As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Family: Best new sitcom? Emmy voters think so!

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDu5s309Ouw

Man, this was a surprise. I had been seeing these previews forever and I thought they were okay, amusing at best. Then the show started to get tons of hype, and I decided to check it out. Glad I did. The show is good. Really good. Great cast too. It has Al Bundy!

Kyougu on

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's good to see Ed O'Neil back on primetime TV. I thought he faded away after he starred in a few episodes of a Dragnet remake.

emnmnme on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ed O'Neil means that I will watch this.

Because he is a god.

Buttcleft on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ed O'Neil you say?

This has my interest.

reVerse on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He's a very talented dramatic actor, but Married With Children seems to have really defined him.
    On the other hand it probably made him filthy rich.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is going to be pretty great.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    It's good to see Ed O'Neil back on primetime TV. I thought he faded away after he starred in a few episodes of a Dragnet remake.

The Dragnet remake was fan-fucking-tastic until they ruined it by pushing Ed O'Neil behind a desk and letting "the team" do the legwork.

Taramoor on
  • InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fantastic show.

I loved it.

Sexy latin women always win me over.

InHuman on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Up until yesterday I was under the impression this was a reality show. Does that make me retarded?

I think it's up on Hulu today. I believe that I will watch it.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Up until yesterday I was under the impression this was a reality show. Does that make me retarded?

I read in the paper that it is filmed in "reality style", kind of like The Office. Where it is like a fake documentary or something. So I don't think your impression was completely crazy.

Selner on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This show was pretty good. Like a mashup of Arrested Development and The Office.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He's a very talented dramatic actor, but Married With Children seems to have really defined him.
    On the other hand it probably made him filthy rich.

I been watching reruns of Married with Children and Ed Oneil deserves way more respect for that show that's he's given. His facial expressions alone made the character of Al.

Kyougu on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is good stuff.

Hoz on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

The Dragnet remake was fan-fucking-tastic until they ruined it by pushing Ed O'Neil behind a desk and letting "the team" do the legwork.

Your opinions are the best opinions.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm very surprised this already had a thread.

Also, it did better than expected in the ratings last night, which is very good news.

Hulu link to the pilot.

HadjiQuest on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was fairly ambivalent about it until the end "reveal". It does have potential, though, and cracked up at the father having to "shoot" his son scene.

Tomanta on
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Just finished watching it. Loved it.

I almost choked during the air pistol scene.

Also
    "Lily? Isn't that gonna be be hard for her to say?"

cr0w on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i lost my shit when they revealed the baby

using the Broadway version of Circle of Life clenched it for me

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I came in for Al Bundy and stayed for the family.

Magus` on
  • kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started watching the first episode. What really hooked it for me was the cool Dad.

kfrooster on
    edited September 2009
    why the face?

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The circle of life scene was the greatest thing modern television has ever done.

The greatest.

projectmayhem on
    edited September 2009
    I don't like this handy-cam perspective popping up in all comedies these days. Yes, The Office is popular. But please stop interviewing people and pretending a camera crew is following all the characters. Use a damn tripod before I get motion sickness!

emnmnme on
    edited September 2009
    kfrooster wrote: »
    I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started watching the first episode. What really hooked it for me was the cool Dad.

Wasn't he the ass who owned the yacht in the Dawn of the Dead remake a few years back?

emnmnme on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The circle of life scene was the greatest thing modern television has ever done.

The greatest.
    Yeah, the light turning on at the end made me choke on a grape.

Hoz on
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    kfrooster wrote: »

Wasn't he the ass who owned the yacht in the Dawn of the Dead remake a few years back?

Indeed he was. He's a pretty funny guy.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    ED O MOTHERFUCKIN'EIL?

Sold.

DarkWarrior on
    edited September 2009
    Wait, wait, he doesn't play a guy who can beat the crap out of anyone else? :(

Oh well I'm still gonna give it a try.

DarkWarrior on
    edited September 2009
    Man Ed has aged horribly :(

DarkWarrior on
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Ed O'Neil means that I will watch this.Because he is a god.

This.

Also, Married with Children was the greatest thing ever!

Ticaldfjam on
  • TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, forget Ed O'Neil! Look who he's married to!

mmmmmm.... Sofia Vergara.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blasphemer.

Magus` on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm definitely gonna keep an eye on this series.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited September 2009
    He did age kinda badly, but the dude is so talented, after the first 2 minutes i couldn't notice over my girlish giggles

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The redhead dad is super cute.

The 'cool' dad is painfully awkward and might kill the show for me.

MrMister on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think they're going for a Michael Scott-like dad, but I wasn't digging it too much until the shooting the kid part.

Kyougu on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I think they're going for a Michael Scott-like dad

I think they definitely are.

I just hate Michael-Scott.

MrMister on
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I watched all of ABC's new lineup and was overall pretty let down by it. I wasn't expecting too much but I still feel like something was...missing. I'm not really sure how to explain it, but I just thought the new shows (this one in particular) would be, I dunno...different. Out of the three of them I think Modern Family has the most potential for growth and possible plotlines and I did really enjoy the characters since they felt real to me. I actually like the "mockumentary" style since it offers more versatility then it would have had it been more traditional. The other shows Cougartown and Eastwick were also not what I thought they would be. Cougartown is an absolute shit-fest. Seriously, that show is so unbelievably cliche that I'm suprised it doesn't have a laugh track or group-hug moments. Eastwick however was alot better then what I gathered from the previews. It was a good intro episode and I though I think it also has potential, I can't help but wonder how they're going to keep it fresh. It's almost inevitable that a supernatural themed show will get more and more outlandish the longer it's dragged on, simply because you can write almost anything happening in fantasy or sci-fi shows since you can change the "rules" on the fly to allow for new plot development.

Gigaton on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought the promos for this looked like absolute garbage, but the first episode just got better and better as it went on. A few laugh out loud moments. Will watch again.

BloodySloth on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gigaton wrote: »
    Cougartown is an absolute shit-fest. Seriously, that show is so unbelievably cliche that I'm suprised it doesn't have a laugh track or group-hug moments.

I knew all that just from the title.

Cervetus on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gigaton wrote: »
    I watched all of ABC's new lineup and was overall pretty let down by it. I wasn't expecting too much but I still feel like something was...missing. I'm not really sure how to explain it, but I just thought the new shows (this one in particular) would be, I dunno...different. Out of the three of them I think Modern Family has the most potential for growth and possible plotlines and I did really enjoy the characters since they felt real to me. I actually like the "mockumentary" style since it offers more versatility then it would have had it been more traditional. The other shows Cougartown and Eastwick were also not what I thought they would be. Cougartown is an absolute shit-fest. Seriously, that show is so unbelievably cliche that I'm suprised it doesn't have a laugh track or group-hug moments. Eastwick however was alot better then what I gathered from the previews. It was a good intro episode and I though I think it also has potential, I can't help but wonder how they're going to keep it fresh. It's almost inevitable that a supernatural themed show will get more and more outlandish the longer it's dragged on, simply because you can write almost anything happening in fantasy or sci-fi shows since you can change the "rules" on the fly to allow for new plot development.

The big concern I have with Eastwick and Vampire Diaries is that they're both based on very well known books. You can't really stretch them out too much, or it feels untrue to the characters and like they're spinning their wheels. But if you advance the plot too rapidly you reach the end of the story and then you're fucked.

Cougartown I thought was fine, just kind of blah.

Taramoor on