As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E PbP] Scales of War Part 1: Rescue at Rivenroar-(OOC thread)

TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost punsThe Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Critical Failures
Scales of War Chapter 1: Rescue at Rivenroar

Intro.jpg
"The armies that today march across the fields and mountains of the world will tomorrow be forgotten, as will we all. But do not fear the progress of history, nor give up in today’s fight, for our efforts are far from futile. Instead, prepare your sword and shield and stand against the tide that threatens to overwhelm our lands. For though you and I may be forgotten in the years to come, what we do today will echo through the ages and determine the fate of all those who follow in our footsteps." - Amyria

Chapter 1: Rescue at Rivenroar
The world has never been a safe place. Bastions of civilization populate a dark, menacing world—islands of order and reason exist in a land otherwise overrun by dark cults, vile monsters, creatures from the dark edges of the imagination, and worse. As deadly as the world is on a normal day, something has begun to stir on the fringes of the civilized Elsir Vale (southwest of Nentir Vale). Formerly the site of an attack by an army known as the Red Hand, the Vale has known several years (50 years to be exact) of peace since brave adventurers stormed into the teeth of the approaching Hand and sent them scurrying back into the darkness. But the peace of Elsir Vale has been shattered. Goblinoids and bandits ravage the roads; A massive orc army is building up in the Badlands close to the Dwarven city of Overlook; and sinister schemes unfold in the shadows, awaiting for Elsir Vale’s (and soon the world’s) destruction. Now the land of Elsir Vale finds itself once more in need of brave heroes willing to come to the aid of their people.

Introduction:

This is a recruitment thread for a campaign of 4th edition of Dungeons and Dragons, for a party of five 1st level PCs.

This will be my first time DMing a PbP game. I ask that you please pardon my surely unavoidable errors and spelling mistakes (English was not a major of mine), and I shall endeavor to be the best DM I can be.

Anyone may post an application, but precedence will be given to new players,especially players not currently involved in any other PbPs (1 PbP is okay, but don’t expect to get picked if you’re playing in more than 1 PbP), and players who have not played the Scales of War Adventure Path before. If you fit any of these criteria, please say so in your application post. In addition, anyone with experience as a DM and who would be willing to provide me with a little advice and guidance are particularly welcome.

The Particulars:

Standard setup. This is a play by post game; character sheets on Myth-Weavers (if you already have a completed character sheet on Orokos, that’s fine too). Rolls on Invisible Castle (or once again, should IC throw a hissy fit, use of Orokos’s Dice roller is fine too). I, TiamatZ, will be the DM. PCs' minimum post requirement is the usual one per day. Habitual unexplained failures to post will result in your character being ejected from the campaign.

Please submit a level one character created with the 22 Point Buy system. Maximum submissions are one per person (so choose/design carefully).

Submission should include the standard stuff: a link to the sheet (Myth Weavers or Orokos), the character's name, a picture of your character, personality traits, mannerisms and appearances, background, the why and how he/she came to the town of Brindol, and lastly, the CB summary stuff.

For your character, pretty much any official DnD 4th edition material is acceptable (supplement books, Dragon articles, etc.), except with regards to the race and class (see Character Backgrounds and Feats section below). Be prepared to post technical info if I request it.

Deadline: Deadline is October 3 at 5PM (GMT +0) [ 7 PM at my time (GMT +2)]. Expect the game to begin sometime in the following week (9th October at best), in a new tread if possible (an OOC/IC Thread at best).

Plans for the Campaign
To ease myself into the DM's seat, I intend to start the campaign by playing through SOW chapter 1 first, though not necessarily by the book (looking at it, I might change a few things). What happens next will be determined by how Rescue at Rivenroar went. If it was a great success, then we’ll continue with SoW Chapter 2: Siege of Bodrin’s Watch in a few weeks time after we finish Chapter 1 (or in a month maximum). So think of Rescue at Rivenroar to be like the pilot episode to the series (that is Scales of War) or the 1st Chapter to the Trilogy that is Scales of War (Heroic Tier will be considered the 1st book).

