As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Serenity, Would it be possible for PAX?

eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited July 2005 in PAX Archive
For those that dont know what Serenity is, There was an underappreciated(at least when it was being aired) show on FOX in 2002 called Firefly, that unfortunatly got canceled after only 11 episodes aired. All 14 episodes that were made were however released on DVD and its popularity has greatly increased, enough to the point that Universal bought the rights to make a movie based on the series, that movie being Serenity.

Even if you havnt seen the series Id imagine people around here would have at least heard of it, Ive seen Tycho mention it a few times on his posts on the main page. The movie is not set to be released in theatres until September 30th but they have been doing advanced screenings of the movie in various cities. The first was on May 5th in ten cities, which sold out quickly so they did a second on May 26th in 20 cities, which likewise sold out. The third and latest showing was June 23rd, this time in 35 cities(Including my own, Riverside, Ca, sadly I missed the oppurtunity to get tickets) and It sold out quickly as well. And by quickly, Im talking a matter of minutes.

Well, No official word on whether they will be doing any more screenings or not, with contradicting rumors going around as to Junes being the last and that there will be showings in July and August as well. And Im surprised I didnt think of it before, but the question is, Would it be possible for it to be shown at PAX? Or if were incredibly lucky this is what the Secret Event in the theatre already is, given Tychos appreciation of the series. If not, would it be too late to organize something like this to be at PAX? I would imagine it would be very popular among the general audience of PAX even if its not directly related to gaming like the other movies being shown at PAX.

Then again, If they do more advanced screenings of Serenity, Id make a safe bet that the one in august would be on August 25th(Its around the same date as showings in May and June, and theyve all been on thursdays) and theres been showings in Seattle all 3 times, us PAX goers should try and get ahold of as many tickets as we can and hit that showing if there is one that day.

(She/Her)
eelektrik on

• TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Uhh...

TrainwreckX on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    They did do a comic on it. Usually if its big enough, it gets thrown into a comic. I'm not sure there were even showings in the portland,oregon area.

One things for sure, When it hits dvd, it shall so be mine.

BTW, why the hell do all the good shows get cancelled and all the crappy shit like that reality tv is kept? Screw tv... I'll just go campout on WoW.

I can see it now, Gamer reality tv. Real games! real tournaments, real big issues with getting laid.

:P

-vis

Viscountalpha on
  • tmonkeytmonkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I've actually talked with one of the executive producers at the Portland screening. At the time of the 2nd screening, they were pretty much ready to start final clean-ups and edits, as well as add in the correct music. Since they haven't had another screening (it probably would have been in June), there won't be this close to the opening.

tmonkey on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    But, there was a screening in June, just under 3 weeks ago on the 23rd. Theres also apparently a screening coming up in Australia on July 21st according to whedonesque.com. So its entirely possible there may still be more screenings, the 21st is a thursday, same day as all the other screenings were on, so there might be another round of screenings then and the Australians kinda jumped the gun and confirmed it too early. Apparently thats what happened with Riverside, Cas showing, they started selling tickets early and by the time that third screening was officially announced they were sold out... Unfortunatly, I didnt know about the showing until the official announcement, and missed the oppurtunity to get tickets.

Oh well, whether or not they do more screenings Im sure Ill see it in theatres multiple times, and buy it on DVD.

But yeah, I guess the original post was aimed more at the people that run Pax, Mike, Jerry, Robert, or whoever, if it would be possible to get a screening of the movie at PAX. Whedon is no stranger to Cons, him and all 9 cast members of Firefly did a panel at the San Diego Comic Con last year before working on the movie. Even something along those lines, anything Firefly/Serenity related at PAX would rock.

And for those of you that havnt seen Firefly, either go out and blindly buy the DVD based on the recomendations of everyone like I did, or you can start watching the series friday nights on SciFi starting July 22nd.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    What the hell, go ahead and ask them. If they're into it have them email me at mikef at penny-arcade.com.

-Mike

Mike Fehlauer on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    eelektrik wrote:
    Oh well, whether or not they do more screenings Im sure Ill see it in theatres multiple times, and buy it on DVD.

Ahh, the halcyon call of the fanboy...

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • UnrequitedUnrequited Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    That would be awesome...

Unrequited on
    -Unrequited

signed/PLAYED Miyamoto guitar:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7567184222
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    God damnit... They did a screening of it at the San Diego Comic-Con, and I just find out about it today... Excuse me while I go repeatedly kick myself... I wonder if Gabe and Tycho managed to get in to that showing...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited July 2005
    They saw it at a Seattle screening.

They're bastards, as is anyone else who's already seen it, except the actress that plays Kaylee. naughty.gif

David Coffman on