As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XBLA & PC] Gyromancer: Square-Enix & PopCap take on Puzzle Quest

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
gyromancer5-1.jpg
gyromancer7-1.jpg
gyromancer1-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi6XcAtrgn8
From GamerBytes:
A couple of weeks ago we spoke of Gyromancer, an upcoming Xbox Live Arcade title being published by Square Enix. Now the game has been officially announced, but what surprises us is that PopCap are also involved.

Gyromancer mixes the world of Bejeweled, specifically Bejeweled Blitz, and has created a Puzzle RPG similar to Puzzle Quest. You rotate jewels within a square in order to connect 3 or more together, which allows you to cast spells against your rival.

It does look a lot like Puzzle Quest, but it has a gigantic slap of polish on top of it. It's got all the spectacle of a Final Fantasy game, but in a puzzle setting.

There is no current date set for the game, but I would expect it to come out sometime next year.

It's very clearly inspired by Puzzle Quest, but considering Square Enix has tons of RPG experience and PopCap has tons of puzzle experience, I would wager this could be an insanely well-balanced and extremely polished iteration of the puzzle-RPG subgenre. And if there's one thing Puzzle Quest desperately needed, it was polish. As a PQ devotee, I'm way excited.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    It's very clearly inspired by Puzzle Quest, but considering Square Enix has tons of RPG experience and PopCap has tons of puzzle experience, I would wager this could be an insanely well-balanced and extremely polished iteration of the puzzle-RPG subgenre. And if there's one thing Puzzle Quest desperately needed, it was polish. As a PQ devotee, I'm way excited.

Truth. I loved PQ, but damn if it didn't need both better balance and more polish.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As long as the computer isn't always 300 steps ahead of the player, this will be good.

Not to say I still don't fucking love PQ. I have both on DS and never go anywhere without them!

Morvidus on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think this is sailing very close to the 'inspired by'/'ripping off' border, but as a consumer rather than an employee of whatever company made Puzzle Quest I can happily ignore that and just be hopeful for a shiny new game.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »
    As long as the computer isn't always 300 steps ahead of the player, this will be good.

Not to say I still don't fucking love PQ. I have both on DS and never go anywhere without them!

Goddamn cheating-whore AI. Oh, you moved one piece and five skulls fell down magically in a column? Screw you!

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    shame it's on XBLA, for me these types of games are ideal for handhelds...

and, i've bought like every iteration of the PQ games

TyrantCow on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »

Having a touch screen or mouse is really a requirement for me, true. :|

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was so disappointed with Galactrix after loving PQ so much, that it will take a very good game indeed to make me purchase another one.

El Guaco on
    edited September 2009
    yeah, i liked to one after Galactrix more than Galactrix... even still, i played Galactrix all the way through

- 'even still'?
    wtf does that mean...

TyrantCow on
  • HypertimeHypertime Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tried out my first Gyromancer summon:
    21gyros.jpeg

Niiiiiiiice.

Hypertime on
    Your mom.
    edited September 2009
    yeah, i liked to one after Galactrix more than Galactrix... even still, i played Galactrix all the way through

- 'even still'?
    wtf does that mean...

Galactrix is the last one so far.

Morvidus on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Goddamn I love me some original PQ.

I will be lining up digitally to buy this day one.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2009
    ... there was another game published by a different company; but, boasted "BY THE MAKERS OF PUZZLE QUEST" all over it... slightly different puzzle mechanics and you have a 'team' of four 'heroes'

maybe it was called Puzzle Kingdom? i forget.

TyrantCow on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah. And according to most reviews I read, it was much more of a sequel to PQ than Galactrix was.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, Puzzle Kingdoms. It's like a puzzle/civilization type game, but I've never been able to stay awake long enough in any strategy game to enjoy it...

Morvidus on
  • AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Me loves Puzzle / Galaxy quest.
    Me will loves this.
    Lulz omg.

Seriously though, looks good.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wont lie. That shit looks fuckin awesome.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

If it were successful, I don't think Square-Enix and PopCap would have any qualms with bringing it to every platform under the sun: DS, PSP, WiiWare/PSN, iPhone, the works.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This looks shit hot. PopCap knows its puzzle games, and SquareEnix brings the polish and RPG mechanics, and you've potentially got a Puzzle Quest knockoff thats better than the original. If anyone can do it, these are the developers to do it.

Also, its not just on XBLA, it will also be on Steam.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay, I think we're missing something here:

The potentional hilarity of this announcement

Square Enix and PopCap working together? What could this mean?

FFVII Bejeweled? Line up 3 Aerises (Aerisii?) in a row, and that ends your game

Chrono Peggle? Now, normal Peggle is augmented with time-shifting- so you have to take into account your past and future marbles- because you will be using them, repeatedly.