Character Backgrounds and feats:

Races Allowed (Those not listed are banned):
- All PHB 1 and 2 races
- Genasi (FRPG), Githzerai (Dungeon 378), Minotaur (Dragon 369) and Wilden (DDI) are allowed.

Classes Banned from campaign:
All classes are okay, with the exception of all Playtest Class Articles:
- Monk
- Psion
- Hybrid rules and Characters

and DDI Exclusive Classes:
- Assassin

(Reason for all these changes is: I’m personally not familiar with Playtest Articles or the world of Ebberon (which means stuff like it's races, houses, dragonmarks etc.). Genasi make an excellent 'planar' race (in a sense that they are a rare kind to see), and Minotaurs are an overall rockin' race. Also, the Githzerai are native to this campaign/world, and I wanted to add Wilden cause of them being a ‘newcomer’ race as stated in their racial profile.).

Backgrounds:
Players may choose general backgrounds (those from the PHB 2 and Power books) and from the Scales of War ones. No Forgotten Realms or Eberron backgrounds.

The campaign will take place in the 4th edition “points of light” setting (AKA the generic setting found in DMG 1). Your PC may hail from anywhere in the setting, like perhaps from one of the towns of Nentir Vale (most famous of towns there include Fallcrest, Winterhaven and the dwarven town of Hammerfast), or from Elsir Vale itself (notable landmarks include the cosmopolitan dwarven city of Overlook and the town of Brindol).

As for choice of dieties, the standard generic gods may be chosen (e.g. Raven Queen, Pelor, Melora, Avandra etc.)

Players retain their 100gp, but gain the adventurer’s kit, as well as any level 1 magical item of their choice (that’s 360 gp worth) absolutely FREE.

Also all characters are required to have first names and last names. Come on people, be creative :mrgreen:.

Other stuff: (FAQ)
Why Brindol, specifically?
Race Scarcity
General background on Scales of War?
Final listing and chosen submissions

Edit: Updated the submission date by 3rd October (instead of the 9th October)

TiamatZ on

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Warforged are pretty easy to divorce from Eberron, I think, and they really flesh out a campaign. You might be surprised at how well they work if you reconsider.

Edit: Usually as many as you want, adventfalls, but you can only get a mechanical benefit from one.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Never gotten to play, so I'm curious- how many backgrounds is a character allowed?

EDIT: Not familiar. Mechanical benefit = receiving any benefit?

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll be subbing a character. I'm currently DM'ing the Dungeon Delve game here, and have no experience with Scales of War. Not sure on a class yet, but I'm thinking controller or striker.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Probably going to roll a Pally. No experience with Scale of War, and actually never played D&D.

adventfalls on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Never gotten to play, so I'm curious- how many backgrounds is a character allowed?

EDIT: Not familiar. Mechanical benefit = receiving any benefit?

Correct. So you can be a Scorned Noble Magic Scholar who was Born Under a Bad Sign, but you can only take a single background benefit total.

also, 4E is so perfect for people new to DnD... have fun!

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Update: I'll be subbing a Malediction Invoker, speaking the words of his God to punish his enemies!

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I will be submitting...something. Probably a Barbarian, unless everyone submits a striker, in which case I'll submit one of the less full roles.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    LafajetLafajet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll state my interest and throw something up when it's not the middle of the night here.

Lafajet on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I got a a rouge or maybe a warlord. I'll see what I can roll up with.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I got a a
    rogue
    or maybe a warlord. I'll see what I can roll up with.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I got a a
    rogue
    or maybe a warlord. I'll see what I can roll up with.

Typing too fast while watching Football and looking at the Assassins in D&D Insiders. I know they wouldn't be in this game, but I soooooo want to make one some day.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm in! I'm not playing in any PbP's, though I am DMing one currently ('The Vathirond King') and I've been hoping to have a chance to game a bit as a player.

