As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 - Mutant and Symbiote edition

• ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »
    There is not a single bad character in the game
    Try playing through some of the later parts of legendary, when the mobs that knock back can literally kill you before you hit the ground.

Using someone like Iron Man, Iron Fist, or Thing compared to Storm, Jean Grey, or Invisible Woman is a night-and-day difference.

This. Legendary foes hit hard. I like the challenge, but I hate how easily even some of the bricks get slapped around.

Paradiso on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Try playing through some of the later parts of legendary, when the mobs that knock back can literally kill you before you hit the ground.

Using someone like Iron Man, Iron Fist, or Thing compared to Storm, Jean Grey, or Invisible Woman is a night-and-day difference.

I would agree on Iron Man, but Iron Fist is pretty good, and Thing is actually broken. He still kills bosses in 5 hits with his charge attack, even on Legendary.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thawmus wrote: »

I would agree on Iron Man, but Iron Fist is pretty good, and Thing is actually broken. He still kills bosses in 5 hits with his charge attack, even on Legendary.

Is Jean Grey really that good? I tried her for awhile and while her attacks were neat looking, many of them had too much of a delay before they actually fired off and they still weren't as strong as Songbird's attacks.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dashui wrote: »

Is Jean Grey really that good? I tried her for awhile and while her attacks were neat looking, many of them had too much of a delay before they actually fired off and they still weren't as strong as Songbird's attacks.

That's the problem I have with Green Goblin. I'm not doubting his power for one second, because I know he can clear rooms with his pumpkin bombs. But he takes forever to use his powers. When on his glider, however, he's Boss rape.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
    edited September 2009

Jean (and Sue) are crowd control extraordinaire. Jean also gets sick amounts of Teamwork from her Uncanny ability which only make her guided fusions all the more ridiculous.

Paradiso on
    edited September 2009

That's the problem I have with Green Goblin. I'm not doubting his power for one second, because I know he can clear rooms with his pumpkin bombs. But he takes forever to use his powers. When on his glider, however, he's Boss rape.

Green Goblin is still faster than Jean Grey, though. Her Y power has her immobile for several seconds while she charges it up. I thought it would unleash a terrible fury of death, but it didn't. :(

Maybe I just have to level her up further. I have her attacks on the third special dot.

Dashui on
  • jonny_digitaljonny_digital Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I just got to Wakanda, and now none of my abilities are doing any damage (Gambit's 52 card pickup went from 250+ to the teens). What gives? Do enemies have immunities I'm not aware of? Will it be like this for the rest of the game?

jonny_digital on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there only one alternate costume for each character in this game?

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ruins wrote: »
    Is there only one alternate costume for each character in this game?

Yes

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Even on legendary, I never had trouble, especially with those three

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2009
    So I just got to Wakanda, and now none of my abilities are doing any damage (Gambit's 52 card pickup went from 250+ to the teens). What gives? Do enemies have immunities I'm not aware of? Will it be like this for the rest of the game?

are you using mostly energy based attacks?

this never seemed an issue for me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2009

Goblin's really only useful for his bombs, glider, and Y power

I say he is the best in the game because those 3 are super ridiculous

really his poison darts and poison gas aren't anything special

also dang triple post

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    About halfway and enjoying this. The combat and level design feel a lot better than the first, but I can't help but feel like there needs to be more here.

I want more characters, it's almost painful when I meet or see another character but I can't unlock them. The first time I met She Hulk for instance I was all "Fuck yes, I want to unlock she hulk and then 4 costumes and then level up those costumes" I miss all that from the first game. Being able to swap out characters at any time and not worrying about them being gimped is awesome, but I want to swap out to double the characters I have now.

On a more positive note. Wolverine/Iceman Fusion seems to be awesome for all occasions. It nukes normal guys as good as anything and frozen wolverine seems to tear through bosses like they're made of crepe paper.

-SPI- on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I think some boosts are bugged and drop your power damage to nil. This happened to me last week when I equipped Frost Strikes (an Iceman boost). Try swapping them out and see if that fixes it.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I think some boosts are bugged and drop your power damage to nil. This happened to me last week when I equipped Frost Strikes (an Iceman boost). Try swapping them out and see if that fixes it.

I don't think the boosts are bugged. A lot of them show -'s and not +'s. A lot of the sim disc boosts have these.

aBlank on
    edited September 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    About halfway and enjoying this. The combat and level design feel a lot better than the first, but I can't help but feel like there needs to be more here.

I want more characters, it's almost painful when I meet or see another character but I can't unlock them. The first time I met She Hulk for instance I was all "Fuck yes, I want to unlock she hulk and then 4 costumes and then level up those costumes" I miss all that from the first game. Being able to swap out characters at any time and not worrying about them being gimped is awesome, but I want to swap out to double the characters I have now.

On a more positive note. Wolverine/Iceman Fusion seems to be awesome for all occasions. It nukes normal guys as good as anything and frozen wolverine seems to tear through bosses like they're made of crepe paper.

I'd predict that the characters we're seeing in the game that already have voice actors will eventually turn into DLC options. This would seem doubly likely if you end up fighting with/alongside them in a mission. These would be my predictions based solely off what's already in the game:
    She-Hulk
    Justice
    Firestar
    Cable
    Bishop
    Dagger
    Cloak
    Black Panther
    War Machine
    Hercules
    Wonder Man
    Spider-Woman
    Patriot

Paradiso on
    edited September 2009
    aBlank wrote: »

I don't think the boosts are bugged. A lot of them show -'s and not +'s. A lot of the sim disc boosts have these.

Frost Strikes says +5% power damage and +5% hand to hand damage. My power damage was non-existent until I removed it. I should try using it again just to be sure though.

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited September 2009
    I think most of the boosts are a god damn waste of time.

Fixed that for you.

Paradiso on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All I use is Draining III, and the 2 Juggernaut ones.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I use that extra Fusion Star one, that's helpful

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited September 2009
    I get that most of the heroic deed boosts have to be on the low end. You can't predict who a player will pick throughout the game and having them scale only punishes them for playing their favorites early. That's fine. However, a good deal of the ones you find after defeating a hero/villain or scattered throughout the levels are just plain bad. +1 to Focus? Really?

I want to like a lot of them, but I just don't see myself ever scheming a team together that revolves around getting +10% to Cold and Electric damage (sorry, Storm and Iceman) when I have other options that are just plain better. A constant bonus to momentum? Yes, please.

This is exacerbated in Legendary when I dedicate one slot to building for Fusions, one slot for doing damage, and then swapping out the third with either a bonus to resistance or a body depending on the circumstances.

I'm not a min/maxer by trade; I just wish the selection was broader.

Paradiso on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My friends and I did laugh at the +Cold stuff. Really? Who in their right mind would bother with that?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited September 2009
    There is an achievement to hit an enemy 20 times with fire, ice, and electric damage simultaneously. That's the only time I ever used those +element damage boosts.

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there a comprehensive list of characters' heroic deeds anywhere?

Edit: ah, found one...

http://i38.tinypic.com/2mfc13m.jpg

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Is there a comprehensive list of characters' heroic deeds anywhere?

the stats screen?

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm using the +XP one, one that gives % chance for like 20x the # of orbs, and uhhh... I forgot the last one :(

aBlank on
  • mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The only problem I've had in Legendary so far was Titanium Man. Rolling with Deadpool, Hulk, Invisible Woman, and Iron Man. If you can knock bosses down with Hulk's tackle move you can lock them down easily.

mystic_knight on
    edited September 2009
    I'm using the +XP one, one that gives % chance for like 20x the # of orbs, and uhhh... I forgot the last one :(

The 5% chance of 20x orbs is actually really great. I used that, too. 5% doesn't seem like it would fire of a lot, but in my game it was pretty frequent. That definitely helped in powering up my characters.

Dashui on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The 5% chance of 20x orbs is actually really great. I used that, too. 5% doesn't seem like it would fire of a lot, but in my game it was pretty frequent. That definitely helped in powering up my characters.

If you do the math, in the long run it means you get double the orbs. Pretty badass.

Captain K on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Captain K wrote: »

If you do the math, in the long run it means you get double the orbs. Pretty badass.

I just run with gambit and his cajun luck :)

Tommatt on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, I went back to collect the hero artifacts I've missed, unlocking Hulk and Jean (one more item for Thor), and holy shit are they powerful. It's a shame that Hulk's RT > X attack doesn't work on Titanium Man, though, as it worked on Deadpool.

Speaking of which, something amusing I discovered on that mission with Deadpool in my team of four.
    After saving Senator Stan Lee, Deadpool quips something along the lines of:

"I'm just worried that there are two of me here. Hello? Where are the continuity people? :lol:

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2009
    One thing that bothers me is the tracking of heroic deeds. Couldn't they put a checkmark or something instead of just changing the wording? Unless I'm missing something. Whats odd, is the only heroic deed meedal I seem to have is Gambits. Or maybe its just the only one I like so I have it equipped?

Tommatt on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The jerks who wrote those need a fucking vocabulary lesson.

Most of them change when they're done but they use words that can be read either way. "Defeat Bob" turns into "Beat Bob". It seems "Defeated" it too many letters and "Beaten" lacks style or something.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, those Heroic Deed blurbs are awful. I have been learning to read their choice of words to determine which one I have in fact gotten, but my word a checkmark would have been worlds more informative.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2009
    Saw this on a post over at gamefaqs. Trying to find a list of what the various heroic medals do.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/lordfeng/screencap8copy.jpg

LIsts all the heroic deeds needed for each character

Tommatt on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ironsizide wrote: »
    Yeah, those Heroic Deed blurbs are awful. I have been learning to read their choice of words to determine which one I have in fact gotten, but my word a checkmark would have been worlds more informative.

They are tight on space in there but a fucking color change would have done wonders.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Saw this on a post over at gamefaqs. Trying to find a list of what the various heroic medals do.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/lordfeng/screencap8copy.jpg

LIsts all the heroic deeds needed for each character

Cool, thanks for this list.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just finished the main story, end boss kinda meh, but whatever.

And while I still believe that most of the alt costumes are pretty bad, thank god for Eddie Brock Venom. Personally, I just don't like the current design.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

RT + B on Jean Grey (and Invisible Woman) will paralyze every single target anywhere near you (except bosses). Jean also does very good ranged, single-target damage with her telekinetic grab ability. Her RT + Y skill is a button mashing one, if you haven't noticed, and it stuns everything around her while it deals damage and then knocks them all away. And then to cap it all off, she has that ridiculous area knockback ability that inflicts heavy damage, explodes all manner of crap on the screen, and sends mobs careening away from her.

Her guided fusions are just about the best thing for clearing a room, too, with the exception of Thor and Storm's, too (which are the same).

It's certainly arguable who the best character in the game is, but Jean makes the short list there.

s3rial one on
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just finished the main story, end boss kinda meh, but whatever.

And while I still believe that most of the alt costumes are pretty bad, thank god for Eddie Brock Venom. Personally, I just don't like the current design.

So far I've unlocked most of the alt costumes and I've only found maybe three or four that I actually like or like as much as the initial costume.

-Jean Grey's alt costume is probably one of the few (if only) alts that I prefer to use over the original.
    -I like Wolverine's alt since it shows his face and those glorious mutton chops.
    -Luke Cage's alt is decent, if somewhat flamboyant-looking. I kind of prefer it a bit since it looks like a superhero outfit as oppose to his initial outfit.
    -Gambit's looks okay. I just prefer to use the original since I've always liked Gambit's costume design.

Every other alt costume either looks bad or plain ridiculous. I still remember my reaction when I unlocked Iceman's alt for the first time.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png