As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - Release date set for January 26, 2010. 29 January in Europa.

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    takyris wrote: »
    EddieDean wrote: »
    My favourite part of the whole Quads meme is how the term 'Quads' was never mentioned in the actual game. It was mentioned that Krogans have four testicles, and somehow we as a culture decided that the slang term for four balls is 'Quads'. Furthermore, it's perfect.

Actually, that was my fault. I made a joke about it, and people took me more seriously than I had intended in terms of it being canonical and in the game.

Oh, I was talked to about that at work, believe you me.

I wonder what that was like

"Hey could you drop by my office to talk about Krogan balls? We don't like the term "Quads" Perhaps we could go with "The mighty foursome" or "Wrexnuts"

Khavall on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "I've called this meeting of writers mainly to solidify our stance on Krogan testicular terminology."

The_Scarab on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The fact that there's a stance at all legitimizes the continued existence of this thread.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited September 2009
    We all know that somewhere, deep in the dark corners of BioWare towers a concept artist, while on break from his toil, has had an image pop into his mind so awful and obscene that he had to sketch it out on his wacom just to get it out of his head.
    This image file, perverse and corrupted, festered on the BioWare servers for days, weeks. Burning a hole clean through the circuitry with its pure evil. One day, some new writer is hired and gets given his login. He spends the first couple of hours messing about on his PC, familiarizing himself with the networks and then BAM. He double clicks an obscure and unassuming jpeg file and a portal to hell opens up in the skies above Edmonton.
    Quads. All that they gasp is 'Quads' before being torn into a million particles by the gaping maw.

The_Scarab on
  • KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cronus wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    You guys should do a preview with Rock Paper Shotgun, they are wise sages in an ocean of online filth

That is an excellent description sir. I'd like to see RPS interview Taky. Specifically about Subject Zero and Shepard and Shepard and every other female in ME2. Also quads.
    John Walker should do it. That way the probability of a question involving full frontal Krogan nudity will be maximized.

Kanamit on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm starting to get a 'Mass Effect 2: The Warrior Within' vibe from all these XTREME squadmate reveals.

JihadJesus on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I'm starting to get a 'Mass Effect 2: The Warrior Within' vibe from all these XTREME squadmate reveals.

We were only shown three companion videos so far out of ten possible companions. I don't know if I'd call Grunt or Thane really XTREME, either. Grunt likes fighting, sure, but that's kind of given considering he's a Krogan. Outside of a few battle cries we don't really know much about him. And Thane seems fairly spiritual.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Grunt is like a younger version of Wrex, pre-betrayal and much less wise

See, I don't get that, because this team is supposed to be the best of the best, so why would he get someone not as good as Wrex?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

See, I don't get that, because this team is supposed to be the best of the best, so why would he get someone not as good as Wrex?

Because maybe he shot wrex 80 times with a shotgun in the face?

Khavall on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dashui wrote: »

We were only shown three companion videos so far out of ten possible companions. I don't know if I'd call Grunt or Thane really XTREME, either. Grunt likes fighting, sure, but that's kind of given considering he's a Krogan. Outside of a few battle cries we don't really know much about him. And Thane seems fairly spiritual.

Naw. Subject Zero has all the generic rage that the Prince had, plus the costume that Shahdee had. A connection is only natural. So clearly, the second act should be about puppies and rainbows just so the third and final act can crush them beneath the Jackboots of Expectations.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited September 2009
    I don't think there were any F-bombs in ME1 either.

The_Scarab on
    edited September 2009

Naw. Subject Zero has all the generic rage that the Prince had, plus the costume that Shahdee had. A connection is only natural. So clearly, the second act should be about puppies and rainbows just so the third and final act can crush them beneath the Jackboots of Expectations.

Well yeah, but he was speaking in plural terms. Subject Zero's personality is definitely XTREME, but I don't know if I'd classify the others that way just yet. We really don't know much about everyone.