I always play strikers, and there's no Assassin's for me to try out, so let's try something different... Gnome Bard, perhaps? Yes I do think that might just work. I'll try to get it up in a day or so.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How do you feel about a hybrid character?

Basically he has a level 1 at will fighter power, level 1 at will ranger power, level 1 encounter ranger power, level 1 daily fighter power.

The concept is the elven warrior archetype. Proficient at range or melee using a longsword and short sword combo with a longbow for range. He gets to mark creatures with a fighter mark and he can use hunter's quarry on targets.

http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1169

Here are stats if you would like to see. If this is allowed I'll whip up a story for him.

illgottengains on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Couldn't sleep:

William 'Chocolate' Harris, Gnome Bard

Character:
    Personality:
    Confident in all circumstances, no matter how far into Hell things have descended. Slippery and sneaky and tricky. Brash and playfully arrogant. Consummate lady's man.

Appearance:
    William struts through life with his chest out and head high as though he's 10' tall despite knowing full well he's barely 1/3 that. Everyone's friend and no-one's enemy in his heart, though the various husbands of the planes who's wives he has made acquaintance of take a slightly different view of him. He's 3'5", 55lbs, swimmer's build with auburn hair and a thin goatee over a constant smirk and wicked brown eyes.

Background:
    William 'Chocolate' Harris, Will or Bill to his friends, Sweet Milk Chocolate to his lady friends. He is a Gnome on a mission: Become the most famous adventurer who has ever lived, travel the lands, meet exotic people, either bed or slay most of them, and have a rollicking good time that he can tell stories of throughout all the bars and taverns of the land until the barkeep chases him into the streets for welshing on his tab. He accepts all challenges and never backs down from a fight, though he has on occasion been known to tactfully remove himself from a fight to continue it at a time later agreed upon after undergoing rigorous training and study and possibly slipping a sedative into his opponents breakfast and therefore winning by default as his terrified opponent fails to even show. The world is his oyster, and he fully intends to crack it wide open.

There was no real reason for William to Brindol this evening. He had heard the rumors about the invasion force and the marshalling of forces in Overlook, but such things have little interest for him; William is more for the single or troupe adventures, full-on armies and invading hordes simply aren't his thing. But regardless, the front lines are always ripe with adventure, with intrigue, with action, and with grieving widows. And if you're near the front lines, there's no better place to spend an evening than a fine tavern like the Antler and Thistle.

susan on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Basically he has a level 1 at will fighter power, level 1 at will ranger power, level 1 encounter ranger power, level 1 daily fighter power.

The concept is the elven warrior archetype. Proficient at range or melee using a longsword and short sword combo with a longbow for range. He gets to mark creatures with a fighter mark and he can use hunter's quarry on targets.

Here are stats if you would like to see. If this is allowed I'll whip up a story for him.

Oops! How stupid of me. I forgot Hybrid rules were Playtest too. I'll update the OP to put Hybrid in the Playtest Articles area.

However Ill, I'm willing to let you reroll a new character if you want.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    illgottengainsillgottengains Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aww. All the powers are from PHB1 and Martial power :p

hmm what else... Been wanting to try a wizard out for a while now... hmm hmm

illgottengains on
  • Options
    squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've never played PbP before but my game group is still playing mostly 3.5 and we've only done a bit of 4e so I've been thinking about joining a PbP for a while.

Therefore if positions in the party are still free I offer up the young wizard Natasha Kaliva
    Personality: Usually very practical and wise but willing to forgo wisdom for greater entertainment. Not very assertive. Despite her practical nature she rarely reigns in the naiveness of friends preferring to take quiet amusement from their efforts.

Her mostly uneventful journeys so far and her desire to see and do more than she has been have turned her into more of a risk taker than she normally would be.

Appearance: Natasha is 5'9'', 145lbs, and of lithe build. Her hair is deep red and her eyes are green. She is playful and bouncy around friends but somewhat reserved around strangers. A loyal and caring friend to all she wields her magic with flare and grace.

