As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Convert desktop too wireless ethernet bridge?

DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
Would it be possible to take an old computer I have laying around and converting it to a wireless ethernet bridge? Basically I'd have a wireless card or USB dongle on the PC to connect to my home network and share the internet with other devices (namely my blu-ray player) via ethernet.

Google tells me that most laptops are quite capable of this and many linksys routers can be hacked to serve in this function. However I can not really find much mention of what to do with a desktop computer.

I'd prefer any solutions presented be applicable to Linux or FreeBSD but I could also use Windows XP.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
Dritz on

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I believe that Windows has a "share your internet connection wirelessly" option somewhere; I know that OSX does.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like it is possible after searching quite a bit. Most people seem to go with modified routers. Taking power usage into consideration I'm now thinking I may be better off picking up a cheap router. I would hope to eventually use my old PC as a NAS anyways but that's probably pretty far off.

I do have a Macbook right now which I've been able to share it's wired connection wirelessly (with a DS). Can't quite figure out how to do it the other way around for my blu-ray player though.

Dritz on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dritz wrote: »
    Most people seem to go with modified routers. Taking power usage into consideration I'm now thinking I may be better off picking up a cheap router.

The router will pay for itself and then some when you consider how little power they use compared to a PC. I think most of them use 10 watts or less, and it'll be smaller and quieter than a PC.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can actually buy any cheap router that does wireless bridging without the hassle of the computer. Dedicated wireless bridges are even cheaper. This one is $30: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817201523 A few reviewers use it to connect 360s to a wireless network.

This one is cheaper, smaller and claims it can do more than just bridge: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320025R No reviews, so this would be a shot in the dark.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks sorry if I missed the page you're quoting from. I think I'll get my hands dirty and customize a router rather than buying an actual bridge. Although I only need one ethernet port now it's possible I might want another in the future.

Dritz on