As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cloudy [Chat] Calculator

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have very little faith left in the police. To the point that I will assume any police officer I encounter is intent on actively harming me.

japan on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Abdhyius wrote: »

I'm just saying the police are actually trying in theory to minimize harm.

Substantiate your claim.

They're using batons instead of shotguns

They can't get away with shotguns.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    our military police does riot training

I have no idea why, because first of all I'm not really sure if it's legal to employ the armed forces against our own citizens, and second of all, because it'd be fucking lunacy

The tactic was basically drop a shitload of CS gas, fix bayonets, hold your breath and close your eyes, and keep marching forward no matter what your bayonet gets caught on

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009

I'm just saying the police are actually trying in theory to minimize harm.

Substantiate your claim.

They're using batons instead of shotguns

They can't get away with shotguns.

...because in theory they're supposed to not harm people more than necessary.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I have no idea why, because first of all I'm not really sure if it's legal to employ the armed forces against our own citizens, and second of all, because it'd be fucking lunacy

The tactic was basically drop a shitload of CS gas, fix bayonets, hold your breath and close your eyes, and keep marching forward no matter what your bayonet gets caught on

D:D:D:

Maybe riots in foreign countries, a la Rules of Engagement?

edit: Also I am apparently an idiot. I didn't notice the 'in theory' bit. Carry on!:oops:

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2009

D:D:D:

Maybe riots in foreign countries, a la Rules of Engagement?

Maybe so. Still, a pretty fucking bad idea.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gim wrote: »
    time for a shower?

*activates webcam*

HEDGEHOGS GONE WILD

$9.99/mo

and

you'll receive this copy of Young Girls Making Poor Decisions absolutely free!

skippydumptruck on
    edited September 2009
    All I'm saying is that the police, even in the US, isn't the geheime staatspolizei and have limits as to what they're allowed to do

And not all of them are schweine to be tossed firebombs and rocks at as much as possible

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    All I'm saying is that the police, even in the US, isn't the geheime staatspolizei and have limits as to what they're allowed to do

And not all of them are schweine to be tossed firebombs and rocks at as much as possible

have you read the sheriff joe thread

Rust on
    edited September 2009

Yeah, again, I misread the post. I agree, and sorry!

edit: Sherrif Joe should have rocks tossed at him.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2009
    Rust wrote: »

gimme the cliff notes version

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sheriff Joe is horrible.

He is every cowboy cop boss hogg stereotype given flesh, not to mention power hungry and corrupt.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2009

While this may be true, four out of the five interactions I've ever had with the Police in the UK involved me being detained, searched, and/or threatened with violence. I'm just going with the established pattern here.

japan on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

Imagine, the worst, most corrupt, most hick-esque, most ugly, most authoritarian, most stereotypical police sheriff.

THis is Sheriff Joe.

Nerdgasmic on
    edited September 2009

it doesn't really contradict your point but it basically describes how the authorities in arizona prey on anti-immigrant sentiment to turn the state into a banana republic

long story short they're not prosecuted in part because they've got enough ordnance to start a small-scale war, their boss sheriff joe owns a tank

the united states has a social environment that makes those situations a matter of time rather than a disturbing exception to the rule

Rust on
    edited September 2009
    japan wrote: »

While this may be true, four out of the five interactions I've ever had with the Police in the UK involved me being detained, searched, and/or threatened with violence. I'm just going with the established pattern here.

Yeah then you're probably some kind of gay desperado-addict

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009

from wikipedia:
    During the summer of 2003, when outside temperatures exceeded 110 °F (43 °C), which is higher than average, Arpaio said to complaining inmates, "It's 120 degrees in Iraq and the soldiers are living in tents, have to wear full body armor, and they didn't commit any crimes, so shut your mouths."[24] Inmates were given permission to wear only their pink underwear.

One of Arpaio's most visible public relations actions was the introduction of pink underwear, which the Maricopa County Sheriff's website cites as being "world famous."[28]

Arpaio subsequently started to sell customized pink boxers (with the Maricopa County Sheriff's logo and "Go Joe") as a fund-raiser for Sheriff's Posse Association. Despite allegations of misuse of funds received from these sales, Arpaio declined to provide an accounting for the money [29].

Arpaio's success in gaining press coverage with the pink underwear resulted in him extending the use of the color. He introduced pink handcuffs, using the event to promote his book, Sheriff Joe Arpaio, America's Toughest Sheriff.[30]
    [edit] Underwear march

In 2005, nearly 700 maximum-security prisoners were marched the four blocks from Towers Jail to the newly opened Lower Buckeye Jail, wearing only their underwear and flip-flops, nominally to prevent the concealment of weapons. Prisoners were strip-searched when they left Towers Jail and again when they reached their destination.[31]

"It's a security issue," Arpaio said. "If you let them wear their clothes, they can conceal the fake keys and everything else.[32]
    [edit] Webcasts of pretrial detainees

Starting in July 2000, the Maricopa County Sheriff's website hosted Jail Cam, a 24-hour Internet webcast of images from cameras in the Madison Street Jail, a facility which processed and housed only pretrial detainees. The stated goals of the broadcasts were the deterrence of future crime and improved public scrutiny of jail procedures. The cameras showed arrestees being brought in handcuffed, fingerprinted, booked, and taken to holding cells; with the site receiving millions of hits per day.[33] Twenty-four former detainees brought suit against the Sheriff's office, arguing that their Fourteenth Amendment rights of due process had been violated.

U.S. District Court Judge Earl H. Carroll held in favor of the former detainees, issuing an injunction ending the webcasts. By a 2 to 1 vote, a three-judge panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the injunction, with the majority opinion stating:

... Second, Sheriff Arpaio argues that the cameras are justified by the County’s interest in having its pretrial detention centers open to public scrutiny. We have given prison officials wide latitude in administering pretrial detention facilities, in guaranteeing detainees’ attendance at trial, and in promoting prison safety. But we fail to see how turning pretrial detainees into the unwilling objects of the latest reality show serves any of these legitimate goals. As the Supreme Court has recognized, "nmates . . . are not like animals in a zoo to be filmed and photographed at will by the public or by media reporters, however ‘educational’ the process may be for others.[34][35]

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What's the best deal for smartphones? Like, if I were to get a Pre or Android phone or what have you which network rapes my wallet the least?

moniker on
    edited September 2009
    But since US law enforcement isn't the Gestapo this sheriff joe isn't a model officer and you should merely have him shot

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009
    japan wrote: »

Yeah then you're probably some kind of gay desperado-addict

The four were me being "randomly" stopped under sweeping powers granted to Strathclyde Police to deal with knife crime. The fifth was some polisman at my door because my next door neighbour's car got broken into.

japan on
    edited September 2009
    But since US law enforcement isn't the Gestapo this sheriff joe isn't a model officer and you should merely have him shot

I like the cut of your jib.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2009

these days most u.s. cops dream of being able to get away with shit that easily

Rust on
    edited September 2009
    I'm serious, somebody shoot this guy

it's clearly the easiest way to solve this problem

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

The best way would for him to be tried.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    What's the best deal for smartphones? Like, if I were to get a Pre or Android phone or what have you which network rapes my wallet the least?

Sprint is a little cheaper than AT&T. $5-10 a month.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2009
    Am I a bad person for the small amount of sadistic joy I get from news of globalization protesters being brutalized?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited September 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    Am I a bad person for the small amount of sadistic joy I get from news of globalization protesters being brutalized?

Probably.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2009

Yes.

japan on
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

but that's expensive and takes a looong time

this is more cost and time effective

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009
    Sarksus wrote: »

Sprint appeared to be closer to $70 or $100 dollars, not $5.

moniker on
    edited September 2009

Nah.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

So you're saying that the US criminal justice system should operate like the Gestapo?

moniker on
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

So you're saying that the US criminal justice system should operate like the Gestapo?

:lol:

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2009

We're all bad people.

moniker on
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

Only against its own officials.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

Only against its own officials.

you should probably cool your jets, the amount of forced edginess in this thread is reaching critical mass

Rust on
    edited September 2009

Sprint appeared to be closer to $70 or $100 dollars, not $5.

It's $5-10 cheaper a month than AT&T.

Sarksus on
    edited September 2009

Probably.

I can live with being a little bad, I suppose.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not the best way

The best way would for him to be tortured.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited September 2009
    Richy wrote: »
    Not the best way

The best way would for him to be tortured.

:lol:

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.