Natasha's Cloud of Daggers swarms after her enemies like a school of piranhas whilst her Phantom Bolt resembles a flaming eagle. When Lost in thought she often twirls her small orb around, magical sparks trailing from it.

Background: Raised in a remote mountain village not far from a small dwarven settlement Natasha has been a free spirit since her earliest childhood. Living close to the dwarves she picked up their language as well as a grudging respect for their stoic nature. Fascinated by all things magical she was tutored by a reclusive old mage named Ilfreed who lived nearby. Driven by a burning desire to see what's over the next hill she's left her village to explore the world and the planes beyond it. Her magical Orb was a birthday gift from old Ilfreed however so far it hasn't been put to much use. Since leaving her village over a year ago she's wandered from town to town, taking odd jobs to earn some coin but her travels have been mostly uneventful and now she's looking for some true adventure. With the diamond day celebrations near, Natasha has travelled to the town of Brindol for a some inspiration, some loyal companions and a good party. Despite her practical nature her boredom is getting the better of her and right now she'll take any offer for a little action, no matter how dangerous.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    As far as powers go, do you have anything against powers from PH Heroes: Series 1?

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TiamatZ wrote: »

Oops! How stupid of me. I forgot Hybrid rules were Playtest too. I'll update the OP to put Hybrid in the Playtest Articles area.

The Assassin isn't actually playtest, just to let you know. Its a DDI exclusive class. So if you're waiting for it to come out in a book before you become familiar with it, you'll be waiting a while.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    InkSplat wrote: »

The Assassin isn't actually playtest, just to let you know. Its a DDI exclusive class. So if you're waiting for it to come out in a book before you become familiar with it, you'll be waiting a while.

That's true, but I view that the assassin is still a new class that came out, and as such will still (probably) receive it's erratas in due time. Also, even with the monk and assassin removed, there's still 6 strikers to choose from, so that's quite enough of a selection IMO (when you compare it to 5 leaders, 4 defenders and 3 controllers).
    As far as powers go, do you have anything against powers from PH Heroes: Series 1?

If it's in the Character Builder, then it's legal as far as I know.
    Just remember to give a description of the power if your using Myth-Weavers.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ok, the powers are in CB. I'm using Orokos. How many application can we submitted?

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think only one ^_^;;

adventfalls on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ash Summer, Fighter

Picture:
    WildShifter.jpg

Background:
    Ash Summer is got her name from a legend told by her people. It said that a princess would be born under an eclipse when darkness would bring fire to her people. She would have nothing and be raised far from her kind to one day return to end the darkness that plagued not only the Shifters, but everyone in the world. She was born in the summertime, during a solar eclipse. Orces had raided her village. Her mother was in labor with her at the time. The longtooth Shifters, her father included, fought to protect Ash and her mother. But the Orces were too strong. The village burned under the eclipse. No one survived, except one crying babe. The Orces moved on, everything was burned, there was nothing of value to them here. As they left, a small group of adventurers came upon the remains. Zelda Waters, a razorclaw shifter, found the babe in the arms of her mother's corpse. Zelda knew of the legend and named the babe after the hero told in it, Ash. "From the ashes of the summer light, the phoenix will rise to burn the darkness away."

Ash grew up fast and strong. She became a tomboy, very much like Zelda. She loved to travel and meet new people. But she learned that danger was always around. Ash studied swordplay and how to defend with it. She was taught that she must never start the fight. She must end them. She grew fond of duel wielding, as it gave her more ways to fight. But her happy days would soon end.

Zelda was getting up in her years. Although she loved to travel, her body couldn't make the trip like it use to. So Zelda and Ash left their group in settled in Brindol. Ash took care of her until Zelda died in her sleep. Ash stayed in Brindol, as she had no other place to go. But her desire to travel and the legend that surrounds her birth consumes her, making living there harder each day.

