As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Survey On] Planetside 2

BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
http://www.questionpro.com/akira/TakeSurvey?id=1368989

What would you like in a new Planetside.

I said players.

steam_sig.png
Basticle on

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I said fuck those goddamned cookie-cutter bases. Outdoor fights are better.

Garthor on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2009
    Garthor wrote: »

My best memories of Planetside were taking a mobile base out and setting it up with mines and turrets and then watching players teleport in and move on from there. Best "shit yeah, I'm doing My Part!" moment for me.

Echo on
  • Options
    Thirty-3Thirty-3 [E] robcd Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    My best memories of Planetside were taking a mobile base out and setting it up with mines and turrets and then watching players teleport in and move on from there. Best "shit yeah, I'm doing My Part!" moment for me.

My best memories of Planetside were hacking those mobile bases and either getting rid of them of turning them to my faction.

And knifing snipers in the back.

Thirty-3 on
  • Options
    skorchskorch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thirty-3 wrote: »

My best memories of Planetside were hacking those mobile bases and either getting rid of them of turning them to my faction.

And knifing snipers in the back.

My best memories were sniping stealthers trying to knife me or my buddies in the back.

skorch on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

Would you like to know more?

[] I'm doing my part!
    [] Learn more!

The only good part of bases, was the top side. Jump jetting over the walls in my max armor and cutting loose before they realized I was there was good times.

Morkath on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't do it much, but one of my favorite moments was sneaking up on a sniper, planting a boomer, and blowing him to hell. Also double galaxy hotdrops as the MAX. And bombing runs in the Lib. And blasting through forests being chased by mosquitos and reavers in the big faction deathbuggies. And chasing groundpounders in a mosquito or reaver.

I miss Planetside.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I said the lattice system needs to die. The game was so much more fun in the beta pre-lattice.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I didn't do it much, but one of my favorite moments was sneaking up on a sniper, planting a boomer, and blowing him to hell. Also double galaxy hotdrops as the MAX. And bombing runs in the Lib. And blasting through forests being chased by mosquitos and reavers in the big faction deathbuggies. And chasing groundpounders in a mosquito or reaver.

I miss Planetside.

I used to love flying around in a mosquito taking down reavers, until I was chasing one low to the ground through a forest, and a goddamn land mine blew me up somehow even though I never touched the ground.

Called bullshit and never flew in that game again.

It's been awhile since beta, pre-lattice didn't everyone just run around looking for undefended bases? If I remember correctly the lattice system actually made people fight to capture bases.

Morkath on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Organizing a 15-20 Liberator bombing run and completely clearing out a courtyard.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    I said the lattice system needs to die. The game was so much more fun in the beta pre-lattice.

No, it was terrible. There was no meaningful fighting, just a circle-jerk of backcapping.

The one exception is when one faction gets completely locked out of the continent the other two are fighting on, and then can't do jack shit because there's nobody to fight. That sucks.

Garthor on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arkady wrote: »

No, it was terrible. There was no meaningful fighting, just a circle-jerk of backcapping.

The one exception is when one faction gets completely locked out of the continent the other two are fighting on, and then can't do jack shit because there's nobody to fight. That sucks.

How do you define meaningful? I got into plenty of squad on squad fights just roaming around taking everything in the general area. If by meaningful you mean the retarded useless zergs that happened after lattice was introduced and never stopped happening while anything smaller basically died out hen sure. Ok.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Meaningful as in the fight had any effect on anything in the game whatsoever. You might fight another squad over a base but oh hey ten minutes after you cap it someone else has already taken it.

If you don't like huge battles, the logical answer is "more lattice links", not "destroy the lattice system".

Garthor on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The huge battles were so amazing and fun and laggy in the beta. There were huge army vs army battles in some zones, pushing each other back and forth for hours. If PlanetSide wasn't so laggy for me when it first game out, it would of been my favoritest game ever. Besides those cheap tank suit people that would shoot automatic lock on missles.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Get the Warhammer 40k IP.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Holy crap this right here. Dibs on the dreadnought certification.

Speece mahrines vs orkorkork

I am leery of a third side being in ps2, since it tended to fragment the fights/lopsided population. On the plus side you did occasionally get those epic 3 way battles.

Morkath on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

You tug my heartstrings, sir.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've had so many amazing times in this game, it's hard to pick ones that stand above the rest. They're all awesome!

Becoming on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

This right here. The idea of a Warhammer 40k MMORPG remains the most retarded thing ever.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man Kooleagle and I had some good times in this game. Running around in Mag's raping infantry and aircraft alike. Always loved those cocky reaver pilots who would hove right in front of me to spam missiles, only to find themselves on the recieving end of a rail slug throught the crew compartment.

I think what I loved most was the whole combined arms aspect of the battles. Something I hope they build on.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dropships are the best

Having three full dropships going towards a target, full of buddies, and then one of the dropships explodes

Really ups the tension

Gumpy on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I also typed Warhammer 40K <3

They need to get that IP and...

...yeah that's it really. I would buy that game in a heartbeat.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I missed out on Planetside. Sounds like it could be a great stepping point for Planetside 2, if they learn from their lessons and mimic some advancements made by other mmo's. The stories sound awesome.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I also typed Warhammer 40K <3

They need to get that IP and...

...yeah that's it really. I would buy that game in a heartbeat.

It makes so much frigging sense it will never happen. Hell, even the sides right now are similar (with weapon/vehicle design) to the factions in Warhammer. NC=Imperial guard, TR=Ork and VS=Tau.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    God I fucking LOVED Planetside. I <3 tank combat, and shotties, and the power armor was super sweet. DIE MONKEYS DIE, VANU SOVEREIGNTY SHALL RISE ABOVE!

VSbanner.jpg

Edit: My brothers were part of this outfit that was together for years, most of them moved on to Eve online and they play in the same Corp. They even invited people down to Florida for this big thing so my brother met a bunch of the people they played with. He even got this snazzy looking award. They were the Nighthawks or something like that. The one that went down was a pretty sweet pilot.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vanu for life.

PlanetSide was the best. I am still waiting for the next MMOFPS. There are too many awesome battles to remember. Gal drops, basement fights, tower-to-base, 3-ways, bridge battles. It goes on and on..

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You'd think someone would have come out with another major shot at an MMOFPS since 2003 (planetside release), but nope! I think people (investors, directors) saw Planetsides dwindling numbers and thought "k, FPS in MMO form is no good". They can not have realized just how amazing Planetside was in spite of all the flaws it suffered. And at launch there were many flaws.

I think that a properly executed MMOFPS could be amazing.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    theres tons of MMOFPS's out there but they're mostly Korean.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    You'd think someone would have come out with another major shot at an MMOFPS since 2003 (planetside release), but nope! I think people (investors, directors) saw Planetsides dwindling numbers and thought "k, FPS in MMO form is no good". They can not have realized just how amazing Planetside was in spite of all the flaws it suffered. And at launch there were many flaws.

I think that a properly executed MMOFPS could be amazing.

I was actually crushed when I heard that the major announcement for Starcraft was that they were doing Starcraft 2, and not a MMOFPS based on the franchise.

Nobody on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I fucking loved piloting in that game. I would LOVE going max speed, 5 feet off the ground constant to avoid being seen and rolling through hills and mountains and come in right to a base, let people out, then boom back out for another run.

Man, that was sweet. I loved the idea for Planetside and there were quite a few battles that were epic, I'd love for them to find that balance to keep it that way. WHen I played the population was pretyt low and it was about to get spread thinner with the underground expansion pack I never played.

But Vehicles + dropping in squad mates + returning for more mates = glorious even though I didn't get shit for points for doing that.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Basticle wrote: »
    theres tons of MMOFPS's out there but they're mostly Korean.

No, there's plenty of free to play Arena shooters with shitty rpg elements. The only other MMOFPS in existence is WW2 online.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Crush the Barneys and the Smurfs! Might equals Right

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Terran Republic represent. Fuck your shotties and alien weaponry. We have bullet.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Elmos and your 50 billion lock-on warnings.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Planetside was fun for awhile but no matter how epic the fight all the work would be gone the next day when you logged in. That was my main problem. You can get mindless FPS in Halo and other regular console FPS. To be called MMO you need to have a more complex system than just a massive assault style map.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yay for surveys. I noticed there wasn't a field where I could rate how gay BFR's are.

Edit: It's more than one page. You better believe I ripped on BFR's in the free write sections. Also put in a plug for using/aquiring the WH40K license. It would be so easy for them to take that franchise and print money if they used the Planetside framework. But on the other hand, this IS SOE we are talking about here. They would be just as liable to take that awesome potential and channel it to create a homosexual zombie prostitute.

Also, screw all you Barneys and Smurfs. I hate your stupid Shotguns and Lashers. Though, you better believe whenever I killed a Smurf I would take their Lasher off their corpse. That gun was so rediculous.

bejeavis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    My enemy weapon collection was my pride and joy. You're damn sure to play carefully when you only have a few boxes of lasher ammo around.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    bejeavis wrote: »
    Yay for surveys. I noticed there wasn't a field where I could rate how gay BFR's are.

Edit: It's more than one page. You better believe I ripped on BFR's in the free write sections. Also put in a plug for using/aquiring the WH40K license. It would be so easy for them to take that franchise and print money if they used the Planetside framework. But on the other hand, this IS SOE we are talking about here. They would be just as liable to take that awesome potential and channel it to create a homosexual zombie prostitute.

Also, screw all you Barneys and Smurfs. I hate your stupid Shotguns and Lashers. Though, you better believe whenever I killed a Smurf I would take their Lasher off their corpse. That gun was so rediculous.
    At least Lasher takes SKILL, unlike some Chaingun spray or JH spam. (I am half joking)

Oh boy, that's an old flame-fest if ever there was one.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The lasher used to be one of the worst guns in the game at early launch

it went back and forth between too good and not good at all in the beta as well. Much like the lancer, which used to work as a long range sniper, anti vehicle and anti infantry all in one :)

When I left the game the balance was pretty decent though

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah Lancer was quite fun to have in field battles. Once you got the hang of it the versatility might have been a little overpowered.

True snipers were very annoying in PS though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Here's hoping they have the sense to reign in every sociopathic shithead on the battlefield having an orbital strike.

Wasn't much motivation to do some of the shit team support jobs like driving an AMS when some jackass in a stealth suit would blow it up via satellite 30 seconds after you deployed it.

I had such a love-hate relationship with Planetside. I've got some great memories, but I quit in disgust when they added kill tracking and it started feeling a lot more like some retarded death match game.

That was the worst expansion I've ever seen a MMO get, too.

s3rial one on