As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burned Foot- Bacon Grease

VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So while making brunch I just spilled super hot bacon grease on my foot. It's read but not blistered so it doesn't look doctor worthy, however it hurts like fucking crazy. What can I do to make it hurt less?

VisionOfClarity on

• rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Get some sunburn gel stuff with lidocaine in it.
    I used it when I burnt my whole hand with boiling water.

rfalias on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Right now I have it in a bucket of cool water. I know letting it air out is best but damn that sucks. I'll have to send the bf out for some of that gel.

VisionOfClarity on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Red Cross' response

Cool the burn under water
    Loosely wrap in gauze
    Let it heal, don't pop it if it blisters.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited September 2009
    Wrapping it in the gauze is good, I didn't think about that.

VisionOfClarity on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eat it: bacon grease is delicious.

Slider on
    edited September 2009
    Wrapping it in the gauze is good, I didn't think about that.

Basically, protect it. Superficial burns heal very well and you need to let your body do what it does.

Improvolone on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Do you have a medical plan? Most have a members hotline for exactly this kind of situation. A nurse will tell you what to do.

MagicToaster on
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dumped an entire bowl of still boiling bacon grease on my hand a few years back. It was fucking awesome. I completely deep fat fried my hand. It got all crispy and delicious and then the skin all peeled off over the next two or three days. Having no insurance and being young and dumb, I sat at home with my hand in a bowl of water for 2 days to keep it from hurting. It worked out very well, fortunately. No pain as long as my hand was in water and no scars or anything now.

Jimmy King on
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Take some Advil?

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • StormCrow420StormCrow420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wait wait we are overlooking what's important here. Is the bacon okay?

StormCrow420 on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've burned myself with hot liquids so many times (teaching myself all kinds of new and exotic cooking techniques can do that) and in so many places I'm an old pro, as the saying goes, at this.

Cool water for a little while, but not too much. Water strips away your skin's oils which will help with the healing. Just take advil/ibuprofen/whatever works for you, keep it loosely wrapped with gauze to keep it clean, and use the burn gel as needed. It should stop hurting by itself in a day or so (if not, go see a doctor), and should stop hurting when brushed against a couple days after that. In two weeks (maybe three, it's usually two for me) you should have an interesting patch of skin.

Passerbye on
    edited September 2009
    wait wait we are overlooking what's important here. Is the bacon okay?

The bacon was luckily out of the pan already however I couldn't finish cooking brunch so my bf had to do it while I put my foot in a bucket of water.
    Passerbye wrote: »
    and should stop hurting when brushed against a couple days after that.

Oh man I put a damp paper towel on it so I could run to the store to get the gauze and gel and I tried wearing my bf's slippers because they're bigger and looser, but it was still close enough to the burn that I was near tears at the pain.

VisionOfClarity on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »
    and should stop hurting when brushed against a couple days after that.

Oh man I put a damp paper towel on it so I could run to the store to get the gauze and gel and I tried wearing my bf's slippers because they're bigger and looser, but it was still close enough to the burn that I was near tears at the pain.

:( I know, it sucks.

If it's still that bad by tomorrow evening you should see the doctor.

Passerbye on
  • MaLibuMaLibu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That sucks! I usually cook bacon in the oven for that reason. I always burn myself when I cook bacon in a skillet.

MaLibu on
    edited September 2009
    I needed the grease for my sausage gravy so the skillet was the best way to cook it I figured.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited September 2009
    This is exactly the reason why I always cover a skillet whenever I have to pick it up and move it somewhere.

Passerbye on
  • WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You could pick up an Aloe leaf from the grocery store for about a buck - cut off the skin and use the gooey insides to cover the burn area. I do this everytime I burn myself in the kitchen at work - heals up in about a day.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Look at the bright side, at least it's hurting, if you burned yourself and it wasn't hurting then it'd be way worse of a burn :) Last time I got burned I remember the local drugstore selling these burn gel bandage pads that really helped. Mine was on my wrist and it was the middle of winter, so trying to let it air out with my sleeves and jacket rubbing against it was driving me nuts, so I cut one of those pads and medical taped it to the burn for during the day, then removed it when I got hom and could wear short sleeves.

