As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roman Polanski: he made a thriller

Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
Hope this hasn't been posted already, but:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8277176.stm
Film director Roman Polanski has been taken into custody on a 31-year-old US arrest warrant, Swiss police say.

Mr Polanski, 76, was detained on Saturday as he travelled from France to collect a lifetime achievement award at the Zurich Film Festival.

The Swiss justice ministry said he was being held ahead of a possible extradition to the US for having sex with a 13-year-old girl in 1977.

Mr Polanski fled the US in 1978 after pleading guilty to the charges.

In recent years, he has tried to have the rape case dismissed, but a US judge formally rejected his requests in May.

Mr Polanski was initially indicted on six counts and faced up to life in prison.

He claims the original judge, who is now dead, arranged a plea bargain but later reneged.

Earlier this year, Judge Peter Espinoza agreed there was misconduct by the judge in the original case, but said Mr Polanski must return to the US to apply for dismissal.

Mr Polanski's lawyers said he would not return to the US because he would be immediately arrested as a fugitive.

The victim at the centre of the case, Samantha Geimer, has previously asked for the charges to be dropped, saying the continued publication of details "causes harm to me, my husband and children".

She has also called the court's insistence that Mr Polanski appear in person "a cruel joke".

The Swiss justice ministry said on Sunday that Mr Polanski was being held under a 2005 international alert issued by the US government related to a 1978 arrest warrant.

He will not be sent to the US until extradition proceedings were complete, the ministry added.

He can contest his detention and any extradition decision in the Swiss courts.

The Paris-born Polish filmmaker - who is also a French citizen - has not set foot in the US for more than 30 years. He has even avoided making films in the UK for fear of extradition.

His Oscar for directing the 2002 The Pianist was collected by Harrison Ford, who had previously starred in his 1988 thriller, Frantic.

France's culture minister said he was "dumbfounded" by Mr Polanski's detention in Switzerland.

Frederic Mitterrand said he "strongly regrets that a new ordeal is being inflicted on someone who has already experienced so many of them".

He added that French President Nicolas Sarkozy was "following the case with great attention and shares the minister's hope that the situation can be quickly resolved".

The organisers of the Zurich Film Festival said Polanski's detention had caused "shock and dismay," but that they would go ahead with a planned retrospective of the director's work.

A special ceremony is planned for Sunday night "to allow everyone to express their solidarity for Roman Polanski and their admiration for his work," festival managers said in a statement.

Honestly, it seems about time to me. He's never actually served time for the rape, and the only real gray area in the case is the issue of the judge reneging on a plea bargain. It seems incredibly stupid for all these people to come rushing to his defense when the fact of the matter is that he's a fugitive from justice. The idea put forward that he's somehow paid for his crimes because he had a hard life (Sharon Tate, being a Holocaust survivor) is similarly unconvincing. Thoughts?

Ed321 on

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I was just coming here to post this. Here's the CNN story.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/27/zurich.roman.polanski.arrested/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

It's going to be an interesting process to get him extradited and then server a sentence for a 30 year old crime.

JustinSane07 on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just think it sucks.

NotASenator on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Honestly, it seems about time to me. He's never actually served time for the rape, and the only real gray area in the case is the issue of the judge reneging on a plea bargain. It seems incredibly stupid for all these people to come rushing to his defense when the fact of the matter is that he's a fugitive from justice. The idea put forward that he's somehow paid for his crimes because he had a hard life (Sharon Tate, being a Holocaust survivor) is similarly unconvincing. Thoughts?

I concur.

I would ordinarily be swayed in a statutory rape case by the ostensible victim's call for the charges to be dropped, but in this case the reasons she gives are not that what he did was not wrong, but rather that pursuing the case has taken a toll on her and her family's lives.

The French come off looking like complete toolboxes by rushing to fawn over him.

MrMister on
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MrMister wrote: »

I concur.

I would ordinarily be swayed in a statutory rape case by the ostensible victim's call for the charges to be dropped, but in this case the reasons she gives are not that what he did was not wrong, but rather that pursuing the case has taken a toll on her and her family's lives.

The French come off looking like complete toolboxes by rushing to fawn over him.

Yeah, whilst it's hard to celebrate the idea that he might actually pay for what he did- since it'll inevitably cause more pain for the victim and her family, we'd never get any accused rapists to trial if we just concluded it would be too hard on the victim.

Ed321 on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If he's already plead guilty should there even be a trial? Shouldn't he just get sentenced and booked?

I don't really see how the victim should have to be involved in that if she doesn't want to.

Duffel on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So they invited him over to give him a prize and then they arrested him? :lol:

We should try this with Bin Laden. We'll give him an Emmy for best documentary and then THUD.

Aldo on
  • Mazer RackhamMazer Rackham __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Hell, it's about time.

Mazer Rackham on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Caught by the Swiss even. That has to sting.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited September 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    If he's already plead guilty should there even be a trial? Shouldn't he just get sentenced and booked?

I don't really see how the victim should have to be involved in that if she doesn't want to.

He could still appeal the conviction.

Ed321 on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What about the statute of limitations? Is there one with statutory rape?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thirith wrote: »
    What about the statute of limitations?

That isn't applicable here.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How old was he when he had sex with the 13 year old?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2009
    Heir wrote: »

I think he was 30-something? Could be wrong.

Ed321 on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Heir wrote: »

It wasn't just consensual sex, though. There is a difference between statutory rape and actual rape. He gave her champagne mixed with Methaqualone and then raped her. She said no several times, so there is no ambiguity on that front either.

Just putting things in perspective.

TeaSpoon on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Plus she was 13, there's a difference between an 18 year old having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend and a 30 year old guy having sex with a 13 year old girl.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow. That took a while.

I wonder how he's still been well respected and employed in the film industry despite him having confessed to this crime over 30 years ago.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Plus she was 13, there's a difference between an 18 year old having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend and a 30 year old guy having sex with a 13 year old girl.

also he drugged her

nexuscrawler on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He was 44 too, not 30 something.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This guy did something illegal, admitted he did something illegal, then gave everyone the middle finger and fled for 30+ years.

Whether they find him guilty, not guilty, or dismiss the case entirely, Polanksi needs to stand before the judge. This "cruel joke" business from the victim is just bullshit; he didn't have the right ignore our legal system, and he still doesn't.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »

This. Without even taking the drugs into consideration, this isn't healthy nor should it be legal.

Then drugged her? Wow...

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So why is anybody supposed to express support for this guy? He committed a crime and attempted to flee so he didn't have to face the consequences. Successfully avoiding being captured does not give a person the right not to face his sentence.

Couscous on
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

There's a bit more gray to it than that. There have been allegations that the prosecutor was coaching the judge.

setrajonas on
    edited September 2009
    setrajonas wrote: »

There's a bit more gray to it than that. There have been allegations that the prosecutor was coaching the judge.
    Which is why god created appeals.

Couscous on
    edited September 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Which they're doing now.

setrajonas on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Which they're doing now.

You can't appeal without surrendering

nexuscrawler on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    Wow. That took a while.

I wonder how he's still been well respected and employed in the film industry despite him having confessed to this crime over 30 years ago.
    Artists can do some crazy whacked out shit and still be revered.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know Celine Dion's manager had a thing for her when she was 14.

And he was like 45 or something back then.

I don't know if they 'consummated' their relationship until she was legal or not but what I'm saying is no one talks about that shit.

I mean, on the one hand he got it on with a minor.

On the other hand it was 3 decades ago and I haven't heard anything about him molesting anyone else. Also the 'victim' is pretty much like 'kay guys even *I* moved on, can't you'?

Couldn't he just do a PSA or something? Pay a seven figure fine?

I don't know.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Couldn't he just do a PSA or something?

"Hello. I am Oscar winning international filmmaker Roman Polanski here to tell you:

Underage Poon Tang is a Bad Thang."

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know Celine Dion's manager had a thing for her when she was 14.

And he was like 45 or something back then.

