As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Johnny Elsewhere's sketch thread

JRobbinsJRobbins Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey, guys. I've been a long-time lurker of these forums, and a long-time reader of PA (obviously).

I'm a comic artist (again, just putting the obvious out there.); it's a goal of mine to have something printed out in actual book format. But, anyway.

Here's a little showing of how my art has evolved within the last three years; starting from the earliest to the latest.

history1.jpg

history2.jpg
(This one is one of my personal favorites.)

history5.gif
(I tried to pay more attention to detail during this revamp of my strip)

history4.gif

As you can see, by the last one (I'm sorry if the size of these strips are a little weird.) I'm trying to break away from that annoying anime trend. I've been solely studying American comic strips, and incorporating the things that I've learned into my own drawing. This last strip is very simple, but as long as I keep taking reference shots, I think I'll be fine.

I personally find the latest incarnation of my comic to be the most exressive (I'm working on a 25 facial expression(s) sheet at the moment.) of all the styles I've tried to adapt to.

Anyway, I'll stop blabbing on and on; if you want to comment and critique, you're more than welcome to!

Making the world a funnier place, one comic and punch-line at a time.

Maybe.
JRobbins on

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The style is a bit interesting, but you seem to be channeling Tim Buckley. If I cut the middle out of every strip and removed the bubbles, you wouldn't know anything was different between most of the panels.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    The style is a bit interesting, but you seem to be channeling Tim Buckley. If I cut the middle out of every strip and removed the bubbles, you wouldn't know anything was different between most of the panels.

The concept of my comics thus far is very .. Greg Dean-ish. I'm trying NOT to do that, considering I want to use this character in an actual story later on. I'm trying to avoid that by taking pictures and trying to incorporate those scenes in each strip. So-- like you said --it's a bit interesting, and it's going to get more interesting as time goes on.

Thanks for the feedback!

JRobbins on

Maybe.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm sorry if double posting is looked down upon, but I finished this last night and wanted some feedback:

jerror002.gif

Thanks.

JRobbins on

Maybe.
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think it's a bit too conceptually derivative. A good derivative joke really builds on its source material, but this just feels like you watched a Pablo Francisco bit and wanted to make an extremely similar comic. The linework is fine, though, I like the perspective in the first panel.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    I think it's a bit too conceptually derivative. A good derivative joke really builds on its source material, but this just feels like you watched a Pablo Francisco bit and wanted to make an extremely similar comic. The linework is fine, though, I like the perspective in the first panel.

Thanks for the feedback; this was the first comic in a long time that I didn't have any script-work written out beforehand.

When I drew Johnny's sketch in the second panel; Pablo's Francisco's bit regarding Don LaFonte popped into my head. I'll be sure to go back and rework it at a later time. I consider that comic to be a place holder of sorts to introduce that cricket character, I think.

JRobbins on

Maybe.