As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Chat Thread Discussion

• AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Paint Wars need a rest, the last one died horribly because it was too soon (a few months) after the last one.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I have to agree, that chat threads pre-revamp were complete stupidity.

It was just a little cube of SE++.

I'm glad someone stepped in and set it right. Now maybe it is approachable.

Jasconius on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    The new rules keep most of the trolls in check. Although there should probably not be a rule about complaining or "talking behind the back" of a post or poster, if a new topic bitching about it wouldn't be allowed, a reply to the chat thread wouldn't be either. It would be the normal PM to a mod/admin/etc.

FyreWulff on
  • Nfinit VylenceNfinit Vylence Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Jasconius wrote:

I was at a loss to explain why the Chat Thread was taken away from us a month ago and I'm at a loss to explain how this new "version" is any different.

Nfinit Vylence on
    The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides. -- Carl Sagan

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -- Also Carl Sagan
  • Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2005
    Jasconius wrote:

I was at a loss to explain why the Chat Thread was taken away from us a month ago and I'm at a loss to explain how this new "version" is any different.
    The difference is in this one, you're turning bbcode off because you're afraid of pheezer jailing you.

Dareth Ram on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2005
    The chat threads started sucking (for me at least) around 200 or so. THe community has just changed too much, I'm not coming back to the chat threads. There's just nothing there for me.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    My biggest concern is the "No one is above the law!" clause.

Before this day, and I will not mention any names, moderators have been known to thumb thier nose at the rules as hard if not harder than anyone else.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    My biggest concern is the "No one is above the law!" clause.

Before this day, and I will not mention any names, moderators have been known to thumb thier nose at the rules as hard if not harder than anyone else.
    That was included as a reminder to PM me when you see that happen.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited July 2005
    DarthMat wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:

The difference is in this one, you're turning bbcode off because you're afraid of pheezer jailing you.

Well there is that, yes. Although I likely would have started doing that even without the hiatus.

Nfinit Vylence on
    The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides. -- Carl Sagan

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -- Also Carl Sagan
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    TxdoHawk wrote:
    That's not a relaxing chat thread, that's just the opposite. It's like talking to someone, and there's a guy behind you smacking you in the back of the head when what you say doesn't suit him, and eventually you don't even want to talk anymore

You mean like today when I made a single conversational post in the form of using extra "return" strokes

like this

to convey a certain way of speaking, (deep breaths/ audience waits with baited breath) and was promptly told I was spamming the thread?

Yeah, that sucks something fierce. Especially when people with quote trees several quotes deep post on either side of my post and get no flak. Gosh, how many posts like that have you guys seen here? I'm thinking in the thousands.

Granted I wasn't jailed for it (phew!) and I didnt even bother to contest something so trivial... and ACTUALLY muck up the thread, but there it is . And just like Txdo suggests, I just didnt want to bother talking in there anymore.

I also hear in D&D people have to watch their sexual innuendo now or something? Are climates a-changing?

Deusfaux on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I object to the "no trolling" rule

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • exitexit Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Deusfaux wrote:
    You mean like today when I made a single conversational post in the form of using extra "return" strokes (enter enter enter)
    like this (enter enter enter)
    to convey a certain way of speaking, (deep breaths/ audience waits with baited breath) and was promptly told I was spamming the thread?

Origina post edited for space.
    Maybe I was alone in this, but I didn't get that you meant that as a way for it to be read (if the above post wasn't entirely sarcasm). It seemed like the spaces were there just for the flying hell of it which, yeah, is annoying.

If you weren't kidding about the spaces being used to convey speech pattern, then perhaps there's another way to go about that besides random spaces? There's the random elipses that, while they piss on grammar, many seem to be fond of.

exit on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    exit wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:
    You mean like today when I made a single conversational post in the form of using extra "return" strokes (enter enter enter)
    like this (enter enter enter)

Origina post edited for space.
    Maybe I was alone in this, but I didn't get that you meant that as a way for it to be read (if the above post wasn't entirely sarcasm). It seemed like the spaces were there just for the flying hell of it which, yeah, is annoying.

If you weren't kidding about the spaces being used to convey speech pattern, then perhaps there's another way to go about that besides random spaces? There's the random elipses that, while they piss on grammar, many seem to be fond of.

He wasn't kidding. I use it all the time, Whippy is famous/notorious for it, and I see more people both old and new starting to use it as well. It's hardly a way to post when you're in 100% STRICT SERIOUS BUSINESS mode, but

you know

whatever

I don't understand how it could be considered spamming. :?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    Deusfaux wrote:
    I also hear in D&D people have to watch their sexual innuendo now or something? Are climates a-changing?

nah, we're cool, we just can't do it for ten pages in a row anymore. Which is fair enough, really.

tynic on
  • VirulentVirulent Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I think that no quoting of images should be made into an official rule.

Posting an image is fine, having three people quote it so it shows up on the same page four times is not.

Virulent on
  • omgboomlolomgboomlol __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2005
    The point is that if you want your post to be huge and mostly devoid of content you're telling me you have a lot of nothing worthwhile to say.

Which is, of course, the concept of spam.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
    edited July 2005
    omgboomlol wrote:
    The point is that if you want your post to be huge and mostly devoid of content

That's ridiculous. Spacing for the purposes of conveying a manner of speech does not make a post "mostly devoid of content".
    you're telling me you have a lot of nothing worthwhile to say.

Oh, only people not worth your time would ever post like that. Thanks. Maybe I'll try a zany anime screencap next time.
    Which is, of course, the concept of spam.

Er, no.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    The post didn't have any substance to it. It was 'hey guys, i visited a bar. i'd post pictures but i can't.'

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2005
    Yeah that's pretty worthless. Not because of the way it was posted, though.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    The style in which it was posted didn't help matters.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2005
    I can understand how it can detract from a serious conversation, I don't see how it could have possibly made this worse.

I guess this is getting kinda far off topic.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    So is it now against the rules to make a post like "I'm not wearing any pants. Also it's raining." or is it just that you can't make a post like that in an especially pointless and annoying way, like "I'm (enter enter enter enter enter enter enter) NOT WEARING ANY PA(enter)NTS (enter enter enter enter enter)also it's raining"?

Because I don't think a few sporadic spammy posts are a bad thing in the chat thread. As long as they don't snowball into a huge quote tree of aeolist talking to himself or something like that.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited July 2005
    So is it now against the rules to make a post like "I'm not wearing any pants. Also it's raining." or is it just that you can't make a post like that in an especially pointless and annoying way, like "I'm (enter enter enter enter enter enter enter) NOT WEARING ANY PA(enter)NTS (enter enter enter enter enter)also it's raining"?

Because I don't think a few sporadic spammy posts are a bad thing in the chat thread. As long as they don't snowball into a huge quote tree of aeolist talking to himself or something like that.

The problem is though, that it would be really hard to enforce such a selective rule without incurring all sorts of wrath. It's easier on the mods to just toss down a blanket rule and work with it rather than having to deal with little stuff on a case by case basis.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    DaySleeper wrote:

The problem is though, that it would be really hard to enforce such a selective rule without incurring all sorts of wrath. It's easier on the mods to just toss down a blanket rule and work with it rather than having to deal with little stuff on a case by case basis.
    I just want to get a feeling for what the mods feel is "too much" now.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited July 2005
    The post didn't have any substance to it. It was 'hey guys, i visited a bar. i'd post pictures but i can't.'

So it was chatting.

What exactly do you guys intend us to use the thread for, anyway?

Nfinit Vylence on

• deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2005

So it was chatting.

Certainly not for having fun.

That is what SE++ is for.

deadonthestreet on
  • Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited July 2005

So it was chatting.

That's what this is coming down to: we want our own little slice of SE++ back, but without all the SE++.

Original Rufus on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005

So it was chatting.

That's what this is coming down to: we want our own little slice of SE++ back, but without all the SE++.

Annnnd, you can't have it.

The chat thread is for carrying on conversations. It's not for "maeking poast", if you will. Yes, that can be a pretty grey area. That's why we don't make just anyone a mod, we generally pick people we think have the ability to make reasonable judgement calls, and react in a rational manner when contested.

Try keeping all of that in mind.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    tynic wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:
    nah, we're cool, we just can't do it for ten pages in a row anymore. Which is fair enough, really.
    Dude, we can totally make innuendo for as long as we want. It was the blatant, unsubtle homoeroticism that we can't do for ten pages at a time anymore.

Thanatos on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    Thanatos wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Dude, we can totally make innuendo for as long as we want. It was the blatant, unsubtle homoeroticism that we can't do for ten pages at a time anymore.

I don't think we in D&D have the power any longer to distinguish between innuendo and blatant, unsubtle homoeroticism.

At least, I know I can't.

tynic on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:

So it was chatting.

The chat thread is for carrying on conversations. It's not for "maeking poast", if you will. Yes, that can be a pretty grey area.
    Interestingly, SE++ is labeled as a chat forum.

mrflippy on
    edited July 2005
    mrflippy wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:

So it was chatting.

The chat thread is for carrying on conversations. It's not for "maeking poast", if you will. Yes, that can be a pretty grey area.
    Fine, that's it, I no longer have any faith whatsoever in forumers. I don't know if you're trying to be funny, or if you really don't get it, or what, and I don't even care. Good gravy.

Pheezer on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    So then. If I am to be punished, what will be the duration of my sentence?

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited July 2005
    Talith wrote:
    So then. If I am to be punished, what will be the duration of my sentence?
    Who jailed you? Just curious.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited July 2005
    Talith wrote:
    pheezer FD
    Okay, here's what you do. You pm him. Monkeys Den is not for this sort of thing.

omgboomlol on
    omgboomlolud1.gif
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2005

So it was chatting.

Thank-you NV. Exactly. I told a short story about an event from my day. I'm sure going to a strip bar during work is something that happens to people all the time, and they also sneak in a camera to take shots, and talk to strange old men while they're there.

People could have talked about strippers or times they've gone to a men's club, or bugging off during work to do certain things, or taking candid shots of naked people. The potential topics for chatting are numerous. But sorry, no:

"DEVOID OF CONTENT."

I'm not trying to make this a personal thing, I would have shook my head if someone else was told they were spamming after a similiar post. I really dont care about it, but like... Txdo was saying... who even wants to bother trying?

edit: i've seen several posts in that style, in G&T, in supposed topical threads, just today since this post

Deusfaux on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    mrflippy wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:

So it was chatting.

Fine, that's it, I no longer have any faith whatsoever in forumers. I don't know if you're trying to be funny, or if you really don't get it, or what, and I don't even care. Good gravy.

He has a point though. Why call it a "CHAT" thread if it's not?

The Muffin Man on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Well to be fair it is. We just can't go off on tangents as mcuh and we have to at least make a sort of sense.I imagine the new Chat thread ideal as being like a group of friends hangin together just chillin and chewing the fat. Not just posting reams of random stuff that doesn't really make sense.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2005
    BigDes wrote:
    Well to be fair it is. We just can't go off on tangents as mcuh and we have to at least make a sort of sense.I imagine the new Chat thread ideal as being like a group of friends hangin together just chillin and chewing the fat. Not just posting reams of random stuff that doesn't really make sense.

This is exactly the point and the goal and what's actually happening as a result of all those big mean new rules.

Pheezer on