As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - Release date set for January 26, 2010. 29 January in Europa.

• Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Oh hey, I just noticed something. Shepard has the cerberus logo on his uniform.

megaton

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    Well, you're half right. But none the less, we can't judge the people who made horrible choices, the same way I'm not judging you right now :)

Too be fair, I liked Ashley a lot better on my more recent playthroughs as a FemShep. I actually spent the time to listen to all of her dialogue, eventually getting to the point where she says something along the lines of "hey Kaiden is cute but it looks like you two might have a thing and if that's the case I'll back off." I thought that was a nice touch.

However, KAIDEN KILLED A "MAN" BY KICKING HIM IN THE JAW WITH HIS ENERGY LEGS. Sorry Ash, but it looks like you're toast.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    werehippy wrote: »
    Well, you're half right. But none the less, we can't judge the people who made horrible choices, the same way I'm not judging you right now :)

Too be fair, I liked Ashley a lot better on my more recent playthroughs as a FemShep. I actually spent the time to listen to all of her dialogue, eventually getting to the point where she says something along the lines of "hey Kaiden is cute but it looks like you two might have a thing and if that's the case I'll back off." I thought that was a nice touch.

However, KAIDEN KILLED A "MAN" BY KICKING HIM IN THE JAW WITH HIS ENERGY LEGS. Sorry Ash, but it looks like you're toast.

Because if it's one thing that is a straight and reasonable comparison, it's whether or not a character can actually do such a thing.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The Clint Eastwood salarian should be dubbed Harry Sallarahan.

i cannot believe you just give these kinds of ideas away

I have a computer that works 24/7 coming up with these.

Or should I say

A compunter.

ho ho ho

The_Scarab on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A guy with "Lift" or a gal with a gun.

I'm going with the dude.

BlackDove on
    edited September 2009
    Wrong. Always bet on Sallarahan.

vovl2b.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Wrong. Always bet on Sallarahan.

vovl2b.jpg

Who made this and why are they so awesome?

Dragkonias on
    edited September 2009
    I made the motivational poster just now. The art is apocryphal.

The_Scarab on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    deowolf wrote: »
    I did the Tower manually last night, just for S's and G's, and I'll tell you, it's just as quick as pressing the 100 omni-gel button.

YOU LIE!

I did it. And I'm going back to do it again just to spit in your eye, pal.

edit: Awesome picture of Salarian is awesome.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Glad to hear that SuZy is in no way a polarizing figure and that nobody has decided that they aren't getting the game because it might have a topless tatskank throwing a mech around.

I could explain that Suzy's enhanced biotics come from the fact that her biotics are augmented through solar power, and the tats are solar panels, which means she always needs to have them exposed. This would be not true in any capacity, but it might make some people feel better.

The simpler explanation is that I personally utterly loathe her character. She presses a number of buttons I don't like in real-life people, and she's written well enough that she comes off like a real-life person -- a real-life person I detest. Other people respond to her extremely favorably.

Which is why, for me, she stays on the ship. And... well, not to get spoilery on you, but if this were ME1, I'd be really excited when it came time to leave someone to guard the nuke on Virmire. We're on a suicide mission. Some people might not make it. Sacrifices have to be made. (cough)

This is why we've got more than 6 this time. Having so many lets us take risks and make the characters cover a wider range. The goal in ME1 was for you to kinda like (at least) most or all of them -- if you loved them, great, but we tried to avoid taking hard-line chances (and hell, see Space Hitler for how well even that worked). The goal this time was for there to be characters you love and characters you loathe.

ETA: Scarab, you are awesome.

takyris on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have to say what bugs me about her. Is that I get the feeling if you wanted to translate Vin Diesel's film persona into a female you would end up with something like Subject Zero.

Egos on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmm...I wonder.

Say in ME2 we leave some of our poorer disposition-having teammates to guard a nuke. Will they say no and have everything go all explodey?

>_>

@Egos: That could in no way, shape, or form be a bad thing.

