As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Difference in Handheld Gaming Machines

precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So the last time I owned a handheld video game machine, it was the original brick Gameboy.

I figured it was time to get back into some handheld gaming goodness since I am going on vacation and need something to tide me over on the flight.

Issue is I have no idea what to choose, PSP or DS?

I guess I am looking for some opinion on what may be the better buy along with some must have games for either system.

Personally, I am a strategy man when it comes to games. Fallout 3, Blood Bowl and Champions online were my latest three acquisitions PC wise if it helps with recommendations.

precisionk on

• ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Disgaea and FF Tactics are both on the PSP. I'm sure there are other tactics games as well. It's got pretty graphics.

The DS has a lot of fun games like Mario and Luigi and Scribblenauts. It's pretty ok graphically, but not great.

Just depends on what floats your boat. Go to GS's website and look through the games list in your desired genres and see what makes you drool more.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also, the PSP is great for watching movies. You just have to figure out a way to get them in a format the PSP will play.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can play your PSP on your Progressive Scan TV as well. Also use it to play MP3s.

That said DS is just amazingly fun with some games using the stylus.... but i'd have to say I use my PSP more.

Al_wat on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love my DS.. you like strategy titles, so either system would probably be great for you. Disgaea is available either way. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 1 & 2 are on GBA and DS, while the original FFT is available on the PSP. If it's just strategy you're into, either system will serve you well.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you're into really hardcore strategy, you aren't going to find anything great on either system. Blood Bowl has more depth than any console or handheld strategy game I've played.

Having said that, I've put 75 hours into FFTA2. The DS is what I pull out when I don't really feel like turning my brain on, and it's excellent for it.

admanb on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They both have pretty good libraries, but the DS wins for sheer number of good games. There are 5x as many good games on the DS as there are on the PSP, but the good games on the PSP are as good or better than the best the DS has to offer.

At this point it comes down to the library. Look at the games you want to play, or the type of games you want to play, and see which system wins.

There are a few other things in there, like seondary features and battery life. PSP wins features, DS wins battery life.

But really, it's all about the games.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Advance Wars series, Luminous Arc and its sequel, FFTactics A2, and Disgaea make the DS a must-own for strategy fans.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you got the means, you can run ps1 games on the psp. And homebrew, emulators, custom mp3 players, etc. That's what kinda did it for me.

So much shit you can do. I...uh...actually used the wifi on the psp to connect to my wireless router, got a winamp plugin that allowed winamp to act as a server, then used my psp to control winamp on my computer...see, the computer is hooked to a stereo/speakers in both the bedroom and living room. I could be in the bedroom and change my music.

...well, I thought it was cool.

b0bd0d on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Advance Wars series, Luminous Arc and its sequel, FFTactics A2, and Disgaea make the DS a must-own for strategy fans.

was gonna say, PSP gets beat out by the DS if this is your deal breaker
    the PSP is nice, but i have easily 3x as many games for my DS

Local H Jay on
  • TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    If you're into really hardcore strategy, you aren't going to find anything great on either system. Blood Bowl has more depth than any console or handheld strategy game I've played.

I concur with this unfortunately. Advance wars is what I would probably rate the highest, but the pc has about loads of strategy titles that I enjoyed more than anything on a handheld (which is such a shame).

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• GiraGira Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Monster Hunter.

Gira on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gira wrote: »
    Monster Hunter.

if you love playing a dumbed down MMO by yourself, Monster Hunter is great. Me? I thought it was boring as hell. It had no purpose at all and they stripped out the online component which is what made the original MH on PS2 a fun game, without it its just not fun at all. I know somone is going to say "But you can do blah blah blah to play it online!" and that's true, but it takes a lot of effort to do and a special router dongle and program and its a hassle.

Also PSP is a fun system to a point, i personally enjoy my DS a lot more, i just simply own more games on it and enjoy far more stuff that the DS has to offer. The DS has tons of great strategy and RPG titles, it's pretty much the only place you can still get that old-school RPG feel that (At least i.) missed a lot. It also has Zelda on it, as well as the excelly Final Fantasy remakes. A lot of the stylus centric games like Trauma Center are also increadibly fun to play.

The PSP has better graphics, somewhere in between the PS1 and PS2, leaning more toward the PS2 side in quality. Overall production value is often higher on this system because the hardware is better. It does have some fun games, like the Killzone one, a few MGS Strategy style games that i enjoyed. Overall i just found that its library did not have nearly as much to offer, despite the fact that it is a great system hardware wise, it just isn't as fun. I actually ended up selling my PSP recently because i just wasn't using it anymore and was not buying games on it any longer.

That is my opinion on having owned both systems for years.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    yeah, if your not japanese and 15 monster hunter probably won't give you a boner

Local H Jay on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

was gonna say, PSP gets beat out by the DS if this is your deal breaker
    the PSP is nice, but i have easily 3x as many games for my DS

I think I have more DS games than any other system and I've been buying systems since the NES.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know you typed strategy games, but if you don't like New Super Mario Bros, then you don't like video games.

MushroomStick on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    By the way, what are the really good must-play PSP games? I have one that is very under used. Besides Patapon and God of War, I haven't really played much on it.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    @Runn1ngman:

Hrm, Dissidia is deep like the ocean, and in spite of being composed entirely of Final Fantasy fan service, it's based on a pretty solid gameplay system.

In contrast to other postings here, i don't think you have to be either 15, or Japanese to enjoy Monster Hunter. It's most definitely a game of skill, and ability to read your opponents (the monsters), and requires learning of strategies and preparation. The singleplayer is definitely engaging and fun; if you don't have others to play alongside, there's plenty of content that you can go through.

Killzone liberation has already been mentioned, and is great- again it's difficult, though, and Ace Combat X is pretty good too.

DusT_HounD on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    iPhone or iPod Touch

I mean, Civ Revolution, SimCity (like, proper simcity), UniWar, Galcon, Strongholds, Vikings, Mecho Wars, Orions, Reign of Swords, Lemonade Tychoon, The Sims 3, Sally's Spa...

Oh and Ace Combat is coming to the iPhone since it was mentioned.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I'd recommend the DS, particularly a Lite. I have a DSi and love it but a Lite is just fine and really cheap and can play the huge back library of GBA games. You can get tons of awesome stuff for $5 used, GnT will have lots of recommendations both GBA and DS. The DS is not graphically amazing, though I have been impressed fairly often, and it has a large and varied selection of games, well worth it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    yeah, if your not japanese and 15 monster hunter probably won't give you a boner
    I'm 30 and Korean. Monster Hunter is still an excellent and challenging game. A lot of Japanophiles may like it, but it has genuine depth in terms of gameplay and hardcore challenge. In Monster Hunter, your character doesn't level up, you do. You don't play Monster Hunter because it's easy (because it definitely is not). Monster Hunter is an exclusive to the PSP (as far as portable systems), though, and something you'll want to play with friends. It is most certainly not a dumbed-down MMO. But it's definitely not for everyone.

If you want something lighter than Monster Hunter with similar gameplay, Phantasy Star Portable on PSP and Phantasy Star Zero on DS (is this out yet?) may be your cup of tea.

Even with Monster Hunter aside, I've spent more time playing my PSP than my DS, but both systems have great games. PSP has more modern style games (like Soul Calibur and Tekken) while the DS has more nostalgic and quirky games (like Metroidvanias and Mario games), though both systems have standout games that really push the capabilities of their respective systems (like Mario Kart DS and Monster Hunter on PSP). Currently, I'm enjoying Scribblenauts on my DS and Dissidia on my PSP. There's no reason why you can't enjoy both, especially with the older systems being so cheap. For a cost of a DSi or an upcoming PSPGo or a current PSP-3000, you can get both a DS Lite (or phat) and a PSP-1000/2000 series used at any gamestop.

My solution is just to get both. Start up a gaming backlog. Stop playing Halo and CoD4 and WoW and all of those other timesinks and enjoy gaming on the go with a decent portable system.

EDIT: By the way, Disgaea 2 just came out on PSP. Also Blood Bowl is out for both DS and PSP, but it may be hard to find. The PSP one is much better, IMO, but different strokes/folks and all that.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The PSP is a good way to go.

Doctorstrongbad on
    edited September 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    By the way, what are the really good must-play PSP games? I have one that is very under used. Besides Patapon and God of War, I haven't really played much on it.

Crisis Core is pretty good. FFT has been mentioned, however there is a pretty big slowdown in the battles that makes it pretty irritating compared to the original (you can get used to it though). Disgaea has also been mentioned.

One feature I really like about the PSP is how you can just pause a game and turn the thing completely off, and then turn it back on later and just unpause the game and continue from wherever. Wish my DS could do that (it can't right...? I'm not just a moron who didn't figure this out am i?)

Al_wat on
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Al_wat wrote: »

Crisis Core is pretty good. FFT has been mentioned, however there is a pretty big slowdown in the battles that makes it pretty irritating compared to the original (you can get used to it though). Disgaea has also been mentioned.

