As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quick IDE question

Roland of GileadRoland of Gilead Registered User regular
So I just bought a new motherboard and It only came with one IDE slot for the hard drive. My DVD-Rom is also IDE. I've already got 2 hard drives on the one IDE slot so I can't chain the cd-rom to the HD. This board also has a FDD slot on it. Can I plug the CD-Rom into that?

Thanks

Barneysig.jpg
Roland of Gilead on

• shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can't you just use SATA for your hard drives?

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Probably old HDs that still work that he wants to use. But no you cannot use that, thats for floppys (and is physically a different size.)

There are IDE to Sata connectors and vice versa, but with the cheap prices of HDs (got an external 1TB for $90 shipped) its almost cost effective to buy a new HD.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Roland of GileadRoland of Gilead Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It would be easier for me to buy a new SATA dvd-rom drive than a new HD. I have one of the IDE to SATA converters from Fry's but it's not working. The Drive isn't showing up in BIOS.

Roland of Gilead on
    Barneysig.jpg
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It would be easier for me to buy a new SATA dvd-rom drive than a new HD. I have one of the IDE to SATA converters from Fry's but it's not working. The Drive isn't showing up in BIOS.

^^^ Yes. SATA DVD burners are about $25-$30 these days.

logic7 on
  • mrbernzmrbernz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Did you check the jumper settings on the drive? Try putting it to master, cable select or removing it completely.

mrbernz on
  • JPSJPS Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Some new mobos have problems booting into an OS from drives connected to that legacy IDE port, fyi.

And by some, I mean a lot.

What mobo do you have?

JPS on