As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2009: Director's Cut

15678911»

• ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A group discount would be sweet, provided it's cheaper than the AAA discount.

The car/train idea is pretty far fetched. Plus, as others have mentioned, it's nice having a "regular" train to retreat to when the PAX Train madness is too much. I make a point of not sleeping every year on the PAX Train, because I don't want to miss any of it, but not everyone is as hardcore as I am. ;)

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • TorgenTorgen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Having our own train cars separate from the regular Amtrak cars (but still dragged by the same locomotive) doesn't mean people wouldn't be able to sleep, as long as we agree that being loud in the sleeper cars constitutes being a dick. (And by separate I mean no crossover between the two.)

Torgen on
  • SpaceGhost2KSpaceGhost2K Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We just need to contact Dan Ackroyd and ask him to let us use his personal railcar.

I mean come on, dream a little. :D

He's on my 5, brb.

SpaceGhost2K on
    edited September 2009
    I talked to the LARail charter guy. He basically confirmed the $60k number as a ballpark figure, which would give us sleeper space for 42--10 double bedrooms, 6 double roomettes, and 10 single roomettes. (Anyone we pick up in Klamath Falls or later wouldn't need sleeper space for the train trip, so they wouldn't count against the 40.) We'd have our own obs/lounge car with space for Rock Band and plenty of tabletop with no curfew. All meals would be included, and unlike the Amtrak dining car we'd have a lot of leeway for picking our own menu. I didn't confirm BYOB being OK, but if it's a private car then it's not public drunkenness anymore. (DBAD still applies.) There would be showers on the train. And, which I think is key for this not being totally ridiculous, we would probably be able to sleep on the train while it's parked in Seattle, meaning the price includes your hotel for the con, assuming you don't mind a week in bunk beds. (I say probably because at most Amtrak stations it's possible, but the guy hasn't done the legwork to confirm that it will be possible in Seattle.) So, uh, $1500 a person... anyone interested?

Torgen on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Torgen wrote: »
    I talked to the LARail charter guy. He basically confirmed the $60k number as a ballpark figure, which would give us sleeper space for 42--10 double bedrooms, 6 double roomettes, and 10 single roomettes. (Anyone we pick up in Klamath Falls or later wouldn't need sleeper space for the train trip, so they wouldn't count against the 40.) We'd have our own obs/lounge car with space for Rock Band and plenty of tabletop with no curfew. All meals would be included, and unlike the Amtrak dining car we'd have a lot of leeway for picking our own menu. I didn't confirm BYOB being OK, but if it's a private car then it's not public drunkenness anymore. (DBAD still applies.) There would be showers on the train. And, which I think is key for this not being totally ridiculous, we would probably be able to sleep on the train while it's parked in Seattle, meaning the price includes your hotel for the con, assuming you don't mind a week in bunk beds. (I say probably because at most Amtrak stations it's possible, but the guy hasn't done the legwork to confirm that it will be possible in Seattle.) So, uh, $1500 a person... anyone interested?

Nope. :)

I mean, it sounds awesome and everything, but $1500 is literally ten times what I spend on hotel for the entire weekend. I can train up, stay, and fly back for like $350. $1500 is double what I spent on PAX this year.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, uh, $1500 a person... anyone interested?

More impractical crazy than drooling and arguing with the furniture crazy, which is a marked improvement on my plan.

It does have a certain appeal, however. Which is why i have had to resort to numbered paragaphs (see below)
    1. Simply too much money. at $700 if it includes food and accommodation at the con is reasonably comparable to my expenditure, but i would think that i'm in the minority
    2. Only a subset of potential traingoers would be able/find it prudent to come, and the best part of the trip was all the people. The tail end of the return trip can attest to that, with CONSARS, Hangovers and People getting off the train making '20 Questions' and 'who can hack up the most phelgm' seem like quite the games.
    3. Staying in the train, we'd be a LONG way from the rest of the action. Smerky needs his action.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "Knoife"

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited September 2009
    If we tripled attendance on the PAX train, we're down to $500 per person.

:D

SpaceGhost2K on
    edited September 2009

Only if we can fit 3 people in a bunk.

Torgen on
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    "Knoife"

Chaz can get bent. Benter. Bentest.

Rephrase: I am currently in Vancouver. I can murder you without... one of... those... things... and make it look like an accident. I shall remote stab you with my mighty brain meats, and all you can do is scream in grisly girly torment most horrid.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
    edited September 2009
    :(

Just making sure the ol' con-cold didn't mind-wipe you.

Arikado on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Just because I'm intrigued more than would ever consider it-
    Does that price include the cost of hooking up to Amtrak and using their engines for transport?
    Does it include track overlay on UP's rails in Seattle?
    Does it include any staff for the cooking, cleanup etc?
    Does it include the liability insurance we would need?

I'm not being a devil's advocate, just interested because I think that the ancillary costs might run that 60k number up considerably. There's got to be some reason Amtrak is always running near or at a loss.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited September 2009
    nemaihne wrote: »

Does that price include the cost of hooking up to Amtrak and using their engines for transport?

I'm not being a devil's advocate, just interested because I think that the ancillary costs might run that 60k number up considerably. There's got to be some reason Amtrak is always running near or at a loss.