Personality:
    Ash loves to travel. She loves to meet new people along the way. She carries with her a small journal of her adventures and loves to draw. She believes in teamwork and tries her best to protect the people she cares about the most, Everyone. Although Ash knows about the legend, she doesn't believe that she is the hero from it. However, since Zelda's death, Ash has felt like that the legend might hold her future in its hands, and she is hoping that it will not let her go.

I took the Birth Under a Bad Omen background. It lets me use my highest stat to determent my HP.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    About surnames -

Do you want an actual surname? Or would a title given at birth (or as a coming of age ceremony in a tribe or race) count?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Marc Soban, Human Paladin

Portrait
    quinn.png

Background
    Marc’s childhood was uneventful. His parents were neither rich nor poor, but there was one remarkable thing about him- he knew how to fight. When he turned 16 he struck out on his own, wanting to see the world. He became a hired sword, one who would take work if the price was right.

Three years later, he found himself crossing a large desert running dangerously low on water. He tried to carry on to a nearby oasis, but his thirst got the better of him. He blacked out from the heat and his thirst, certain he would perish.

When Marc awoke however, he found himself lying before an oasis and saw a white Dragonborn, an angel. The angel told Marc that he was looking at a servant of Avandra, goddess of change, freedom, and luck. Alec was then told that Avandra had been watching him, and that he would ensure Marc’s safe passage through the desert. In exchange, Marc would pledge to worship her.

Two months have since passed. Marc now goes wherever his feet take him, hoping that Avandra will lead the way. His feet have now brought him to Brindol, where Diamond Day is about to be celebrated. Marc has now decided to at least enjoy the festivities...

Personality
    When shit hits the fan, he keeps a cool head. If you get him angry however, he will unleash a torment of rage upon you. Otherwise, a gentleman who values his word and the occasional bit of fun, and one who will pull out all the stops not to break a promise.

CB Summary
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Marc Soban, level 1
    Human, Paladin
    Build: Avenging Paladin
    Background: Touched by an Angel, Found Religion Among Others (+2 to Religion)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 14.

AC: 20 Fort: 16 Reflex: 14 Will: 14
    HP: 28 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Heal +6, Endurance +2, Religion +7, Insight +6, Intimidate +7, Diplomacy +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -4, Arcana, Bluff +2, Dungeoneering +1, History, Nature +1, Perception +3, Stealth -4, Streetwise +2, Thievery -4, Athletics

FEATS
    Human: Student of Battle
    Level 1: Alertness

POWERS
    Bonus At-Will Power: Forbidding Strike
    Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands
    Paladin at-will 1: Ardent Strike
    Paladin at-will 1: Holy Strike
    Paladin encounter 1: Radiant Smite
    Paladin daily 1: Paladin's Judgment

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Plate Armor, Heavy Shield, Magic Longsword +1, Holy Symbol
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Took the 'Touched by an Angel' background. Again, never played D&D, much less the Scales of War path.

adventfalls on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Need another player? I'm only in one pbp at the moment.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Pretty sure the sign-ups are still going. Go nuts, everyone else has.

adventfalls on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I must ask, as I know nothing about this setting: What is Rivenroar?

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Presenting...

Ethan Filborne, Human Invoker of Ioun

Background
    ...And on that night, a child shall be born to those pre-determined. And He Who Knows All Knowledge will mark him, and he shall do the work of Him here.

Born in Winterhaven, Ethan Filborne was marked at birth by Ioun, the symbol of the God ever present on his chest. He spent his childhood pursuing knowledge, which wasn't difficult with how close his family was to cities like Hammerfast. The libraries were his second home during his childhood.

On his 18th birthday, Ioun finally approached Ethan in a dream. The God told Ethan that he had been marked for a purpose, and invested in him the power to stop those who defy the spread of knowledge. Vested with the power of Ioun himself, Ethan set out, bound to follow in Ioun's will.

His first stop was Brindol. He wasn't sure exactly what Ioun wanted him to accomplish here, but he was determined to find out.

