example. that looks nice and clean and doesn't confuse me. the first one makes me question, "what am i supposed to be looking at?"

mully on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hm, I still don't really understand the point.

Also, the text does not read well. It needs to be bigger or at least "cleaner" or perhaps spaced apart more..

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cheers guys.

Visti: The point is just do some illustrations to go with a set of 6-12 photographs I took on a cycling trip; they'll then be framed and go into an exhibition. If you mean what' the point of the illustration, I'm not entirely sure - this is the first one I've done so far, so I may have to rework it as I get a clearer idea of how the set will work together.

Jake! on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the reason the first one works so poorly is the stark contrast between the photograph and the traditional inked illustration. It just doesn't mix well. I'd like the composition there better if the gas station was larger within the smoke, as well. As it is, your last illustration is the best, and the crits above are valid.

That said, I'm assuming you need to actually use the photo? If not, you could draw the gas sation within the smoke, larger, which I might like better. As opposed to a large photo overtop a drawn illustration. Or maybe even draw the station into the smoke and have the photo above, but be able to draw the comparison.

Just a suggestion, of course. And I know how touchy that kind of contract/commission work can go since usually your sponsor has some clear (if perhaps misguided) view of how the art should look...

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think the photo could be manipulated to work more coherently with the illustration. I actually preferred your first option. we'd have to see the rest of the series to really comment on how decent it is conceptually, because yeah, this isn't something people would necessarily be interested in in an exhibit unless it told a good story all together. by itself, I think it's a cool concept regardless of what you do with it.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think you need to do some brainstorming and come up with a concept before you do the illustration. It seems like you drew a cool looking smoke cloud and then tried to wedge it into a concept you hadn't fully realized. A quick fix would be to just get rid of the speech bubble. The words seem like a punch line without a joke. On the plus side, the illustration is interesting.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thanks all.

NibCrom: My intention was always for the smoke cloud to frame the image. In the past I've drawn straight onto the mount, and I realise now that what I should've done was have the smoke interact with just the bottom edge of the frame. I'd like to give more detail to the story outside the image, to give them detail outside what the camera captured, but I obviously need to rework this to realise that.

For the next three, I'm going to draw the river into the frame below the rope bridge, the seaplane onto the frame of the boat photograph, and the Seattle cityscape onto the frame of the shot of my friend taking a photo.

Picture6.png

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    boat.jpg

waterfall.jpg

two more done, I'm not sure if this concept works at all actually...

Jake! on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why did I think you'd left

I'm losing it entirely

anyway, yeah, it's not working so well, Jake.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tam wrote: »

I'm losing it entirely

I've been cycling in the states for three months.

Jake! on
  • Options
    CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I HAVE AN IDEA

Those nice, swirly lines in the smoke in the first picture and the water in the bottom, most recently-posted image: those are great. If you were to work some design lines in the photos you took, but put them in WHITE so that they cut into the photos, it would tie them in much better.

Right now, those are not working. Sorry.

Charis on
  • Options
    MindsackMindsack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    maybe its just me but i think these would look alot better if the drawings were superimposed on the pictures, cuz right now they just feel like a picture with a drawing beside it.

Mindsack on
    (''''\('-_-')/'''') rawr http://gabrielmolina.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Jake! wrote: »
    Tam wrote: »

I'm losing it entirely

I've been cycling in the states for three months.

have you

how's that been?

Tam on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mindsack wrote: »
    maybe its just me but i think these would look alot better if the drawings were superimposed on the pictures, cuz right now they just feel like a picture with a drawing beside it.

This was the first thing I thought also.

Food on
  • Options
    FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Like other people have said I think you need a bit more interplay between the illustration and photographic elements for this to really come together- I've done up a really rough idea of what I mean from the bridge one as an example, but it's just my take on it- that drawn elements are gorgeous btw.
    ex1.jpg

Floofy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Cheers guys. I've actually found that once printed onto the mount, and with better placement, the images are actually working! Photos of those later.

Also, I'm working on another paper sculpt

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Holy crap. This is definitely your "thing" Jake.

Tam on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy shit, that thing is crazy! Impressive work!