I'm pretty sure that's all in. The cost of hooking 3 cars up to Amtrak on a single request for 1377 miles (the length of the Coast Starlight according to Amtrak's pamphlet) each way plus 4 nights' parking is about $15k. The guy didn't give me a breakdown of what the other $45k does (and he's not obligated to), but they have to pay for parking at LA Union while the cars aren't on the tracks, plus maintenance and annual certification, and I'm pretty sure there's economies of scale that we don't get to take advantage of because train charters just aren't that popular.

Torgen on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nemaihne wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that's all in. The cost of hooking 3 cars up to Amtrak on a single request for 1377 miles (the length of the Coast Starlight according to Amtrak's pamphlet) each way plus 4 nights' parking is about $15k. The guy didn't give me a breakdown of what the other $45k does (and he's not obligated to), but they have to pay for parking at LA Union while the cars aren't on the tracks, plus maintenance and annual certification, and I'm pretty sure there's economies of scale that we don't get to take advantage of because train charters just aren't that popular.

I'm really sad that distance is 1377 miles and not 1337 miles.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

3 nerds together on a bunk across the country...:shock:

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
    edited September 2009

NERDINES!

I want a shirt.

SpaceGhost2K on
    edited September 2009

NERDINES!

I want a shirt.

Oh HELLZ yeah - that has the makings of greatness, right there...

Kwisatz Haderach on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

NERDINES!

I want a shirt.

Shirts? This doesn't sound fun anymore.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited September 2009

NERDINES!

I want a shirt.

Shirts? This doesn't sound fun anymore.

Fine, we'll make thong underwear instead. And all wear them. In bed. Together.

Kwisatz Haderach on
  • EugalEugal United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Still waiting on some of those Train Twister videos

Eugal on
  • MichelleKenobiMichelleKenobi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    s73v3r wrote: »

Hey! That's me, in the green, with the ass in the air!

Yay! I'm on teh intarwebs!

Hehe. Well I guess we've sort of met then. Well, at least I have met your ass.

MichelleKenobi on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    Michelle Osorio, Writer and Director of
    Boomer's Day Off - a Left 4 Dead web series

64t.jpg

Kill9 StudiosMy Filmmaker PortfolioBlogTwitterMy YouTube Kill9's YouTube
  • MichelleKenobiMichelleKenobi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was really sick too and didn't end up taking the L.A. to San Diego train because I was too sick. My bf had to come pick me up in Los Angeles. Sorry I didn't get to say bye to some of you. Tek, it was nice to meet you and thanks for the shirt. :)

MichelleKenobi on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    Michelle Osorio, Writer and Director of
    Boomer's Day Off - a Left 4 Dead web series

64t.jpg

Kill9 StudiosMy Filmmaker PortfolioBlogTwitterMy YouTube Kill9's YouTube
  • crazyeyezkillacrazyeyezkilla Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Scoota wrote: »
    Sorry if this was answered already, but how exactly were we going to get from the train station to the hotels near PAX?

What was the address of the actual train station in Seattle we're getting off at? I've got like 10 busses that go next to my hotel, I could probably just hop on one of those...

Get away from the crowd and grab the first cab that pulls up.

crazyeyezkilla on
    edited September 2009
    No Train Twister yet :(

Eugal on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scoota wrote: »
    Sorry if this was answered already, but how exactly were we going to get from the train station to the hotels near PAX?

What was the address of the actual train station in Seattle we're getting off at? I've got like 10 busses that go next to my hotel, I could probably just hop on one of those...

Get away from the crowd and grab the first cab that pulls up.

All the cool kids followed George on his Death March, since he was still the Kommissar in our hearts.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eugal wrote: »

i'm sorry about that. . .. i've been incredibly busy with other things that keep popping up . . . stupid fucking god damed life . . .always getting in the way of what i want to do. I will try to get on that as soon as i can

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
    edited September 2009

i'm sorry about that. . .. i've been incredibly busy with other things that keep popping up . . . stupid fucking god damed life . . .always getting in the way of what i want to do. I will try to get on that as soon as i can

Don't worry about it man. Just hope i can see it soon(ish) at some point. I need some PAX train footage to help me relive the trip, haha.

Eugal on
  • YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Don't worry about it man. Just hope i can see it soon(ish) at some point. I need some PAX train footage to help me relive the trip, haha.

A PAXer posted their phone camera footage, if you're so desperate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X75hpvkYsVs

Yamara on
    We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
    edited October 2009
    :|

:|

Eugal on
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    you'll be happy to know that at this very moment i'm encoding a train twister video. and hopefully there will be one or two more train twister vids soon after that

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's moments like these that make me regret being born in Canada...:cry:

Pablo the Penguin on
    edited October 2009
    my first train twister video is now up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_dgQ3xHXbI

i intend to do at least one more so ... look out for that one soon.

and then at some point i'll get around to editing my other pax footage

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    edited October 2009
    haha awesome

Arikado on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Video needs more Paul and Storm.

http://www.paulandstorm.com/lyrics/twister/

SlickShughes on
    edited November 2009
    oooh train twister. How much fun you were, and my elbow hurt for a good few hours after it to.

Eugal on
This discussion has been closed.