Feeding Frenzies 2-8 are already announced

Plants v. Zombies Fabula Nova Chrysalis Saga Exa Maximum Trisius?

The World Ends With Zuma? Spit out Noise to chain 3 CDs together! Play against the clock or for your very lives! Fun for the whole family!

I welcome this change, just for the photoshops that will occur

Rent on
    edited September 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Okay, I think we're missing something here:

The potentional hilarity of this announcement

Square Enix and PopCap working together? What could this mean?

FFVII Bejeweled? Line up 3 Aerises (Aerisii?) in a row, and that ends your game

Chrono Peggle? Now, normal Peggle is augmented with time-shifting- so you have to take into account your past and future marbles- because you will be using them, repeatedly.

Feeding Frenzies 2-8 are already announced

Plants v. Zombies Fabula Nova Chrysalis Saga Exa Maximum Trisius?

The World Ends With Zuma? Spit out Noise to chain 3 CDs together! Play against the clock or for your very lives! Fun for the whole family!

I welcome this change, just for the photoshops that will occur

Bold was already done, and believe it or not, it actually did end your game!

Morvidus on
    edited September 2009
    The World Ends With Zuma

:^:

Though in a right and just world, Square-Enix would reuse assets from FFXIII in order to make the most jawdroppingly beautiful 3-D console version of Bookworm Adventures, starring Shivabike.

Lunker on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This looks like fun. I will totally be looking forward to getting this when it comes out.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited September 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    The World Ends With Zuma

:^:

Though in a right and just world, Square-Enix would reuse assets from FFXIII in order to make the most jawdroppingly beautiful 3-D console version of Bookworm Adventures, starring Shivabike.

I remember when I was writing up the "Chrono Peggle" entry and thinking, "That actually sounds like a really fucking cool game"

Could you imagine Peggle where going back and forward in time changes your board as well as which marble you're on, i.e. changing powerups? I think that sounds like a cool game

Rent on
    edited September 2009
    Oh yeah

All the minigames in future FFs will now be fuckawesome

Morvidus: What the fuck?

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

HAHAHAH
    BWAHAHAHA

BWAHAHAH

Rent on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hypertime wrote: »
    Tried out my first Gyromancer summon:
    21gyros.jpeg

Niiiiiiiice.

So good :0

Puzzle Kingdoms wasn't that great IMO. The AI was beyond bad and they really nerfed spells to shit.

This looks pretty good though.

aBlank on
    edited September 2009
    Ooh, hands-on details from IGN:
    September 24, 2009 - Two major, but perhaps unlikely, forces in gaming are teaming up to bring you another puzzle game with RPG elements. Square Enix has formed a giant Voltron robot with PopCap in order to create Gyromancer, a very Puzzle Questish game for Xbox Live Arcade and PC. It's on the show floor here at the Tokyo Game Show and we (literally) took it for a spin.

Just like in Puzzle Quest, players move about from location to location on an overworld map and get into battles with monsters that are settled in a Bejewelled-style match three game. PopCap steps in to handle the puzzle part and modeled it after Bejewelled Twist so that players rotate four gems clockwise instead of swapping two at a time (an item can be used to reverse the flow of your spinner). Exposition is delivered via still art in cut scenes.

"We've always enjoyed a strong partnership with PopCap Games and Gyromancer represents our goal of developing unique gaming experiences, "said John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix, in a statement released today. "We believe that Gyromancer will appeal not only to core gamers, but will further introduce the RPG genre to casual gamers as well."

Our hero, Rivel, has the ability to summon monsters. He can have three beasts with him at a time but can only take one into battle. Before hitting the gem field he'll have to choose the right monster for the job. The beasts aren't healed after a fight and they can perish, so managing your pack does take some strategy. There are over 50 monsters to be summoned, but only a few are available from the start. After a battle you'll gain experience which leads to new beasts. In the early stages of the game we fought enemies like Cait Sith with a Power Beetle.

Damage is dealt by matching gems that are the same color as your chosen monster. You can spin the dial without creating a match, but doing so will curse a gem on screen. If you don't clear the cursed gem within a handful of turns, you'll take damage.

Gyromancer seems like a lot of fun and it comes from two fantastic developers. Look for it on XBLA and PC soon.

Lunker on
  • LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I want this, so bad. as someone who was an obsessive PQ player, I drooled over this. By "coming soon" they better mean, next week. hahaha. Day 1 purchase, definitely.

Lethardicus on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This would be cooler if Bejeweled Twist wasn't complete garbage.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah. And according to most reviews I read, it was much more of a sequel to PQ than Galactrix was.

Definitely true. Unfortunately, they removed the "good" when they made Kingdoms. It just felt tedious and boring to me. I enjoyed Galactrix, except that for some reason my copy (Steam) would randomly crash to desktop at short intervals.

