As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - Release date set for January 26, 2010. 29 January in Europa.

Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho HoDisconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Mass Effect to be released on January 26. No specific confirmation, but there is reason to believe the 360 and PC version will hit the shelves at the same time.
PC version of Pinnacle Station is $5 at the EA store.

Having problems with the Pinnacle Station DLC on the 360? Here is the thread at the Official Forums talking about it.

Dangerous and Powerful Subject Zero Reveal Video
Subject Zero Video

Here's the old OP.
Going to reserve this space for ME2 info. Relevant ME1 info added as needed.

New Mass Effect 2 website.
Age verification required.

Two years have passed since the events of the first Mass Effect game. Galactic Apocalypse has been thwarted, but now, a new threat has emerged…

Human colonies have begun to disappear and it is up to Shepard to find out what is causing the disappearances and assemble a team to put a stop to it.

Mass Effect 2 will feature new worlds and locations, new weapons, new skills, and new characters to continue the story of Alliance Systems Navy Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre. The shadowy organisation Cerberus will play a more significant role in the sequel as Shepard is compelled to join forces with them to make the mission a success.

Old friends and faces from the first Mass Effect will be able to return, depending upon choices made in the original, and there are many new ones that will either join with Shepard or attempt to hinder the mission.

Along with a larger selection of weapons compared to the first game, a new class will be introduced. Shepard and company will now be able to wield rocket launchers and other high-damage, high-satisfaction weapons. Ejectable heat sinks have been added to allow players to continue firing during hectic combat without being required to wait for the weapon to cool down normally.

So far, two new alien races have been introduced. The drell and the vorcha. Not much is known about the drell outside of recruitable character Thane, but there has been information released about the vorcha. Other races are planned as more details come to light.

And now a few frequently asked questions explained:

How will I be able to import my Shepard?

Exact details about how this will work have not been released. However, due to experience with how it works in Mass Effect, it is expected that the game will search for data files from the first game to load a list of Shepards that have completed the game. This data is not the same as the possibly many save files you may already have, so unless your certain about which ones are gamestate saves and which ones are not, the best advice is to keep everything around until more specific information is available.

Will Character So-and-So return?/Will my love interest return?

Any characters that survived to the end of the first game will make an appearance in Mass Effect 2. This includes whomever you may have chosen as your love interest. However, it has not been confirmed that any or all will be actual team members. Shepard must recruit the ‘best of the best’ to fill out the team and original members may not meet necessary criteria. Or, it may just be they might not wish to join depending upon who is already on the team. Exactly how many you may recruit from and the maximum potential teammates has not yet been confirmed. [strike]Though twelve is a number that has been mentioned.[/strike] (BioWare as apparently removed any reference to the number twelve in relation to recruitable characters.) Definitely more options than before.

Are elevators still a problem?

The developers have confirmed that they have been working to improve loading times. This includes the ‘hidden’ loading that would happen on elevators. It’s been said that while elevators still exist within the in-game ME universe, they are not expected to be as bad as they were originally.

I don’t like some choices I made in the first game. Can I make alterations to Shepard in the sequel?

In a word: maybe. No details have been released about making changes to imported Shepard characters, but BioWare is aware of such requests and have made comments to the effect that they are working on it. Whether this means just a physical image change or may include switching combat classes is unknown at this time.

Will there be new combat classes in the game?

No. There will be new skills introduced (such as a new biotic talent: Pull), but the combat classes will remain the same. Adept, Engineer, Soldier and the combination classes Sentinel, Infiltrator, and Vanguard will return.

They’ve said that if Shepard dies, he dies ‘for real’. What does that mean for Mass Effect 3?

It means that the Shepard that dies, is dead. BioWare has stated all along that Mass Effect is the story of Shepard's exploits. Therefore, Shepard must return for Mass Effect 3, even as a ‘canon’ character. The choices you’ll make in ME2 could lead to the death of that Shepard. If you don’t want Shepard to die, make multiple saves or simply start ME2 over again and make different choices.

What if I never played the first Mass Effect. Is there a KOTOR II-style introduction to the events of the first game?

Nobody outside BioWare/EA knows for sure how a ‘tabula rasa’ Mass Effect 2 will begin. Through interviews and message board posts, it is theorised that a combination of canon defaults and user choices will set the stage. But this has yet to be confirmed.

What if I played the first Mass Effect way too many times and I have a level 60 Shepard? Will any of that effort pay off in Mass Effect 2? I don’t want my Shepard to be ‘reset’.

Yes, but that depends. Exactly how an imported Shepard will be plugged into the game is not yet known, but we do know that because of the new skills and how they’ve made some modifications to the combat engine, old skills and skill levels may not work as they did before.