Although Thane is XTREMELY awesome. Ha ha ha... ha ha... ha...

D:

Dashui on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shepard is a horrible person, confirmed. You're not supposed to encourage the psychotic street urchin that follows you around like a puppy. That's what villains do.

"Here, let me validate your existence by rough housing with you and listening gravely to your concerns. Good girl! Now go rip those bad men limb from limb."
    murder murder murder
    "...D'awww. Look at her go."
    "You just want her along in case you need someone to babysit a nuke again."
    "Yup."

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You're on the fringes of the galaxy, fighting a threat that could wipe out all life in the universe. I don't care if it's an asshole Krogan, a crazy lady, or a dog with sawblades for legs, I'm putting it on my team and sending it at the bad guys.

l337CrappyJack on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Has 'babysit the nuke' entered the popular lexicon yet? If not, it should.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Maybe Wrex is smart enough to not go on a suicidal mission ?

Egos on
    edited September 2009
    Egos wrote: »

Maybe Wrex is smart enough to not go on a suicidal mission ?

To be honest, I don't think suicide missions pay that well either. I mean, you put the cash in escrow but you never seem to be able to collect.

The_Scarab on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Commanding Officer: Shepard, we have to get a team together...

Shepard
    : I see , so we want the best and brightest then?

Commanding Officer: That would be ideal, but the best and brightest usually aren't keen on dying. You see instead we have divy up your potential party into three groups.

Group A
    : Those who may considered the best and brightest but will probably betray you last minute to save their own ass.

Shepard: I see...

Commanding Officer: Group B consists of people who have a fetish for death so to speak. They got off on it in a kinky sort of way...

Shepard
    : Thats ok ... I guess

Commanding Officer: Group C is just a bunch of violent morons who will follow any order you give them.

Shepard
    : Sounds Awesome . Just making sure I will get laid on this mission, correct Sir?

Commanding Officer: It wouldn't be a proper mission if you didn't, Shepard. You little go-getter you.

Egos on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    At this point I am leaning more towards Garrus probably being in the game than not. He would balance out this roster well, not to mention tying it in with people who played the first (which is probably 90 percent of everyone who will buy ME2). Not to mention the possibility of Grunt being an idiot and Garrus having talks with him about Wrex, or something like that.

Urian on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Won't happen. Garrus is either out on his own or working for C-Sec, and C-Sec certainly wouldn't let one of their best officers go gallivanting off to the far ends of the galaxy on a suicide mission.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

more like BiowEAr amirite

I'm imagining EA political officers stationed in the writers' offices in Edmonton, staring over their shoulders, hitting them on their knuckles with rulers and shouting "MORE EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME!"
    Seriously, I think the game is going to be great. But harping on a character like Sub Zero is just too much fun not to do.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I don't think there were any F-bombs in ME1 either.

I think there was one 'shit'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    takyris wrote: »
    EddieDean wrote: »
    My favourite part of the whole Quads meme is how the term 'Quads' was never mentioned in the actual game. It was mentioned that Krogans have four testicles, and somehow we as a culture decided that the slang term for four balls is 'Quads'. Furthermore, it's perfect.

Actually, that was my fault. I made a joke about it, and people took me more seriously than I had intended in terms of it being canonical and in the game.

Oh, I was talked to about that at work, believe you me.
    Cronus wrote:
    That is an excellent description sir. I'd like to see RPS interview Taky.

Or, alternately, somebody important!

You are important.

To me.. In my heart, Taky

Stay with us Taky. Forever. And Ever. And EVER.

:winky:

Phoenix1985 on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you're gonna earn an M rating with PG-13 sex, then you may as well throw in R language at no additional cost.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CONFIRMED (by FOX news) : ME2 nothing but gay-alien-sex simulator that teaches our young to cuss and take advantage of the mentally unwell! And violence!

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Phoenix1985Phoenix1985 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    deowolf wrote: »
    CONFIRMED (by FOX news) : ME2 nothing but gay-alien-sex simulator that teaches our young to cuss and take advantage of the mentally unwell! And violence!

The SexBox strikes again. Only a proper conservative assault on the shores of immorality will save your children D: Unless they've already been given Halo ADHDOST.

Phoenix1985 on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you're gonna earn an M rating with PG-13 sex, then you may as well throw in R language at no additional cost.

And was it really PG-13 or was it E for Everyone? I couldn't tell.

BlackDove on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Where's the Thane video?

Lux on
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thane was introduced in another fashion.

Nartwak on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    We all know that somewhere, deep in the dark corners of BioWare towers a concept artist, while on break from his toil, has had an image pop into his mind so awful and obscene that he had to sketch it out on his wacom just to get it out of his head.
    This image file, perverse and corrupted, festered on the BioWare servers for days, weeks. Burning a hole clean through the circuitry with its pure evil. One day, some new writer is hired and gets given his login. He spends the first couple of hours messing about on his PC, familiarizing himself with the networks and then BAM. He double clicks an obscure and unassuming jpeg file and a portal to hell opens up in the skies above Edmonton.
    Quads. All that they gasp is 'Quads' before being torn into a million particles by the gaping maw.

Nuzak on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »

And was it really PG-13 or was it E for Everyone? I couldn't tell.

Didn't Tube just yell at you for doing this in the Arkham thread? Yes, it was very much PG-13, unless you can point me to the shelf of all the PG movies with a pair of nude characters having non-explicit onscreen sex.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited September 2009
    The point here is more that the thing was neutered, not so much what it's actual classification is, since the game carries an M anyway.

With Batman, it's more technical.

BlackDove on
  • DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    i finally just watched this and i too add my vote for this to be the end credits theme.

http://www.yooouuutuuube.com/v/?rows=18&cols=18&id=zSgiXGELjbc&startZoom=1

That song is so catchy...I mean first time I heard it I didn't care for it. But I listened to it again and I was like "Woah."

When I showed this to my friend at work, his corporate firewall went off so it's a good possibility that this sites not safe. Unless someone knows it's safe.

edit - this is very laaaaaaaaattttttteeeeee.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Burden of Proof on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    The point here is more that the thing was neutered, not so much what it's actual classification is, since the game carries an M anyway..

Neutered because...what? Could you not tell what they were doing?

The scene shows exactly, and without any coy fade-to-black ambiguity, that your character and another character have had a bit of consensual sex before going into battle, as a consequence of the choices you the player have been making throughout the game. In an interactive medium, that's the important takeaway from the scene; you said and did X, so now Y has happened.

There are lots of reasons to show sex in a story. Sometimes it's important to the machinery of the plot - Jack Bauer was in bed with the assassin chick at the moment the president was shot! Sometimes it illustrates an important facet of a character, like when an asshole shows their tender and nurturing side in bed. Sometimes visual media show it because it can be visually beautiful, and sometimes it's just there to shock or titillate.

So in this case, if it's important to the character that Shepard is really into bondage, then maybe we should have seen that; but it's probably not important in this case, so we didn't, and blue CGI boobs don't really fit my criteria for visually beautiful or titillating, either. Now, there's nothing wrong with wanting more - god knows I curse every wasted opportunity for Elizabeth Shue to have gotten topless - but it's important to recognize and admit that the unfulfilled desire for titillation is particular to you the viewer rather than reflecting badly on the scene or the people who made it.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Boobs

Like many people have said, there's still what - 7 slots left for some KOTOR style characters?

