As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DDO] D&D Online now free to play!

1202122232426»

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So myself and two friends are going to try this out tomorrow. Just a couple questions, as I know nothing about this game past the intro dungeon:

1. Will three players (probably a Paladin, Rogue, and Cleric) be able to do most dungeons?
    2. In fact, when do player driven dungeons start becoming available?
    3. Is a 12 Strength, 16 Wisdom gonna cut it for a Cleric? Alternatively, would any other classes fit the Paladin and Rogue better for group content?

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Downloading.

Inx on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    GENTLEMEN

We need to run an experiment, unless someone knows this is true. I think I found out what alignment affects when you make a character. What armor looks like on them. That is to say, full plate armor will look different on someone who is lawful good than what it looks like on someone who is chaotic good.

Is this true? Sounds like a good experiment to try out.

Really? I don't think so... there's a bunch of plate mail models out there, and I think the model you get is just decided at random when the armor is generated. Same with weapons. I have a longsword that looks like a bizarre chinese straight blade with a hole in the guard, another that looks like a katana, and a third that looks like a broadsword. Meanwhile I've found 4 suits of +3 full plate, and each one has looked different. Also the same with shields.

I mean, try it out, but I really think the armor is just how it's generated.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So myself and two friends are going to try this out tomorrow. Just a couple questions, as I know nothing about this game past the intro dungeon:

1. Will three players (probably a Paladin, Rogue, and Cleric) be able to do most dungeons?
    2. In fact, when do player driven dungeons start becoming available?
    3. Is a 12 Strength, 16 Wisdom gonna cut it for a Cleric? Alternatively, would any other classes fit the Paladin and Rogue better for group content?

1. That is a fine group, and fits the traditional trifecta perfectly.
    3. 12 Str, 16 Wis is fine for starting. 12 dex is important to get that extra 1AC. Con around 14ish is good, but a lot of this depends on whether you want to be decent at turning undead. That'll push your priorities around. Also, Cleric is fine for that group. You have the advantage of healing when the group needs, and doling out shitloads of damage when the group is in god shape (or to clean up the leftovers, or just because life needs more flamestrikes).

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really do think it's alignment based. Your ethics alignment (lawful stuff) affects either the color palette or the extra models that show up as you gain +'s to the armor, and the morality (good / neutral) affects the other.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I noticed that when I made a human female cleric and got the starting armor, she had a big ass because of it. But then I made a human female fighter/barb and her starting armor made her breasts look bigger, but her ass was smaller compared to the cleric. Makes you wonder.

Will I ever get armor that will both make her ass and her breasts larger?

JJ on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    JJ, it's not their assets getting larger, it's that it takes more material to cover / protect them. I'm sorry dawg.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know what I saw! I know they don't have a inch thick covering of chainmail just over those specific areas.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well look, when you're a cleric you need someone to watch your ass. When you're a fighter, you're on the front line and need to prevent groping.

Edit - We'll end this thread on this note. New thread is here!

Henroid on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really do think it's alignment based. Your ethics alignment (lawful stuff) affects either the color palette or the extra models that show up as you gain +'s to the armor, and the morality (good / neutral) affects the other.

I've been playing since '06 and i can tell you now its randomly generated, it has nothing to do at all with alignment. Alignment does on the other hand, effect what kind of weapons and armour you can use later on in the game, if you are chaotic you get negative levels for using lawful aligned items ect, and the other way around. Armour does not change looks on a different person because their alignment is different. If i gave my armour to a dude who had a different alignment, but was the same race as me, he'd look the same as i did in it alignment differences or not.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there some magical incantation one must murmur to make an account? I put in my info, the game went "Thank you! There was an error with your submission! Random hexadecimal number of zero use!" and then whenever I try to restart the submission it just tosses me straight into the error part.

Glal on
  • Options
    DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Is there some magical incantation one must murmur to make an account? I put in my info, the game went "Thank you! There was an error with your submission! Random hexadecimal number of zero use!" and then whenever I try to restart the submission it just tosses me straight into the error part.

You should contact the sit for help. Maybe e-mail a tech guy?

Doctorstrongbad on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey guys,

I'm a former WoW'er and like to dip my toes into an MMO every now and again. Since this is free, it's tickling my interest. What's a good class to get started with, since my favs in WoW were, Druid, Hunter and Shaman?

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Made Shroudfoot, Halfling Ranger.

is it just me, or is ranged combat kinda shitty in this?

Inx on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm a former WoW'er and like to dip my toes into an MMO every now and again. Since this is free, it's tickling my interest. What's a good class to get started with, since my favs in WoW were, Druid, Hunter and Shaman?

Well, its D&D. It doesn't play exactly like the table top. but thats what the classes are like. Pretty sure you can multiclass some, too.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well look, when you're a cleric you need someone to watch your ass. When you're a fighter, you're on the front line and need to prevent groping.

Edit - We'll end this thread on this note. New thread is here!

D:

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.