Dragkonias on
    edited September 2009
    Seriously, that guy is holding a fucking hand cannon.

Five shots or six. Or six hundred. He's going to cause some fuckin damage.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »

You like Vin Diesel?

Egos on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    takyris wrote: »
    ... well, not to get spoilery on you, but if this were ME1, I'd be really excited when it came time to leave someone to guard the nuke on Virmire. We're on a suicide mission. Some people might not make it. Sacrifices have to be made. (cough)

This is why we've got more than 6 this time. Having so many lets us take risks and make the characters cover a wider range.

Isn't this going to be a clusterfuck for ME3: The Search for Saren's Gold? I mean, it's not my problem, I don't have to implement the 15! combos of characters and interactions and elevators, but I'd hate to start reading in the paper aboot Bioware devs making themselves steet pizza because they're choking on choice.
    Egos wrote: »
    I have to say what bugs me about her. Is that I get the feeling if you wanted to translate Vin Diesel's film persona into a female you would end up with something like Subject Zero.

She lives her live one Mass relay at a time.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

You like Vin Diesel?

Who cares? Frankly, any character that is different from the 'original six' can only be a good thing. Even if they appear to be just a collection of clichés.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited September 2009

You like Vin Diesel?

I'm a fan of old action/kung fu movies, chessy one-liners, and random explosions.

So, I really don't mind him too much.

Dragkonias on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

You like Vin Diesel?

You don't? He's not a terrible actor, he's been in good films, and he's not a terrible person.

Anyway, I'm really just pleased that Bioware isn't taking the 'safe' choices for casting and plotting of ME2. Being able to do different things rather than having to trot out all the old cliches that worked really well in ME but would be goddamn tiresome in ME2(well kinda tiresome) makes me a happy camper.

Rainfall on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vin Diesel is a great actor

But then he got famous and stopped caring

Robman on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Glad to hear that SuZy is in no way a polarizing figure and that nobody has decided that they aren't getting the game because it might have a topless tatskank throwing a mech around.

I could explain that Suzy's enhanced biotics come from the fact that her biotics are augmented through solar power, and the tats are solar panels, which means she always needs to have them exposed. This would be not true in any capacity, but it might make some people feel better.

The simpler explanation is that I personally utterly loathe her character. She presses a number of buttons I don't like in real-life people, and she's written well enough that she comes off like a real-life person -- a real-life person I detest. Other people respond to her extremely favorably.

Which is why, for me, she stays on the ship. And... well, not to get spoilery on you, but if this were ME1, I'd be really excited when it came time to leave someone to guard the nuke on Virmire. We're on a suicide mission. Some people might not make it. Sacrifices have to be made. (cough)

This is why we've got more than 6 this time. Having so many lets us take risks and make the characters cover a wider range. The goal in ME1 was for you to kinda like (at least) most or all of them -- if you loved them, great, but we tried to avoid taking hard-line chances (and hell, see Space Hitler for how well even that worked). The goal this time was for there to be characters you love and characters you loathe.

This is exactly why I'm loving the characters so far. Grunt does absolutely nothing for me from what I've seen. He seems reckless and dangerous and far more likely to harm Shepard than help him. But I love the character exactly because of that; I get the feeling he's not just gonna fall in line and be all buddy-buddy with Shepard. I LIKE that. I like that there are characters who are characters, and don't necessarily worship the ground Shepard walks on because Shepard is the best and all others should love Shepard.

"Advance!"
    "Fuck you, Shepard, those guys have GUNS, YOU do it."

l337CrappyJack on
    edited September 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »

You don't? He's not a terrible actor, he's been in good films, and he's not a terrible person.

I'm generally not a fan of the characters he seems to like to play - e.g. Guys who tout off about how bad ( or bad ass) they are at every turn, but the character is basically just a good guy who likes to scowl.

Bishop from NWN2 almost fell into that trap...almost

Egos on
    edited September 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »

I'm generally not a fan of the characters he seems to like to play - e.g. Guys who tout off about how bad ( or bad ass) they are at every turn, but the character is basically just a good guy who likes to scowl.

Bishop from NWN2 almost fell into that trap...almost

Oh. Well, I'm a Sam Jackson fan. And he does that in every movie he's ever been in so I'm used to it.

Dragkonias on
  • Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Extremely favorably? I mean... I'm sure people would respond to her , in some fashion.. but what sort of person do you have to be to really enjoy having her around? I mean... this little trailer obviously doesn't tell the whole story, and maybe she's got some redeeming qualities... but I'd probably keep her shipwise as well, unless I was using my Renegade Shep's from earlier playthroughs (which I tend to not enjoy playing even nearly as much).

Still, she seems fairly well written , I guess (I know, that's such a stupid term, but she sounds like she was written perfectly to character, at least). Again, just a trailer, so what the hey, she might turn out to be the most shallow of the group.. aside from the violent krogan.

Oh, and to the guy who mentioned how many NPCs was left.. I already mentioned this! Me! Bask in my glory! D:

...oh, and SuZy? Nice.

Phoenix1985 on
    edited September 2009
    I won't lie, the line:

"Ran with some gangs, joined a cult...kept the haircut." had me chuckling.

Dragkonias on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CRAAAAAWWWWLING IN MY SKIIIIIIIIN is all that trailer was missing

Fatty McBeardo on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like Subject Zero. At least, I like that she's in the game. Everyone in the first one felt like they aligned fairly well in the middle; they were more or less nice people. I'm excited seeing characters who are in totally different spectrums this time around.

And the romance would be interesting. :P

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited September 2009
    Who cares? Frankly, any character that is different from the 'original six' can only be a good thing. Even if they appear to be just a collection of clichés.

Well I agree with you there, at least the first part. Why the decided to keep Tali (aside from the throngs of obsessed fanboys) is beyond me ..

Egos on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I won't lie, the line:

"Ran with some gangs, joined a cult...kept the haircut." had me chuckling.

Yeah, that was the line that sold me on the character as well. Some good stuff, as well as some terrible lines. Seems like Bioware fare to me.

Rainfall on
    edited September 2009

Well I agree with you there, at least the first part. Why the decided to keep Tali (aside from the throngs of obsessed fanboys) is beyond me ..

The accent.

That and the Quarians had a pretty big part in the second book.

Dragkonias on
    edited September 2009
    Oh noes scary Quarians

Sup bitch here's some e-coli tipped darts, have fun with a brutal infection of flesh melty goodness!

Robman on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh, and is it just me or does Subject Zero look a bit like Natalie Portman?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited September 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    Oh, and is it just me or does Subject Zero loo a bit like Natalie Portman?

Again, not a bad thing.

Dragkonias on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I guess as far as the skinny and V for Vendetta bald haircut goes, yeah. Tattoo's and attitude not so much.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2245907/

Because it gets her in the recording booth.

*sooooo dreamy*
    Dashui wrote: »
    Oh, and is it just me or does Subject Zero loo a bit like Natalie Portman?

Again, not a bad thing.

Yeah, I talked to Natalie Portman once, and there's no such thing as "too" Natalie Portman.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited September 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I guess as far as the skinny and V for Vendetta bald haircut goes, yeah. Tattoo's and attitude not so much.

Obviously you've never seen the SNL skit she did with Andy Samberg

Natalie's one bad ass bitch.

Dragkonias on
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »

Ahem. EDIT: how do I make it not embedded?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpMPFGBtE7Q

Walrus Pete on
    edited September 2009
    Heh, reminds me of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpMPFGBtE7Q&feature=related

NSFW obviously

Robman on
    edited September 2009
    Huh.

That's some powerful hivemind action right there, Walrus Pete

Robman on
    edited September 2009
    Mind-triplets!

Dragkonias on
  • Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Join ussss

Walrus Pete on