As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] New Calculator w/ Regional Prices (Page 98)

SudsSuds Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
steamlogom.png

WHAT IS STEAM?

20041015h.jpg

Except that this has all been resolved now, and pretty much every major publisher has many or most of their games up on Steam, the fast, free digital distribution platform that lets you download the best PC games in your underpants, while serving you demos, trailers, slightly-delayed patches, and the like.

WHAT'S NEW WITH STEAM?

Check the Steam News page for all your Steam... news.

PENNY ARCADE + STEAM = COOKED PENNY ARCADE?

No, PA + Steam = awesome. First of all, you've got this thread. In this thread we talk about new Steam releases (what's worth buying, what isn't, what's on sale, etc). We also do other cool stuff, like check prices in US DOLLARS for LewieP of games that don't have anything to do with Steam, or get off on tangents about puppies or DRM! Sometimes, this place is like one giant thread for PC gaming and Steam goes and sits in a corner downloading an update to Day of Defeat: Source.

Second: Here is the Penny Arcade Steam Group! Someone reading this thread ought to be able to invite you, as long as you can provide your SteamID. The group is basically useless but it would be ludicrous not to have a Penny Arcade presence on the coolest digital distribution system this side of GoG.com! It actually IS helpful to join, because it identifies you as a Penny Arcader on the Internet and makes it easy from the PA forums who you friend to say "oh, right, I know this guy from the Steam thread." We're the most wangalicious group, too.

With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free! HE SAID HE WOULD KILL ME IF I DID NOT WRITE THIS OH GOD SAVE-You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Sample signature:
camo_sig2.png

Also there are some Penny Arcade Steam Groups you may enjoy (this is only a sampling!):
Plain old Penny Arcade
PAX Forumers
Penny Arcade League
You get the idea. This Steam thread is not the place for these groups; they live in their own threads. For example, the Armed Assault PA Steam Group (PAJOE) is in the Armed Assault thread, whereas the Company of Heroes PA Steam Group is in the CoH thread, and so on.

Cool stuff on the Steam website:
Grand list of all price reductions. This is slightly obsolete now that the store has a "Sales" tab but it's still useful.
Steam skins to make it look less like army boot camp
Awesome stats
The store page in case you want to, you know, buy some games or something

IF I BUY A GAME FOUR TIMES BECAUSE I'M STUPID CAN I GIFT THE EXTRA COPIES? WHAT IF I BUY A 2-PACK EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY OWN ONE OF THE GAMES?
You can't really do that. In almost every case, if you buy a Steam game, it's for you and you alone, even if you already own a copy somehow. If you want to give the game to someone else, buy it as a gift, not for you. Steam is a selfish service or a selfess service, but almost never both at once. Gift or buy, but do not combine!

I WANT TO REGISTER MY GAME ON STEAM BECAUSE STEAM IS SEXIER THAN MY WIFE
Good idea! Unfortunately Valve games are just about the only games that let you do it. If you want to see if you're lucky though, here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

WHY DOESN'T NOVALOGIC SELL DELTA 4OURCE 5: ROID RAGIN' 'RINES IN MY HOME OF SOUTHERN BUTTCRACKISTAN?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. In the meantime, America has lots of free space for immigrants.

MY STEAMS IS BORKED D:
Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.
Suds wrote: »
Holy shit! Left 4 Dead Sigs!

l4d_sig.png

Get yours now!

steamopedit.jpg

THE THREAD TITLE ALSO HAS "SOURCE" IN IT
Yeah, this is a great place to talk about Source mods and Source games. Source is the engine for Valve's Half-Life 2, and all that jazz is linked intimately to Steam, so you can bet that most people in here are pretty big fans of the Half-Life series and are willing to try out the newest mod that's been released or take a look at your Hammer map or something. This is the Valve thread just as much as it is the PC games thread. Post your favorite mods we might not have heard of! It's a great way to judge if there's any interest before making an entire thread.

adventureoflewiep.jpg

camo_sig2.png
Suds on

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I haven't dropped by any Steam threads in a long time but goddamn those LewieP comics are heartwarming and awesome. :D

Henroid on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tamin wrote: »
    Guys, I have 20% off at Impulse due to this survey thing I filled out because they thought I purchased Sins.

What should I buy? Nothing really looks interesting at the moment, which is good, because I have until November 1st to decide.

Entrenchment is definitely worth it if you liked Sins. For that matter, Diplomacy should be worth it as well.

I'm actually having trouble getting into Sins. I mean, with Civ 4 and such, it's much more transparent what I need to do - build farms there, or research that tech, or build a small army to convince my neighbors not to randomly declare war and lay waste to everything I hold dear. Also, for purposes of conquest. Conquest is always good.

In Sins everything seems to start off as hostile; the neighboring planets are surrounded by lots of red things, and I don't have the first idea what resources I have (both literally [crystal/metal/gold] and metaphorically [frigates/cruisers/1-person strike craft]), or what progressing actually looks like (in Civ 4, progression 'looks like' the expanding culture border, or the points, or the tech tree being slowly consumed).

That said, I just located the manual in handy pdf format, and I'll probably run through the tutorials at some point. Very much stoked about the game, though. Wiki says that there can potentially be multiple solar systems, which makes me exceedingly happy.

Tamin on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does Steam expose a way to aggregate historical pricing? For instance, can you look at how much Left 4 Dead cost 6 months ago?

It would be pretty cool to put together a graph to trend the prices on steam.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Steam only shows the current price. If your curiosity is that serious you could try searching in this thread for posts from the OP poster and the game you're looking for.

Alegis on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Heh, I am totally unjailed for the first time in ages now.

LewieP on
    edited September 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    Steam only shows the current price. If your curiosity is that serious you could try searching in this thread for posts from the OP poster and the game you're looking for.

Yeah, I'm more thinking a long the lines of neato automated graphs rather then caring about the particular price point for a particular game.

For instance, by looking at the curves of pricing for Left 4 Dead 1, you could probably guess when to expect Left 4 Dead 2 at a particular price point.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Guys, I have 20% off at Impulse due to this survey thing I filled out because they thought I purchased Sins.

What should I buy? Nothing really looks interesting at the moment, which is good, because I have until November 1st to decide.

Entrenchment is definitely worth it if you liked Sins. For that matter, Diplomacy should be worth it as well.

I'm actually having trouble getting into Sins. I mean, with Civ 4 and such, it's much more transparent what I need to do - build farms there, or research that tech, or build a small army to convince my neighbors not to randomly declare war and lay waste to everything I hold dear. Also, for purposes of conquest. Conquest is always good.

In Sins everything seems to start off as hostile; the neighboring planets are surrounded by lots of red things, and I don't have the first idea what resources I have (both literally [crystal/metal/gold] and metaphorically [frigates/cruisers/1-person strike craft]), or what progressing actually looks like (in Civ 4, progression 'looks like' the expanding culture border, or the points, or the tech tree being slowly consumed).

That said, I just located the manual in handy pdf format, and I'll probably run through the tutorials at some point. Very much stoked about the game, though. Wiki says that there can potentially be multiple solar systems, which makes me exceedingly happy.

The road to getting to know Sins is an exceedingly slippery one. As soon as you think you've got a good grasp on colonial expansion, violent or otherwise, the games' scope just increases exponentially and you've got a whole heap more stuff to learn.

Been playing it on and off for ages now and it still kicks my ass because I don't pay enough attention.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Heh, I am totally unjailed for the first time in ages now.

It's a Christmas miracle! <3

So, fun fact about my Steam account; I forgot how I managed to do it, but I got an extra copy of HL2: DM. Which I think comes with the game now. Might've been when I was buying some 2 for 1 pack of the HL2 episodes.

Henroid on
  • DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

The tutorials doesn't take long to get through, and should make most things clearer. They don't cover everything, but just play around and you'll get it. It's really not all that difficult to get started (it just takes a while to master, as already mentioned) :)

Dírhael on
    edited September 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    So, fun fact about my Steam account; I forgot how I managed to do it, but I got an extra copy of HL2: DM. Which I think comes with the game now. Might've been when I was buying some 2 for 1 pack of the HL2 episodes.

I still have an extra copy of HalfLife 2 from my Orange box purchase.

Uselesswarrior on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

For instance, by looking at the curves of pricing for Left 4 Dead 1, you could probably guess when to expect Left 4 Dead 2 at a particular price point.

Well, that would be against Steam's best interest. Steam Xmas sales are only 1 month after L4D2 release so one could expect a 25% reduction then, my guess is L4D2 will have a 50-66% ish week-end in march at the latest like last time.

If you're from Europe it will probably be cheaper to import L4D2 from the UK.

Alegis on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I sympathise with LewieP. I remember when steam was priced in dollars, back when it was 2 dollars to the pound. Oh, SO GREAT.

Now?

It's often cheaper to amazon :/

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I sympathise with LewieP. I remember when steam was priced in dollars, back when it was 2 dollars to the pound. Oh, SO GREAT.

Now?

It's often cheaper to amazon :/

CURSE YOU GLOBAL RECESSION!

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    Indeed.

I've been thinking, you know what would be a great steam feature that I am really surprised Valve haven't done yet.

Tell Steam (or it autodetects if you let it) what your system specs are, and then it can give information (maybe even benchmarks where possible) about how games will run on your system. Would eliminate some of the "I might buy this but I am not sure how it would run on my system" that I have sometimes had.

LewieP on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CURSE YOU GLOBAL RECESSION!

Curse you repricing in pounds too >.<

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Indeed.

I've been thinking, you know what would be a great steam feature that I am really surprised Valve haven't done yet.

Tell Steam (or it autodetects if you let it) what your system specs are, and then it can give information (maybe even benchmarks where possible) about how games will run on your system. Would eliminate some of the "I might buy this but I am not sure how it would run on my system" that I have sometimes had.

With the myriad ways systems and games are configured, that's no small order. Really your best bet has always been a demo. Everything after that you're pretty much going on opinion. Heck even with a demo you're still not 100% that the actual product will run the same (although to be fair, in my experience that's usually because they've made tweaks to the engine in the meantime so the game runs faster).

subedii on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Maybe the question about entering keys into Steam could be slightly bigger, bold, lime and italic? People ask that shit way too much.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Maybe the question about entering keys into Steam could be slightly bigger, bold, lime and italic? People ask that shit way too much.

Yes. This.

And then even if they don't see it and ask again, we can belittle them for not seeing the aforementioned big bold lime italic text.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Every day I open up steam in hopes of seeing KoTOR 2. And everyday I am a little more disappointed.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
    edited September 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Indeed.

With the myriad ways systems and games are configured, that's no small order. Really your best bet has always been a demo. Everything after that you're pretty much going on opinion. Heck even with a demo you're still not 100% that the actual product will run the same (although to be fair, in my experience that's usually because they've made tweaks to the engine in the meantime so the game runs faster).

I suppose you are correct, they couldn't really benchmark. They could do a simple System Requirements Labs style "according to the games min/recommended requirements, you look like this:"

LewieP on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yes. This.

And then even if they don't see it and ask again, we can belittle them for not seeing the aforementioned big bold lime italic text.

Done.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Indeed.

I suppose you are correct, they couldn't really benchmark. They could do a simple System Requirements Labs style "according to the games min/recommended requirements, you look like this:"

"Your system has insufficient RAM. Please press here to download £60 worth of RAM."

subedii on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Old OP is still awesome.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So the new Direct2Drive deals come out in two hours. I don't know whether I should anticipate them eagerly or hide my wallet from myself so that I can't impulse buy everything.

freakish light on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Indie games, huh? I hope they don't pull the same region-locked bullshit with these, as most indie developers never do.

Of course, with their definition of RPGs, I'm eagerly anticipating Mass Effect to be on sale this week.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Suds wrote: »

Yes. This.

Done.

Nobody reads the OP anyways, it doesn't matter how big or limed or italicized you make it. Idiots will always come into the thread asking, "CAN I USE MAI CD-KEYS TO REGISTAR TIHS GAEM ON STEEM??/"

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Guys I just bought 18 copies of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (they were super expensive because I paid in Euros), can I gift them to Gabe Newell so that he gives me a copy of L4D2 without me having to purchase it (I'm boycotting it because of the DRM)?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New deals are up. Luckily it's nothing that I desperately want or don't own already.

http://www.direct2drive.com/d2dturns5

highlights: Mount and Blade, Defense Grid, World of Goo all $5

freakish light on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New deals are up. Luckily it's nothing that I desperately want or don't own already.

Cogs is also fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Jragghen on
  • Cold FusionCold Fusion Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Everybody needs to buy Mount & Blade for five dollars.

Cold Fusion on
    1309077-1.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've already finished FEAR 2. In a way I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it, even though it was actually pretty good.

I don't really know how I feel about the DLC. First it seems like it'll be different from the main game, but then turns out to be pretty much the same.
    You're a Replica soldier and in the beginning you're together with the other Replica soldiers against the ATC, but then you go crazy and shoot your group at which point it becomes pretty much the same as the main game, but with a different character.

Peewi on
    edited September 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »

Ooohhhh.... You know I skimmed over it, but now I remember a newspost about it. Maybe it does merit further inquiry.
    This product is a multi-language version and contains English, French, German, Italian, Polish and LOLspeak.

Really? Oh god, I don't know if I have another $5 to spend on games but ddammmnnn...

freakish light on
    edited September 2009
    Guys I just bought 18 copies of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (they were super expensive because I paid in Euros), can I gift them to Gabe Newell so that he gives me a copy of L4D2 without me having to purchase it (I'm boycotting it because of the DRM)?

Only if you head to Australia and intercept him at the airport.

subedii on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »

Ooohhhh.... You know I skimmed over it, but now I remember a newspost about it. Maybe it does merit further inquiry.
    This product is a multi-language version and contains English, French, German, Italian, Polish and LOLspeak.

Really? Oh god, I don't know if I have another $5 to spend on games but ddammmnnn...

Hell, I have it and I wasn't aware of that :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ECnXFNemo

This video was my first introduction to the game, and why I picked it up. It's very simple in premise, very simple gameplay, but it was fun. *shrug*

Some of the later levels are just ridiculous, though.

Jragghen on
    edited September 2009
    How is the Saints Row 2 PC port? I see that deal is still up there and you can apparently put that key directly into Steam.

Uselesswarrior on
    edited September 2009
    Well, performance is kinda wonky, but it works fine for me and it's the most fun you can have. Coop is fucking awesome too, we do it all the time, there is a SR2 coop PA steam group. Check the SR2 game on thread, we have many screenshots and videos.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How is the Saints Row 2 PC port? I see that deal is still up there and you can apparently put that key directly into Steam.

Give the Saints Row 2 Game On thread a read through. It has some good info about specs, and also details the problems with the port (and if it will affect you.)
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=100919

If you have the hardware to run it, and can put up with a poor interface and quirks, it is one hell of an awesome game. The coop games I've played with other PA'ers have been the stuff of legend.

IdolNinja on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hardware it not always the problem, I can run almost any other game great, but I have to make SR2 look like early PS2 games just so I can play it. Still tons of fun though.

Xtarath on
    edited September 2009
    Xtarath, just remember our lovely time trafficking drugs and slaugtering hundreds.

Anything is worth enduring to get that.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2009
    The Windows 7 RC has a problem for some people (apparently not everyone) where it runs at about 1.5x speed, making it unplayable in multi and irritating in single player. I'm just dual booting XP and 7 now.

freakish light on
This discussion has been closed.