It said on the package that the pads were specifically for burns and it was really nice because they were kind of cool and well...gel-ly so it didn't hurt to put them on or take them off.

Hypatia on
  • KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know, my toaster at home is like that fucking Corn-Holer fryer from Arrested Development. That thing gets ridiculously fucking hot for just some toast, so if course I stuck my finger on it by accident on day. The thing that kept it from blistering/hurting/leaving a mark was keeping it cold the entire time. Like, really, I put some ice packs on my finger because any kind of heat (even room temp) was excruciating. Keeping it cold keeps your finger from cooking itself because it got so hot, and then it numbs the pain (I guess? My finger didn't feel numb, just pain free as long as it was cold). Honestly, if you have it in cold water now, leave it there until your foot doesn't hurt anymore (if that's practical). If you got it into the cold fast enough you probably won't even have a blister.

Killgrimage on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This topic reminds me of The Office episode where Michael burns his foot with bacon.

Incidentally, it's the only episode I seem to catch.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited September 2009
    Wootloops wrote: »
    You could pick up an Aloe leaf from the grocery store for about a buck - cut off the skin and use the gooey insides to cover the burn area. I do this everytime I burn myself in the kitchen at work - heals up in about a day.

I should have noted that things like this will help, but the first aid certification that I have from the Red Cross prevents us from administering any medication (thus it wasn't on that short list of what to do).

Improvolone on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    VoC I recommend you keep an Aloe plant in your house. Not only do they look cool without requiring basically any care they are very handy for situations like these.

Shogun on
    edited September 2009
    You know, my toaster at home is like that fucking Corn-Holer fryer from Arrested Development. That thing gets ridiculously fucking hot for just some toast, so if course I stuck my finger on it by accident on day. The thing that kept it from blistering/hurting/leaving a mark was keeping it cold the entire time. Like, really, I put some ice packs on my finger because any kind of heat (even room temp) was excruciating. Keeping it cold keeps your finger from cooking itself because it got so hot, and then it numbs the pain (I guess? My finger didn't feel numb, just pain free as long as it was cold). Honestly, if you have it in cold water now, leave it there until your foot doesn't hurt anymore (if that's practical). If you got it into the cold fast enough you probably won't even have a blister.

You shouldn't ice a burn for more than like 10 minutes (fuck, I need to check my literature) because it will start to destroy the skin in other ways that prevent it from healing properly.

Improvolone on
    edited September 2009
    So right now I have some Water Jel and gauze on it. There are some of those gell soaked pads in here I'll probably try later.

VisionOfClarity on
  • KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You shouldn't ice a burn for more than like 10 minutes (fuck, I need to check my literature) because it will start to destroy the skin in other ways that prevent it from healing properly.

Maybe my burn wasn't that bad in the first place? Hurt like a mother tho, and I have only the faintest mark that something happened. The grease burn might be a bit worse and I do concede that my advice is anecdotal and I have no medical experience.

Killgrimage on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Never ice a burn for first aid. Never. Cool water is good enough. 5 minutes for every 1 second of exposure is the general rule for contact burns, but scalds can be different.

If you can go to the doctor and get prescribed some silver sulfadiazine, it will help the healing/pain/keep out infections. The stuff is great, but expensive. If not, try OTC burn cream or aloe.

Otherwise, if it blisters, do not pop it.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • StormCrow420StormCrow420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Alright we've established the safety of the delicious bacon. That's good.

We have also determined that our female OP was barefoot and in the kitchen, where she belongs. Another good thing.

A grease burn sucks. I worked in kitchens for years and even a drop on you hand burns for hours. Stay away from heat, apply burn gel or aloe or something, and it should stop hurting before the day is up.

StormCrow420 on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Whatever you do, don't wrap your foot in bubble wrap because people will want to pop it.

Metalbourne on
  • SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I used to burn the shit out of my hands when I worked in a kitchen and a can of Solarcaine was pretty much invaluable around the house

Spherick on
  • elfdudeelfdude Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Preferably in a minor burn putting it in your mouth helps and doesn't make it over sensitive to warmth as bad as icing it does. Obviously wash you foot/hand/etc before you do that though.

elfdude on
    Every man is wise when attacked by a mad dog; fewer when pursued by a mad woman; only the wisest survive when attacked by a mad notion.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If it doesn't start to heal and amputation becomes the only solution, make sure to save some liquor to treat the wound. Don't drink it all.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but you can buy some burn easing cooling spray. This can be bought at any pharmacy and works great, just a cooling/freezing aresol that you mist over your brun. I bought it for my sunburn a while ago but also used it when I burnt my arm on my lamp a couple of weeks ago.

I had quite a bad liquid blister the size of a coin on my arm the next day, so I just kept it covered with a plaster/bandage so it didn't catch on anything and bust, misting it with my aresol spray if it began to itch.

If you can help it, try your best not to pop the blister. Mine bust when I was asleep and became quite itchy for a couple of days, and I still have the burn scar.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Ok, so the Water Jel didn't help when I first tried it so I put my foot back in the bucket for a few hours. About an hour ago I took it out and reapplied the gel and the gauze and now it doesn't hurt unless it's touched. There's a wee little blister and it's a really light red burn now so I think I'm in the clear.

VisionOfClarity on
  • LintillaLintilla Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For future reference: my boyfriend burns himself in the kitchen more than I'd like to admit and one trick I use is to store the burn gel in the fridge. It's right there in the kitchen all the time then, and after you run it under cool water you can squish out some cold gel right away. It works really well for him.

Lintilla on
  • ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If the wound is still burning hot immerse it in cool water for no more than 10 minutes. Use only a dry, sterile dressing. Never use ointments, lotions, or antispetics of any kind if skin is cracked or blistered, do not intentionally break any blisters.
    Granted this is for an emergency response and to help prevent infection and what not. Since you have a relatively minor burn keep if covered with that sterile loose dry dressing for the first day. After that it should be fine to use any ointments meant for burns, just try to keep away from the blistered area. If you blister does pop keep an eye on it. In the unlikely event you notice any odd smell or notice any drainage of course go see the doctor. Some swelling is normal with a burn as well.
    As for pain killers Ibuprofen (motrin) at 800mg is an anti-inflammatory dose and should help with the pain. Just be sure you have dont have an allergy to the stuff before you take it. Take it with food or a glass of milk and no more than 3 times per day at 8 hours apart.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    this same shit happened to me, only i was stoned and thought it was okay to toss an egg in the bacon pan at the same time like on tv. just so you know, it's not.
    i now have several nice circle scars up the inside of my right arm.
    so yeah, neosporin that shit

Local H Jay on
    edited September 2009
    So it's been about 21 hours since the burn. It doesn't hurt at all anymore though the sot where the worst burn was is a bit leathery, it looks like a weird birth mark. There are two small blisters now bu when I ut the WaterJel on this morning touching it didn't even hurt so it looks like this is definitely healing and I'll probably just have a weird mark on my foot.

VisionOfClarity on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So it's been about 21 hours since the burn. It doesn't hurt at all anymore though the sot where the worst burn was is a bit leathery, it looks like a weird birth mark. There are two small blisters now bu when I ut the WaterJel on this morning touching it didn't even hurt so it looks like this is definitely healing and I'll probably just have a weird mark on my foot.

It shouldn't last too long, probably a week or so, before it's fully healed.

I'd suggest picking up a standard first aid kit if you don't have one. Kitchen accidents are one of those inevitability in life, and having some burn spray and gauzz about is always a good idea.

When I worked at a bakery, one of the new kids left a bagel rack (think a large, metal framed shelving unit on wheels that you push in a full sized oven) in the middle of the walkway with the cool, unused racks, I grabbed it to push it out of the way, and naturally it has just come out of the oven. Painful burns ensued. Just first degree thanks to my instincts keeping me from being completely dense. Same thing happened to me, and about a week later my palms were fully healed. The burn spray was a life saver, almost instantly numbing the pain and helping them heal faster.

A guy I knew in highschool was flirting with a girl while working at one of those hot-table japanese restaurants in our mall, he leaned towards her to whisper and pressed his hands palms down on teh table. He had bandage mittens for most of senior year.

Ah, good times.

Enc on
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

More importantly, are you still barefoot in the kitchen?

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    underdonk wrote: »

More importantly, are you still barefoot in the kitchen?

She didn't say it took place in the kitchen. I'm still betting on a george foreman grill at the foot of her bed.

Metalbourne on