Personality and Mannerisms
    Ethan is nice enough, but somewhat reserved. He is also very smart, having spent so much time seeking knowledge in his childhood, but he lacks the ability to apply his knowledge. He's not always sure what to do with the things he's learned, and this has caused him some trouble before.

Appearance
    Ethan is fairly unremarkable for a human. He has medium length black hair, and dark brown eyes. He stands nearly 6ft tall, and looks to be fit. The biggest physical mark on him is the large mark of Ioun on his chest, which has been there since his birth. It looks similar to a tattoo, but instead of ink it is a part of his skin.

I took the Birth: Prophecy background. I'll have a picture up here later.

Also, I'm in 2 pbp games here, Forward Guard, and Hunters, and am DM'ing the Dungeon Delve game.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Character:

CB
    Reth Stillwood, level 1
    Human, Sorcerer
    Spell Source: Dragon Magic
    Dragon Magic: Dragon Soul Fire

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 10, Dex 14, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 10, Dex 14, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 14.

AC: 12 Fort: 13 Reflex: 13 Will: 16
    HP: 28 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Intimidate +8, Arcana +6, History +6, Diplomacy +8, Bluff +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +2, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance, Heal +1, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +1, Stealth +2, Streetwise +3, Thievery +2, Athletics +2

FEATS
    Human: Arcane Reserves
    Level 1: Arcane Familiar

POWERS
    Sorcerer at-will 1: Burning Spray
    Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost
    Sorcerer encounter 1: Tearing Claws
    Sorcerer daily 1: Chromatic Orb
    Human: Acid Orb

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Magic Staff +1, Fine Clothing, Thieves' Tools

Background:
    Reth's life has been an interesting one. He was born on a normal bright sunny day. Nothing eventful was happening, except that the town was being attacked by a red dragon. The town was chaos, people running, buildings on fire, everyone saying they were doomed. The local guard were either already dead or fleeing for their lives. Meanwhile, Reth's mother was birthing him with the help of his father.

Trynt, a local crazy old man (or so the town thought) faced the dragon, arcane energy flying from his hands. Trynt fought the dragon as the people of the town watched, shocked and awed. The dragon fell, dead, it's blood pooling all around it.

At that moment, Trynt heard the scream of newborn baby and moved quickly. He snatched Reth from his parents and pulled a dagger from his robes as he brought the babe to the dragon corpse. He cut open it's chest and put the babe underneath the sudden torrent of blood. Some in the town screamed, others cried, but nobody tried to stop him.

Trynt handed the blood covered infant back to his parents. "Raise him well, for he will be powerful," He said, and vanished, teleporting away never to be heard of in that town again.

Reth's parents took him and moved to another small town, trying to forget the incredible event. They couldn't hide it forever though, for Reth was always different. His eyes were red, and he could do things others could not. He felt an energy within him. Reth grew too big for the small town and left to travel, to understand why he was different. Before he left, his parents told him what they knew. He has since been a wanderer. He knows what he is but he doesn't know why Trynt did what he did and constantly wonders.

Now, Reth continues to wander. He has found he has a natural ability to socialize with just about anybody. He despises normal work and so in whatever city he finds himself, has begun disguising and pretending he's a lord from far off, making friends with nobles, and then stealing from them whenever possible, though he's found that he's not nearly as good at stealing as he is at talking. He also enjoys using his arcane abilities, and will gladly do so to aid others if there is some sort of reward.

Phew. Didn't really expect to write so much. Idea's just kept coming.

Looks
    He only wears his fine clothes when he's low on money and has a scheme. For the most part, he wears common clothes. He has short brown hair, is clean shaven, average height and weight and some but not that much muscle definition. The only odd thing about him is his piercing red eyes.

Edit:
    Mythweaver's sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=156884
    Also has familiar info. A red dragonling named Drach.

Image for Token: http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/805/c61/805c617b-7634-41de-8023-6f701df1332b

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I must ask, as I know nothing about this setting: What is Rivenroar?
    Castle Rivenroar:
    The castle itself and its catacombs housed the Rivenroar family (living and deceased) long ago. Some other local families of note used the catacombs as a place of interment as well. These families and the Rivenroars had more than one thing in common, but now only those who know what they’re looking at as they journey through the catacombs can figure it out: a reverence for Vecna. Now the castle and the catacombs house a much different set of inhabitants than those who built it long ago might have envisioned.

Basically it's the location where the PC's would go Dungeon Crawling. Looking at all the encounters and room placements of the place, I feel that with a lot more effort from my side (and changing a few encounters) the place can become a lot more memorable for the PC's first adventure.
    Need another player? I'm only in one pbp at the moment.

Of course, Submissions end at Friday 9 October at 5PM (GMT +0) time.
    Do you want an actual surname? Or would a title given at birth (or as a coming of age ceremony in a tribe or race) count?

If his/her surname is based on a title given at birth or cause (e.g. Falls-From-Grace) or from a tribe (e.g. Stormtalon clan) then go for it. I just didn't want single named heroes is all.

Also posting a list of current submissions (as of today):

Leaders:
    William 'Chocolate' Harris, Gnome Cunning Bard (susan) Post

Controllers:
    Natasha Kaliva, Human Orb Wizard (squishy-blob) Post
    Ethan Filborne, Human Malediction Invoker of Ioun (kuhlmeye) Post

Strikers:
    Reth Stillwood, Human Dragon Sorcerer (Cheeseliker) Post

Defenders:
    Ash Cylcrest, Longtooth Shifter, Wildblood Warden (dresdenphile) Post
    Ash Summer, Longtooth Shifter, Tempest Fighter (samurai6966) Post
    Marc Soban, Human Avenging Paladin (adventfalls) Post

Wow, only 1 striker?o_O
    Then again, it's still early days yet...

Edit: also, just remember to fully update your character submissions with backgrounds, pic etc. AND why he/she came to the town of Brindol.

A number of hooks can be given:
    - Overlook is looking for adventurers to help stave off the coming orc invasion, and Brindol is a halfway stop to Overlook.
    - Brindol celebrates each year the Diamond Day. It's a holiday that was granted in honour to the original heroes of the Red Hand of Doom (The Diamond League Heroes in this setting). When your hero arrives to Brindol, it's the eve of Diamond Day (night before Diamond Day starts). Perhaps your hero would want to see the celebrations.

These are merely 2 of the hooks given to you, though you may use them if you want, but it's all up to you.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Holy crap. 1 striker, 2 controllers, 3 defenders? The world's ending.

Barbarian inc tomorrow when I'm at work (2-5 pm EST). Minotaur or Dragonborn, TBD.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    And 1 Leader! But yeah, that's an... interesting spread. Lotsa Humans, too. *shrug* I'm sure statistics will bite us in the a** as a dozen Strikers get dropped over the next couple days.

Quick question: How detailed and full should our Backgrounds be in explaining how we came to the town? Mine's pretty short and general; I'd honestly not mind fleshing it out a bit more, as this character's fun to think about (and I'm sure I can make it better if I'm not writing it at 1am) and probably will expand regardless, but is there anything specific you're looking for other than the basics? Like winding up in a specific tavern or running into a specific NPC or the like? Limitations do breed creativity.

susan on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmmm... I had an illusionist that I was going to throw into the mix tonight, but maybe I should pull out something else. Decisions, decisions.

The scarcity of races is interesting too. Four humans? And my illusionist is a human also.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    susan wrote: »
    And 1 Leader! But yeah, that's an... interesting spread. Lotsa Humans, too. *shrug* I'm sure statistics will bite us in the a** as a dozen Strikers get dropped over the next couple days.

