As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - Release date set for January 26, 2010. 29 January in Europa.

• RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeha my space asshole looks like he's going to be hip deep in poon this installment

Robman on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think I may have to her and Miranda in my party, or either her and Thane, to see the interactions between characters and events.

I also wonder if I should make a new ME1 save where I don't romance anyone, just so I won't feel like an asshole if I decide to experiment with new characters in the sequel. That's assuming romances carry over, of course.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    I also wonder if I should make a new ME1 save where I don't romance anyone, just so I won't feel like an asshole if I decide to experiment with new characters in the sequel. That's assuming romances carry over, of course.

They supposedly carry -over, but we don't know what affect they will have. I'm guessing the NPCs wont care one way or the other to be honest.

Egos on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eh. None of the romances have the characters declaring love or anything, they're all presented as "So yeah, we're probably gonna die, what the heck".

l337CrappyJack on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ahem. EDIT: how do I make it not embedded?

For your edification:

Use {vidurl=dot.com/address/goeshere}Text goes here{/vidurl}

Replace sets with brackets, of course...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Juc wrote: »
    Don't think that's what being shown in the marketing stuff as the full extent of the game.

They're trying to sell the game to people who aren't already sold on Bioware games and showing bits like this is just one way of doing it.

Plus a lot of the other stuff is really boring to watch.
    Endless dialogue trees are like golf, some people might like to watch it, but it puts the vast majority of people asleep unless they're actually playing the game themselves.
    Point taken, but that only goes so far. "The New Shit" trailer is obviously part of that kind of marketing, but I think it's also fair to say that the mere inclusion of a character like Subject Zero is indicative of a wildly different (and, in my personal opinion, abhorrent) tone and approach to the game as well.

They may be trying to bring in a wider audience, but trailers are also there to communicate what kind of game it is. I'll try and abstain from kicking any more sand around how terrible I think it is, but, setting quality evaluations aside, just hoping that the trailers are completely different from the final product is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Darlan on
    edited September 2009
    At the very least, I need to finish my save where I keep Kaiden. I have three games total, and the first two I both saved Ashley. I think Kaiden makes more sense tactically, though, and he kind of feels like a buddy to male Shepard, so I may use that save for Mass Effect 2.
    Darlan wrote:
    They may be trying to bring in a wider audience, but trailers are also there to communicate what kind of game it is. I'll try and abstain from kicking any more sand around how terrible I think it is, but, setting quality evaluations aside, just hoping that the trailers are completely different from the final product is setting yourself up for disappointment.

As I said earlier, that's why I like her. She's so polarizing where in the first game everyone was a little more closer to the middle. I want characters on all ends of the spectrum. It makes things a little more interesting. Also, I think it's jumping the gun at this point. You're not going to get everything from a one minute trailer. Our good friend takyris said she's a well written character that feels real, even if you loathe her, and that's also good enough for me to wait on my opinion.

Dashui on
    edited September 2009
    I hope there's an option where Asshole Shep and Asshole Kaiden get to double team natalie portman

That would just be all kinds of hilarious (my asshole run is going for grade a campy sci-fi)

I wonder if subject zero is Kaiden's old crush from the energy legs academy

Robman on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    At the very least, I need to finish my save where I keep Kaiden. I have three games total, and the first two I both saved Ashley. I think Kaiden makes more sense tactically, though, and he kind of feels like a buddy to male Shepard, so I may use that save for Mass Effect 2.

Word. I still need to finish up my "romance Ash but leave her on Virmire because protecting the bomb is the priority" roleplay playthrough.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited September 2009
    Darlan wrote:

As I said earlier, that's why I like her. She's so polarizing where in the first game everyone was a little more closer to the middle. I want characters on all ends of the spectrum. It makes things a little more interesting. Also, I think it's jumping the gun at this point. You're not going to get everything from a one minute trailer. Our good friend takyris said she's a well written character that feels real, even if you loathe her, and that's also good enough for me to wait on my opinion.

It makes sense - she's the prototype for E-Z biotics and she went fucking crazy because they fucked her head open. Now she just wants to fuck the world back a little bit.

EDIT the goody two-shoes will probably have the option of talking her down a bit and making her a little more normal

Robman on
    edited September 2009

Word. I still need to finish up my "romance Ash but leave her on Virmire because protecting the bomb is the priority" roleplay playthrough.

Aye. I sent her with the Salarians, because she's a soldier and Kaiden is an engineer. I felt he should stay with the bomb. That makes sense, right? So when the bomb came under fire, an important objective, why would I turn around just to save a grunt? Kaiden is also an officer, too. So yeah, I'll probably definitely go with that for my final decision.
    Robman wrote:
    EDIT the goody two-shoes will probably have the option of talking her down a bit and making her a little more normal

That's what I'm thinking, too. There were some very versatile characters in the first game you could influence either way. Perhaps Ms. Crazy Natalie Portman is one of those characters, too? You could cool that flame a little bit or perhaps brighten it further.

Dashui on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    Don't think that's what being shown in the marketing stuff as the full extent of the game.

They're trying to sell the game to people who aren't already sold on Bioware games and showing bits like this is just one way of doing it.

Endless dialogue trees are like golf, some people might like to watch it, but it puts the vast majority of people asleep unless they're actually playing the game themselves.
    Point taken, but that only goes so far. "The New Shit" trailer is obviously part of that kind of marketing, but I think it's also fair to say that the mere inclusion of a character like Subject Zero is indicative of a wildly different (and, in my personal opinion, abhorrent) tone and approach to the game as well.

1) juc's a developer

2) you're an idiot

Nuzak on
    edited September 2009
    3) Crazy girls are the best lays

4) I wonder what Miranda and Natalie will say if you ask for a threesome

Robman on
    edited September 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »

1) juc's a developer

2) you're an idiot
    I'm an idiot for not liking something? Or not knowing that some antonymous former avatar was a developer?

Anyways, developers should be glad for both positive and negative feedback instead of a circle jerk. I didn't know he was a developer, but the fact stands that trailers are all about communicating what a game is.

My apologies to juc if I've come off as a little too brash or anything, I respect Bioware a lot as a developer. Still, being told to wait to buy the game to see what it's like, even in terms of tone, isn't very encouraging.

Darlan on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, to get things straight so far we have...

Miranda - Tits Mcgee
    Jacob - Black guy
    Grunt - Wrex v2.0
    Thane - Space Ninja a.k.a "The Chest"
    Subject Zero - Crazy Natalie

Dragkonias on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Miranda - Tits Mcgee
    Jacob - Black guy
    Grunt - Wrex v2.0
    Thane - Space Ninja
    Subject Zero - Natalie Portman

Subject Zero is Nipples McGee.

or Nipples McGoo if you prefer not to have two McGee's

Buttcleft on
    edited September 2009
    I really want a Shepard option that's basically Dr House

With a MD in Murdering Dumbasses

Robman on
    edited September 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Miranda - Tits Mcgee
    Jacob - Black guy
    Grunt - Wrex v2.0
    Thane - Space Ninja

We already have one with a tits reference. I prefer Natalie Portman, or Crazy Natalie.

Dashui on
    edited September 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    I really want a Shepard option that's basically Dr House

With a MD in Murdering Dumbasses

Now I just had an awesom vison of House, in Blood Dragon armor, standing next to his enemy, his cane pressing down on the persons throat, with a pistol's laser sight right between the guys eyes.

" I told you it wasn't lupus *pulls trigger, kablam* "

Buttcleft on
    edited September 2009
    That and him going out with Miranda and Jacob

"We need some more credits, Miranda flirt with the shopkeeper while Jacob steals his inventory"

Robman on
    edited September 2009
    That and him going out with Miranda and Jacob

"We need some more credits, Miranda flirt with the shopkeeper while Jacob steals his inventory"

Only if he mentioned the fact that Jacob should have a natural penchant for thievery since he's black.

And of course, later on reveal that he had a juvie record for theft.

Buttcleft on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought we had already agreed that Thane's name was 'The Chest' and Grunt was Urdnet Wrox.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2009
    (bottom paged)

1) juc's a developer

2) you're an idiot
    I'm an idiot for not liking something? Or not knowing that some antonymous former avatar was a developer? He even said "they're trying to sell the game..."

Anyways, developers should be glad for both positive and negative feedback instead of a circle jerk. I didn't know he was a developer, but the fact stands that trailers are all about communicating what a game is.

My apologies to juc if I've come off as a little too brash or anything, I respect Bioware a lot as a developer. Still, being told to wait to buy the game to see what it's like, even in terms of tone, isn't very encouraging.

Darlan on
    edited September 2009
    Grunt is like a younger version of Wrex, pre-betrayal and much less wise

Robman on
    edited September 2009

Miranda - Tits Mcgee
    Jacob - Black guy
    Grunt - Wrex v2.0
    Thane - Space Ninja

We already have one with a tits reference. I prefer Natalie Portman, or Crazy Natalie.

Yeah, but i think the tits reference is better for the girl who actually has nearly naked boobs, instead of some chick with space silicon implants.

Buttcleft on
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It makes sense - she's the prototype for E-Z biotics and she went fucking crazy because they fucked her head open.

Subject Zero as River from Firefly CONFIRMED!

EddieDean on
    edited September 2009
    Subject Zero's new name will be 'Takyris' thing on the side'

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

" The one Taky tries to get his wife to Cosplay as "

Buttcleft on
    edited September 2009
    EddieDean wrote: »
    It makes sense - she's the prototype for E-Z biotics and she went fucking crazy because they fucked her head open.

Subject Zero as River from Firefly CONFIRMED!

River was a boring character who is the perfect example of why Joss Whedon isn't nearly as clever as he thinks he is

Natalie looks nothing of the sort

Robman on
    edited September 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

" The one Taky tries to get his wife to Cosplay as "

The one his wife gets him to cosplay as.

The_Scarab on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

1) juc's a developer

2) you're an idiot
    I'm an idiot for not liking something? Developers should be glad for both positive and negative feedback instead of a circle jerk. I didn't know he was a developer, but the fact stands that trailers are all about communicating what a game is.

the facts were separate. i wasn't pointing out juc was a dev to say "be super positive" i was pointing out that he knows about the marketing efforts and how well the demonstrate the actual game- so, he's more informed

and you're coming across as kind of an elitist, you know, "what are they doing to my game" based off one <1min character bio that doesn't gel with you so much

Nuzak on
    edited September 2009
    Subject With A Designation That Is Below One Therefore Breaking All Common Naming Conventions For Scientific Research And Development Thus Proving Once Again That BioWare Writers Prefer Style Over Substance.

The_Scarab on
  • FrontierPsychiatryFrontierPsychiatry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    People and scientists use 0 as the first index all the time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_case

FrontierPsychiatry on
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will throw my completely unnecessary opinion in that I share Darlan's sentiments and will probably leave SuZy in the ship all the time. Except maybe for a full-on renegade femshep run.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    I put the two side-by-side just for the heck of it.
    ME2-SZ-Natalie.jpg

Dashui on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    we have a match. Crazy Natalie it is

VoodooV on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Natalie jumped on the shave your head and forget to take your medication bandwagon as well at some point?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    Natalie jumped on the shave your head and forget to take your medication bandwagon as well at some point?

It was for a movie. It was also kind of hot. D:

Dashui on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh, oh!

I was wondering if that was becoming a thing.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    Oh, oh!

I was wondering if that was becoming a thing.
    Only if playing fugitives in future dystopian London is a thing now.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.