As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Infinity Engine: All Good Things Begin And End With Breach

1101112131416»

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aw, darn.

God, this is just like real life. An entire city of people, and only women want me.

Melkster on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can get the manual here if you don't have a hard copy.

Thanks!

admanb wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    I've been borrowing my brother's copy of Baldur's Gate for a long time now, and I'm only a few (and I use that loosely) hours in. I'm currently running around near some mine. I've gotten a few sidequests, but haven't had much chance to go exploring.

At the moment, though, I have a couple of questions which are probably extremely newbish:
    1) I have many scrolls, but I don't see any way to tell which class can use them. That said, I've managed to
    get a few for the druid working.

Most scrolls are mage scrolls. Their main use is to be copied into your mage's spellbook. The rest are cleric/druid (divine) scrolls, and their only use is as a one-use item.
    2) Is there any sort of time limit? Can I rest as often as I need, or will that hurt things? In Fallout (until a certain point), there was a limit to how long you had to reach that point - far too generous, of course, but still there.

No time limit.
    3) My characters complain if I go too long without sleep; does that effect anything?

I think it gives them a penalty to hit or something. Unless they have a debuff icon on their avatar, it is not yet having any effect.
    4) What's the easiest way to tell if I'm too low level for a given area? Die?

Yes.

Excellent, thank you.

Tamin on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Melkster wrote: »
    Aw, darn.

God, this is just like real life. An entire city of people, and only women want me.

Your problem is with the women wanting you?

Man, we should switch bodies.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, I only had like a couple hours to play - and I spent most of them on my character. Ha.

I made a Cavalier style paladin, and put my stat points as follows:

Strength........18/07
    Dexterity.......18
    Constitution..18
    Intelligence...10
    Wisdom.........15
    Charisma.......17

I suppose I'm a hotshot tough, sexy brawler with street smarts. Just like in real life.*

No not really.

I think that's pretty decent... I think. I really need to read the manual. Too bad the game I ordered just came with the CDs---no manual. :(
    Hoz wrote: »
    Aw, darn.

:3

Melkster on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, I only had like a couple hours to play - and I spent most of them on my character. Ha.

Strength........18/07
    Dexterity.......18
    Constitution..18
    Intelligence...10
    Wisdom.........15
    Charisma.......17

I think that's pretty decent... I think. I really need to read the manual. Too bad the game I ordered just came with the CDs---no manual. :(
    Should last you pretty well, though intelligence 11 would have been better just to make illithids slightly less lethal.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

Strength........18/07
    Dexterity.......18
    Constitution..18
    Intelligence...10
    Wisdom.........15
    Charisma.......17

Should last you pretty well, though intelligence 11 would have been better just to make illithids slightly less lethal.

you can buff your int with potions to make illithids a joke.

Ethea on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Strength........18/07
    Dexterity.......18
    Constitution..18
    Intelligence...10
    Wisdom.........15
    Charisma.......17

I suppose I'm a hotshot tough, sexy brawler with street smarts. Just like in real life.*

No not really.

Hoz wrote: »
    Aw, darn.

:3

You should use Charisma as a dump stat, since there's a ring you get almost right away that gives you 18 cha.

Also, I really wouldn't feel bad about using an editor to make yourself a bit of a superhero your first play through. The game can be really tough in places if you don't have a keen grasp of 2nd ed. AD+D, especially some of the mage fights where they use Time Stop and instant kill spells. Also, cranking your wisdom, charisma and intelligence scores lets you be clever in your conversations without being constrained by your stats. For instance, IIRC there's one conversation where if you have an INT score of 18+, you're able to guess the correct identity of someone you're talking to.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Paladins have a minimum of 17 charisma. I couldn't go lower!

The game just recognizes how sexy I am, you see.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Using STR as a dump stat is however valid, since you can get by on Strenght spells until you can afford the girdle of Hill Giant Strength.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Using STR as a dump stat is however valid, since you can get by on Strenght spells until you can afford the girdle of Hill Giant Strength.

Hill Giant Strength belt is usually the first thing I drop cash on in the game. Doing the starting dungeon and the circus should get you the belt if you have high reputation ( you will, you are a paladin ).

On the other hand, I love having my clerics & mages having 18 str, so that I have more mules to carry all the loot I get from killing everything.

Ethea on
  • Options
    SinWithSebastianSinWithSebastian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I do miss the "fun" of spending all that time getting your characters 18/00 strength in dice rolls in the first one. *sigh* Those were simpler times.

SinWithSebastian on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I do miss the "fun" of spending all that time getting your characters 18/00 strength in dice rolls in the first one. *sigh* Those were simpler times.

Random stats was a kind of shared insanity between designers and players; when analyzed carefully, neither side can really justify their existence, but at the time it seemed to make perfect sense.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Random stats was a kind of shared insanity between designers and players; when analyzed carefully, neither side can really justify their existence, but at the time it seemed to make perfect sense.

I found it kinda quaint.

But also ridiculous. I kept rolling until I got enough stat points to get 18s in all the melee/tanking stats without being totally gimped in everything else. Mostly because I think it would be dumb to have a paladin with low intelligence and wisdom. They're supposed to be super wise, after all. Right? Right.

Melkster on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I always just created a character, emptied out all the stats, checkedt he number of points I had available, and save/rerolled based on that. I think as Ranger the max number of points you could get was like 32?

KiTA on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The way it worked originally, you rolled up your random stats, then chose your class, because there was a good chance you couldn't actually play a class unless you got good enough stats for it. That's part of the reason that paladins and hunters are strictly better than fighters in AD&D.

Of course, these sorts of rules existed in a game where players were expected to die horribly sooner or later in some dungeon deathtrap.

Just as note to all you people who spend loads of time rolling stats in BG. I used to do that. Then I just enabled debug mode and started giving myself reasonable stats. Because really....

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The way it worked originally, you rolled up your random stats, then chose your class, because there was a good chance you couldn't actually play a class unless you got good enough stats for it. That's part of the reason that paladins and hunters are strictly better than fighters in AD&D.

Of course, these sorts of rules existed in a game where players were expected to die horribly sooner or later in some dungeon deathtrap.

See, in that context it makes sense. I don't complain about random stats when I'm playing Nethack.

However, as soon as the purpose is to play through a game with the character you create at the beginning, random stat generation becomes madness.

Now I've got an urge to play a deadly D&D 1e dungeon crawler. Do you think Gygax DMs in heaven?

admanb on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Do you think Gygax DMs in heaven?

If he was a Christian.

Otherwise, he'd be in Limbo, playing D&D with Homer, Caesar, and Saladin.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    akesoakeso Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hm...fighter/thief with five points in two-handed swords and use all items for Carsomyr?

Mind, I've never actually tried it so I have no idea if its viable or not.

Go with wizard slayer instead of fighter imo.
    You negate all of the negative factors of the wizard slayer kit with "use all items", leaving you with 2% magic resist per WS lvl and spell disruption on top of the bonuses you would have otherwise had in a pure fighter/thief kit.
    Also, since you'er thinking about using Carsomyr, you can easily get 100% or more magic resistance.... Wizard Slayer indeed.

akeso on
    primeval-warrior-sig.jpg
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Also, I really wouldn't feel bad about using an editor to make yourself a bit of a superhero your first play through. The game can be really tough in places if you don't have a keen grasp of 2nd ed. AD+D, especially some of the mage fights where they use Time Stop and instant kill spells.

And then there's where this happens out of the blue. Wandering around, minding your own business... and stumbling on hostile mages. Great fun the first time!

Linden on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    akeso wrote: »
    Hm...fighter/thief with five points in two-handed swords and use all items for Carsomyr?

You negate all of the negative factors of the wizard slayer kit with "use all items", leaving you with 2% magic resist per WS lvl and spell disruption on top of the bonuses you would have otherwise had in a pure fighter/thief kit.
    Also, since you'er thinking about using Carsomyr, you can easily get 100% or more magic resistance.... Wizard Slayer indeed.

Alternately, go Kensai, since you don't need magic resistance once you find the cloak of Mirroring.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Linden wrote: »
    Also, I really wouldn't feel bad about using an editor to make yourself a bit of a superhero your first play through. The game can be really tough in places if you don't have a keen grasp of 2nd ed. AD+D, especially some of the mage fights where they use Time Stop and instant kill spells.

And then there's where this happens out of the blue. Wandering around, minding your own business... and stumbling on hostile mages. Great fun the first time!

Or, in Baldur's Gate, getting raped by a wizard in the second town. Back before I knew how to use cheap strategies, that was the lamest shit ever.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Baldur's Gate was an excellent introduction for younger me to the world of enjoying games that mercilessly beat the shit out of you, until you get better at them.

But then, I did learn to play chess from my father, who helpfully showed me how the pieces worked, then quietly crushed me repeatedly.

Sepah on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sepah wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate was an excellent introduction for younger me to the world of enjoying games that mercilessly beat the shit out of you, until you get better at them.

But then, I did learn to play chess from my father, who helpfully showed me how the pieces worked, then quietly crushed me repeatedly.

I mean, I'd played Fallout before Baldur's Gate, but even that didn't prepare me for the sheer amount of dying horribly. Fallout was more, you fuck up, you die. Baldur's Gate was: you enter the dungeon, kobolds perforate you with arrows and you die.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Carsomyr doesn't increase the magic resistance by 50%, it sets it to 50%.

Zell on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I mean, I'd played Fallout before Baldur's Gate, but even that didn't prepare me for the sheer amount of dying horribly. Fallout was more, you fuck up, you die. Baldur's Gate was: you enter the dungeon, kobolds perforate you with arrows and you die.

Yeah. I recently replayed through the series, and in BGtutu in those goddamned mines with the kobold commandos, I have no idea how I managed to get through that as a kid.

Sepah on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

From Baldur's Gate I learned the importance of throwing fireballs from a distance and getting the fuck out of there.

The American Way.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Or, in Baldur's Gate, getting raped by a wizard in the second town. Back before I knew how to use cheap strategies, that was the lamest shit ever.

The first time I played Baldur's Gate, I ran into a large group of Gibberlings. I have never been so embarrassed. Mostly, though, I'm frustrated by the one with the Daystar. Secret doors are insufficiently secret to preserve low-level characters!

Linden on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zell wrote: »

Carsomyr doesn't increase the magic resistance by 50%, it sets it to 50%.

Which often led to me re-equipping magic res items after entering a new zone. (Carsomyr sets to 50%, but is loaded last when entering a new zone, so I'd take off the other magic res gear and redon it to boost past 50%.... This might be a result of some mod or patch or whatever though.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The first time I played Baldur's Gate, I ran into a large group of Gibberlings. I have never been so embarrassed. Mostly, though, I'm frustrated by the one with the Daystar. Secret doors are insufficiently secret to preserve low-level characters!

But in the case of Daystar, all you have to do is snag day Daystar and you have a very high chance of winning that fight in less than 5 seconds.

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

But in the case of Daystar, all you have to do is snag day Daystar and you have a very high chance of winning that fight in less than 5 seconds.

Well, you realise that the second time through. But it doesn't really matter in those instances. Hilariously broken item, though.

Linden on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bumping from oblivion because days of searching elsewhere have proven fruitless. Quick console-related question in chapter 3:
    The mage and his golem who show up to help break into Bodhi's lair haven't appeared. I'm running the official patch, and several unofficial fixpacks/mods that might've broken it, but I can't be sure which. Thing is, it hasn't been a problem before; about the only thing I've done differently is clear Watcher's Keep before paying the Shadow Thieves.

Long story short, I'd like to try spawning both via the console, which I've activated, but I don't know what they're listed as. Any ideas or advice?

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Stolls wrote: »
    Bumping from oblivion because days of searching elsewhere have proven fruitless. Quick console-related question in chapter 3:
    The mage and his golem who show up to help break into Bodhi's lair haven't appeared. I'm running the official patch, and several unofficial fixpacks/mods that might've broken it, but I can't be sure which. Thing is, it hasn't been a problem before; about the only thing I've done differently is clear Watcher's Keep before paying the Shadow Thieves.

Long story short, I'd like to try spawning both via the console, which I've activated, but I don't know what they're listed as. Any ideas or advice?

I don't have BG2 installed right now, but the difficult fix would be to use Infinity Explorer and search for it. Using Shadowkeeper and trigger the right global variables should do it too. Can't tell you the specifics though....

hippofant on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Honestly, I would ctrl+J past the gate. Crtl+J is your friend.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hippofant wrote: »
    Stolls wrote: »

I don't have BG2 installed right now, but the difficult fix would be to use Infinity Explorer and search for it. Using Shadowkeeper and trigger the right global variables should do it too. Can't tell you the specifics though....

Former did the trick. Got lucky and the two were placed early in a huge list of creatures; spawned both and the script started right up, albeit without the ambush to follow. Thanks for the help!
    Rami wrote: »
    Honestly, I would ctrl+J past the gate. Crtl+J is your friend.

It took me way too long to figure out that I don't really need to walk down that stupid long hallway in the guild every time.

Edit: Turns out just spawning them didn't spawn the things I'm supposed to kill, which caused the chapter to hang. Further poking revealed the variable causing everything else to appear had somehow already triggered. Hell if I know how, but resetting that seems to have everything else in working order.

PC GAMING FUCK YEAH

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Planescape: Torment being re-released this month in the UK, according to RPS.

link: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/10/27/planescape-torment-re-release/

Hopefully more news about north america soon!

Waldo on
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    when I was younger I had a drinking problem

now I just have drinking solutions
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/weeman3
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OHGODYES

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Waldo wrote: »

please dear god let it be re-released in Canada.

Ethea on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Welcome back, thread.

I would make a torment joke about necroing it, but that's lame so I won't. I needed help but I the current Baldur's Gate thread didn't seem like the place.

So I'm playing Planescape: Torment at the moment, and every time someone casts a spell the game shits itself inside out. I tried tinkering with the video options in there, and the game doesn't launch at all under any compatibility mode. Any tips on how to get the spell effects to work? Or at least disable them?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ethea wrote: »
    Waldo wrote: »

please dear god let it be re-released in Canada.

I hope it's released on GOG.com. I would buy it HARD. While hard.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png