I guess what I'm saying it, hooray if this is a spiritual descendent of PQ that actually works.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »

Definitely true. Unfortunately, they removed the "good" when they made Kingdoms. It just felt tedious and boring to me. I enjoyed Galactrix, except that for some reason my copy (Steam) would randomly crash to desktop at short intervals.

I guess what I'm saying it, hooray if this is a spiritual descendent of PQ that actually works.

Seriously. Both Galactrix and PK were terrible for different reasons, but I have faith that Square and PopCap can remedy this current lack of puzzle RPG goodness.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited September 2009
    I heard many people detail the issues with Galactrix but what specifically was wrong with Kingdoms? It seemed to just entirely fly under the radar for me.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I heard many people detail the issues with Galactrix but what specifically was wrong with Kingdoms? It seemed to just entirely fly under the radar for me.

Abysmal AI. There doesn't seem to be any AI "strategy" just do shit randomly. Often it would do shit that simply didn't make ANY sense. The battle system is just plain un-fun and manages to be even more repetitive than Puzzle Quest. In PQ, you could at least skip random encounters with a higher level mount or wipe out most "trash" mobs (and bosses O_o) in a single turn.

Spells are (mostly) worthless, units are clear upgrades/downgrades so there's not so much diversity in play-style, and all the customization options are basically worthless because you run into the obvious upgrade/downgrade problem.

Some of the mini-games are alright (I liked the "wipe out the board" one) but there's little else that was redeeming about the game.

aBlank on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also, in PK you'll rarely be using spells, rather it will be your troops attacking, and there's really no difference between them. All the cool non-damage spells that rocked so hard in PQ...well, not so much in PK.

Any idea about a release date? And when the inevitable lawsuit will come?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh holy crap. Nice team-up of companies there. It's been said before, but even if this just winds up being Puzzle Quest with a hell of a lot more polish, I'll eat that shit up.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    templewulf wrote: »

Goddamn cheating-whore AI. Oh, you moved one piece and five skulls fell down magically in a column? Screw you!

I gotta quote this. I recently started playing PQ again and it's addicting as hell, but FUCK if it isn't full of bullshit. I haven't raged this hard at a game in years and I can be a pretty angry person at times.

Aside from what templewulf mentioned, the following scenario has made me rage quit PQ a few times and go play something else:

Highest cunning goes first. Enemy starts. OH WTF? 5 fucking skulls lined up with two 5 point skulls in the line. Then the enemy gets six turns in a row which lands me at under half health before I even get a turn? GG.

All that said, this game looks like it could be good. I wonder what the story is going to be like? The art direction is fantastic. Has anyone else found themselves far more excited for XBLA releases than full retail games as of late?

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    when's this come out?

TyrantCow on
    edited September 2009
    templewulf wrote: »

I gotta quote this. I recently started playing PQ again and it's addicting as hell, but FUCK if it isn't full of bullshit. I haven't raged this hard at a game in years and I can be a pretty angry person at times.

Aside from what templewulf mentioned, the following scenario has made me rage quit PQ a few times and go play something else:

Highest cunning goes first. Enemy starts. OH WTF? 5 fucking skulls lined up with two 5 point skulls in the line. Then the enemy gets six turns in a row which lands me at under half health before I even get a turn? GG.

All that said, this game looks like it could be good. I wonder what the story is going to be like? The art direction is fantastic. Has anyone else found themselves far more excited for XBLA releases than full retail games as of late?

It has been said many times that the AI does not cheat. It doesn't know what is off screen any more than you do and just makes clears with the best odds of a chain kicking off. You have had just as much luck, you just notice it more when the enemy does it.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For the love of all that is video games, please let's not start yet another thread that debates whether or not the AI cheats in Puzzle Quest. It's been disproven. You're just unlucky sometimes. End of story.

http://forums.infinite-interactive.com/showpost.php?p=1329#2133
    Hi All,

I can definitely state that the AI in NO way cheats, nor does it know what gems are going to fall. I wrote the AI code myself, so I am 100% certain of this.

Look at it another way...
    a) I am a programmer, so I'm basically lazy
    b) Writing a cheating AI with look-ahead & multiple board evaluations is a LOT more work than writing a non-cheating AI that merely evaluates a single board
    c) If I wanted to make the game harder, I actually would have done the LAZY thing and just given the monsters more Life Points

Cheers

-Steve

El Guaco on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, pretty much.

I'm playing through it again on my iPhone, and for every lucky cascade the AI gets, I get a lucky cascade. The AI will often miss obvious matches of four or five too.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't think the AI in PQ cheats, it's just that those lucky breaks are usually MUCH more to the computer's advantage. X amount of damage that pops up randomly is usually a bigger percentage of your health than the computers - at least for the boss fights and sieges that they really seem to make or break.

It could also just be a bigger deal for me because I played druid. But yeah, I can only play pq for like an hour before the nonsense annoys me to hell.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif