As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Buy A Laptop!

AriviaArivia I Like A ChallengeEarth-1Registered User regular
So, by the grace of a fine season in beaver pelt fees, an adjunct of the Dominion of Canada known as the Province of Ontario has seen fit to give me money for a new laptop.

Not just some money, though. My budget is $2000 CAD. Out of that $2000, I want to get a laptop and some sort of extended warranty. Taxes are applicable, and they are 13%. I can throw in an extra $100 if absolutely necessary. Educational discounts are fine, straight-up dated sales aren't (I have to submit quotes and so on, yay!)

Minimum requirements:
-Runs World of Warcraft in 25-person raids without gagging (at 1400x900)
-At least a three hour battery life. If I can skip replacing a battery due to its charge dropping under three hours in the next two years (assuming 24 full recharge cycles a year), that would be fantastic. (Three hours is the longest class at my university. A not-insignificant portion of lecture halls don't have power outlets at the desk.)

Now, now, I know, all of this so far sounds like usual H&A garble. But I'm wondering about some specific issues and I think people who actually know which end of a HTML document is the <head> would be a help.

Models I've been looking at include:

-A 13" MacBook Pro. Starting off with the 2.26GHz/$1299 educational model (yes, the old regular MacBook), upping it to 4GB RAM and a 320GB hard disk, and including 3 years of AppleCare, comes to about $2080 with educational discount. Has a GeForce 9400M and a few other doo-dads.
-A ThinkPad T500. Start off with the 2.53GHz/recordable DVD drive model (about $1300, I think, left that page), up it to 4GB RAM, and a 250GB hard disk. Go for 3 years of "ThinkPlus 3 Year Onsite 9x5 Next Business Day Warranty and Maintenance Option." Has a nine-cell battery and a few other doo-dads. Comes out to about $2034.
-A Dell Studio XPS 16. Start off with the 500GB/Radeon 4670 model ($1299, but Dell's pricing is screwy). Don't need to up the RAM or hard disk, but with 3 years of "3 Years Next Business Onsite/In Home Service with CompleteCare," it comes to about $2122. I filed the Dell sound and wireless off.

My basic issue is what I'm perceiving as quality against strength. See, I've been on an okay Toshiba Satellite with Intel integrated graphics for the last three years. It's been alright (1.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, terrible sound), but it's not been fun fighting with issues of consumer quality and its total lack of graphical wherewithal.

And so, three years on, part of me is like "Hey! You can play WoW at more than 5 fps! You can not have window clipping issues and actually game on this thing!" and yet the part of me that's a little wiser is like "Fine. But get something that will stay working and well until you can replace it."

Quite obviously, the Dell is the beefiest. But I've heard mixed things about them and the battery life worries me.

The Lenovo is reliable, quite obviously. ThinkPads are legendary in aspect. This is the safe option. The warranties are confusing, though.

The Apple...well, yes, I'm an Arts major and I'm bought into the iPod/iTunes ecosystem. The allure is high. Additionally, I work for an on/off campus magazine and being able to do layout from home on one of their CS licenses would be really great sometimes. However, the 9400M sounds a bit eh graphically - like, it'd work for WoW and other midrange stuff, but if I could play upcoming titles like Dragon Age, I'd be ecstatic.

Additional question: Quite obviously, right now these would likely ship with Vista. I'd grab the free upgrade to 7 of course. But what edition of Vista do I need to get to not get screwed over by the upgrade. Is Home/Business Premium enough or do I need to go to Ultimate? (Obviously, 32-bit editions need not apply, and I'd grab a $30 Win7 license for the MBP.)

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

huntresssig.jpg
Arivia on

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.amazon.com/Acer-6920-6422-16-inch-Processor-Ultimate/dp/B0018YQHHW/

Seems about the best I can find for your price range. If it was me buying it I'd get a refund ($30-50) on Vista and install Ubuntu.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Get the cheapest 15" Macbook Pro with a dedicated GPU.

[edit: turns out that'll put you over budget. I think you should save up a little more and go for it, if you're set on a performance laptop.]

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • 0blique0blique Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you opt for the macbook, I suggest you upgrade the RAM and the hard drive yourself; you'll save a lot of money since Apply greatly overprices these. You'd have to check to make sure your warranty will still be valid (I'd imagine it should be).

0blique on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RAM and HD changes are allowed by Apple. So are a lot of other changes, including certain case mods and weird stuff like replacing the optical drive with a blu-ray player or another hard drive.

You just need to tell them what you've done in detail before sending it in for warranty service so they don't throw away or bother troubleshooting your 3rd party blu-ray drive. Likewise, if you bought RAM or an HDD, they'll make sure to move it to a new machine if you need the whole thing replaced.

Just a note, Macs are absolutely not the portable best gaming machines or anywhere near the top bang for your buck, but I think they're pretty rad and the hardware build quality is excellent.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Both the Macbook and the Thinkpad you can upgrade the RAM and Hard drive on your own. For the Macbook, have you looked at buying Apple Care on eBay? It's a lot cheaper, just make sure you're buying from a legit source.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Seems about the best I can find for your price range. If it was me buying it I'd get a refund ($30-50) on Vista and install Ubuntu.

I like Linux (I've handrolled my own Gentoo installation in the past), but it's not for me and what I'm looking for in a computer right now. I'd go from Vista to 7, like I said, instead.
    bobmyknob wrote: »
    Both the Macbook and the Thinkpad you can upgrade the RAM and Hard drive on your own. For the Macbook, have you looked at buying Apple Care on eBay? It's a lot cheaper, just make sure you're buying from a legit source.

The only issue with this is that, like I said, I'm basically getting the money for this through a pseudo government-bid process. I get to submit three quotes and one gets picked and each one should be one fully detailed invoice or receipt. I realize it's cheaper, but it's not something that works for me this way right now. The only way I could conceivably see that working would be if I bought a laptop and ram and a hard disk all at once in one place, which would be...interesting. And difficult to explain.

Edit: To clarify, this is why I presented a few things I was looking at and then some follow-up questions. I don't want this to be "do my work for me with increasingly arcane requirements," I just haven't kept up on hardware/brand quality in the last few years and am a little lost.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Re: Macbook Pro 13":

It's cheaper to buy new RAM and a new HDD online and throw away the stock hardware than it is to use the Apple online store's Build to Order options. So if you want, go to a big merchant like Amazon and get the laptop, bigger HDD, and 4GB of RAM there. Hopefully you can also score the education discount too.

Pick up a USB-SATA enclosure while you're at it for the stock HDD. It's $24 and worth it for the storage.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

What kind of GPU does that have? Cause I bought an HP with the same processor, RAM, and screen for $700 less.

SirToasty on
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I vote Macbook Pro 13", will run WoW great (yes 9400 is integrated, but WoW ran perfectly on my old 6200, also integrated and alot worse of a card) plus the new MacBook Pro is great.

Wezoin on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    contraband wrote: »

[edit: turns out that'll put you over budget. I think you should save up a little more and go for it, if you're set on a performance laptop.]

Nice stealth windows shill work there :)

[edit] to be more serious, it always seemed to me that for notebooks, looking out for a good discount is important. There are always coupon codes for the US sites as well don't know about Canada though.

For instance with this deal You could get a notebook (HP HDX16t) with a 130M video card (should be decent enough) for $750.

Just buy two of those and say fuck it to way overpriced extended warranties.

Then again you are in Canada so maybe notebooks freeze to death or something.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited September 2009

[edit] to be more serious, it always seemed to me that for notebooks, looking out for a good discount is important. There are always coupon codes for the US sites as well don't know about Canada though.

For instance with this deal You could get a notebook (HP HDX16t) with a 130M video card (should be decent enough) for $750.

Coupon codes for Canada are almost non-existant. Its terrible.

Also, I have my doubts that "Here's $2000 for a laptop" can be turned into "Heres $2000 for two laptops for yourself" and will more than likely end up being turned into "Oh you can get by with a $750 laptop? We'll just give you $750 then"

Wezoin on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As with anything Apple <-> Windows you can get more punch for your money with going Win but Apple is a choice for stability or so I hear. I have never had problems with my XP Box but I can maintain it myself easy.

For instance for 1,299 at New Egg you can get an ASUS G51VX-X1A Laptop
    -15.6" screen (1920x1080)
    -NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
    -4gig ram
    -320gig hd
    -6cell li-ion
    -Free Win7

-offer extended warranties for up $290ish

Jubal77 on
    edited September 2009
    Wezoin wrote: »

Also, I have my doubts that "Here's $2000 for a laptop" can be turned into "Heres $2000 for two laptops for yourself" and will more than likely end up being turned into "Oh you can get by with a $750 laptop? We'll just give you $750 then"

This is the same reason I'm not looking at some sort of obvious netbook+desktop deal that would fit my needs. I'm thinking it's down to the MBP and this, right now.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I have the hdx16t and the GT 130M card runs CoD4 at max settings and averages 45fps. I don't know how that would compare to WoW though. I imagine that that card would be perfectly fine for your needs.

SirToasty on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Best advice you can get here is, don't fall in love with just Processor/RAM/GPU specifics here. One very obvious, very annoying bottleneck on laptops? Green hard drives, gimped to run throttled or maxxed at 5400 RPM (or lower). If you're looking for a gaming laptop to run WoW with, trust me, a slow hard drive can be just as bad or worse as a slow GPU or low RAM.

And I'll throw my recommendation in on the MBP 15". They're SATA, I think they're at least 5400 RPM although they did have some problems with the performance of the drives... not real clear if they ever cleared those up.

DietarySupplement on
    edited September 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    Wezoin wrote: »

This is the same reason I'm not looking at some sort of obvious netbook+desktop deal that would fit my needs. I'm thinking it's down to the MBP and this, right now.

Uh, I'm sorry... but no, just no... I'm not letting you buy a 17.3" laptop. That thing will become the bane of your existence. Especially not one thats that expensive and when you're considering a MBP as an alternative.

If you REALLY want the dedicated GPU go for the cheapest 15" MBP because it has a 9400 for low power stuff and 9600 for higher power stuff. It only knocks you slightly over budget, and thats only if you buy the 3 year warranty with it (which you could buy up to a year later yourself if you can't find the extra cash to put in now)

Wezoin on
  • TheManTheMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I need a new laptop too. Thought I'd start a new thread but I guess I'll hijack this one since it isn't being used very much (I posted this in the gaming section but I'm hoping to get more replies here...)-

Ok, I'm a total noob when it comes to buying laptops (never regularly used one until my 9 year old main comp started breaking down a couple of months ago) so I'm coming to you guys for advice. The laptop will be used mainly for internet browsing and writing reports. However, my wife does want to do some video editing, and I'm into games so the laptop will need to be fairly beefed up.

Any models/brands that I should strongly consider buying or avoiding?

Assuming I treat it well, how long can I reasonably expect a laptop to last?

What kind of warranty should I get?

Remember, my budget is only 1000 dollars. Is that too little for a decent gaming laptop?

As an aside, Windows 7 is coming out next month, so I'd like to wait until then before I buy the laptop.
    Thanks for the help!

TheMan on
    edited September 2009
    TheMan wrote: »
    I need a new laptop too. Thought I'd start a new thread but I guess I'll hijack this one since it isn't being used very much (I posted this in the gaming section but I'm hoping to get more replies here...)-

Ok, I'm a total noob when it comes to buying laptops (never regularly used one until my 9 year old main comp started breaking down a couple of months ago) so I'm coming to you guys for advice. The laptop will be used mainly for internet browsing and writing reports. However, my wife does want to do some video editing, and I'm into games so the laptop will need to be fairly beefed up.

Any models/brands that I should strongly consider buying or avoiding?

Assuming I treat it well, how long can I reasonably expect a laptop to last?

What kind of warranty should I get?

Remember, my budget is only 1000 dollars. Is that too little for a decent gaming laptop?

As an aside, Windows 7 is coming out next month, so I'd like to wait until then before I buy the laptop.
    Thanks for the help!

Gaming/video editing is not the kind of thing you want to be doing on a laptop. If I were you I would say pick up a Netbook for $300 - $400 and then spend the rest on a desktop. Desktop gets you more power for cheaper, netbook gets you portability.

Problems with gaming laptops -
    1) REALLY HEAVY
    2) Overheat
    3) No upgradeability
    4) Crappy battery life
    5) Noisy as hell
    6) Overpriced
    7) A year from now you have a laptop that can't play games, overheats, has terrible battery life, and is noisy.

Wezoin on
  • Jazz SamuraiJazz Samurai Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -At least a three hour battery life. If I can skip replacing a battery due to its charge dropping under three hours in the next two years (assuming 24 full recharge cycles a year), that would be fantastic. (Three hours is the longest class at my university. A not-insignificant portion of lecture halls don't have power outlets at the desk.)

Is this a typo, or do you NEVER unplug your laptop? I got a new battery for my MBP under warranty at the beginning of July, and I've had 63 charge cycles since.

Jazz Samurai on
    yup
    edited September 2009

Is this a typo, or do you NEVER unplug your laptop? I got a new battery for my MBP under warranty at the beginning of July, and I've had 63 charge cycles since.

I generally only take my laptop to class/school for my three-hour night classes, of which you generally get twelve a semester in two semesters. So maybe 48 if I have two.

edit: my current Toshiba is a 17" monstrosity, so that may have something to do with it.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What about this HP from tiger direct canada. Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 16" Screen, 1GB dedicated graphics. Also has HDMI output, media card reader and a 500GB HD. Cost is $1,279.99 + 280.98 for 2 year extended warranty and + 13% tax comes out to 1763.89.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    @ TheMan: I think this HP (again from tiger direct) looks like something you might like. Right now it's $899, comes with Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 17" screen, Blu-ray/DVD/RW, 512MB dedicated graphics memory. OOH, plus it has the LED screen which is sweet.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Crashtard wrote: »
    @ TheMan: I think this HP (again from tiger direct) looks like something you might like. Right now it's $899, comes with Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 17" screen, Blu-ray/DVD/RW, 512MB dedicated graphics memory. OOH, plus it has the LED screen which is sweet.

That does look good and it does fall under budget. If that comp is the same price or lower after windows 7 comes out, I'll consider it. Anyone own an HP laptop? This laptop comes with a 12 month warranty from HP...would getting a laptop with an extended warranty be worth it?

TheMan on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nearly every manufacturer is offering a free upgrade (or "pay shipping only") upgrade to an equivalent version of Win7, so don't feel like you have to wait a month on that account.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited September 2009

That does look good and it does fall under budget. If that comp is the same price or lower after windows 7 comes out, I'll consider it. Anyone own an HP laptop? This laptop comes with a 12 month warranty from HP...would getting a laptop with an extended warranty be worth it?

This is a personal opinion from experiences I have had but I stay away from HP like the plague. Thier Customer Service is worse than any I have ever delt with. EVER.

Jubal77 on
    edited September 2009
    Jubal77 wrote: »

This is a personal opinion from experiences I have had but I stay away from HP like the plague. Thier Customer Service is worse than any I have ever delt with. EVER.

care to elaborate?

TheMan on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I can vouch for these laptops. I have an Aspire 5920G and it is awesome. I paid €425 (around $620) six months ago and it's been performing perfectly. With a 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB ram, 250GB drive and a Radeon 3470, it plays WoW at near to highest settings at it's native resolution with no problem at all. The battery lasts just over three hours and I never even unplug it most of the time - just last week I had to and it still gave over three hours battery life.

The laptop quoted by Zilla has a GeForce 9500M, which would play Dragon Age just fine, and WoW would be no problem. Again, I can vouch for these laptops. I'm extremely happy with mine.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited September 2009
    Jubal77 wrote: »

care to elaborate?

I am in charge of ordering computers and laptops for a company of approximately 2000 or so. When I took this job the prior employee ordered tons of HP Printers and a few Laptops. I havent had much experience with the desktop but I imagine they funnel through the same CS department.

The last call I had with them I had a printer that was DOA. I was the tech in charge of the install so I called up HP and they ran me through the typical procedure to narrow the problem. It was the formatter board so they needed to send another. Remember this Printer was brand new just out of the box. They wanted to charge 60 bucks to send a REFURB to us. This was not acceptable to me and so I asked if there was anyone I could talk to about this. They took my info down and I had to wait for a call back. No way to get past tier 1 I guess.

I got an email from someone stating that it was company policy to send "used" (they used the work refurb)units for replacements and that the charge was for processing and the warranty would be extended yadda yadda. What good is a warranty when it has a damn deductible of sorts.

I talked to the department about this circumstance and they didnt want to pay the cash as you will understand we are budgeted and they didnt have a CC anyway. So I emailed back the vendor I purchased the printer from and he asked but had no options even with it being DOA they had no return plan for these types of items. So I emailed back the HP tech and no response. I called up HP and my Case had been closed.... wtf? I had to run through the damn debugging procedures again to get a new case generated and they still wanted to charge me.

After a chat with my boss and the department it was decided that they would pay the 60 bucks and so I called back HP and the tech I got looked at my case file which had been closed again! If you ever talk to HP CS do not hang up the damn phone until your case is resolved as I guess they close the case at the end of the phone call. I told the Rep I had on the phone now about the case and he said well we will send out a replacement one for free to you....

I WILL FUCKIN KILL YOU! /hatebeam

After about a month of working with a different CS Rep each time I got the damn thing replaced for free by damn luck of the draw. Fuckin HP.

Jubal77 on
    edited October 2009
    I ended up submitting quotes today finally, and when told to pick one as the one I'd actually get the money for, I went with the Macbook. Thanks everyone!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg