As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Infinity Engine: All Good Things Begin And End With Breach

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Coinage wrote: »
    Ah. Interestingly, I remember reading the explanation of that chart as my interpretation in the manual, although I can't find it now, and I read an FAQ on IWD2 that said the same thing about BG2. Maybe the ToB granted spells unlocked it somehow?
    If I remember correctly, IWD2 goes on 3rd Edition rules, which require you to have 10+spell level in your primary spell casting stat in order to cast spells of that level (so, 11 for first, 12 for second, etc)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Ah. Interestingly, I remember reading the explanation of that chart as my interpretation in the manual, although I can't find it now, and I read an FAQ on IWD2 that said the same thing about BG2. Maybe the ToB granted spells unlocked it somehow?
    If I remember correctly, IWD2 goes on 3rd Edition rules, which require you to have 10+spell level in your primary spell casting stat in order to cast spells of that level (so, 11 for first, 12 for second, etc)

TOB changed the spell table a bit with regards to gaining 9th level spells so that Nalia, Imoen, and lower INT PC wizards could get access to them.

DozingDragon on
  • JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Going to install 2 and Throne of Bhaal soon. I've played the first one a bit, but never beat it. Never been past the first dungeon in part 2 either.

This time I will make it out, and actually play the game. Or so I say now. Any decent advise for a total newbie at this? Any knowledge I gained of how things work from part 1 vanished from my mind long ago.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »

TOB changed the spell table a bit with regards to gaining 9th level spells so that Nalia, Imoen, and lower INT PC wizards could get access to them.
    Ah, that makes sense, but they should have mentioned that in the manual.

Coinage on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jebral wrote: »
    Going to install 2 and Throne of Bhaal soon. I've played the first one a bit, but never beat it. Never been past the first dungeon in part 2 either.

This time I will make it out, and actually play the game. Or so I say now. Any decent advise for a total newbie at this? Any knowledge I gained of how things work from part 1 vanished from my mind long ago.

Cast Haste on your party before every fight you're unsure about.
    Chaos will also be your friend for a good part of the game.
    Protect your spellcasters by having them have Stoneskin up at all times, since it lasts forever.
    Be aware that some monsters are only vulnerable to some kinds of weapons, most notably the Clay Golem, which can only be hurt by blunt weapons of +2 or higher.
    Pick the Circus tent for your first quest. It's next to the dungeon exit for a reason.

Xagarath on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zell wrote: »
    Have you used the config program to set FPS to 60? It will slightly break some cut-scenes (the game was designed for 30 FPS), but everything will be running twice as fast.

Wow. I set it to 45 FPS and the game just got playable and enjoyable.

Just made it out of the first dungeon.

Marty81 on
  • KyligulaKyligula lord of cardboard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hm...fighter/thief with five points in two-handed swords and use all items for Carsomyr?

Mind, I've never actually tried it so I have no idea if its viable or not.

You CAN do that, but as people have said you won't be able to backstab with it. I believe one of the best weapons in the game for sheer damage on a backstab is actually a quarterstaff (!), the Staff of the Ram +6. Staff of Striking isn't shabby either and is available much earlier (SotR is ToB-only).

I've played BG2 to death, it's probably my favourite game of all time ever. This thread, as well as DDO, is really making me want to play it again -- I try to resist, because once I get sucked in by the siren song of win I lose months of my life :D

I've taken pretty much every NPC combo to hear their banters and stuff. My one quibble was that femmes had only Anomen to choose from -- I literally can't think of a single male NPC I'd rather romance less. Including Jan.

When I play these days, I tend to just make my own parties via multiplayer, utilizing item knowledge and MATHZ to satisfy my raging inner munchkin. Soloing/duoing is pretty fun too, although the game can get too easy once you're familiar with various mage stuff. Simulacrum cheese, as well as the infamous Time Stop, Imp. Alacrity and Wish-resting combo aside, one of my favourite methods of early-sorcerer-succcess was Globe of Lesser Invulnerability and Web/Fireball spam.

Kyligula on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kyligula wrote: »

You CAN do that, but as people have said you won't be able to backstab with it. I believe one of the best weapons in the game for sheer damage on a backstab is actually a quarterstaff (!), the Staff of the Ram +6. Staff of Striking isn't shabby either and is available much earlier (SotR is ToB-only).

Oh 2E. We love you because you're silly.

admanb on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is Tutu still the best bet for playing BG1?

I had a lot of fun last time I played BG (PRETTY sure I was using Tutu or something like that) playing a pure Wildmage. Randomly turning everything in a huuuge radius to stone? Yes please.

KiTA on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KiTA wrote: »

I had a lot of fun last time I played BG (PRETTY sure I was using Tutu or something like that) playing a pure Wildmage. Randomly turning everything in a huuuge radius to stone? Yes please.

There's some balance silliness, since some kits aren't really designed for early game survivability. Monks and Kensai, in particular, get whacked hard and often. Also certain weapon classes get split up in BG2 but don't have weapons for those classes in BG1. Case in point, there are no upgraded clubs and only a couple enchanted scimitars, so druids won't be too much help in melee combat.

Still, they're minor issues you can work around if you're careful. Tutu's the best way to go about it as far as I'm concerned, BG2's UI adds too many nice things not to. Been a while since I've tried, but I don't think you could for instance hit tab to highlight items and containers on the ground.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    edited September 2009
    Stolls wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »

There's some balance silliness, since some kits aren't really designed for early game survivability. Monks and Kensai, in particular, get whacked hard and often. Also certain weapon classes get split up in BG2 but don't have weapons for those classes in BG1. Case in point, there are no upgraded clubs and only a couple enchanted scimitars, so druids won't be too much help in melee combat.

Still, they're minor issues you can work around if you're careful. Tutu's the best way to go about it as far as I'm concerned, BG2's UI adds too many nice things not to. Been a while since I've tried, but I don't think you could for instance hit tab to highlight items and containers on the ground.

This link leads to a mod that makes all sorts of changes to BG2, and is completely Tutu compatible, with specific features for Tutu, such as adding more scimitars, katanas, etc. to BG.

DozingDragon on
    edited September 2009
    Some help for a newbie? I'm playing Baldur's gate 2 and while I'm doing alright, certain spell effects are totally fucking me over. Is there an easy way to get protection from charm, stunning effects (stun, hold, etc?), confusion, fear, and anything else I might be forgetting on all my guys? I have a full party and I'm using charm-protection gear on a couple of them, but between that and a resist fear spell that's all I've got at the moment. I'm in chapter 2. Lots of battles involve a bunch of reloading until I can take out enemy mages before they cast any of that stuff :p

If I can breach a mage and bum-rush him, that works well most of the time, but sometimes there are 2 mages and sometimes they cast shadow door, preventing the breach from happening. Speaking of shadow door, is true seeing/true sight the only way around it? I just got access to lv 5 priest spells. I've tried casting detect invisibility but most of the time I still can't target the guy behind the door afterwards.

Marty81 on
  • JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I too am in chapter 2 and getting crushed by the opposition.

So I'll be keeping an eye out for any useful strategy nuggets myself.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Some help for a newbie? I'm playing Baldur's gate 2 and while I'm doing alright, certain spell effects are totally fucking me over. Is there an easy way to get protection from charm, stunning effects (stun, hold, etc?), confusion, fear, and anything else I might be forgetting on all my guys? I have a full party and I'm using charm-protection gear on a couple of them, but between that and a resist fear spell that's all I've got at the moment. I'm in chapter 2. Lots of battles involve a bunch of reloading until I can take out enemy mages before they cast any of that stuff :p

If I can breach a mage and bum-rush him, that works well most of the time, but sometimes there are 2 mages and sometimes they cast shadow door, preventing the breach from happening. Speaking of shadow door, is true seeing/true sight the only way around it? I just got access to lv 5 priest spells. I've tried casting detect invisibility but most of the time I still can't target the guy behind the door afterwards.

mages are almost always going to be your priority targets for this reason

don't neglect all the low level cleric/druid spells that boost your saving throws. You can toss a couple of those on before a big fight and they help a lot.

edit: yeah, there are two levels of invisibility, basic and "superior." Basic is just 'can't see the guy, can once he casts.' The superior effect lets you see the character and attack it in melee, but not cast spells at it, and the only way around that effect is a true sight effect (although depending on their other protections you can still get them with aoe spells.)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

mages are almost always going to be your priority targets for this reason

don't neglect all the low level cleric/druid spells that boost your saving throws. You can toss a couple of those on before a big fight and they help a lot.

edit: yeah, there are two levels of invisibility, basic and "superior." Basic is just 'can't see the guy, can once he casts.' The superior effect lets you see the character and attack it in melee, but not cast spells at it, and the only way around that effect is a true sight effect (although depending on their other protections you can still get them with aoe spells.)

Stinking cloud can be a pretty good low-level equalizer if you have a mage yourself. Anybody that drops is easy pickings for ranged weapons, and it won't cause aggro unless you're in their sight range. Consider using magic missile as a quickie interrupt; has a low cast time, and if it hits it's likely to cause their spell to fizzle out. Figure out who has good saving throws or damage resistances in your party and consider sending them forward as a loss leader to get the mage's attention and minimize the threat of area-effect spells. If you have anybody that uses crossbows, consider picking up bolts of biting, as they have a chance to deliver a nasty poison on contact that should shut 'em up for a while.

If you've a cleric handy, try out some skeletons. They can't be charmed, confused, or knocked unconscious, which actually makes them ideal to send into a stinking cloud. Worst case scenario they're good ways to get an enemy mage to burn their good spells.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    edited September 2009
    My party is me (sorcerer) and Aerie for magic, with Minsc, Valyagar, Mazzie (bow right now), and Yoshimo for physical. I'd kind of like to ditch Yoshimo for some more magical power. I guess I could do that with knock + (priest) detect traps. I've been using magic missile for some disruption and it works well when I can get it in there before the enemy's spell goes off, but most of the time I'm busy (still recovering from casting a previous spell or busy casting something else) when the enemy starts chanting. I've also found skull traps to work well.
    I will have to try stinking cloud.

By the way, how does spellcasting work in the rounds system? Does my sorcerer always have to wait for her next round to start casting a new spell?

Marty81 on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If this is your first time through I would keep Yoshimo.

Um, it's just nice to have a thief around.

langfor6 on
    edited September 2009
    Stick with Yoshimo, trust me it's worth it keeping him around.

Some quick advice regarding resisting status effects: Protection from Fear (2nd level Wizard Spell) lasts for a long time and hits everyone within a decent radius, throwing this spell up before a fight or at the start of it is usually a good idea.

Chant and Bless also give your whole party minor boosts.

Since you have two people capable of sneaking don't underestimate the value of being able to backstab the casters, most will go down in a hit, or near enough to pick them off early.

More on thieves, don't forget that Yoshimo can lay traps and they are very devastating. Lure enemy casters to them, and they will become very gooey.

Haste is also your friend, as well as stoneskin.

If you are really having trouble dealing with enemy casters, look into finding Keldorn, he's an anti-caster paladin. I would suggest dropping either Mazzy or Valygar for him, mostly Valygar because he's got the personality of a coffee mug.
    He's in the northwest of the sewers in the temple district

And Stoll's advice about using summoned Skeletons is very solid, they are immune to those status effects, and sending them in with a vanguard who is sneaking is a quick way to have enemies blow their resources.

DozingDragon on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My party is me (sorcerer) and Aerie for magic, with Minsc, Valyagar, Mazzie (bow right now), and Yoshimo for physical. I'd kind of like to ditch Yoshimo for some more magical power. I guess I could do that with knock + (priest) detect traps. I've been using magic missile for some disruption and it works well when I can get it in there before the enemy's spell goes off, but most of the time I'm busy (still recovering from casting a previous spell or busy casting something else) when the enemy starts chanting. I've also found skull traps to work well.
    I will have to try stinking cloud.

By the way, how does spellcasting work in the rounds system? Does my sorcerer always have to wait for her next round to start casting a new spell?

Jan is the gnome you are looking for. Mage/Thief extraordinaire.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    True Sight is the motherfucking shit. I try to keep a copy on each caster, because there are times if you don't have it, you're literally standing around waiting for somebody's spells to wear off, all the while beating on them ineffectually.

hippofant on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    hippofant wrote: »
    True Sight is the motherfucking shit. I try to keep a copy on each caster, because there are times if you don't have it, you're literally standing around waiting for somebody's spells to wear off, all the while beating on them ineffectually.

remove magic and dispel can work in a pinch. The nice part of remove magic is that if your party members get charmed you can remove that without removing the haste you casted before the fight ( always haste your party 24/7 )

Ethea on
    edited September 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    If this is your first time through I would keep Yoshimo.

Um, it's just nice to have a thief around.

admanb on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Try to get Jan and Yoshimo if you can. They're easily my two favorite characters in all of BG2.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited September 2009
    Ethea wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »

remove magic and dispel can work in a pinch. The nice part of remove magic is that if your party members get charmed you can remove that without removing the haste you casted before the fight ( always haste your party 24/7 )

Oh, that's nice. I do have remove magic. I didn't realize it could cure status ailments like charm (and confusion?).

Marty81 on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just bought Baldur's Gate 2 on Amazon and it should be at my house when I get home today. I'm very excited about playing it.

So, newbie questions:

- Normally on games, I like playing on Hard. But I'm a newb to role playing games. I'm also not really sure what the difficulty levels mean exactly. If the game turns out to be too hard, can I change it mid-game?

- I've heard that there are particular stats I need to focus on when I role my character. I was thinking of making some kind of melee badass (Maybe a Paladin?). Are there any essential stats that I need to worry about?

Anyway, I know pretty much nothing about this game, other than it's one of the best RPGs of all time, and I've never played D&D before. Hopefully it won't be too terrible for a beginner.

Melkster on
    edited September 2009
    Melkster wrote: »
    I just bought Baldur's Gate 2 on Amazon and it should be at my house when I get home today. I'm very excited about playing it.

So, newbie questions:

- Normally on games, I like playing on Hard. But I'm a newb to role playing games. I'm also not really sure what the difficulty levels mean exactly. If the game turns out to be too hard, can I change it mid-game?

You can change the difficulty of the game anytime outside of combat. The game is pretty damn hard even on normal mode, the hardest mode is a real bitch with permanent death, spell scribe failures and enemies doing 200% damage.
    - I've heard that there are particular stats I need to focus on when I role my character. I was thinking of making some kind of melee badass (Maybe a Paladin?). Are there any essential stats that I need to worry about?

Anyway, I know pretty much nothing about this game, other than it's one of the best RPGs of all time, and I've never played D&D before. Hopefully it won't be too terrible for a beginner.

The manual will show what stats are important for each class. There are tricks with min max ( always get high constitution ) but for your first character don't really worry about it.

Ethea on
    edited September 2009
    Ethea wrote: »

So, newbie questions:

You can change the difficulty of the game anytime outside of combat. The game is pretty damn hard even on normal mode, the hardest mode is a real bitch with permanent death, spell scribe failures and enemies doing 200% damage.

The manual will show what stats are important for each class. There are tricks with min max ( always get high constitution ) but for your first character don't really worry about it.

I've heard that Charisma is important, regardless of class, because you get to have more dialogue options. Any truth in that?

Melkster on
    edited September 2009
    It's true, but it's not something you need to worry about, actually. There's a ring you can get as soon as the actual game starts (as soon as you're out of the tutorial dungeon) that ups Charisma to 18, so you can use it as a dump stat.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited September 2009
    BG2 has numerous items that will pump up attributes, primarily STR, DEX, CHA, WIS. The real problem is that item bonuses to constitution does not effect previous HP gain from level up, so it becomes worthless.

Ethea on
  • SinWithSebastianSinWithSebastian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

So, newbie questions:

You can change it any time in the game. And IMO there's no point in playing on anything past "core rules" or whatever they're called, basically medium difficulty, all the harder settings do is to give enemies more HP and so on; if you want an extra challenge install a mod like Tactics (don't do this on your first go, it basically turns the game into a cheese-fest, it's just fun after you've run through the game N times. Ilyich casts Land War in Asia :D)

Strength means you hit harder and I think you get to-hit bonuses; Dexterity is essential for anyone looking to use ranged weapons, and high Dex also gives your armor class a boost. For the fighter classes (fighter paladin ranger) I'd try to max Constitution since they get nice HP boosts; front line hitters should be able to last a few blows. If you want to cheese it you can just lower your Intelligence and Wisdom to three (paladins have high charisma as a default/requirement); some people advise to have an Intelligence score above nine for fighting stat-draining D&D monsters, the Illithid.

This game is pretty easy for beginners. It isn't a linear railroad game for the most (best) parts, so you can choose "harder" paths in the start and have a rougher time, but you can't really frak yourself over even by doing this.

SinWithSebastian on
    edited September 2009
    Don't let your only fighter have low int, it makes mind flayer dungeons an exercise in buying int raising potions. Also don't choose the wizard slayer kit your first time through.

Ethea on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've been borrowing my brother's copy of Baldur's Gate for a long time now, and I'm only a few (and I use that loosely) hours in. I'm currently running around near some mine. I've gotten a few sidequests, but haven't had much chance to go exploring.

At the moment, though, I have a couple of questions which are probably extremely newbish:
    1) I have many scrolls, but I don't see any way to tell which class can use them. That said, I've managed to
    get a few for the druid working.
    2) Is there any sort of time limit? Can I rest as often as I need, or will that hurt things? In Fallout (until a certain point), there was a limit to how long you had to reach that point - far too generous, of course, but still there.
    3) My characters complain if I go too long without sleep; does that effect anything?
    4) What's the easiest way to tell if I'm too low level for a given area? Die?

I do not think I have the manual; it may be in a box. I'm going to dig around for it once I get home tonight.

Tamin on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Paladin is a good starter class, get a high Str/Con/Wis and move on from there

Get some nice armour and a big 2h sword to fuck stuff up with

Robman on
  • KingthlayerKingthlayer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can get the manual here if you don't have a hard copy.

Kingthlayer on
    edited September 2009
    Tamin wrote: »
    I've been borrowing my brother's copy of Baldur's Gate for a long time now, and I'm only a few (and I use that loosely) hours in. I'm currently running around near some mine. I've gotten a few sidequests, but haven't had much chance to go exploring.

At the moment, though, I have a couple of questions which are probably extremely newbish:
    1) I have many scrolls, but I don't see any way to tell which class can use them. That said, I've managed to
    get a few for the druid working.

Most scrolls are mage scrolls. Their main use is to be copied into your mage's spellbook. The rest are cleric/druid (divine) scrolls, and their only use is as a one-use item.
    2) Is there any sort of time limit? Can I rest as often as I need, or will that hurt things? In Fallout (until a certain point), there was a limit to how long you had to reach that point - far too generous, of course, but still there.

No time limit.
    3) My characters complain if I go too long without sleep; does that effect anything?

I think it gives them a penalty to hit or something. Unless they have a debuff icon on their avatar, it is not yet having any effect.
    4) What's the easiest way to tell if I'm too low level for a given area? Die?

Yes.

admanb on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    True sight ios nice but only checks once a TURN so it's not quick at all.

Invisibility purge is nearly instant and is a must have later on since most mages use mislead or superior invisibility you can't hit them with Breach until you dispel their illusions.

Also insect swarm the druid spell is a near total shutdown for human spellcasters early on

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2009
    Robman wrote: »

Nice.

I have this fantasy of being a huge badass, smiting evil, in a giant suit of plate armor with an entirely inappropriately large weapon.

Oh, speaking of:

I remember my (gay) friends talking about how you can start gay romances in some RPGs (I think it was Fable that they were talking about). That sort of thing possible here? Or do I have to be straight?

Melkster on
    edited September 2009

Nice.

I have this fantasy of being a huge badass, smiting evil, in a giant suit of plate armor with an entirely inappropriately large weapon.

Oh, speaking of:

I remember my (gay) friends talking about how you can start gay romances in some RPGs (I think it was Fable that they were talking about). That sort of thing possible here? Or do I have to be straight?
    I think you can trick it or cheat and turn off the gender checks, but otherwise straight ones only.

There are, however, a couple of hilariously bad gay-male romance mods and a plethora of hilariously bad lesbian mods available.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Nice.

Oh, speaking of:

I think you can mod the game such that you can have gay relationships.

But I wouldn't bother with the fan mods.

Robman on
    edited September 2009
    No, you should totally play through the Nathaniel mod if you want a gay relationship. It tries so hard to be serious but it is the worst thing ever, except for the gay Follower mod in Morrowind.

It even has voice acting!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png