One feature I really like about the PSP is how you can just pause a game and turn the thing completely off, and then turn it back on later and just unpause the game and continue from wherever. Wish my DS could do that (it can't right...? I'm not just a moron who didn't figure this out am i?)

You're not actually turning the PSP off, just putting it into sleep mode (assuming you're just flicking the power switch). And yes, the DS does that if you close it (assuming you weren't in a game that uses the WFC constantly). Both will run down the battery at a slow pace like that, so don't forget to resume play or hook it up to the AC adapter. The DS has the slowly flashing power light to remind you, but I haven't seen an indicator on my PSP 1000.

Personally, my main beef with the DS is the location of the power switch on the Lite model. I tried bringing it to work for some relief on breaks, but the damn thing kept getting toggled while it was in my pocket. Getting through a pain in the ass floor on the item world only to find out I've lost all progress in it? D:

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I've left a DS on and closed for nearly a week and still had it run the game when I opened it.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you're into strategy the DS is easily the winner...

Advance Wars (x2)
    Age of Empires (x2)
    Battles of Prince of Persia
    Drone Wars
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Disgaea
    Populus
    Civ Revolution
    Lock's Quest
    Robocalype

While there are some reasons a PSP is a good system too if strategy is your thing the DS is a great system. As much as some people thought it was a gimmick the dual screens are great for the genre as you can see a unit's stats on the top and the game on the bottom (or vice versa).

Lindsay Lohan on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Keep in mind the DS's screens are fucking small and I had bought one for tactical RPGs but the shit just made my eyes hurt after a while. I ended up giving my DS away.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

You just close the DS while playing a game and when you open it, it will resume from that exact point, instantly.

Count Funkula on
    edited September 2009
    Turns out I'm a moron who didn't figure it out.

Really though, I just didn't clue in that the PSP went into a low power mode instead of turning off.

Al_wat on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd suggest picking up the DS Lite over any of the other systems if you have to pick up one. That way you can play the massive library of GBA games and DS games on a fairly amazing and cheap piece of equipment.

The DSi is going to be pretty amazing once the shop carries enough titles to make it nice, but I imagine that if you haven't been on the console scene for a while that the DS Lite would offer more options.

I do love my PSP for all the reasons stated above, but keep in mind that Sony hates reverse compatibility. The new systems are going to make all of these limited formats worthless in one generation, while Nintendo tends to try to keep some symbolance of reverse compatibility on each generation.

In the end, I'd just decide upon the games. I got a PSP originally just for FF Tactics, and it was worth every penny. I also bought a DS Lite around the same time. I switch between the two regularly on my global travels.

Enc on
    edited September 2009
    The Playstations as a whole have been ridiculously reverse compatible. It is only recently that PS3s didn't have backwards compatibility with PS2 games, and they still all can play PS1 games. Compare this with the N64, Gamecube, SNES, and NES, all of which have not been reverse compatible at all. It wasn't until the Wii that Nintendo made a console that had built-in reverse compatibility.

The Gameboy and DS lines are reverse compatible (at least, until the DSi came out), but they are a separate market that Nintendo almost had a monopoly on for many years (Lynx, GameGear, and other outliers aside). The PSPs can play PS1 games that have been converted and downloaded to a memory stick, as well (check the recent releases on the PSN for Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid). Sony doesn't "hate" reverse compatibility... as far as I know, they are trying to find ways to make it marketable through the PSN Store.

The OP doesn't sound like he/she is really interested in reverse compatibility in the slightest, anyway.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited September 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The Playstations as a whole have been ridiculously reverse compatible. It is only recently that PS3s didn't have backwards compatibility with PS2 games, and they still all can play PS1 games. Compare this with the N64, Gamecube, SNES, and NES, all of which have not been reverse compatible at all. It wasn't until the Wii that Nintendo made a console that had built-in reverse compatibility.

The Gameboy and DS lines are reverse compatible (at least, until the DSi came out), but they are a separate market that Nintendo almost had a monopoly on for many years (Lynx, GameGear, and other outliers aside). The PSPs can play PS1 games that have been converted and downloaded to a memory stick, as well (check the recent releases on the PSN for Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid). Sony doesn't "hate" reverse compatibility... as far as I know, they are trying to find ways to make it marketable through the PSN Store.

The OP doesn't sound like he/she is really interested in reverse compatibility in the slightest, anyway.

Woah, simmer down tiger. I was only referring to the hand held systems. And while that reverse compatibility is slowly coming to the psp, the fact remains that Nintendo has offered the ability to go back one generation several times, which allows for more overall games to choose from. Is the vast nintendo library as nice as the wonderful graphics on the PSP? I guess that would be up to the individual gamer and what they would prefer to play. As I stated before, I have both and love them all, even if my DS lite gets more total game time.

I've never understood the militant nature of defending consoles. They all have their flaws. Choose via what games you like.

Enc on
  • The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I love my DS.

But I love to primarily because I love old school point and click adventure games, which the DS tends to do pretty well. It's really the only place to find certain types of games aside from PC and some (poor) console ports.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Enc wrote: »

Woah, simmer down tiger. I was only referring to the hand held systems. And while that reverse compatibility is slowly coming to the psp, the fact remains that Nintendo has offered the ability to go back one generation several times, which allows for more overall games to choose from. Is the vast nintendo library as nice as the wonderful graphics on the PSP? I guess that would be up to the individual gamer and what they would prefer to play. As I stated before, I have both and love them all, even if my DS lite gets more total game time.

I've never understood the militant nature of defending consoles. They all have their flaws. Choose via what games you like.
    I don't feel that I was being militant or defensive. But LOLInternet and all that. I was just clarifying with the facts, walrus (Tiger? Really?), instead of ascribing emotions to a corporation's general marketing strategy.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited September 2009
    I don't feel that I was being militant or defensive. But LOLInternet and all that. I was just clarifying with the facts, walrus (Tiger? Really?), instead of ascribing emotions to a corporation's general marketing strategy.

I call everyone Tiger. Or Sport. I'm a gym coach. Born of a long line of gym coaches. It's what we are.

Enc on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm really really happy with my DSi. The 3 Castlevania DS games sell me the device on their own, but there's a ton of other teriffic games for it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2009
    The thing about Sony and reverse compatibility is they want to do it in a way that will make them the most money; meaning they don't have a problem with you playing old games... but they would prefer to release them in a new format for you to purchase again.

Al_wat on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think it's interesting he says 'the playstations as a whole have been ridiculously reverse compatible' when there's only been one that was truly back compatible.

Nova_C on
    edited September 2009
    The thing about Sony and reverse compatibility is they want to do it in a way that will make them the most money; meaning they don't have a problem with you playing old games... but they would prefer to release them in a new format for you to purchase again.

This kinda ticked me off, especially when I heard that the new PSP they are going to release will be using a different format than those crazy minidisks, meaning my library I re-purchased to play portable will be worthless if my old PSP breaks.

Still, they have good games, so what can you do?

Enc on
    edited September 2009
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I think it's interesting he says 'the playstations as a whole have been ridiculously reverse compatible' when there's only been one that was truly back compatible.
    Playstation 2 has Playstation 1 reverse compatibility. Playstation 3 has Playstation 2 AND Playstation 1 reverse compatibility (the current models axed the PS2 compatibility, although Sony has been trying to get a software emulation scheme going on instead. All PS3s can play PS1 games, though). PSP now has PS1 cross-compatibility or reverse compatibility (it has since the 3.00 firmware, actually). Not sure where you're getting that only one has been truly reverse compatible.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Playstation 2 has Playstation 1 reverse compatibility. Playstation 3 has Playstation 2 AND Playstation 1 reverse compatibility (the current models axed the PS2 compatibility, although Sony has been trying to get a software emulation scheme going on instead. All PS3s can play PS1 games, though). PSP now has PS1 cross-compatibility or reverse compatibility (it has since the 3.00 firmware, actually). Not sure where you're getting that only one has been truly reverse compatible.

If I go buy a PS3, right now, will it play PS2 games? No? Then it has limited back compatibility and doesn't count, or then you have to say the XBox 360 is back compatible, which means they all are and it's a moot issue.

I wasn't really speaking about portables because that's not back compatibility with the PSP per se, since the PSP isn't a successor to the Playstation. More like 'cross-compatibility'. Like a Mac playing PC games.

If we go with consoles/portables with full support for the preceding generation's library, this gen has the Wii and the DS lite. If you want to talk about all the compatibility options the current generation has, the Wii supports almost all the generations in some form. I mean, I don't own a Wii and have no current plans to get one despite my desire for the virtual console, but Sony got the bandwagon rolling with the PS2 being back compatible and then jumped off the bandwagon. For some reason.

At any rate, claiming that "The Playstations as a whole have been ridiculously reverse compatible." is pretty disingenuous since only one of their consoles has been fully back compatible.

EDIT: Note that the Wii can play NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, SMS, Genesis, TG16 and probably some others I can't remember. Nintendo is handing Sony it's ass in several ways this gen, not the least of which is follow through.

Nova_C on