Quick question: How detailed and full should our Backgrounds be in explaining how we came to the town? Mine's pretty short and general; I'd honestly not mind fleshing it out a bit more, as this character's fun to think about (and I'm sure I can make it better if I'm not writing it at 1am) and probably will expand regardless, but is there anything specific you're looking for other than the basics? Like winding up in a specific tavern or running into a specific NPC or the like? Limitations do breed creativity.

If it's a simple one, then it's OK. I just wanted to know why you would go to Brindol specifically, instead of say, head straight to Overlook instead (or for any other town for that matter). Also, players will start (or probably arrive just in time) in one of Brindol's many famous taverns, The Antler and Thistle. As for what happens afterwards, it's a secret :P.
    Hmmm... I had an illusionist that I was going to throw into the mix tonight, but maybe I should pull out something else. Decisions, decisions.

The scarcity of races is interesting too. Four humans? And my illusionist is a human also.

Don't forget the other 4 races (Genasi, Githzerai, Minotaurs and Wilden) + the other 14 from PHB 1 and 2 (count the shifter as 2 seperate races) = 18, so that's quite a lot of racial choices to choose from.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    susan wrote: »

If it's a simple one, then it's OK. I just wanted to know why you would go to Brindol specifically, instead of say, head straight to Overlook instead (or for any other town for that matter).

Don't forget the other 4 races (Genasi, Githzerai, Minotaurs and Wilden) + the other 14 from PHB 1 and 2 (count the shifter as 2 seperate races) = 18, so that's quite a lot of racial choices to choose from.

Is the scarcity of races really a problem?

I also notice we've got three characters 19 years old. Natasha, Ash and Marc.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is the scarcity of races really a problem?

Not exactly.

From an IC perspective, humans are always considered one of the many 'Major' races in the world (like Dwarves and Elfs etc.) so it's not uncommon to bump into a few humans in a city, town, or even in a desert.

From an OOC perspective, humans are one of the easiest races to play (especially with regards to beginners), what with the extra defenses and extra skill and feat to get.

Basically, the rarity of the races include:
    All PHB1 races : Common, even tieflings.
    All PHB2 races : Uncommon, but not rare (people will probably see/meet all these races at least once in their lifetime).
    The remaining 4 races (those chosen for the setting): Much rarer; people will at least see one of these races once in their lives (make excellent 'establishing' races, as the world's quite new to them [Minotaurs have been lately viewed more as a more respectable race than as monsters lately]).

However, don't let this discourage you on choosing the races. People will just look more surprised/intrigued at you when playing any of the 4 new races than the others is all.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would like to take a crack at this, but I've not had any experience outside of the Kobold encounters in the Shadowfell adventure and dicking around with the character creator.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Jesus, whats up with longtooth shifters with Ash as a first name? I just randomly picked it and made a story around the name.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    I would like to take a crack at this, but I've not had any experience outside of the Kobold encounters in the Shadowfell adventure and dicking around with the character creator.

Is there somewhere I can read up on where Scales of War takes place for background info?

As far as i've read in the module, it takes a lot of references to the original Red Hand of Doom (RHOD) campaign.

JSager1015 posted a players guide (here) on Wizards that gives a lot of information with regards to Elsir Vale.

The most interesting sections to read include the Introduction (for general background info on the Vale) and Red Hand of Doom (nice 4 page summary that explains what happened in the original RHOD campaign) sections.

I intentionally skipped the Town of Brindol , History of the Elsir Vale and People of Interest sections, cause I'm gonna be changing some details of the module (like setting the RHOD campaign 50 years in the past instead of the original 40 year one), but keeping some ideas in the module (like the Diamond League heroes as the original heroes of RHOD).

But overall, I chose the 4th ED 'points of light' setting because it's the most generic of settings (allowing the DM and players to add their own characters, places and organizations as they see fit) so your character can hail from Nentir Vale (places like Fallcrest, Winterhaven etc.), Elsir Vale (where the campaign takes place) or anywhere else.

But ultimately, your character will have to be in Brindol, as that's where the game takes place.

TiamatZ on