Robman on
    edited September 2009
    Personally I'd agree with the fact that showing full on sex and humping can actually take away from a scene. Taking the Watchmen film as an example, while it's fantastic that you get to see Malin Åkerman's tits, and watch her simulate fucking, the entire scene takes far too long and is far too inconsequential to the plot to be of any narrative use. That we got to see her ass, hoorah, but all the while I was watching that scene, I was thinking "Yay, her ass looks great... can we get on with the story now?" In the narrative of that film and that overarching story, the "Dork wants to fuck a hot girl that was previously engaged to a dude that is the king of all dudes" sidestory is very minuscule and unimportant to the bigger picture, to get such an expose.

The point with Mass Effect's "sex" scene being all wrong can be approached from a few different positions. One could be that it was completely unnecessary, another is that the scene was far too mild and had a "whimpering" effect on what was supposed to be a climax of a cerebral and mutually understanding relationship between two characters, with awful cringe-worthy writing accompanying of the "For 4/5ths of the game I was totally respectful and courteous to you, but now that I got to do the nasty evil unGodly and heathen deed with you (and we must judge the deed on the precepts of religious morals, apparently, because SEX IS SHOCKING AND FILTHY AND OBSCENE), I am completely switching character to the" and here's the punchline - "Raawrrrrrrr Tiger".

So let's recap. You give me the tools of dialogue to advance a human to human (or alien) relationship, then you give me a scene worthy of a Disney film to climax the end result (for whatever reason - ratings or otherwise) with the end-total culmination being that the entire "quest" is ultimately completely ignored as it is (obviously) completely irrelevant to the overarching narrative. After the scene, no one ever speaks of it, and it's as if it never happened.

But even if we go into the topic of what was shown and what was not shown. It's really that what was NOT shown reflected on how the entire matter was handled. I think the catchword is "Tasteful" these days, that the scene was "tasteful" and done in good measure, or in other words "we did not offend anyone's morals, religious or otherwise, by showing two humans or human-alikes having that nasty obscene thing that we all do privately as a species".

As far as I'm concerned, It wasn't "tasteful", not one aspect of it. It was castrated, as the whole thing, before the sex, the sex, and the aftermath of the sex are done "tastefully" to the point where it defeats the entire purpose of doing it.

I don't know. Maybe I was the only one having problems with it.

I don't necessarily think that getting Ashley to scream "YES, YES SHEPARD, STICK IT IN MY ASS!" during the scene (as we're shown the entire act of switching) would have brought much to the entire thing, but it would certainly personalize the culmination of the relationship in a better way than "rawrrrrrrr tiger" does.

I think with regards to that it is a game, it's the interactivity that kills it to a degree as well (or the lack of addressing the fact that the narrative is interactive). That you took on the "Quest" to get the "sex scene" or to get the "romantic relationship" and that there wasn't any real payoff for it in the end. The scene that was SUPPOSED to be the payoff, wasn't much of a payoff of anything at all.

Maybe it's that. Maybe it's because the whole thing is meant to be a "quest reward", the reward being "rawrrr tiger" leaves a lot to be desired.

BlackDove on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I killed the whiny human engineer guy and never talked to the annoying scientist chick, so my female shep never got any love :(

there should have been a special achievement for maintaining my chastity

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited September 2009
    Boobs

Like many people have said, there's still what - 7 slots left for some KOTOR style characters?

And we still don't know anything other than very broad information about the three shown. People throwing little fits about tiny combat trailers of each character are, in my opinion, acting a bit silly. All I really know about Grunt from that trailer is that he, well, grunts. Thane is spiritual and has a great chest, not too much to really work with yet. And Subject Zero is... hardcore... but we still don't know her story. I'm also going to take the word of the few developers here saying she is quite well written and not get too worried.

Of course, I'm sure we'll see plenty of complaining here and/or elsewhere until release. People like to jump the gun. I'm just advocating a little patience.

Anyway, what's with all the big posts on sex in the games? I didn't think the scenes in the first game were a big deal, and I don't think they'll differ too much in the sequel.

Dashui on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyway, what's with all the big posts on sex in the games?

because it is a discussion forum and people enjoy discussing things

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu