As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crackdown 2: I can see my house from here.

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Crackdown 2

I know there's an existing thread but it's 3 months old and today we have new news, so let's do this thing.

Joystiq has a gallery with screenshots!
http://www.joystiq.com/photos/crackdown-2-tgs-2009/
crackdown2tgs11.jpg
crackdown2tgs10.jpg
crackdown2tgs5.jpg

Also a video of multiplayer!
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/25/tgs-2009-watch-a-crackdown-2-deathmatch/

I'll try and fill this out with content and information, but those are the most important things. Like, on the forum right now.

I am so excited for this, since I've been playing through the first on co-op with my girlfriend and it's still just the most fun. I spent a good while just getting a car onto a roof last night just so I could throw it at her, because hey, I can pick up cars and throw them onto roofs. What're you gonna do about it?

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It looks awesome. Man I really need to go to gamestop and buy another used copy and finally collect the rest of those orbs. It's only like 9 bucks now, right?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All I want is to pick up a teammate who himself is picking up a car, throw the teammate across the city who in turn in mid air throws the car out of his hands, breaking both the laws of physics and every bone in the bodies of the enemy team.

Is that too much to ask?

The_Scarab on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well my girlfriend was in the Agency SUV which I picked up, then surfed on top of a police car while hoisting it above my head. Eventually the front wheels came off and it became a dragster. WHEEEEE!!

I'd love the ability to punch (one of the screenshots looks like he's holding a piece of rebar with some concrete on the ends.. Neo?) and do kicks while in mid-air. Just an expanded set of combat moves would be neat.

It may be asking too much, but after Red Faction, I would dearly love the ability to put people through walls.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm not sure how I feel about "the same city, now with mutants!", but 4-player open-world co-op with the crazy over-the-top action of Crackdown?

Yes, PLEASE!

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    day one dawg
    day fucking one
    if there's more people in co-op then i will make out with everyone at fuffian games
    the matchmaking looks sick

Local H Jay on
    edited September 2009
    Same city?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Local, Darley when I get my copy back from my thieving friend we should play some coop of this. Can you have more then two people in COOP? I can't remember

I'll be picking this up, it was very enjoyable and I always loved the director/narrator dude. Same voice as red faction and some other game I just played

Dixon on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's a pretty big article on this in the latest Gameinformer. Pretty much they stated that they'll be handling the bosses differently.
    "The thing that annoyed me most [about Crackdown 1] was repetition and just pure shit of the boss battles," Thompson says. "I loved the level design, I loved the progression through the levels, the multiplayer - all of that was great all the way up to the point where you had to kill that boss. I think, possibly, that is the worst thing in Crackdown... that's the bit we've completely bent."

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Day one, I'm all over this!

wusoldjr on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hoping for some better balance between the various weapons this time (e.g. a reason to use something that isn't the harpoon gun or an explosive), but man, Crackdown is some of the most fun I've had on the 360. I can't wait for this.

s3rial one on
    edited September 2009
    Dixon wrote: »
    Local, Darley when I get my copy back from my thieving friend we should play some coop of this. Can you have more then two people in COOP? I can't remember

I'll be picking this up, it was very enjoyable and I always loved the director/narrator dude. Same voice as red faction and some other game I just played

Only 2 people in Crackdown, and I think all my co-op time is booked up, but with 4 people in Crackdown 2, i will absolutely be up for some shenanigans.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are there hundreds of skill boosting orbs to collect? If so, then I'm in. Better bosses is good, and it'd be cool to improve the driving a bit, to make it actually useful. And are you saying it's the same city as the first game? Am I understanding that correctly?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    It looks awesome. Man I really need to go to gamestop and buy another used copy and finally collect the rest of those orbs. It's only like 9 bucks now, right?

$10 New! What?!

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited September 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    Same city?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=223024?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS
    as rumoured Pacific City hasn't changed much and still holds the same roads and many of the same buildings as before - although some have been changed or demolished.

The infection in the city means that it will now decay over time, and the mutants roaming the streets will grow far more fearsome as the game progresses. Luckily, they seem to prefer the night as their playtime.

Civilians have responded to this new, increasingly dangerous metropolis by armouring up their cars and carrying weapons, and they'll often be involved in dynamic events such as selling you goods or being chased down by giant critters.

CarbonFire on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    man, i am super excited for this game. Crackdown was some of the most fun i've had with my 360 to date.

i think i actually lapsed into a stoked-coma when i saw the cover of this months GI. Can't wait!

hatedinamerica on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I loved the simplicity of Crackdown, I'd have been happy for a sequel with an expanded set of melee moves and a different city. I even liked the boss battles :)

Looking forward to trying this but a tad dubious, that deathmatch video looked REALLY sparse.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    climbing the agency building

looking around for miles

jumping off the agency building

Nuzak on
    edited September 2009
    I hope they just got insane with the orbs.

Like, you collect your first one and at the bottom of the screen it says

Orb Found 1/6700

And you would be all "FUCK" but know deep down that it's awesome.

Deep deep down.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2009
    you go out the batcave entrance though the tunnel, shoot the goons outside, and see that first green orb on the restaurant and you have to use the stairs because you can't jump more than 5 feet up

and then you look at the rest of the city

green orbs on every god damn pillar

Nuzak on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I hope they just got insane with the orbs.

Like, you collect your first one and at the bottom of the screen it says

Orb Found 1/6700

And you would be all "FUCK" but know deep down that it's awesome.

Deep deep down.

Oh god.... *shudders* The collector in me would have to hunt them down. I don't know... I might have to quit my job.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Assassin's Creed pretty much broke that for me. And the flags to collect in that game didn't have any kind of proximity indicator.

Psychonauts was another motherfucker for that kind of thing.

I mean shit, I 100%'d Mario Sunshine with no toil at all but AC nearly killed me.

The_Scarab on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BlueDestiny on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about "the same city, now with mutants!", but 4-player open-world co-op with the crazy over-the-top action of Crackdown?

Yes, PLEASE!
    Technically, just with more mutants. I take it you bothered wiping out all the Shai-Gen? After you kill the scientist, they start roaming that section. People seem to forget this bit.

Mechanical on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I hope that video leaves a ton of room for improvement. I don't like the way the guy jumps at all, or the awkwardness of physical attacks.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited September 2009
    well i think they should take into account what has already been said- punting a dude across a fucking block and into heavy traffic rules, guns are shit in comparison

Nuzak on
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    edited September 2009
    annnnnd i'm back off the wagon

Nuzak on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does this have any sort of release date?

Rizzi on
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wonder if you can shoot while climbing this time around?

hatedinamerica on
    edited September 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »

Nope.

And after watching that video, I hope it's a long way off.

CarbonFire on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Why does the guy fall at the same speed he jumps upwards?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The "improved" hand-to-hand combat looks kind of wonky, and I seriously hope they won't have so many freaks following you around the city at night to interrupt your free roaming, which was half the fun of Crackdown. I'll be looking at this with cautious optimism.

Grimthwacker on
  • unknownsome1unknownsome1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    After hearing about this upcoming sequel a while back, I really need to pick up the first one ASAP. It just looks like so much fun.

unknownsome1 on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »

Nope.

And after watching that video, I hope it's a long way off.

It is, they only really got going on it full speed this year.

Cabezone on
  • AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I want the ability to have a partner grab the enemies feet and I grab his hands and we tear that motherfucker in half, using the pieces as weapons of bad-assery.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The most awesome thing was to snipe the tires on a semi from the roof, then toss a propane/explosive cannister right in the middle of the ensuing pileup and devastate 10 square blocks in a slideshow-inducing domino of explosions when you ground pound it from 30 stories up.

JihadJesus on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed pretty much broke that for me. And the flags to collect in that game didn't have any kind of proximity indicator.

Psychonauts was another motherfucker for that kind of thing.

I mean shit, I 100%'d Mario Sunshine with no toil at all but AC nearly killed me.

Between those two games I pretty much broke myself of collectibles in game. It's making Batman AA a bit of a challenge.

Interesting to see how this game turns out - I was one of the few fans of the first that I actually know.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    Same city?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=223024?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS
    as rumoured Pacific City hasn't changed much and still holds the same roads and many of the same buildings as before - although some have been changed or demolished.

The infection in the city means that it will now decay over time, and the mutants roaming the streets will grow far more fearsome as the game progresses. Luckily, they seem to prefer the night as their playtime.

Civilians have responded to this new, increasingly dangerous metropolis by armouring up their cars and carrying weapons, and they'll often be involved in dynamic events such as selling you goods or being chased down by giant critters.

Huh.. well skate 2 used an almost identical city and was a fantastic game, so we'll see how it goes.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nothing beats jumping from skyscraper to skyscraper in the original Crackdown.

I can't for this to come out. And for me to replace my 360.

Graviija on
    edited September 2009
    Am I watching different videos to everyone else? Actually yes, apparently, but the Gametrailers ones Mijango linked look rather good to me, especially considering that it's both early in development and the guy is playing with keys, rather than a controller. Doesn't even look or sound like a mouse is involved. Yes some of the combat animations could be improved, but it looks like more Crackdown with more to do. I wouldn't really want anything else.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png