For example, if you had Throw as a skill and maxed it out at 12 points, you will receive some kind of in-game bonus to represent your previous knowledge. But you will not start at level 12 for the skill. The skill reset is to accommodate the new engine, but they will not ignore the effort you’ve put into your character up until now.

One time, I chose to perform action Y instead of action X. Will ME2 recognise this? I’ve played multiple times, how will I know which save to choose?

Yes it will. But the extent of what decisions Shepard made and how they will affect events in ME2 is not yet fully known. BioWare has stated that all choices made are tracked and kept in the numerous end-of-game save lists.

Currently, the ability to start a new game with an ‘old’ Shepard simply lists the first name, the date completed, and the level reached by the character. There is no information on what, if any, differences will appear when selecting a Shepard to import.

New Video
Age verification required.
Show me the way to go home!

The first official FAQ list. (So far, the only official FAQ list...)

A new list FAQs on the BioWare forums:

Casey Hudson blogged some shit. More direct answers so some FAQs.

Preston Watamaniuk, ME Lead Designer, has this to say on New Game+. (Scroll Down).

Meet Grunt

Full E3 Trailer

E3 Promo Trailer

ME2 Preview Trailer

First Teaser Trailer

Courtesy of TychoCelchuuu.

Facebook Page number 1

Facebook Page number 2

Facebook Page number 3

Problems with Therum in the first Mass Effect? Solution in the spoiler.
Hey! Therum is missing textures!

A PC game with bugs? That's unpossible!

Sadly, many have had issues with the PC version of the game. Obviously, make sure you have the latest drivers available. And while we're happy to help in this thread, contacting 'official' support personnel may have better results.

Here is a link to a list of issues the Steam version may have in general.

But this seems to work best for the Therum issue:
The solution is usually quite simple - without doing anything else after landing on Therum - save your game, exit, go to the Steam\steamapps\common\mass effect\Binaries folder, and run the MassEffectConfig.exe

(if you are running Vista you will first have to right click on this file, and have it run in XP compatibility mode)

Once you run the config file, click on the Repair option, and then click on "Delete Local Shader Cache Files".

Restart the last saved game on Therum, and it should work.

Don't try to manually delete the shader cache files - you shouldn't have to if you use the config tool.
If you find you'd rather delete the files manually, you might have to do it more than once before success.

Though a patch is mentioned as coming soon, we don't know when yet. This may address the issue once and for all.

Santa Claustrophobia on

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anybody know where the Subject Zero video is that can be embedded?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Those facebook pages are precious.

Subject Zero embedded heah
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD0AdV6-rAY

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nice work on the OP, Sants.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • BirudojinBirudojin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    haha, Shepard pointed at her with the sniper rifle at point blank range.

(bug)

Birudojin on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks, Basil.
    deowolf wrote: »
    Nice work on the OP, Sants.

It's still a work in progress. Once we start getting a better selection of screens and a bit more concrete info I'll add/change more.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited September 2009
    Screw the screens/vids, I like the way your faq there rolled.

deowolf on
    edited September 2009
    I'm pretty sure you'll change your tune when I can talk about certain stuff...

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited September 2009
    I now hate you

?

deowolf on
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Subject Zero's video was sorely lacking This Is The New Shit.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The action in the videos looks so much more dynamic and intense. I don't know if it's the angle or the lack of pausing to select skills or better animation, but I hope it retains that feeling during actual gameplay.

Lux on
  • ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For those of you wondering where Miranda went, you can see the boobs of glory at 0:30. At least shes wearing a similar outfit, and style as Miranda.

Edit: Also 1:04 and 1:07

Arkyris on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It could be Miranda's mother!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • DigitalismDigitalism Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Subject Zero looks... interesting to say the least, looks like Shepard will definitely have his/her hands full. I :lol:'d at the hint of a sex scene there, looks like Zero will be the one wearing the trousers/pants in that relationship :P

Digitalism on
    steam_sig.png
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like 'er. The only female NPC with any sort of spunk was Tali. Ash and Liara just felt like they picked the two ends of the feminine spectrum and went with it.

l337CrappyJack on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like 'er. The only female NPC with any sort of spunk was Tali. Ash and Liara just felt like they picked the two ends of the feminine spectrum and went with it.

agreed

and hey it's super interesting to have a fucking psychopath for a teammate

you don't get that opportunity every day

Nuzak on
    edited September 2009
    also, enjoying that environment

nice vista of that ruined sattelite dish

Nuzak on
  • Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If we count in the Clint Eastwood Salarian and your two starting partners, that leaves us, according to that list, with 3 as of yet unmentioned party NPCs. Any takers on what it's gonna be?

Oh, and I'm not super into all the dark drearyness and mentalness of your new party... can't at least one of them seem somewhat sane? Well... I DID love Planescape, back in the day, but yeah, this is a bit too... Dragon Age trailery.

Phoenix1985 on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thane seems rather sane.

Especially for someone who is basically an alien ninja.

Oats on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    Those facebook pages are precious.

Subject Zero embedded heah
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD0AdV6-rAY

I for one will not have britney spears in my party

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, think I'll pass on Subject Brat myself as well. Shepard should be the one wrecking shit on his renegade play through.

Xeddicus on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    but will you have subject zero

Burden of Proof on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Subject WTF?

Also do we know who the voice is? Sounds familiar.

WMain00 on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ha ha ha! :lol:
    Oh I like 'er too.

Nartwak on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm mixed. Subject 0 does seem a bit over the top and cliche'd edgy.

But yeah, having someone on the team that isn't buttoned-up and straight-laced will be interesting.

VoodooV on
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So what is this "Clint Eastwood Salarian" people are talking about?

DarkCrawler on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh dear.

"Now who's the badass biotic, bitch?" and "Think you can handle me?" in the same trailer?

We need the "There's no "out" for people like us" and "This is the end. - The end? It's only just begun." to complete the picture.

I guess she's the ideal character as far as the fucking scene goes, as with her, you can do it without any proper cause or reason, much like it was in the first game, but this time there's no senselessness to it, because the act in itself is void of reason.

Anyway, at least there's color in the squad. I guess that's about the only positive conclusion I can reach here.

BlackDove on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's Revy!

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So what is this "Clint Eastwood Salarian" people are talking about?

No name for him as far as I recall, and just some off-hand mentions by the devs and in some interviews.

Phoenix1985 on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    She reminds me of Asajj Ventress.

Burden of Proof on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bought and downloading Pinnacle Station, time to do my Vanguard playthrough for ME2. Whats bring down the sky though? Is it a DLC or did it come with my Steam version?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like her face....thats about it? maybe

I was really hoping they were gonna go with an Apocalypse Now Brando type character for the Imprisoned Biotic. Instead of "I'm a Rocker Chick , aren't I hardcore?"

O_o

Elizabeth Greene from Prototype seems more hardcore
    and she was basically a mute who spent most of her life in prison

Egos on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    I like her face....thats about it? maybe

I was really hoping they were gonna go with an Apocalypse Now Brando type character for the Imprisoned Biotic. Instead of "I'm a Rocker Chick , aren't I hardcore?"

O_o

Elizabeth Greene from Prototype seems more hardcore
    and she was basically a mute who spent most of her life in prison

No, she wasn't...Greene was a plot motivator you heard from once and didn't see again for half the game. But characters/story wasn't Prototype's strong point.

Dragkonias on
  • DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I mean for all those complaining, we have been told many of the endings result in grisly deaths for party members, so I am sure you will find some way to cope with Subject Zero in game.

Also, did anyone else think during the first five seconds of the video when she said "Some are to remember" that she was going to be some sort of ex-Batarian slave?

DozingDragon on
    edited September 2009
    tattoos

shaved hair

i sense space-hitler's hand in this

Nuzak on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    why no grunt video in the op?

also that screen at the start of the new video.. theres going to be 10 new party members + maybe old ones? or is that 10 party members only including some old ones?

you don't know do you. D:

Deaderinred on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    why no grunt video in the op?

also that screen at the start of the new video.. theres going to be 10 new party members + maybe old ones? or is that 10 party members only including some old ones?

you don't know do you. D:

you would have to ask bioware

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One playthrough unlocks Luigi.

It's a little jarring at first, but that jump of his opens up all sorts of secret areas.

Seriously on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We've seen Tali standing behind Shepard in one video, right?

Then I'm happy.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • dark_porpoisedark_porpoise Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm an idiot and forgot to change the thread I was posting this in:
    From last thread:
    It's variety, that's all I care about. From a plot perspective, I like the idea that not everyone you can recruit is a nice, clean-cut, polite character who licks your boots and asks for seconds. I'm interested in seeing how a character like this interacts with the rest of the party. I'm interested in seeing whether or not Grunt's gonna turn on the party at a critical moment.

Mostly this, although my excitement has been tempered after re-watching it a bit (at first I was just happy to have some new info on something) but I just like variety. I'll admit she's a bit over the top, but I'm willing to give her a chance. If I find her to be bad during the game, I'll just go ahead and bench her, no big deal.

And as for why I'd want her in my party: Did you see her kill that fucking mech?!
    She reminds me of Asajj Ventress.

Yeah, I sort of get that vibe too.

Thane and Salarian Clint Eastwood will probably get priority over her though.

dark_porpoise on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, Subject Zero is just not for me. Interesting character and all that, lots of color to be sure, but she won't find her way into my active party very often. That's why they provide us with the variety of characters that they do though. I'm more of a Thane kinda guy.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D