As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for the something as good as Deus Ex

2»

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Universal ammo is good

Micro-managing 30493 different type of ammo is just a monumental pain in the ass.

Robman on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Elitistb wrote: »
    Deus Ex 2 wasn't as bad as people say, especially if you just want the gameplay and don't mind the story so much.
    Saw this on page 1 and just want to add some to this.

"Deus Ex 2 wasn't as bad as people say, especially if you just want the gameplay and don't mind the story, the weapons, the inventory, the lack of upgradable elements such as skills, the lack of locational damage, and the ammunition."
    I played Deus Ex 2 before I played Deus Ex (I bought them in a Deus Ex pack, and was told that it'd be better to play it in this order) and I thought the gameplay was fine. The ammo thing didn't bother me at all, I don't remember having any problems with the inventory (and really, was Deus Ex's inventory all that great?), and I don't really like too much RPG in my FPS anyway, so.... YMMV?

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Deus Ex's inventory was pretty great.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Elitistb wrote: »
    Deus Ex 2 wasn't as bad as people say, especially if you just want the gameplay and don't mind the story so much.
    Saw this on page 1 and just want to add some to this.

"Deus Ex 2 wasn't as bad as people say, especially if you just want the gameplay and don't mind the story, the weapons, the inventory, the lack of upgradable elements such as skills, the lack of locational damage, and the ammunition."
    I played Deus Ex 2 before I played Deus Ex (I bought them in a Deus Ex pack, and was told that it'd be better to play it in this order) and I thought the gameplay was fine. The ammo thing didn't bother me at all, I don't remember having any problems with the inventory (and really, was Deus Ex's inventory all that great?), and I don't really like too much RPG in my FPS anyway, so.... YMMV?

Deus Ex 2 isn't thaaat bad. Although I did stop playing for some reason as I lost interest as soon as I hit Egypt.

Oooo

TRON 2.0 now that's a FPS/RPG/LIGHTCYCLE hybrid :mrgreen:

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    Deus Ex's inventory was pretty great.
    I do love me some Tetris

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I liked deus ex 2 more than deus ex original. I am probably the only person in the world who can say that.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You won't be after I find you and waterboard you.

Hoz on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Independently of DX1, DX2 had some pretty severe problems. Like the smallness and shittyness of some levels. I mean, that german city was barely a block big. And the guy in the café told me that the place I wanted to find was on the other side of town. it was like 50m away. That's just sad. The game kinda fell apart close to the end. The plot wasn't as good as it could have been. The engine sucked hard at the time, luckily our modern PCs can run it fine.

And the single ammo pool was fucking retarded. You couldn't change weapons if you ran out of ammo with a completely different weapon, and that's a strategic use of ammo that takes place in most games. I'm not asking for a complex ammo management sim, but 99.99999% of FPS games have multiple ammo types without any fussing or complication.

The inventory was also too small.

But it's not as bad as most people say. It's worth a playthrough.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Why are there only three FPS/RPG hybrids? Bloodlines, System Shock, Deus Ex. Are those kinds of games difficult to develop or something?

Bioshock, No One Lives Forever 2, Fallout 3, etc. would like to have a word with you.

See, I thought we were talking about RPG/FPS games. I mean...more people are mentioning these games than, say, Mass effect.

Anyway, I'm going to put a pre-preemptive recommendation for Alpha protocol. Especially because it was designed by Chris freaking Avelone

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's no better game than DX in my opinion. The only one that comes close, very close is Ultima 7: The Black Gate but that is ancient by your standards.

Never expect a game to be like DX. Expect them to be different and fun.

Borys on
  • Options
    vantheovantheo Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Hello,

I like MAN Hunt, Although I also played Deus EX, anyone tried deus ex invisible wars and The Conspiracy? , These days I'm playing KILL Switch its good too.

vantheo on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My final gripe with DX2, and where I stopped playing it, was the part where you're forced to make a decision between 2 groups. Then the people you piss off say "We're sending assassins after you, asshole." Then you kill the assassins. Then they say, "Okay, well, it looks like you learned your lesson. Now we need you to..."

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Only three pages. Maaaan, there should be a dozen Deus Ex clones.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Only three pages. Maaaan, there should be a dozen Deus Ex clones.

The problem is that the instant as a producer goes to his team and says "hey, how wanna make a Deus Ex clone?", the mere mention of Deus Ex mandates that the entire team reinstall it, effectively making it impossible to actually start working on such a game.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Try the Too Human demo. You may like or hate it, it's a crapshoot. But it's worth trying.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Too human? I think more people need to go and reinstall DX.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Too Human is nothing like DX at all.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    TRON 2.0

This game doesn't get nearly the kind of love it deserves. And I know this may seem hard to believe, but it really does scratch the DX itch. It's by the folks who did No One Lives Forever, after all, and while it's more linear than Deus Ex it's also immensely fun, gorgeous, and crammed with experience and levels and upgradeable weapons and abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0BusKeMb40

Jacobkosh on