I don't know if they 'consummated' their relationship until she was legal or not but what I'm saying is no one talks about that shit.

I mean, on the one hand he got it on with a minor.

On the other hand it was 3 decades ago and I haven't heard anything about him molesting anyone else. Also the 'victim' is pretty much like 'kay guys even *I* moved on, can't you'?

Couldn't he just do a PSA or something? Pay a seven figure fine?

I don't know.

He drugged and raped a 13 year old and punishment in these things isn't about what the victim wants.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited September 2009
    On the other hand it was 3 decades ago
    So?
    I haven't heard anything about him molesting anyone else
    SERIOUSLY? Well, it is OK because he hasn't raped anybody else.
    Also the 'victim' is pretty much like 'kay guys even *I* moved on, can't you'?
    No, the victim is more like
    That same month, Samantha Geimer filed to have the charges against Polanski dismissed from court, saying that decades of publicity as well as the prosecutor's focus on lurid details continues to traumatize her and her family.[38]

Couscous on
    edited September 2009
    David_T wrote: »

"Hello. I am Oscar winning international filmmaker Roman Polanski here to tell you:

Dude, he raped a person.

Couscous on
    edited September 2009

It wasn't the prosecutor in the case. The deputy district attorney (who wasn't involved in the case) and the judge had conversations about the case and sentencing.
    In one encounter, Mr. Wells told Ms. Zenovich “I was privy to almost everything that went on in that case.” At one point the deputy said he counseled the judge on sentencing. At another, he described prodding Judge Rittenband with a photograph of Mr. Polanski, then on bail, in the company of two young girls at an Oktoberfest celebration. “Look here. He’s flipping you off,” Mr. Wells said.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited September 2009
    So?
    That same month, Samantha Geimer filed to have the charges against Polanski dismissed from court, saying that decades of publicity as well as the prosecutor's focus on lurid details continues to traumatize her and her family.[38]

Okay let me rephrase:

The victim has tried to move on but the press just won't let her.

So it's GREAT that this case is still being pursued even to the detriment of the person raped.

Kagera on
    edited September 2009
    So?

Okay let me rephrase:

So it's GREAT that this case is still being pursued even to the detriment of the person raped.
    So what you're saying is, we should let criminals go because it's hard for the victim? Brilliant.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    David_T wrote: »

Dude, he raped a person.

And the idea of him doing a PSA about how people shouldn't do that is funny.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited September 2009
    So?

Okay let me rephrase:

There was also a financial settlement between Polanski and the victim. Do you really want to establish a precedent that a person can be convicted of rape, flee justice, pay the victim off, and then have the whole thing go away because the victim requests it?

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The issue is that he drugged and raped a child and then ran out of the country to avoid getting punished for it. If he wasn't a millionaire/director/celebrity this wouldn't even be a question for most people, but making movies apparently gives people some leeway. The press can cover this without focusing on the lurid and graphic details that are bothering the victim; that doesn't mean the prosecution itself shouldn't go through.

Most trials of a significant weight (rape, murder, whatever) are pretty excruciating for the victims and their families but we still do it because we have to.

Duffel on
    edited September 2009
    So?

Har, why don't you quote the bits you're leaving out?
    In a 2003 interview, Samantha Geimer said, "Straight up, what he did to me was wrong. But I wish he would return to America so the whole ordeal can be put to rest for both of us." Furthermore, "I'm sure if he could go back, he wouldn't do it again. He made a terrible mistake but he's paid for it".

In 2008, Geimer stated in an interview that she wishes Polanski would be forgiven, "I think he's sorry, I think he knows it was wrong. I don't think he's a danger to society. I don't think he needs to be locked up forever and no one has ever come out ever - besides me - and accused him of anything. It was 30 years ago now. It's an unpleasant memory ... (but) I can live with it."

setrajonas on
    edited September 2009
    This is gonna turn into a debate over the purpose of imprisonment I just know it.

Kagera on
    edited September 2009
    Yes. Trials and the justice system do not exist solely for the victims.

Couscous on