As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer start up is veeeerrry slooooow

THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny.Real shiny.Registered User regular
I turn on my computer at the same time as my girlfriend and 3 minutes later she is already browsing online while mine sits on the windows welcome screen.

Over time computers become slower, but I would like to free it up some so I don't have to wait forever.

I have AVG and it never repairs anything a.k.a never finds errors or viruses.

I know it's vague and I hate getting car calls like this, but I mean there has got to be something that can be done.. reformatting isn't an option.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
THEPAIN73 on

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    did you try spybot? you can also update drivers in case one is causing this
    of couuurse.. it may also be your hard drive is failing. do you hear strange sounds from it?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have two hard drives on is a 40GB and the other is a 250GB.

The 40 has my windows on it but the 250 has most of the files I run.

Neither one is making any noise.

Spybot I don't think I have, is it freeware?

And where can I update drivers?

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Spybot is free, and may be found here.

Or if you ever google it be damn sure you download Spybot Search and Destroy and not a similarly named program such as Spyboy. Wouldn't mention it except my father-in-law made that mistake....

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Why isn't reformatting an option? Heck, if your files are all on a different hard drive you can even reformat without having to back up first. That's going to be a lot easier than running the 5 different programs it's going to take to clean off years of spyware accumulated on a computer that's never been scanned by anything other than AVG.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When was the last time you've defragmented? That will help somewhat, as will uninstalling all the programs you don't use and cleaning your registry. But sooner or later, you're going to need to reformat, and if you have Windows on a separate drive it looks like you're in a good position to do so.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Run CCleaner on system and registries, run defrag, run Spybot and Malwarebytes with current definitions, run MSCONFIG to disable all unnecessary startup programs, run CCleaner on system and registries again. In that order. That is all you can do short of a reformat.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    JPSJPS Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Everyone always seems to miss the obvious things and go straight to obscure or drastic measures first.

Run a chkdsk /r

JPS on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    JPS wrote: »
    Everyone always seems to miss the obvious things and go straight to obscure or drastic measures first.

Run a chkdsk /r

yes, this

the advice people give in these threads is the equivalent to "your car is making a funny noise? Better get some jacks and pull the transmission then"

Azio on
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Maybe it is time for a new computer?

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you want your computer to run speedy you really need to reformat. It's by far the easiest way to speed things up.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The reason I can't reformat is due to not having a Windows XP disc and I am not sure if my computer can handle Windows 7.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Step 1: Once you get booted, run msconfig. Go to services, check "hide all MS services". Go through the list of whats left. 9 times out of 10 you can uncheck all of them and not see any issues. (unchecking these does set them to "disabled" so if you do actually need any of them, go to services.msc and set them to "manual") Go to the next tab which is start up programs. Uncheck all. If you're all paranoid and can't live without antivirus or really like messenger auto starting, then re-check those, but most everything in here is useless. (Unless you can't stand waiting an extra 2.5 seconds waiting for acrobat to open, or need a status on you printer ink STAT). Hit save, say yes, let it reboot.

Step 2: when it comes back up, defrag a few times, run chkdsk /F (on c: )and reboot.
    Step 3: Once back up, get ccleaner and run that until no more registry issues are found.

By now, you should be as fast as it's going to get without format/reinstall.

You will also want to repeat step 2 for d: (the 250GB drive), but you'll want to start that overnight as both defrag and chkdsk will take a hojillion years.

Quantux on
    PSN/Steam - Quantux

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How old is the 40GB drive? It could just be dying. If you've done all the tips here and the speed increase lasts for a short time, just install windows on your 250GB drive and keep that defragmented. I have had a few drives older then 7 years eventually just take forever loading anything and then eventually malfunction.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575