As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Removing Linux from the Playstation 3

UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
I'm at a point where I no longer mess around with Linux on my PS3 and I really could use the 10gigs it takes up for game installs/downloads. Is there anyway for the PS3 to reclaim that space, or do I have to do a complete reformat?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
Uselesswarrior on

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If I had to guess, I would imagine that you have to do a complete format. You may want to have a look around Google, however, to see if there is a way to hack your way out of that situation.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I never really got the point of installing Linux on it. What could you do with a Linux install on the PS3 that you couldn't do with the default?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can run some emulators and such, but really there's not much unless you really want a PPC Linux install that can't do 3D rendering

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    You can run some emulators and such, but really there's not much unless you really want a PPC Linux install that can't do 3D rendering

You could also do some serious number crunching on the PS3 hardware, but if that wasn't your express purpose for installing Linux, you probably don't care.

Frem on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just for the records, emulation on PS3 linux IS horrible.

In fact most things on PS3 linux are horrible, because 1) Sony only allows the other os to access a small subset of the hardware, which last a checked excluded the GPU 2) the vast majority of applications are not optimized or designed for the cell processor.

If your think of installing Linux on your PS3, I would advise against it.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, installing Linux on the PS3 is pretty useless. I did it to see if I could, and I could, just like they told me I could. Then I sat there and stared at my screen and it did nothing and I could think of nothing "cool" to do with it.

Anyway, yes, you can remove Linux from the PS3 and, yes, you DO have to reformat your whole drive to do it. You can, however, back your important stuff (i.e. downloaded games, DLC, save games, pictures, music, etc.) up to an external USB hard drive (or flash drive if it's big enough) and restore it after you're done formatting.

I had the same dilemma. I had installed Linux, used it once and realized later that it would be nice to have that 10GB back.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png