You should make something like this:

http://www.cool4cats.biz/page16.htm

Grenn on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is brilliant.

I must try some papercraft now.

Flay on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    whoaaaaaaa that's really cool.

Food on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    guys i don't know why everyone's just saying "this isn't working" for those illustrations.
    i've seen very similar work done for scrapbooking photographs, and i think it's quite elegant if you set up the compositions right
    the illustrations are not meant to be focal, they're fun little bits on the outside, what you should be paying attention to is the photography.
    the illustrations serve as almost footnotes to the photos and I feel it works fine
    loving the line work on the bridge one

my main crit is that on the one with the water plane, maybe lower the plane down so that it's on level with the photo and crop the extra space
    i like white space as much as the next design enthusiast, but i feel staggering imagery in "steps" distracting.

beavotron on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Totally agree with beavs, the one on the top of the gas station is really well done.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Totally agree with beavs, the one on the top of the gas station is really well done.

yeah it really is, gorgeous line quality, excellent flow, i like it with the big ol' random smoke too, it's interesting.

beavotron on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thinkt he problem is that the photos and the line art don't look great the way he has them framed- the photo needs its own separate frame (or mat atleast) to let the viewer know what is going on in them. That, or the paper should be some color, any color other than white. The photo is so obviously a photo and the illustration is so obviously an illustration that the overall effect you're going for is ruined.

In short, find a way to keep them seperate but obviously pieces of the same work (i think a big frame and a mat with with two holes might be your best bet)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The illustrations are going to all be printed straight onto a matt mount, and the photo's will obviously be glossy. There's a distinction in materials that isn't made obvious by the monitor.

beav: totally agree with you on the plane, it's awfully placed! Oops

(edited for sounding like a dick)

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The illustrations are going to all be printed straight onto a matt mount, and the photo's will obviously be glossy. There's a distinction in materials that isn't made obvious by the monitor.

beav: totally agree with you on the plane, it's awfully placed! Oops

(edited for sounding like a dick)

yeah this sounds to me like it's going to look great

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ps.

tam: I like to think photography is my thing, if I have one :P, but cheers

grenn: October 28th-November 11th, LS6 gallery on hyde park corner for the photos, and Leeds city library in october for the paper sculpt (not entirely sure about the exact dates for that second one).

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

done a bit more work on the flowers and feet today. Just a bit of tidying up and a tree now. Would be finished actually, but the one I made I realised was crap, and too heavy to sit comfortably in the turret.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    jake i love your work man, seriously
    excellent stuff

beavotron on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    your craft is amazing. If I attempted this Id end up with body parts glued to the sculpture.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    cheers guys, I did a little more work on it last night, and I'm now declaring it 'done'.

tank5.jpg

tank6.jpg

tank7.jpg

tank8.jpg

I just need to finish adding the laces, and possibly rearrange the speakers (not sure it makes the finished article too fussy).

Jake! on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awesome-sauce! Keep your thread updated with when it'll be in Leeds Library Gallery and I'll definitely come down for the opening.

Grenn on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh goodness- that's awesome!

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    cheers guys, will do Grenn. I think it'll be there over light night, if you're around for that. Need to check with the opening is!

Also, here's another in my usa cycling illustrated series

forest.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    cheers guys, will do Grenn. I think it'll be there over light night, if you're around for that. Need to check with the opening is!

Also, here's another in my usa cycling illustrated series
    forest.jpg

This is awesome.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd try really bumping up the contrast in the photo, the transfer is too jarring. I really like this idea, but the transition needs to be a lot smoother.

Mustang on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would get rid of that white line between the photo and the drawing

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    I'd try really bumping up the contrast in the photo, the transfer is too jarring. I really like this idea, but the transition needs to be a lot smoother.

I know what you're saying, but I like the feathery look of the photo, and that's something I'm not happy to loose. I might try toning the black down a little instead, although full size the black isn't so overbearing.

Not sure about this next piece. The perspective of the illustration works best with the first photograph, but I think I prefer the second shot.

hatman.jpg

birdman.jpg

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also, as an aside, some fairy lights;

lights.jpg

Jake! on