As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I feel "pretty"

multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's an interesting one, maybe I can get some great words of wisdom from the womenfolk: Suppose you have a lady friend who has been complaining of not feeling "pretty" enough in a long time. Now, you personally think this girl is very attractive, but your words aren't really getting through. What would be some awesome (non-bank-breaking) ways of demonstrating your views?

multimoog on

• Options
    KotenkKotenk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lady friend: benefits or none?

Kotenk on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Benefits.

multimoog on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sadly a lot of people simply refuse that they're 'pretty' or whatever. This applies particularly to women and can be quit annoying having your thoughts and opinions fall on deaf ears. Sadly, it's often the case that there's nothing that you can do; for whatever reason this person haves it in their mind that they're whatever they believe they are, even if it's simply not true. In my experience they often 'grow' out of it, or dwell on it to the point where it becomes an obsession. IMO, the best thing you can do is continue to be a friend and keep your patience.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can't make her feel attractive, but you can do things that might help her feel attractive. Dress up fancy and go to a nice dinner. Give her an excuse to get her nails and hair did.

Javen on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    multimoog wrote: »
    Benefits.

go down on her

I am 100% serious

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Benefits.

go down on her

I am 100% serious

You think that isn't one of the benefits? I am le skeelled lovair.

Dinner: I usually take her out once a week, and she always gets at least a little dolled up, and I always compliment her.
    Before going down on her.

Shrug? Ladies, what can a guy do that makes you feel pretty? I wanna do something special, and I've already done regular stuff like gifts of flowers, made her dinner/artwork, etc. I'm wondering if there's something that... I dunno, conveys prettiness or attractiveness.

multimoog on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you go out every week, that's called routine. Routine isn't very conducive to getting someone to think different than they normally do.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    If you go out every week, that's called routine. Routine isn't very conducive to getting someone to think different than they normally do.

Yep! That's why I'm cunfuzzled, and opening the floor to suggestion. Got anything else? Another sticking point: she rarely needs an excuse for a hairdid, and dids it regularly. So beautification isn't really a big deal to her, either.

multimoog on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would be shocked if you could do anything to make her feel pretty if you are already a positive sort of guy. Even if she looks like a horse she probably trusts that you would never tell her that and instead tell her she is pretty to be nice.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    well then

here's a stratagem: tell her you want to go somewhere nice, dress up to the nines, and then when you see her, act naturally. If she dresses up for it, god knows she's going to look good. In my experience, they listen to your compliments more sincerely when they're trying to look good.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    korrianderkorriander Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eye contact and lots of small touches (non sexual) go a long way, at least for me. Put your hand on the small of her back as you walk somewhere, play with her hair, all that cheesy stuff. It is cliche because most of the time, it works. Feeling like someone is attracted to me, rather than hearing them say they are attracted to me, is a nice ego boost. Just imho.

korriander on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ill assume you do this but just in case - telling girls they look pretty when they're dressed up is nice, of course. but you should also get in the habit of commenting on how nice they look even when they're not at their best, and not just when theyre bagging on themselves. when they first wake up, after theyve been to the gym, whatever. and dont just say 'oh you look pretty today'. mention something specific, without being prompted, when they're least expecting it. ive had much more luck with that than rolling out the comments when they're fishing for them.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    korriander wrote: »
    Eye contact and lots of small touches (non sexual) go a long way, at least for me. Put your hand on the small of her back as you walk somewhere, play with her hair, all that cheesy stuff. It is cliche because most of the time, it works. Feeling like someone is attracted to me, rather than hearing them say they are attracted to me, is a nice ego boost. Just imho.

I always do that - I'm always trying to steal a kiss or come in contact. Because - and I've told her this - she just turns me on so much, constantly. It's one of the reasons I'm so confused by her attitude towards herself, I do all those things because she looks so good that I always want to touch her as much as I can.
    Houk wrote: »
    ill assume you do this but just in case - telling girls they look pretty when they're dressed up is nice, of course. but you should also get in the habit of commenting on how nice they look even when they're not at their best, and not just when theyre bagging on themselves. when they first wake up, after theyve been to the gym, whatever. and dont just say 'oh you look pretty today'. mention something specific, without being prompted, when they're least expecting it. ive had much more luck with that than rolling out the comments when they're fishing for them.

Yeah, I always do this too, because she always looks good to me. Example: we hung out last week, just to play board games and make brownies (not a euphemism for anything, btw). She apologized for coming straight from work, and I said she had nothing to apologize for: her t-shirt was really cute and her butt looked amazing in those jeans. She told me today she's starting a new workout regimen tomorrow (to which I said "I don't think you need to, but if it'll help you feel better about yourself it's a good step") and got some new gym clothes, when she told me what they looked like I said it sounds like she'll look really hot in them.
    I would be shocked if you could do anything to make her feel pretty if you are already a positive sort of guy.

I'm starting to wonder if this isn't the case, which is sad. Because I really want to help her feel better!

multimoog on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Have you considered that she is fishing for compliments, and by saying she is ugly, you say she is pretty, reinforcing the habit?

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The few times this has been pulled on me, I acted naturally.

I was offended.

Now I'm not a model, but I'm an attractive guy. Intelligent, somewhat charming, educated, etc. I'm not going to be dating any ugly chicks, thanks, and being an artist I think I have somewhat of an authority on the subject of beauty.

That doesn't reinforce the behavior (so it doesn't keep coming up) and I think it's a novel enough approach to get her thinking. Which, really, is my advice here- Find something novel, some way to explain it to her that you truly own, and use that. If it's my reasoning and you believe in it for yourself, then great.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Have you considered that she is fishing for compliments, and by saying she is ugly, you say she is pretty, reinforcing the habit?

If that's the case, I think it's a habit I'll gladly support; it's free and I like doing it. She's told me before about her past boyfriends, and how she always felt used, taken for granted - she's not used to receiving compliments (or being taken to dinner, or given gifts, or...), and sometimes if I start getting really involved about what I like about her, it makes her shut down a little and get flustered. Maybe fishing for compliments is the only way she feels comfortable about getting them, because it might be the only way she's used to guys giving them. If she's fishing, it seems like a relatively small small way to keep her happy with me and feeling good. The problem would be finding out one way or the other, I guess (though it's not like I'm going to stop complimenting her either way, just whether or not I want to come up with some kind of grand gesture by Wednesday night).

I actually used the "I'm not in the habit of dating ugly girls" line tonight, when she started talking about how fat she feels. I told her she's definitely voluptuous, which is a good thing, and I love it. She looks like a 1940's pinup girl, which I think is honest and flattering at the same time.

multimoog on
  • Options
    elfdudeelfdude Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The best solution I've found is to show her repeatedly grungy or dolled sexy or not why she's beautiful with specific details. I love to view her proportions (face) as though I'm an artist and tell her in great detail why her face is so beautiful. Whenever our faces come close I like to tell her about why she's pretty. When she says something I like I compliment it in large detail.

Basically just overwhelm her with exacting detail for why she's beautiful. Make a list of so many pros that, no matter what she lists, the cons seem minor in comparison. I don't think it'll stop compliment fishing (which it seems all girls do) but it'll help slow it down. Cut her off before she can attack herself with a compliment basically.

Also don't be so concerned. Like I said all girls seem to do compliment fishing. It doesn't necessarily mean they really believe they're not beautiful.

elfdude on
    Every man is wise when attacked by a mad dog; fewer when pursued by a mad woman; only the wisest survive when attacked by a mad notion.
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Do something she's into and steer the conversation toward her beauty without her bringing it up. Let her know that her being in her element, having fun etc. is something that really brings out her beauty and makes her even more attractive to you (I'm assuming it does). If she really likes movies, or hiking or whatever, just do it with her and bring it up.

If she asks how clothes look on her, usually you can say something like "The sweater is OK, but on you it's great!" You need to give her power over what she wears and what her body looks like, not the other way around.

Personally, I'd steer clear of making it seem like her body has sexual powers over you. Girls get no short amount of that when they're single, and it's exactly the thing a guy would want a girl to say to him.

For grand gestures, there's not a whole lot you can do, and it's very specific to each girl.

Rye on
  • Options
    IogaIoga Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »

If that's the case, I think it's a habit I'll gladly support; it's free and I like doing it. She's told me before about her past boyfriends, and how she always felt used, taken for granted - she's not used to receiving compliments (or being taken to dinner, or given gifts, or...), and sometimes if I start getting really involved about what I like about her, it makes her shut down a little and get flustered. Maybe fishing for compliments is the only way she feels comfortable about getting them, because it might be the only way she's used to guys giving them. If she's fishing, it seems like a relatively small small way to keep her happy with me and feeling good. The problem would be finding out one way or the other, I guess (though it's not like I'm going to stop complimenting her either way, just whether or not I want to come up with some kind of grand gesture by Wednesday night).

I actually used the "I'm not in the habit of dating ugly girls" line tonight, when she started talking about how fat she feels. I told her she's definitely voluptuous, which is a good thing, and I love it. She looks like a 1940's pinup girl, which I think is honest and flattering at the same time.

Limed for what I think. She probably likes being told that from what I've heard.

Just going out on an idea, here: If you have access to a camera you could ask her if she wanted to do a sexy personal photoshoot? Like you said she's looks like a pinup to you so maybe some 50's style hairdos and some revealing clothing is requested for the evening? Then you could look over the pictures together or something?

Also, I would say leave her notes saying this - if she's asking because she has doubts about what you're saying, telling her so in a note or a letter would maybe reinforce the fact that you're not saying it because you want sex at the moment.

Ioga on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Along with fishing for complements, this can also mean "I feel like we're in a slight rut"

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

As a female I'm going to second this. It's small touches (hair, cheek, back, shoulders), it's small gestures (certain ways of looking at her), it's remembering little details (I love it when your nose crinkles like that when you're laughing, etc.), and it's being patient patient patient. It took my husband (yes, husband) a year before I started to believe him (as in, that it's what he really thought) when he'd say I was beautiful. As it is, I believe he thinks it, but I still don't think it about myself. Women can be weird about physical appearance, especially intelligent ones.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »

As a female I'm going to second this. It's small touches (hair, cheek, back, shoulders), it's small gestures (certain ways of looking at her), it's remembering little details (I love it when your nose crinkles like that when you're laughing, etc.), and it's being patient patient patient. It took my husband (yes, husband) a year before I started to believe him (as in, that it's what he really thought) when he'd say I was beautiful. As it is, I believe he thinks it, but I still don't think it about myself. Women can be weird about physical appearance, especially intelligent ones.

so what do you think people mean when they say it? That they're trying to manipulate or flatter you?

Also, when a person turns out to be in some way insincere (IE relationship didn't work out, they cheated on you, etc) to you internalize that by questioning all their compliments?

These are genuine questions, I'm not trying to "argue" with you, I'm curious about your thought process.
    Men have body issues galore, but personally I tend not to argue with or believe compliments per se - I tend to take them as a sign the person is happy and not question beyond that.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Men have body issues galore, but personally I tend not to argue with or believe compliments per se - I tend to take them as a sign the person is happy and not question beyond that.
    same here. i never understand when a girl i find attractive somehow feels the same way about me. i just dont see the physical appeal of...myself. but of course i dont tell that to girls who say it (or if i do, jokingly) because i trust that it's what they really think, even if i think theyre totally nutty

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Passerbye wrote: »

so what do you think people mean when they say it? That they're trying to manipulate or flatter you?

Also, when a person turns out to be in some way insincere (IE relationship didn't work out, they cheated on you, etc) to you internalize that by questioning all their compliments?

These are genuine questions, I'm not trying to "argue" with you, I'm curious about your thought process.

Part of it, especially when it comes from someone like my parents or husband, etc., is that 'Well, they love me, so they can't see clearly'. A silly attitude, I know, but that's part of it for me. Sometimes, when it's some random guy or girl, I'll think they're just being lazy about flirting (since your average compliments aren't hard to come up with) or are trying to manipulate me. I would definitely agree that some of it is from internalized relationship problems in the past. My relationship prior to getting married ended very, very badly with insults on both sides, so everything (good or bad) that happened got questioned and lots of walls got built.

This, of course, is just an example of one person's experience. It may be similar to the OP's lady friend, it may not be.

I'd suggest, in addition to what I've already said, that he ask her why she has trouble believing him. Knowing can really help, especially if it's due to past emotional problems.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like the most logical thing you can do is pay for therapy so they can work on their self esteem problem.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man there is no need for therapy. Everybody, men or women, goes through this.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Here is an email I got from my wife a while back that gives you some insight to how some women feel. She wrote it as a thread to post here because she knows I always read these forums but sent it to me instead.

"My sweetheart has always watched me undress. If he's in the room while I am changing, it doesn't matter what he's doing he'll watch me. I always roll my eyes or tell him he's being silly but really I like that he's still interested in looking. For three years he has NEVER not watched except for the passed two nights. This is not his regular behavior, though true it's only been a couple of days. We haven't been fighting, I haven't been nagging. I haven't let myself go, physically I look better now than when he married me. I was bent over in his favorite style of panties two feet away and he didn't even glance over.
    I know how I feel but when I say it out loud I think I sound like an insecure brat who's upset because her husband doesn't always want to look at her body. It's a complete double standard - I can not want it and thats just fine but my sweetheart better be an effin horndog for me at all times
    ."

This was some valuable information for me: DON'T SLACK UP!
    Me staring at her when she's changing makes her feel good. Funnily enough, I feel good too...because, you know, I get to watch my wife getting naked! Now, when I'm watching her, I'm not just being pervy but I'm making her feel good too!

Lots of touching, lots of compliments, lots of come ons, lots of emails/texts/phone calls. It pays dividends!

Grab her ass. Tell her you're so horny/hot for her, you want to take her in the laundry room. Plant a big kiss on her right when you get home from work/when you first see her without saying a word. Drop your jaw when she gets out of the shower. Always peek in at her when she is in the shower.

Be cheesy dude.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    here's what you do.

Get your friends to scout out whatever bar/club/lounge/whatever where you're most likely to find extremely attractive girls. Take her to that location and then completely ignore every other girl in the whole place. Don't stay long though, and be like, "this place sucks, let's bounce!"

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    Grab her ass. Tell her you're so horny/hot for her, you want to take her in the laundry room. Plant a big kiss on her right when you get home from work/when you first see her without saying a word. Drop your jaw when she gets out of the shower. Always peek in at her when she is in the shower.

Problem is, peeking in on her in the shower leads to joining her in the shower, leads to :winky: in the shower, leads to oh shit we're gonna be late :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Problem is, peeking in on her in the shower leads to joining her in the shower, leads to :winky: in the shower, leads to oh shit we're gonna be late :P

Some things are worth being late for, like sex with Shawnasee's wife.

underdonk on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Your whole statement is great except the way it starts...

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    underdonk wrote: »

Some things are worth being late for, like sex with Shawnasee's wife.

I don't like any of your statement. o_O

but you're so right

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I don't know if I'd want to be late for sex with Shawnasee's wife

He might come home early and catch me D:
    :lol:

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Or I might be in the closet...watching.
    I think I just threw up...and not a little

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Guys, peaking in on other people's wives will not make yours feel better about themselves.

underdonk on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Guys, peaking in on other people's wives will not make yours feel better about themselves.

Certainly, having 3-4 people peaking on Shawnasee's wife will make her feel good about herself...

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Guys, peeking in on other people's wives will not make yours feel better about themselves.

I think something got missed in the interpretation there. :P

Anyhow, the point initially tried to get across and agreed with is be a horndog. Yes, she might not reciprocate on the spot. Yes, it might get you all worked up and then you two just don't get around to it that night. But your interest in her makes her feel good. :)

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Djiem wrote: »

Certainly, having 3-4 people peaking on Shawnasee's wife will make her feel good about herself...

Yeah, she must feel on top of the world on Wednesdays.

underdonk on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Being a horndog is not a problem, I always tell her I want her, even when it's not practical (we're out, or something). I also say a lot of that stuff over AIM, as we chat a lot when we can't get together. She's unlike most girls in that she doesn't take compliments well, unfortunately. I emailed her a several-line poem thing about how gorgeous I think she is that she never responded to, or mentioned again.

Every time I start to say things like that in person she gets really shy and looks away, covers her face with her hair and asks me to stop. I asked her if it's because she doesn't want to hear that from *me*, but she said it's not that she doesn't *like* that I say it, it's that any compliments make her feel really uncomfortable. It's been like that since our first date two months ago.

This is a weird problem to have.

multimoog on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Being a horndog is not a problem, I always tell her I want her, even when it's not practical (we're out, or something). I also say a lot of that stuff over AIM, as we chat a lot when we can't get together. She's unlike most girls in that she doesn't take compliments well, unfortunately. I emailed her a several-line poem thing about how gorgeous I think she is that she never responded to, or mentioned again.

Every time I start to say things like that in person she gets really shy and looks away, covers her face with her hair and asks me to stop. I asked her if it's because she doesn't want to hear that from *me*, but she said it's not that she doesn't *like* that I say it, it's that any compliments make her feel really uncomfortable. It's been like that since our first date two months ago.

This is a weird problem to have.

As someone who's having a hard time taking compliments and also has extremely poor self-esteem, I'd tell you that if she's anything like me, you should just keep doing whatever you're doing now, that everything is fine. There simply are people like that.

Djiem on